Still concentrating on the pinion bearing housing. Quietly away and after about an hour I am here. The housing is fitted and drilled for its oil hole, it needs boring now to accept the brass bush. Luckily the size isn't critical as I will make the bush to fit what I end up with.
As usual start with the centre drill and then open out in two or three stages. I took it up to 1/2"......
And finished up with this. If you haven't come across them before, this is what is known as a 'blacksmith's drill'. They all have 1/2" shanks but come in larger sizes, this is 7/8" and as usual I am sucking and seeing as I go. I decided I could get away with this for the outside diameter of the bush and was very lucky, it just fits between the drillings for the cap bolts!
Blacksmith's drills are notorious for not drilling accurate round holes so I popped this adjustable reamer through to improve on what the drill gave me.
Here's where I finished up at closing time. I'm ready to make and fit the bush now, a nice point to leave off.
STOP PRESS. The postman has just delivered the test bar courtesy of John and Mick. Thanks lads, it's an impressive piece of kit. God knows what they cost to produce. Just the job for checking lathe levelling and alignment!
I've oiled it and kept the tube for storage.