SHED MATTERS 2

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: SHED MATTERS 2

Post by Stanley »

Not a lot to tell you actually, it's been a busy, repetitious and quite boring morning. I decided I'd do some cosmetic work, get some finish onto the crosshead slides and the raising blocks for the pedestal bearings. So, get the two jaw on and take light cuts over three faces on each.

The crosshead slides looking a bit more presentable....

By 10AM all the raising blocks were done and some more filing on the rounded edges....

Last job was to pop the 3 jaw back on and clean the small amount of light swarf and chips up. Like I said, repetitious work but well worth it when you look at the result. A good morning in the shed!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Late up this morning and having an easy day.... I was a bit delicate yesterday. No big problem but every now and again I have an off day. I shall be kind to myself..... Anyway, there is no push until I have the castings as so much of the work from now on depends on having them machined and laced together.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've decided to mill the curve on the target plates. I need the rotary table on for this so the vise came off. I decided to check its base to make sure it was flat. Castings move over time and it's a good thing to check every now and again. The easiest way to do this is to draw file it with a big flat file....

Here's the result, worth doing, I took it down until I was hitting the high spots all over. It was most out of truth on the edges and round the central hole. I could go further and grind it dead flat on the surface plate but there's not a lot of point because it's probably more accurate than the bed of the VM! We're talking a tenth of a thou here....

Next I did something I have been meaning t6o do for a while. The central hole on the rotary table is 3/8" Whitworth so I faced a 3/8" setscrew and gave it a centre hole.

Using a pointer in the chuck it's now dead easy to set the rotary table dead on the centre line of the VM. That's the crucial condition for milling curves....

I picked a cutter out and got set up but it was really dull. We need a better cutter!

I sorted out another, much sharper cutter. You can tell by the chips that I am getting a good cut. If you're wondering why the welding glove, I was using the table stop to regulate drag on the turning motion and the hot chips make it most uncomfortable.

Cutting perfectly. I was taking 50 thou with each pass which is a good cut for my El Cheapo mill. I was soon down to a perfect half circle with a good finish.

I got set up again and cut the second plate. A perfect example of the gains in making more than one engine at once. Twelve minutes cutting, that's all it took.

Knocking-off time. Not a bad result and another step forward. I've put the rotary table away, had a chip chase and put my normal 3/4" cutter back in the mill. I'll vacuum the carpet tomorrow! Nice morning.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The nest thing I want to do is put some finish on the ends of the raising blocks I gave some finish to the other day. I was considering doing some spiral sharpening on some cutters to give me the best chance and as it happened I was watching an Adam Booth Video last night of him doing exactly the same thing on a big face 6" X 4" and taking what to me were heroic cuts on his big Kearney and Trecker mill. At one point he remarked that what he loved most about the machine was its rigidity. I was sat here shouting at him "I Wish!" He was using a brand new 1" milling cutter and the finish was perfect.....
I must stop watching big VMs at work, it does me no good at all!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I watched John's YouTube video of the cylinder casting last night and a few more of his offerings including his "Fried Scones, Singing Hinnies" and their production. Overcooked the pudding a bit but they looked good. I liked the way he used a calibrated engineering gauge to test the depth of his rolling out of the dough, "ya need it about a half inch thick, 17/32nd's that'll be reet." :grin:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A new use for the Mitutoyo digital calliper. I laughed at it as well....

I started the day by reading the destructions for relieving the flutes on an end mill with no centre hole and found what I am sure I have read before, I don't have the correct accessories for the job so I went rooting in my cutters and found the one with the sharpest flutes....

Just for a change I trammed the vise in using the indicator instead of the ball-bearing trick. No faster and I doubt if it's more accurate but nice to have a change.

The cutter I had chosen worked well and I started the repetitious job of facing 12 ends.....

By knocking off time I had them all squared with a good finish and all the edges broken with a medium diamond hone. They all look that little bit better. The next Job is to reduce the raising blocks to 1", I know this is right because the centre height of the cylinder will be 2" above the base.

The last job was to change the cutter in the mill for a 3/4" end mill ready for reducing the blocks. I had a good chip chase and then vacuumed the carpet, it was getting a bit crunchy with milling chips! All tidy and a straight edge for tomorrow. Another good morning with no slip ups and a good result.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Hi Stanley,
Lots more good work here, the rotary table has done a good neat job and worth making the centering device too as make it quicker to use every time.
The tee slot cutters should be a pleasure to use next time Stanley, fingers crossed for casting again on Sunday if the weather is kind.
Cheers Mick
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good luck with the casting on Sunday.... St Valentine's Birth Day castings, they're sure to be right!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I started the morning with an unexpected problem. I decided to use my height gauge to mark the raising blocks but was baffled by the fact that I couldn't get 1" registered on either of the scales to coincide with 1" from the surface plate. After puzzling over this for a while I decided to take the obvious easy way out and set the pointer using a 1" slip gauge.

I don't understand this at all, I must be missing something but I put the problem on one side, marked the blocks and got on with the morning.

All set up and ready to go, four blocks to reduce to 1" and the two crosshead slides need a cleaning up cut across the bottom. All we need now is patience!

The cutter is leaving a clean finish and at first the chips were coming off white. Later on they got to straw and then blue as the cutter warmed up!

Knocking off time. All the blocks finished to size and the edges broken. I've had a good chip chase, the carpet can wait until tomorrow. Another little step towards completion and no cock-ups. That's a good morning for this old bloke!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: I couldn't get 1" registered on either of the scales to coincide with 1" from the surface plate
Some designs of height gauge require a 'swan neck' knife edge marker to get down to the inch mark. Generally the extra 'drop' is another 0.5".
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Sometimes this model making can get out of hand.
Lathe Stanley.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Stanley, hope you are going to take the day off to open your birthday cards, that's after you have opened all your Valentines cards first I expect :grin:

Quality photo in your last post Plaques :grin:

Cheers Mick
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

P, you could well be right about the swan neck, I shall investigate..... Thanks for the card!
Mick, I've not opened any of the cards, Susan can do the honours when they take me to tea at tha Craven Heifer.... Good luck with the casting!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

First job this morning was to iron me party shirt!

Then vacuum all yesterday's nasty milling chips up. The better the day, the better the deed!

Next job was the holes for the holding down bolts in the raisers. All centre drilled, drilled 1/4" and de-burred with the countersink.

That's another little step forward.

The next job is going to be to make the pedestals so I got the blocks out, cleaned them up and de-burred them. Ready for marking up for cutting. Short morning today, I have to get my act together for the party!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

sister sarah

Post by sister sarah »

Hello Birthday Boy!

I hope as this draws to an end you have had a fabulous day Stanley? Many happy returns to the nicest 'Octogenarian' I know. :grin:

Love and hugs,
Sarah
XXXX
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was totally wonderful Sarah! See the Valentine's Day topic.
So sorry for the lads, the casting failed again.... Onward and upwards!
A big thank you to all the shed people from all over the world for the clips and images. If you haven't seen the end result, have a look at the Valentine's Day topic, they are all there. I never imagined that so many people care about me.... I shall go on boring you with Shed Matters for as long as I am spared!

I love this image......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bodger

Post by Bodger »

Stanley, if you have a cement mixer you make your own lathe
https://flowxrgdotcom.files.wordpress.c ... lathes.pdf
Happy Birthday i'm nobutt a year behind thee
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bodge, interesting.... Dean Smith and Grace made lathes with concrete beds for a while at the end but they weren't successful....
Sorry lads but no shed today, too busy clearing up the wreckage after my birthday. I think I am straight now!
My thoughts are with John and Mick.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Feet back on the ground. I wrote an article yesterday to get the BET off my back and I shall be in the shed today. It will do me good to get back to normal!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

He may see it here. Happy Birthday John (doubleboost) :happybd:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I didn't know! Many happy returns John, I hope you have as good a day as I did!

Today's job is to make some progress on the pedestals that will house the flywheel bearings. I know the centre line of the cylinder and so I can work out the measurements. So the first thing was to do some thinking and make a drawing of what I wanted to get to. I warmed the blanks on the stove so that the layout ink would dry quickly and made some cutting lines allowing for milling square.

Quite a lot of metal to shift and it was quicker to call in Mrs McMaster. Not a big workpiece. I have balanced the vise by putting a blank in at the back end and put a packing under the end of the blank being cut so there is no tendency for it to droop.

I wasn't stood about idle while the cuts were going on, I sharpened both the current 3/4" cutters. This first one was ready for backing off as well so I gave it the full Monty after dressing the wheel. Never wasted time!

All four blocks reduced (one is already in the VM vise). There are a lot of nasty chips in those off cuts!

At knocking off time I was set up and making the first cut. Sharp cutter and nice clean chips.... Straight edge for tomorrow morning.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Everything set up yesterday so at 8AM I got straight into producing 4 flat surfaces....

An hour later I had all four raising blocks done on one side. I was chucking blue chips out!

So before starting on the opposite face I sharpened the milling cutter.

I had marked the blocks up, 2" high, and by knocking off time I had three done and the fourth in the vise. Tomorrow I'll go for the width! Slow and I do get fed up with winding that handle but good result and again, no cock ups! That makes it a good morning.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Shed Matter related a new member is refurbishing a Grayson Lathe and is appealing for information. Please checkout the topic here:

Grayson Lathe Refurbishment
Ian
Magnu420

Post by Magnu420 »

ok ive spent a few hours reading thru shed matters 1 and 2 over the past couple of nights,and i am amazed by your talent, stanley
also i love your workshop,more or less a mini engineering shop,also everything you do is in imperial measurements
a bit like good old fashioned engineering like in the old days,before metricfication came into this world. i can see you being my best friend lol,
also i wouldnt mind meeting up with you in the near future,as i only live about 10 min drive from you,in that bonnie town upon the hill

keep up the good work :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dave, that's because I am old fashioned, too late for me to get to grips with metrication.... Nice of you to say so but I don't do talent, just experience! Call round any time you like but recognise that I don't answer the phone after 10AM in the morning, am in the shed almost every morning, up early and in bed in the afternoon for a couple of hours. That's right, I'm peculiar as well as old fashioned.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Crafts”