DISGRACEFUL BEHAVIOUR

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

DISGRACEFUL BEHAVIOUR

Post by Stanley »

DISGRACEFUL BEHAVIOUR

I occasionally get flattering feedback from my readers saying how readable my articles are even when I venture into quite esoteric country in search of our history. That's nice and I appreciate it but if any one factor deserves the credit it is our tradition of public libraries. I think you may have an idea where I am going here so I'd better start by making it quite clear that I place no blame on our Local or County Councillors.
Like me, I am sure you noted the news early in January that it is now official, and that amongst others, Barrowford and Earby libraries are being put up for sale. Eight year old children who want to read, and despite what many would have us believe, there are still plenty of them, will no longer be able to do what I did over seventy years ago, go into the public library in these towns and take home good books to read. I can still remember the thrill when, after reading my share of Percy F Westerman and Shalimar I discovered that there were things called 'non-fiction' books and there were thousands of them! I started on the shelf nearest to the lady librarian's desk (A Fearsome Woman!) and started by immersing myself in lighthouses. From that day on I had a good working knowledge of them and have never forgotten taking that first book home, I can remember my dad being quite impressed.
At the moment we are being treated to the Thoughts of Our Leader, Mrs May who tells us that she wants to make this a 'fairer' society and yet at the same time her government is starving our local councils of funding to such an extent that if they don't close down essential facilities like public libraries they will go bankrupt. I heard from a friend only yesterday that staff at the libraries in Colne are being forced to re-apply for their jobs! Why on earth should someone doing an essential job like looking after a library have to do this? I assume that the same thing is happening at Barlick and the other libraries as well. Don't the politicians realise that the provision of library facilities is an essential part of good education and the nurturing of young minds? We are told that one of the reasons for the falling of productivity in Britain today is the fact that workers aren't 'skilled' enough and that standards of literacy and numeracy are falling in school leavers. Are our leaders so dense that they can't make the link between 'skill' or more accurately 'learning' and the erosion of library services?
If I sound angry it's because I am, in fact I am enraged by these policies. Let's not forget where all this austerity started, greedy financial institutions who when wrongly freed from proper regulation by bad governance set out to fill their boots with money and in the process broke our credit system in 2008.

My daughter Susan doing her homework in the library in 1976.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
David Whipp

Re: DISGRACEFUL BEHAVIOUR

Post by David Whipp »

The government really must stop the cuts.

A glimmer of hope in Lancashire is the mitigation that community groups will be supported to set up 'Independent Community Libraries' (something I campaigned for on the county council).

I've been trying to encourage the volunteer group at Earby New Road Community Centre to take this up - a similar group at Trawden is already going down this route, but no sign of similar activity in Barrowford.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Keep up the pressure David. Education is the only way we are ever going to solve our problems and create a better future for the children. Ignorance is the greatest danger now, and we can't go having referendums or American-style elections when so much of the population has poor judgement and doesn't know how to assess the value of information.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This article has certainly struck a chord! I am getting a lot of feedback.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's getting more page views than usual as well.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

I've been hanging around Briercliffe for a couple of days past. The rather tired library building has been closed presumably since the start of the year / tail end of 2016, but it is on land next to the local local council/community hub. Phyiscally it looks a 1970s temporary portakabin plus, and near adjoining was a Calico (Local Authority) 26 unit residential building that has been recently demolished. To my eyes it looks a whole potential to create some good housing, and combined community with library facilities area, something that in London could be financed out of residential sales, but up here where the amount of £££ paying jobs if not non-existent are thin on the ground and hence the build cost for quality won't make that much profit. Its a pity
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped and image restored. The situation is even worse now, at least 800 libraries have closed and possibly as many as 1,000 if Northern Ireland is included.
One thing that strikes me is that many of these libraries were established and built with subsidies from Andrew Carnegie. I wonder what the legal position is, could his estate ask for the money back?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

We are lucky, if that’s the word to be used, in the fact that all the libraries in our area have remained open. The one I frequent in Eccleston, is the hive of the community with all sorts going on every week, organised by The Friends of Eccleston Library. The activities include talks by various people, visiting authors, family history group, childrens lego building, reading group, small train big train demonstration, coffee mornings, etc, in fact they put on anything for everyone.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Has all that activity picked up again post Covid Gloria? Colne Library is still a bit dead I'm afraid. It's the 50th Anniversary of the 'new' building next Thursday!
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Yes it seems to have done Wendy, the train exhibition was very busy a week or two ago. Sadly the talk on Italy last Wednesday morning was cancelled due to illness, probably Covid, we were looking forward to that. Eccleston library is nowhere near as big as Colne, but it does seem to thrive in the community.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped again. This disgraceful mismanagement by our political leaders must not be allowed to slide from consciousness!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Stanley's View”