Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Trying to find my grandfather John Willie Crabtree

Post by Wendyf »

:grin: Back to the old maps then Ian!
Pendlewitch

Post by Pendlewitch »

Not sure on that one Ian. Thank you Wendy. I am so grateful for all your help. Thank you all.
Best wishes
Pendlewitch
Pendlewitch

Post by Pendlewitch »

I'm not sure Ian. Thank you both again for all your help.
Best wishes
Pendlewitch
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We just hang around waiting for interesting questions like yours Pendlewitch! :grin:
Pendlewitch

Post by Pendlewitch »

Haha
Best wishes
Pendlewitch
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Just had a look and Cow Gill is just on the Yorkshire side of the border by about a quarter mile on the pre 1974 map.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I've had a reply to my PM to Cloggy, I don't think he will mind if I post it here:

Dear Wendy, thank you so much for contacting me. Your message brought childhood memories flooding back, and I'm the more than pleased to share what little information I have or can remember. Your new member must be one of the children of either Ritchie Crabtree, who died several years ago, about the same age as me; or Jack Crabtree, who as of last Christmas sent me a card as he does every year from near Leicester. Their mother, Frances Crabtree, was probably born not at Tunstead, but at Home Farm Cracoe; this is where they all lived until 1918, when they moved to Tunstead. Jack and Ritchie were probably born at Sawley or Bracewell, where Auntie Fannie and Uncle Billie lived until his death. I was actually there staying with them on the night he died. I have a vague memory being wrapped up in blanket, and hurried out to a waiting car. We were told that he was killed by a bull that horned him, much later in adulthood learned that it was suicide. It was never ever talked about or discussed of course not in those days. Auntie Fanny Crabtree and her 2 boys moved to Sough, where they grew up. Farmed out frequently to relatives after my mother's death in 1945, often stayed there; Auntie Fanny being like a foster mother to me right up until I married; and the 2 lads close friends. Never ever found out anything more about Uncle Billie. I myself have a lot of questions to put to the forum about my Grannie Spencer and my mother Annie Spencer from Earby; and another favourite farm out Uncle Joe and Auntie Maggie Garlick, also from Earby. best rgds, cloggy
Pendlewitch

Post by Pendlewitch »

Well Wendy, this was the most interesting bit of news so far for me, as Cloggy was there the day my granddad died. Its interesting that he calls him uncle Billie, maybe he went by this name and not John Willie or he may mean Willie. Also interesting, that he backs up what I was saying about the subject of his suicide never ever mentioned again. Am I able to PM cloggy to find out more? I am still a little unclear who Cloggy actually is. Thank you again for your help. Although these are all bits of the jigsaw, I feel I am starting to put the pieces together a bit now.
Best wishes
Pendlewitch
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

If you find Cloggy in the membership list and click on his profile there is a link to email the member.
Ian
Pendlewitch

Post by Pendlewitch »

Thank you. I will do just that.
Best wishes
Pendlewitch
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Cloggy is the son of Richard Norman Dinsdale who was born to Francis & Rose Mary in 1911.
Pendlewitch

Post by Pendlewitch »

Thanks Wendy. I thought he was, but there are two sons I believe and in not too sure which one he is at the moment. I have now PM him and just awaiting a reply. It's exciting finding out this stuff.
Best wishes
Pendlewitch
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Just a point PW if you use the site PM function you will have to wait until the member visits the site before they see your message. The email link will go straight to the members registered email address and may well get seen sooner.
Ian
Pendlewitch

Post by Pendlewitch »

Have just sent Cloggy a PM and it appears to be sat in my outbox and not showing as Sent. Do you know if it will have sent. I think the problem occurred when I wrote part of the message and then saved it to drafts.
Best wishes
Pendlewitch
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

PM function is not as you find it in email. Your message will remain in your outbox until read by the recipient. This is what I mentioned earlier. I have one that has been waiting to be read for nearly three years!

Clicking the email link will offer the members registered email address for direct contact outside the site.
Ian
Pendlewitch

Post by Pendlewitch »

Oh ok. I understand now. I will copy and paste it into an email then. Will that be possible?
Best wishes
Pendlewitch
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Yes, select all and copy.
Ian
Pendlewitch

Post by Pendlewitch »

Thanks Ian
Best wishes
Pendlewitch
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

The site PM function uses the same editor as that for posting on the forum. You can insert images but they would have to be loaded to the gallery first.

It is much easier to attach images to an email client external to the site.
Ian
Pendlewitch

Post by Pendlewitch »

Thanks Ian
Best wishes
Pendlewitch
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Earby History Society member Stephanie Carter has been researching in Skipton Library and has found an answer for Pendlewitch in the Craven Herald of 9th May 1947. Pendlewitch has asked me not to post it here for the time being. :smile:
Pendlewitch

Post by Pendlewitch »

So pleased you managed to find this piece of the jigsaw Wendy. I was wondering if we may find a photo from possible wedding pictures. I don't know if wedding pictures were posted in the local papers in those days. I am not too sure what year my grandparents got married, but I have read somewhere that it was 1929, although Cloggy says he thinks it may have been 1932. Either way we would be looking for the wedding of Frances Ellen Dinsdale, daughter of Francis Spence Dinsdale and Rose Mary Dixon, to John William Crabtree son of Richard Crabtree and Edith Elizabeth Wallbank.
Best wishes
Pendlewitch
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Their marriage was registered in Skipton in the 2nd qtr of 1929. You could order their Marriage Certificate which would tell you where the marriage took place. The reference is Volume 9a page 95.
Pendlewitch

Post by Pendlewitch »

You are an absolute star Wendy, as always. Thank you again. Do you happen to know how I go about ordering the marriage certificate.
Best wishes
Pendlewitch
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

From the GRO Here

Return to “Looking For Someone”