NOW, AND THEN.

Thomo

NOW, AND THEN.

Post by Thomo »

Now, and Then as in “Now” the present, and “Then” the past, not “Now and Then as in occasionally. A couple of weeks ago my step Daughter who lives in Hellifield rang me and asked if I would help with a project handed to her Son Nathan. Nathan who is twelve attends school in Settle, the project for the student was to ask an older relative in the form of an interview, what it was like when said relative was their age, given that I was sixty two when Nathan was born there is a substantial difference between our environments at age twelve, so in this case we are looking at 1952. I have long been aware of the changes that I have seen in my life, mostly for the good, yet sadly many changes have been not so. Some of the changes that I highlighted will be easily recognised and cover a broad spectrum of the difference. We had electric lighting, hot running water and a bath, we did not have, an indoor toilet, central heating, a telephone, a radio, a car or a television set, this came the following year in time for the Coronation.
Nathan asked what we ate, in truth I do not remember the details but was never hungry, food rationing was still in place, a legacy of this is that I cannot eat soft fat even now, it has to be “snapable”. He asked how we entertained ourselves; we played out when it was fine, and most had hobbies for when it was not, we went on family picnics and walks at weekends, occasionally we went to the cinema or theatre, or listened to either the BBC home service or light program on the relay set, Riders of the Range and later the Goon Show were two of my favourites.. He then asked “What was school like and what were our ambitions”, in my case having met the required standard I could have gone to Grammar School at Skipton, but did not fancy the travel arrangements, and I would have had to give up my part time jobs, morning and evening paper rounds, and helping a neighbour in his smallholding, from this latter I learned a great deal and also had access to a fully fitted woodwork cabin on his land. I struggled a bit with maths but loved making things. Having been a keen model maker since aged seven, mainly flying model aircraft, one of my ambitions was to learn to fly and in 1952 the RAF became involved in the form of a visit from a recruiting Officer, he advised that I take the then available “Technical Entrants Course” an evening course held at what was Barlick Secondary Modern School, and where I was a pupil, three evenings a week, I was already doing another evening in woodwork. My ambitions to become an RAF pilot evaporated in 1956 when I was suspected of having TB.
Nathan then asked about holidays, where did we go? It certainly wasn’t abroad, nor did it involve flight, coach or train and to the delights of Blackpool, Southport or Scarborough, and I loved it, we all did. We had relatives and friends in Blackpool and would be invited to stay with them during the Summer break, we would go to shows and the Tower Circus, play on the beach and in Stanley Park, and in 1952 I had my first flight, in a De Havilland Dragon Rapide from Squires Gate Airport. I was born in 1940 and my first memory of anything is of being in Blackpool with Uncle Fred and Auntie Eda in 1942 0n my second birthday, two presents awaited me on arrival, a Dinky Studebaker car from my Grandfather and a rebuilt Minic clockwork car left for me by previous visitors there from Earby. Please feel free to add your own views on Now and Then, and not just about 1952, what you remember and the changes that you have seen and how they affect you. I will look at some of the things that I gave to Nathan and explore them in more detail as we progress, I understand that Nathan received good marks for his work.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
LizG

Re: NOW, AND THEN.

Post by LizG »

Great story.

We did something similar with our Grandson when he was in first year at primary school. Because a lot of the children didn't have Grandparents present we were interviewed by about 5 kids. Nothing so sophisticated as the questions you were asked Thomo and since most of them couldn't read or write we had to either write down the answers or laboriously spell everything. They wanted to to know if we rode horses to school because there weren't any cars yet.

The interview ended with a beautiful little girl asking Den "Why is your head so shiny? Where did your hair go? Can I touch it?" she was fascinated with his bald head and gave it a good rub. Clearly every male in her family had a full head of hair.
Liz
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Thank you Liz.

In my lead into this topic I gave a few examples of the type of questions that I was asked, there are of course many other things that have changed. Here in the United Kingdom there were changes that were intended to be of great benefit to the population, one of these was the birth of the National Health Service on the 5th of July 1948, my wife who was born in that month was “born free” I, born in 1940 was not. Today this wonderful service is rarely out of the news, the Politicians and cuts are blamed for all of this, I see it as being overwhelmed and abused. This is a term that may also be applied to other things that have changed, our way of life as had to change, mainly because we are told that we have accept these changes without complaint, more on this later.
Another item currently at the forefront of the news is the weather and the monstrous impact it has on the countries infrastructure, but it is Winter after all. Today a light covering of snow can almost bring this country to a halt, within a very short time many schools are closed quickly followed by roads, airports and railways, Imagine then what would happen if we were subjected to the conditions that I remember well that took place in 1947 and 1961/1962, meanwhile in such places as Norway, Sweden, Finland and Austria, life goes on much as normal, for them this an annual event.
In 1947 it all started on the 21st of January, I was in my final year at the Rainhall Road Infants School, this remained open throughout what followed, staff and pupils alike walked there and back every day. Living further down Rainhall Road, I also went home for dinner. I recall one occasion when arriving home at dinner time my Mum asked “where’s your Dad”? Dad who worked at Barnsey Mill also went home for dinner and because it was snowing heavily had gone up to meet me and walked up the road, I had walked down on the pavement, the two were separated by a six foot pile of snow! We had an outside toilet and every morning Dad would clear a path to this, the coal shed and the back gate, when there wasn’t any more room in the yard, he shovelled the snow out into the back street, there was still some out there on my 7th Birthday in June. I have a great niece who lives in the Hamlet of Cowgill in the valley below Dent Station on the Settle Carlisle railway, her Grandmother, my Sister, is always concerned about them in Winter, this is Dent Station in 1947:-

Two more images concerning the aforementioned 2nd birthday in Blackpool:-

L to R my Sister, Auntie Eda, Mum and I heading for the beach down Waterloo Road.

And Thomo's Birthday Pic:-

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I hope I'm not making it sound like the 'Monty Python " Four Yorkshire men". Yorkshire Men But most small terrace houses, ours included, didn't have a fitted bath. Instead it hung on a nail in the back yard like all good tin baths did. Ours wasn't even the full length version but more of what may be called 'an economy size' , Ok for us kids but how Mam and Dad managed I don't know. With hind sight it seems to have been a private matter. During the war years Dad's sister came back up from London to live with us. I can't remember much about it except at bath times she was more generous with the water than Dad was. Possibly two extra kettles full.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Tin bath for me as well, can't remember when dad partitioned one of the bedrooms off for the bathroom, maybe mid to late fifties. The outside toilet and old coal house became the entrance to the new kitchen extension he built in the early sixties. That came along when we went "all electric". Mum would not have gas in the house. I remember the old kitchen off the back living room, kitchenette and a set of cupboards at one side, Belfast sink and drainer at the other with a Service single tub washer with electric mangle. Dad used to sit me on the drop down of the kitchenette to scrub my knees when I was a little lad prior to going up to Bethesda Sunday School, knees were usually good for school on the Monday but not for long after that. Mum got a Hoover Twin Tub when the new kitchen came along. It lived underneath one of the worktops in the new kitchen and was pulled out when needed to get the filling hoses and drain pipes to/from the new stainless steel sink unit.
Ian
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Good stuff that is, keep it up. I was born into gas lighting, Dean gas cooker, and floor mounted Dean gas water boiler for part of the washing process. Slop stone sink negative drainer and large heavy hand mangle, plus of course the dolly tub and posser, and tin bath. On top of all of this there was of course the blackout, not having a radio set, we had the relay with just two BBC channel options. A feature of this included in a prominent position near the window in the back, or living room, a warning light and buzzer to warn of air or other attack as Dad was in the Home Guard.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

We had the relay too from a switch box on the back room window bottom. First TV was an Ambassador 12" corner console. I remember watching Wagon Train on that one. I used the settee arm as a horse and road along many a time with Ward Bond when fighting the "injuns". The Lone Ranger was in the mix as well at this time, Jay Silverheels as the faithful sidekick Tonto.

The 12" Ambassador was replaced by a 19" Rediffusion "on the pipe" when ITV became available. Rediffusion took over Shorrock's I seem to remember who we used to get the relay from. Shop was on Albert Road where the chocolate shop is now. The old Ch2 aerial came down off the roof but replaced by a UHF aerial when BBC2 came along and a new 22" black and white. That one was replaced with a GEC Colour TV which I could buy at trade price once I started work in the TV trade.
Ian
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Our TV experience followed a similar path Ian. a 14" KB in time for the Coronation in 1953. And it was Shorrocks, the shop on Albert Road was managed by Mr. Thulborn assisted by Mrs. Smith on the counter. The hardware for the relay setup was in a building on York Street, just behind Rainhall Road, I think it is still there. Cook and Thorntons at Earby, with whom we are both familiar Ian, pioneered a similar system for use in areas of poor reception.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

In light of the recent posts with reference to entertainment, we also had a “wind up” gramophone, supplemented later by a portable one that my Grandmother had acquired; these were replaced in 1955 by a Phillips Disc Jockey Major. In the 40s and for a while beyond other types of entertainment available were four ballrooms, The Majestic, the Co-op Hall, the Queens Hall of the Conservative Club and the Albert Hall underneath the Gladstone Hall, or Liberal Club. Two cinemas, the Majestic, and the Palace which also doubled as a Theatre. At that time I do not recall any “youth clubs” outside of those organised within the religious groups, including of course the Scouts and Guides movements. By comparison to today whilst some of these groups still exist, it is at a much reduced level, also we didn’t have to be advised that outdoor activity was beneficial, it was then a normal part of life, Everyone was used to walking as locally it was the only way of getting around, it was also popular in good weather at weekends and in the evenings. I learned a great deal from my Father whilst out walking with him, and this began at a very early age, he took me around all three of the Anti Aircraft Gun emplacements. He knew where all the birds’ nests were and would lift me up to see those in the hedgerows, but I must never touch them. Listening to Skylarks up on Weets Hill on a warm summer afternoon is something that sadly can not be done now.
In 1947 on my Birthday, I became the owner of a bicycle for the first time, it was a second hand Dawes from Jim Taylforths on Frank Street, also courtesy of my Uncle Bernard I received an upgrade to the No.2 Meccano set that he had bought me in 1944. So whatever the weather I was never “bored” indeed the days were not long enough. As it is in life there has to be a downside somewhere, Dad and my Uncle were keen football fans, and every Saturday afternoon I was taken away from what I would rather have been doing to watch the match in what is now Victory Park. In 1949 when I had outgrown my first bike, I was given my Sisters Sun bicycle, and despite her being a Girl, it did have a crossbar, here at last I had the tool to get me away from the by now hated football match, by the time Dad and Uncle came looking for me I was long gone, the Rimmington area being a great favourite, cycling had become another part of my life. !947 was also the year in which I became interested in model making having seen the potential whilst watching the local model aero club performing down Greenberfield Lane near the Old Mother Dam. In due course this led to our house reeking of aircraft dope and later the ether based engine fuel. My Mother, convinced that this was all bad for me marched me off to see Doctor Chapman to ask his opinion. Doctor Chapman had replaced my earlier Doctor, Dr. McMasters Glenn some time before this, the good Doctor examined me and could find nothing wrong, what came next I will never forget, when he asked Mum what I did with these model aircraft, “he takes them out and flies them” was her reply, “where”? asked the Doctor, “in the fields near to Greenberfield Lane” was her reply. “Mrs.Thompson, I can think of no finer hobby for a young Boy to have” he told Mum, but we didn’t know that he had been aircrew in Lancaster Bombers in WW2, poor Mum looked crestfallen, but it ended there, she respected what he had said.
We in those days had the ability to make our own entertainment, or find something to do without the purchase of expensive electronic gadgets, or the need to have everything organised for us. I believe that we led much fuller lives than our present day counterparts, and whilst our academic ambitions were not as high as they are today, we were better suited for what lay ahead.
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Dotcliffe Road, Kelbrook.jpg
We lived in a mill owned house up Dotcliffe Road in Kelbrook, we did not have a bath installed until 1949 - it was installed in the kitchen with a wooden lid over it on which Mum stored all manner of things which had to be moved every time we wanted a bath. Our toilet was down the cellar, the beck ran behind the house and came over the windowsill when it was in full flow. The coal was tipped down a chute in the cellar via a flag outside the front door, (next door's flag had a piece missing and I used to get the mice the cat brought home and put them down her chute to save them from the cat!!).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Say only a little but say it well.
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Was not sure if I got the photo on - it is of Dotcliffe Road, our house was second from top on left.
Say only a little but say it well.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Very naughty that is Moh. I began my engineering career in Dotcliffe Mill, first as a semi skilled worker on permanent nights for Earby Light Engineering, I was mentored by Mr. Richard (Dick) Penman, another ex RAF Aircrew Man, he had been a Flight Engineer in Halifax Bombers. He had the patience of a saint and a way of explaining things that was invaluable to me then, and ever since. I returned to work there in the 80s after the end of my time in the Navy.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

As an older person, hardly a day goes by without a reminder of the massive changes that have taken place in my time, to a modern 12 year old, such things are never clear unless they are pointed out to them, and here unless they are genuinely interested it can be a pointless exercise. Concerns were aired in the media this morning about the speed at which digitalization is taking over, and of how the “smart phone” is replacing tried and traditional methods of communication and such every day things as banking, car park and transport payment. The main concern raised was how this development affects the elderly; the same group that it is suggested are one of the main contributors to the ills of the NHS!
During the news program dealing with the digital issue today a 20 year old Woman sent them a text stating that she did not have a smart phone, nor had she any desire to own one, my sentiments exactly. I can see the benefits of a mobile phone for emergency use, and not as an all singing and dancing toy; I see the latest versions as a way to line the pockets of the few at the expense of the many. Another downside to the digital technology is that it much easier to compromise than the traditional ways of doing things, try to imagine what would happen if for whatever reason the “net” suddenly closed down, total chaos would rapidly ensue.
I have often wondered how many “man hours” at work are lost each week due to texting, tweeting, online gambling or watching videos. It is not that long ago that the law stated that in a car or other road vehicle, no moving images should be visible to the driver, now the most common feature here is the “Satnav”, most of these come with an oral voiceover giving instructions, is it also necessary to have a moving image? Now of course you can purchase a car with satnav fitted as standard, a more recent addition being a pop up screen on which the driver can view his or her online activities, and this includes videos! We have family members, including the 12 year old boy who inspired this topic, who when visiting all have a smart phone constantly in hand and in use, any conversation being frequently interrupted. That this annoys me would probably have me down as being old fashioned, yet when it comes down to digital technology, they flounder in my wake.
There are several reasons why the “net” could shut down, mostly accidental, or as a result of outside interference, it could also be shut down on purpose for security reasons, this of course would promote much debate at high level before such action could be considered. There would be public outrage despite the benefit of the impact it would have on criminal or terrorist organisations, for some, life would suddenly become intolerable and daily life would descend into a man made fog.
We have a phone on the computer desk that could do much more if I payed the extra, if the power goes off it is out of action, but we still have the old fashioned phone in the hall that would function. In the early 50s I was with my Parents having dinner on a Saturday afternoon, it soon became clear that my Dad was not well, he was not eating and his face had gone gray, we didn’t have a phone so Mum told me to go and get Doctor Rankin, 5 minutes later after a quick bike ride I was at the Doctors door, he lived in the old Vicarage on Skipton road, by the time I returned home he was already with my Dad, it was a seizure and the Doctor dealt with it there and then, by the following day, Dad was well again. Over the Christmas just gone, we both developed a virus on the Tuesday before Christmas Eve. My immediate concern was about what would happen if it all got much worse, our Doctors surgery at Earby would be closed for at least four days, we were also aware of the problems in the NHS. The idea of going to A & E was out of the question, we see it as a last resort. Christmas was cancelled and we got by, but 5 weeks later when I thought I was recovering, it all started again. On Monday afternoon last week I rang the surgery and asked if I could speak with my Doctor, he rang me at 8.30 the following morning and I explained what had happened, I was examined 1 hour later and given treatment. Now almost returned to normal I am pleased that I held on, and didn’t add my weight to the burden at A & E. Again, here I know family members who when faced with even the smallest issues go straight to A & E when a little more patience would bring the same outcome. Generally speaking the song title “I want it all, and I want it now” sums up some modern attitudes to life today.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Since my last post, a situation in the family that we have all been aware of for some time has taken a on a new dimension, again thanks to modern media, and someone’s inability to think clearly. My wife is the youngest of four, she has an older Sister and two older Brothers, all were born at Langcliffe near Settle. The family moved here in the early 50s and apart from one have remained here ever since. This one is the eldest Brother who although learning his trade here as an apprentice to my Sisters Husband, moved to Milton Keynes many years ago. He has four Daughters, and one step Daughter, one of his own Girls has always been what may fairly be described as a “loose cannon”. He is now ill and a cause of great concern, he cannot retain food nor drink, at a good 10” taller than I, he weighs one stone less, the cause of his problem is being investigated but no clear diagnosis has as yet been put forward, The loose cannon has used social media to denigrate the rest of the family here, saying that we do not care, most of the members of the family picked up on this straight away and are very upset. The family have kept in touch, but old age and infirmity is a barrier to long distance travel. Despite this, in the coming week the “loose cannon” will be faced by the Brother and two Sisters of her Father, who will be taken to Milton Keynes, courtesy of one of their Nephews. Think before tweeting or going on Facebook, it could be your nemesis!!!!
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Noted that the present Education Department is suggesting that by leaving primary school (Aged 11) Children should know their 12x table. Seeing that I recall being taught this by leaving primary school (aged 9 - we had middle schools) is this progress? Being me , and somewhat bored , I worked out the 13x table as I wanted to go one better.
At middle school we got the 'progressive' maths , that I didn't really understand as it was not too related to the real world.

Labour chap on politics today wants to have all 17/18 year olds to take maths and english , now in my A - level days , English was basically further poems/shakespeare and classic and modern lit, more of use if one was going onto english degree or teaching, I dont think I would have liked to have been made to do it - I was lazy and only did Maths/Advanced Maths / Electronics / Physics ( basically the same subject 4x over so I only had to learn stuff once). My sons vocational course 16/18 did not have maths as a separate subject , but enough of the theoretical mechanics I did was well incorporated in his electronic and mechanical engineering NVQ level 2. I don't think politicians live in the real world ( did they ever after 1952?)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I left Barlick Modern in 1970 and went straight into work on 17th September of the same year, I remember it was a Thursday. After and initial interview with my employer the previous week regarding my apprenticeship, I spent my first official day at work at Burnley College completing enrolment onto my five year City and Guilds training course. Radio, Television & Electronics Mechanics Parts 1 & 2. Part 1 was the first three years and part 2 the final two years up to final exams. We had exams at the end of each year which you had to pass before you could progress to the next level. It was a day release course which actually comprised a full day (Tuesday 9.00am to 9.00pm) followed by a night (Thursday 6.00pm to 9.00pm). The full day comprised electronic theory in the morning session, practical fault finding and repair in the afternoon followed by three hours of general maths in the evening session. Thursday nights three hour session was devoted solely to calcs and principles. Five years later after passing my finals at age 21 I was considered a time served and fully qualified into my chosen trade. A far cry from the current apprenticeship schemes available to today's youngsters if they can find a placement.
Ian
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

One of the questions asked in the interview was about education and what are the changes that have taken place, in the light of the last two posts I will make my comments now.
The first and most obvious has little to do with the actual schooling, and more to do with how attendance worked in my time. All of the pupils and the staff who lived locally walked to school and back, the play grounds were just that and not car parks. The day started at 0900 and ended at 1550 with an hour for dinner, most went home for this. Every day started with an attendance check and then assembly, a further attendance check was carried out in the afternoon. We started at four years old in the Infants school, and in my time, gas masks were still carried, we were given a half pint of milk each day, later with the additional option of fresh orange juice. For me this all took place in what is now the Rainhall Centre, where we were taught the basics of the three “Rs”. At the age of seven we moved up to junior schools, some going to St. Josephs and the Church school on York Street, and the bulk going to Gisburn road, here we would remain until aged eleven, the daily routine timing remained the same. It was still all about the three “Rs” but with the addition of an art class and basic PE, we were also introduced to basic examination techniques. As we approached the end of out time in junior school, we sat an exam that would decide our next step up the ladder, would it be Barnoldswick Secondary Modern, or the Grammar and High Schools in Skipton. There was no question at that time of not be familiar with the English Language, or “Times Tables” all had been thoroughly drummed into us. I and several others ended up with a choice, Skipton or Barlick, they who chose Barlick would go straight into the “A” stream, I was one of these, having explained the reasons for this earlier, there is no need to elaborate. The outcome was that in 1951 the intake at Secondary School had a large number of pupils who qualified for the “A” stream, too many for a normal class, a second class to take the overflow became “1 Alpha” in the care of Mr. Green, “Old Pea” strict, and a trifle eccentric, but fair. The only member of staff who came by car was the Headmaster, Mr Bob Hall who lived at Sough. Here again the daily program was the same, but with the addition of extra classes on such things as Science, French, History, Religious Education, and for the girls, Biology and Domestic Science/Cookery, for the Boys it was woodwork and metalwork plus an afternoon on horticulture, there were music lessons and time to spend in the library, it was a full agenda.
There were activities that took place outside of normal school days, Gymnastics, the School Choir and the choices of learning how to play a musical instrument, later to become members of the School Orchestra. Throughout all of these years there would occasionally be School Walks to aid us in the appreciation of our surroundings. There were no ski trips or other trips abroad; the only trip I recall was from Junior School to Chester and the Zoo. We had in our time rare visits from explorers and the like, Sir Richie Calder was one I remember, he brought with him exotic fruits and Turkish Delight, something that I have been fond of ever since, indeed there is a box in the fridge now.
At age 13 I had done well in both Woodwork and Metalwork, Science and Art, Horticulture and all things practical, I was above average in all else, but mathematics was my weak point, algebra I could not understand at all, this would eventually be rectified in later years by a young Irish Naval Lieutenant who taught Advanced maths with a different approach, I owe him much, sadly he was killed in an accident outside HMS Collingwood in the 70s.
At the age of 13 and again in woodwork, I had been given permission to construct a piece of furniture, in order to complete this project I would need extra time, and so I went to evening classes twice a week. At age 14 after an interview for the RAF, I added another two evenings per week on a Technical Entrants Course, Maths, English and Technical Drawing. I left school in 1955 with an apprenticeship and a completed item of furniture, a writing desk and bookshelves. Without going into great detail by 1956 I had gained a second apprenticeship and due in part to the first one, my chance of becoming an RAF Pilot having been diagnosed with possible TB. And so I became an apprentice Decorator to a young Man in Town who had just been in the Royal Horse Guards, to say that this man was brilliant would be a massive understatement, a kindred spirit if ever there was one. I embarked on a trade course at Nelson, one full day and two evenings per week at the College on Ellen Street. Workshop Practice, Art, Maths, English and Social Studies being the main items, later with the addition of Signwriting, Heraldry and trade technology. By the time we finished, we were not just “painters” we were artisans, fully proficient in all aspects of the trade, what then lasted six years is now done in two.
My employer was still on the Army Reserve list in the early years, and as a result of his possible inclusion in the Suez Crisis, we became a part of another local firm, He could be spared if required, and I could continue with my training, this I did under the care of another young man who with his patience and skill set me up for life, it was a very sad day when at the age of 29, married with two young children he succumbed to Cancer and died. Still not yet out of my time, I was asked if I could take over his position, this I did and without question the results were a credit to my mentor, he was a truly wonderful man and I will never forget him.
It would transpire that in due course my education was to continue, and move up several levels, but to sum up this episode, if the quality of they who inspire you is sufficient to hold your attention, and you listen and learn without being distracted by other influences, it does not require an act of Parliament for you to succeed, the level of which is determined by yourself with the help of others, and not just them alone.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

As a footnote to the above and with particular reference to an Apprenticeship as it was then, and the changes that have taken place in more recent years, several factors are worthy of consideration. The older version was far more comprehensive, all aspects being dealt with over time, usually about six years. The greater part of apprenticeships were related to industries where practical skills were paramount, mainly in the domain of industrial and construction work, the professions had a slightly different approach. With either, if the person involved did not reach the highest standards, all was not lost, for example in engineering they could join the workforce as semi skilled with the possibility of promotion later. It was also understood that once you achieved a position of some authority, there were two ways of getting something done, 1. ask an operator if they can do this, and if they are unsure, find out why. The 2nd way 2. is to tell someone to do something, this should never be done unless you are satisfied that they can do it, and are just as capable of doing it yourself, good workers prefer being asked, to being told, and in the case of the latter, being told by someone who cannot do what is asked.
Most people who left school then had to work their way up the ladder, there were few swift options, but it all worked well.
We do now have a situation where much of this is by passed and this applies mainly in all forms of engineering. An academically brilliant ex graduate can join the “team” half way up the ladder, and become involved in the design of something without a clue as to how, or by whom it will be produced, if they truly care, they should find out, and not just move on, this would be of benefit to all, them as well. The brilliant engineers of the past, even if they could not physically make a required item, would seek out the best that there were, and work with them, not just dismiss them as manual workers. For everything that is designed, there has to be someone who can produce it, or it becomes less than useless.
One of the best answers to someone who has told you to do something that you know they are incapable of is “how would you like it done”!
Generally speaking there has been anther change concerning employment, the shift from “Personnel” to “Human Resources”, this could be seen as purely a change of departmental naming to give it a more modern aspect, I believe that this is not the case. At one time promotion was achieved by having a sound knowledge of the product and its manufacture and sale, this still applies in some industries, yet there are others, mainly in the “Service Industries” where the main criteria is having swallowed the company manual, hook line and sinker, and where ones ability to be ruthless when dealing with colleagues takes no account of their value when it comes to experience and performance, any hint of disagreement with what is being asked of them is a sure way of heading for the door A business that has been built up by they who were interested and keen, and knew what they were doing can soon fall pray to the lack of understanding between workforce and the “Hire and fire” brigade, all too often followed by a downward spiral in the company’s fortunes. Human is a generalisation, its people who do the work.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

On Sunday I posted about the impact of social media and its recent effect on our family. The focus of this was based around the ill health of my Brother in Law who lives in Milton Keynes, I also mentioned one of his Daughters, and described her as a “loose cannon”. She struck again on Monday, and this time with far more serious effect. Her Father was given a scan on Monday Morning and as a result was diagnosed as having pancreatic cancer, so far advanced that it has also entered his lungs, he is now in hospital and being treated, but the outcome does not look good. His Wife immediately rang her Husbands Brother here in Barlick, before he had time to inform the family he was inundated with calls of outrage from other younger family members, the loose cannon had already been on Facebook. As I write this the Brother and two Sisters of her Father, all pensioners, are on their way to Milton Keynes in the care of his Nephew. All are extremely angry, and if the loose cannon has any sense at all she will keep well clear.
No doubt social media has its benefits, in this case the family should have been given time to digest the awful news before it went global. It is my opinion that the downside of social media far outweighs its benefits.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

I am pleased to announce that the better side of social media has showed itself at last, this concerns Facebook. Whilst the family were in Milton Keynes, I had a visitor, a photographer who had been at a family wedding about 5 years ago. He handed me a photograph and said "Joan may like this". It was a picture of all four senior members of the family, copies have also gone to the others, the man had picked up on the families distress on Facebook. They are L to R, Peter who is in Milton Keynes, Joan, my wife, Liz her Sister and the first born, and Mick, Peters younger Brother:-

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I think it needs to be said that the ills often blamed directly on social media are not necessarily the fault of the carrying medium but the people that use it. As a user you elect what you post and should take full responsibility for your actions.
Ian
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

That is of course very true Ian, yet it is also a fact that something that does not exist cannot be abused. It now transpires that in the matter of the above posts, the picture arrived here as a result of the old fashioned word of mouth, also the “loose cannon” made her final media post on the 29th of January that just said “Goodbye”.
We now live, or in some cases exist in an age where we are constantly told what we should, or should not do, we should not eat what we truly enjoy, or drink more than the recommended amount of points per days worth of alcohol, and accept without question the arrival of large numbers of they who do not really like us much at all, yet can enjoy the benefits that we and those who were here before us contributed to, and at the same time because some enjoy a smoke, be treated like the lepers of old. We of the older generation are constantly reminded that we are one of the problems of such bodies as the NHS because we now live longer, whilst at the same time the NHS are supposed to be trying to ensure that we do. Others who now often carry the blame for things that go awry, the social services, the Police, the Government and its members and in some cases local Councils are often “hamstrung” when it comes to dealing with sensitive issues, political correctness overrides common sense on many occasions, I believe that this is what happened in Rotherham.
In regard to “Then and Now” now is as it is, then, we had to do our best using common sense and ingenuity in order to survive, all else was a bonus, sure enough, we complained and did without as there were few alternatives, yet many of us are still here.
It is highly unlikely that the old way of personal communication and human co-operation will again surface as being the best way forward, until the modern equivalent is either compromised or runs out of the energy required to make it function.

Return to “General Miscellaneous Chat & Gossip”