WE ARE WHAT WE EAT

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WE ARE WHAT WE EAT

Post by Stanley »

I heard the representative of the Soft Drinks Association doing his defence of the industry on R4 yesterday. Defending the indefensible has been elevated to an art form! I seem to be able to survive on zero intake of them.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I noted THIS news this morning on the BBC. Why put it in this topic? Because we are at the top of a food chain that ingests these pollutants and eventually they end up in our guts. Just one of the ways we damage our environment and I am pleased to see that someone is taking notice.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

for once, I think the USA was ahead of the EU, at least in recognising the problem, they may have already implemented a ban , not sure.

Keyword really be , before you(as in big industry), introduce a change, have a think about what the consequences might actually be.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It's a start but don't get too excited just yet. It's a more complex issue than it appears at first sight. For example, the US authorities have banned the use of plastic microbeads...but only in `rinse-off cosmetic products'. A number of companies have already staring removing them from product formulations...but only in cosmetics and toiletries. The beads are used in a lot more product types than these and in a number of industrial processes. You have to examine claims carefully when you see reports of `microbeads banned' and ask such questions as "In which products?" and "All types of beads or only one type?" (they can be made from different types of plastic). But at least it's a beginning. Have a look at this web page: Microbeads
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I planted a Victoria plum tree a few years ago. Last year I got four plums, and this year looks like breaking the record with about eight.

They seem to be doing rather better here Elbourn Apples, which is five minutes walk away.

Time for a visit I think. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Some Plum trees are notorious for intermittent fruiting years David. We had one at Hey Farm which usually produced a light crop but occasionally was loaded. I think I once found an explanation but have forgotten it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I don't know about plums but some apples such as Bramley are biennials, bearing significant fruit only in alternate years.

Tripps, I love the Morris 8 van shown on the Cam Valley Orchards web page you linked and I trust they won't mind me showing it here...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A proper motor! About as old as I am......

Have a look at THIS report in the Telegraph on the 'latest' advice that a Mediterranean diet could be as effective for heart health as statins..... Surprise surprise! Isn't it funny how they are all getting into line behind us......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

My cousin and her family who live locally will be visiting us on Saturday for what would usually be `tea & cake' but they've warned Mrs Tiz not to bake cake especially for them. They are returning to their low-sugar diet which both mum & dad and the two daughters (10 and 17) have found makes them feel much better. They are not overweight people trying to lose a few pounds - they are normal weight and all very athletic, swimming most nights, cycling, walking etc. Even though they do all this exercise they find that they feel healthier and happier when eating very little sugar. My cousin went low-sugar last year and the rest of the family eventually gave it a try and decided it was beneficial. She continued but the others reverted to sugar for a while. Now the daughters have asked to go back to the low sugar because they've decided it was better. It's great to know that youngsters like them can see that they don't need all that sugar and make the decision for themselves.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's encouraging Tiz. We get brainwashed by the media into thinking modern kids are zombies who spend all their time drinking out of cans and playing with their phones.... I haven't bought white sugar for yonks and try to avoid it as much as possible.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I've patiently waited for Thursday to go to Elbourn Apples. Worth the wait. :smile:
I bought some 'heritage' variety plums called 'Blue Tit', and a bag of 'Discovery' apples.

I also blagged a masterclass in plum trees while I was at the till. Lady said not to worry about no crop - my tree was still young, and would produce eventually.

The plums are delicious - lightly stewed, with some cream, and the apples have a good flavour. A bit sharp, but you soon adjust your taste buds. I've given up on supermarket apples - tried all kinds, but none as good as these.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Discovery is a nice apple but it's years since I saw any.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

LizG

Post by LizG »

We grow 3 varieties of apples at home; pink lady, golden delicious and ballerina. The flavour of home grown apples is so much better than supermarket apples. The biggest problem we have is keeping the birds away. It's amazing how they have learnt to get under the nets. The crows seem to be the smartest but the parrots are a real pest.
Liz
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

An interesting look at the carbohydrate & diabetes question from Dr Unwin. One of the speakers at the seminar in Skipton next week.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Liz, I remember being on a farm near Dubbo and the apricots were ripe. The only defence against the fruit bats was to pick them all and start a mammoth bottling operation!
I like Unwin's basic message. His sugar equivalents are surprising but I don't think we should lose sight of the fact that some of his culprits have other roles in diet. Balance and diversity are so important and this is a personal decision.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The Diet & Diabetes conference in Skipton this morning was really inspiring. I could have listened all day to Dr David Unwin talking about the effect that encouraging his obese/diabetic patients to go on a low carb/high fat diet is having on his medical practice in Southport. (Savings of £45,000 a year on their drugs bill for starters!) Such a nice man.
Also speaking was Trudi Deakin from X-pert Health, a dietician who specializes in diabetic care. Amongst other things she explained clearly the link between carbohydrates, high blood sugar and "bad" cholesterol in the blood.
If you have 20 minutes to spare have a look at this you tube video of David Unwin speaking with a couple of other LC-HF supporters about the link between high blood sugar and fatty liver disease.
:geek: I know, I'm getting boring....but it is such an important subject!

[BBvideo 425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbdo-Y3YOrA[/BBvideo]
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It has been World Diabetes Day today, and THIS is an excellent blog from Dr Rangan Chatterjee (he of the Doctor in the House series on BBC1 ) about reversing T2 diabetes.

A group of doctors, scientists and nutritionists have got together to form The Public Health Collaboration, and they are appealing to the NHS to change the UK dietary guidelines. Today they have released this appeal to GPs to recommend healthier eating guidelines to their patients.

[BBvideo 425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcVMVjX_roA[/BBvideo]
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Today's Google Doodle celebrates what would have been the 125th birthday of Sir Frederick Banting, discoverer that insulin could be used to treat diabetes.

Sir Frederick Banting
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wendy, Dr Rangan Chatterjee talks a lot of sense! As you know I am a big fan of Long Chain Omega-3 and natural animal fats, avoiding the recommended vegetable fats unless I am perfectly at ease with them, like Rape Oil for frying. By the way, it may be time to repeat my money saving trick with Rape Oil. Don't buy the expensive oils touted on health grounds, read the label on the bottles labelled simply 'Vegetable Oil' You'll find that most of them are straight commercial Rape Oil and much cheaper!
I take on board what he says about apples but on balance the other healthy properties they have outweigh the disadvantages to a large extent.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Dr Chatterjee has been invited to give a talk at the Edinburgh Medical School which is huge progress.
Meanwhile in Australia an orthopaedic surgeon who recommended a low carb, healthy fat diet diet to his obese & diabetic patients has been silenced by the Australian Health Practitioners Regulatory Authority, who have ruled that doctors aren't qualified to advise on nutrition...he is also under investigation for "inappropriately reversing a patients diabetes" !! Big Pharma & the sugar industry have so much to lose from this approach. Read about it HERE
A similar thing is happening in South Africa where Dr Tim Noakes, an advocate of the Banting Diet, has been under investigation for a single "tweet" suggesting that babies can be weaned onto a low carb diet..(in other words dairy, meat and vegetables rather than cereal.)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You are dead right Wendy, and your post contains a timely warning. Add the food processors to Big Pharma and the sugar industry. Their combined spending power on advertising is a massive threat to public health. I have long argued that it is no coincidence that the rise of the 'Western Diseases' coincides neatly with the rise of these forces to power in the advertising industry.
See the latest Private Eye for leaked emails to a UK MP setting out a revised strategy for fighting the proposed sugar tax. Recognising that they are attempting to defend the indefensible in terms of their products they are going to shift the attack to point out that if they are taxed so should natural products like pure fruit juices which also contain high levels of sugar. The assumption being that there is no way natural sugars like these would be taxed.
Thinking about the good professor Chatterjee, I had a cauliflower and an apple for dinner yesterday......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

For anyone living locally who is concerned about diabetes in themselves or someone they want to help there is a training course planned starting January at the Rendevous Hotel in Skipton using the X-pert Health programme. Details below.
X-pert Health do offer free courses through the NHS but there is no where in this area offering the course so this has been privately arranged and the cost subsidized by the folk organising it

Diabetes Training Programme at The Rendezvous, Skipton
Monday evenings from 23rd January to 14th March 2017 6.30-9.00pm
Trainer: Keith Rathbone
The first evening will be an introduction that spells out the objectives and explains what is involved.
The programme for the following 6 sessions is outlined below.

Session 1 What is pre-diabetes and diabetes?
Explains the effects of how digestion of carbs effects BG control.
Also includes 7 lifestyle factors for optimal heath.
Health results- what they mean.
Medications used in diabetes.
Setting Goals.

Session 2 Weight Management
Eating for good health – food groups/portions
Addressing the myths and misconceptions.
Physical activity – when what and how?
Options for weight loss.
How to assess what I am eating.
Setting goals: eating and activity.

Section 3 Carbohydrate Awareness
Carbohydrate and blood glucose levels
Assessing the amount of carbohydrate
Practice at estimating carb content.
Daily intake of carbs
Setting Goals: the right carbohydrate for me.

Section 4 Understanding Food labels
Nutrition information on food packaging
Traffic light system
Reference intakes
Nutritional claims – what do they mean?
Setting Goals: the foods I buy

Section 5 Health Check
Low and High BG levels
How could diabetes effect my long term health?
Prevention of complications
Importance of regular check ups
Work, driving insurance, travel and sick days
Setting goals: to reduce risk

Section 6 Leave the Best to Last
Recapping with the X-PERT Game
What resources are available to help me?
Revisiting my health profile
Have my needs been addressed?
More confidence to self-manage my health?
Setting goals: self-management in the future...

Cost: £35, payable in advance
Further details from:
Verner Wheelock
Email: verner.wheelock@vwa.co.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Looks like a sensible and well balanced programme Wendy. I have put a bit of weight on, nothing serious but it needs watching. I think it's the stress of the last three months, I am subconsciously eating for comfort......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Julie in Norfolk
Regular User

Post by Julie in Norfolk »

I have two comments about the diabetes string.

1. Verner Wheelock are a great place providing training, I have been there myself.

2. I had an amusing birthday card, or it may have been a warning: Mark has 40 pieces of cake, he eats 38, what has he got now? Diabetes.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with a pencil, cut with an axe.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Verner Wheelock is trying to get a group of like minded people together in this area to try and get the low carb/healthy fat message across...especially to health professionals who still tend to recommend a high carb, low fat diet to diabetics, which only helps the drug & food industry.

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”