MEDICAL MATTERS

Sue
VIP Member

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Sue »

My friend had it done too, at about the same time as Stanley. It worked brilliantly
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I enquired what they actually did and it's so simple you won't believe it. The problem is that deterioration of the internal surfaces is degrading light transfer so they use a laser to blow holes in it! Believe me Moh, if it's the same procedure you will be amazed and delighted because it is instantaneous. Nice thing is that I also learned that the older you are, the less chance of you needing to have it done again. Another advantage we have over these pesky young people!!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Just back from the eye clinic (only there half an hour!) - got an appointment for March 3rd for polishing the lens, he also said the right eye is beginning to go so he will do both. I presume they do it with the laser.
Say only a little but say it well.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Booked an appointment for Thursday for the follow up to my X-Ray last week, they said my doc would have the results within 3 days so towards the end of this week should be good. I have a fortnight of standing up starting next week with mock exams up at school. Good that I could get the appointment before that starts.

Blood Donors tomorrow.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's what happened to me Moh, I went in for the left eye and the lady doctor said she'd do both as the other was going the same way and it would save an appointment. You are going to love it! When we came out after the five minute procedure we were walking down the corridor and I couldn't help laughing as we passed two Asian gentlemen sat in the corridor. They looked at me a bit old-fashioned and I apologised if it had seemed I was laughing at them. I explained that five minutes before I was effectively 75% blind and now I could tell the time on one of their wrist watches from ten feet away. They laughed and both congratulated me. It was that good Moh. Enjoy the day!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

OK
Say only a little but say it well.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I had to be signed off today by the senior nurse before I could make my blood donation. All OK after a chat about my current visit to the doc and X-Ray.

Signed up for a clinical trial of a non invasive haemoglobin testing method. I have posted a bit more about it here in the Blood Donor thread.

Blood Donors - New Haemoglobin Trial
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

They've moved the goalposts on my medication restrictions, I can start donations again, excellent stuff.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have always been judged unclean after getting Brucellosis..... Luckily I don't think it is active now, it's got tired of attacking me as I got older. This is good!!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Big Kev wrote:They've moved the goalposts on my medication restrictions, I can start donations again, excellent stuff.
Excellent indeed Kev, they have moved the goalposts slightly again in the donation preamble medical screening. You have to be asked verbally now about sexual practices despite ticking all the boxes on the screening questionnaire. Apparently that is the problem, most folk don't read the list they just click no to everything regardless, the give away is that not many donors seem to go on holiday as they just tick the no column when asked about travel and lots of blokes tick the female only question boxes as well.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

PanBiker wrote:Apparently that is the problem, most folk don't read the list they just click no to everything regardless, the give away is that not many donors seem to go on holiday as they just tick the no column when asked about travel and lots of blokes tick the female only question boxes as well.
Those must be like the ones who voted for Donald Trump in the US!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Today I have received an apology and an amended letter from the hospital re my recent letter stating completely inaccurate information.A copy has been sent to my GP and put on my hospital records.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Good, that's the least they can do Sue.
Ian
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Absolutely, at least my medical records will be correct now, that was the worrying thing...an omission of the drugs I do take and a statement of ones that I don't take has now been corrected.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good Sue!!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

For some reason. I have been recalled to the original clinic from where I was referred. I had been signed off. A follow up consultation I think
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

This just gets better and better, Sue.
Obviously they are completely confused as to you being Patient A or Patient B!
Not only did they think you were swallowing drugs that you knew nothing about, they now need to clarify that you don't have the diseases you didn't know you had. Apart from that, your height and weight and BMI may have drastically changed from those recorded in the patient record that has your name on it but belongs to someone else. You should ask to read your records. They may decline to let you as they are not about you and it may be illegal to do so.
:laugh5:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I went for my follow up of my X-Ray yesterday. Happy to report there is nothing untoward with my hips and joints in that area, no degeneration or signs of arthritis. Relieved to hear this as my dad had chronic degeneration in his hips and joints and ended up with both hips replaced and both knees surgically repaired.

Doc is going to refer me to the musculoskeletal guys so they can have a look. He is suspecting a muscular imbalance which he can't test for. Whatever it is it's debilitating when I get the symptoms and I could do with it sorting.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Having read Sue's posts I think I need to talk to my GP sometime about my records. For many years now my prescription tablets have had instructions about how many to take that are different from the original instructions. I was never consulted on any change and didn't notice for a long time. I haven't bothered about it because I know how many and when to take them. But if I suddenly went into hospital the nurses might start me giving more tablets than I should have if they follow the instructions!

Good news about my hearing aids. I was given temporary ones over Christmas but I got the new ones yesterday and it's a big improvement. Stanley talks about having fighter pilot vision after his eye ops; well I've got fighter pilot hearing with my new aids! They're smaller too and fit better. Thank you, NHS!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

It gets us all thinking Tiz. I am thinking positive that the consultant just wants to reassure me that the results he was sent were the correct ones. I did say in my letter that I had no confidence that the results were mine. Ironically I could not make the appointment on the 7 th as we will be in a plane flying from Iceland. Whoever heard of being given a sooner appointment when you cancel, it is now on the 1 st of February. I get the impression he wants to see me.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Col has online access to his medical records and he has had to get them corrected at least 4 times in the last 2 years! It's quite worrying.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

When I had my eye operations I had to take them to task because they had my GP down as one I had in Bacup 30 years ago..... Perhaps I should ask for access to check the rest....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote:Col has online access to his medical records and he has had to get them corrected at least 4 times in the last 2 years! It's quite worrying.
I only seem to have prescription meds and drug allergies available to view online; do I need to request more detailed access?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I'll ask Col when he gets home, he is on an early morning trip to Keelhams just now, hopefully remembering to buy me my fix of Creamy Lancashire cheese. :smile:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I'm the same Kev, registered for patient access but a very limited view. Nothing to look at in mine as I am not on any meds. I can book an appointment though, although I think anyone can who uses the website. I am assuming you are at the Barlick surgery? Maybe it's different policy for patient access at Earby.
Ian

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”