Global Moderator

Re: Photography Nuts & Bolts

Post by Stanley »

Leaning on a lamp post can do wonders for camera shake..... :biggrin2:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I'm watching various marques of DSLR's on Ebay to get a feel for the current second hand market. Not sure on the Pentax, from what I read, Pentax was taken over by Richo and although they state that they will continue to support the Pentax platform they have not produced any further models or accessories since they took over.
I suppose this is a similar thing to the Olympus stable and seeing as I am not buying into latest state of the art so to speak, does it really matter? I don't think the fact that I have an existing K mount zoom lens should necessarily influence my decisions anyway. I have checked out the current prices for the manual Tokina lens I have and they are only realising about £20 -£30 at most, although most have no bids even at that asking price! One exactly like mine is on on for £125 which I think is wishful thinking.

I am currently watching Nikon, Canon, Olympus and Pentax. Nikon and Canon being the ones I am probably leaning to as there is a huge choice to go for. It's also a market where some folk will swap out if the latest model has another button or feature, even if they don't know what it's for. :extrawink:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 11:12 I'm watching various marques of DSLR's on Ebay to get a feel for the current second hand market. Not sure on the Pentax, from what I read, Pentax was taken over by Richo and although they state that they will continue to support the Pentax platform they have not produced any further models or accessories since they took over.
I suppose this is a similar thing to the Olympus stable and seeing as I am not buying into latest state of the art so to speak, does it really matter? I don't think the fact that I have an existing K mount zoom lens should necessarily influence my decisions anyway. I have checked out the current prices for the manual Tokina lens I have and they are only realising about £20 -£30 at most, although most have no bids even at that asking price! One exactly like mine is on on for £125 which I think is wishful thinking.

I am currently watching Nikon, Canon, Olympus and Pentax. Nikon and Canon being the ones I am probably leaning to as there is a huge choice to go for. It's also a market where some folk will swap out if the latest model has another button or feature, even if they don't know what it's for. :extrawink:
Canon or Nikon do have the market share, I went for Olympus based on previous SLRs and cost. I bought my E520 with two lenses for around £300. The E30, which I use now, was a £200 used model.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PostmanPete
Regular User

Post by PostmanPete »

Have a look here too Ian for a few good recommendations -

https://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/l ... uys-125334
"Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Thanks Kev, I was already looking at the first two in the review. Some good prices around on the EOS 600D. :smile:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I think I have more or less settled on the Canon 600D. Just waiting for the right deal to come along, I am currently watching about 10 different offers. :smile:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I see someone local on Facebook (Zoe Hodkinson) has asked if there is a local amateur photography group in Barlick. Also suggested starting a Facebook page for local photographers. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 15 Feb 2021, 15:01 I see someone local on Facebook (Zoe Hodkinson) has asked if there is a local amateur photography group in Barlick. Also suggested starting a Facebook page for local photographers. :smile:
I saw that, the amateur photography group has been tried before (me and Aiden Wellock) a few years ago but, apathy and lack of commitment from people who were very keen online soon stopped it. Anyone who wants to join a 'physical' group have the option to go to Earby Camera Club once we're allowed out to play again.

Currently there's a fine line with Covid restrictions and amateur photography so a Facebook group looks to be a good option for a while

You can undertake photography in your own home or garden by yourself, or with others within your household or support bubble.

You cannot leave home specifically for recreational or leisure purposes, such as photography, but it is permissible to leave your home once a day to exercise in public outdoor spaces (parks, beaches, countryside, forests, public gardens - whether or not you pay to enter them - the grounds of a heritage site, and playgrounds) provided you remain local. You must be by yourself, with your household, with the people you live with, with your support bubble, or, when on your own, with one person from another household. Social distancing must be respected.

When you are undertaking exercise, you can, of course, carry a camera and take photographs as you exercise in the countryside or around your city – many great photographs were created this way in 2020. You should not be setting up a tripod, lighting or ‘sets’ outdoors.

Royal Photographic Society guidance
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I am currently the high bidder on an Canon EOS 600D kit on Ebay. I put an opening bid on to see if any of the other seven previous bidders would respond, nothing yet when I checked this morning. I still have quite a leeway with my opening bid and it is not yet at my maximum budget. I think it will realise a bob or two more yet. The auction ends on Saturday afternoon when we may still be in Burnley for our jabs so I will have to rely on automatic pre bidding at the end. I am watching a few other deals if this one falls through. :smile:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Missed out on that one, outbid when we got back from our jabs.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Chased quite a few Canon EOS 600D's without luck, sniped in the last few seconds, so changed my bidding tack. Put my bid in within the last 10 seconds and managed to secure a Canon EOS 600D T3i Rebel within my budget. :good:

It looks in good nick according to the numerous photos. I comes with Canon EF-S Is II 18-55mm kit lens, 2 batteries, Canon charger, mini tripod, Canon RS60 remote shutter release, lens and body covers and a bag. No SD card so I have just ordered an SDXC variant from Amazon. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 13:23 Chased quite a few Canon EOS 600D's without luck, sniped in the last few seconds, so changed my bidding tack. Put my bid in within the last 10 seconds and managed to secure a Canon EOS 600D T3i Rebel within my budget. :good:

It looks in good nick according to the numerous photos. I comes with Canon EF-S Is II 18-55mm kit lens, 2 batteries, Canon charger, mini tripod, Canon RS60 remote shutter release, lens and body covers and a bag. No SD card so I have just ordered an SDXC variant from Amazon. :smile:
Excellent stuff, enjoy. That 18-55 will give you the '35mm SLR' equivalant of 28.8-88mm so pretty versatile.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Lot's of compatible lenses around at reasonable prices as well Kev. It's a cable remote shutter release but it has built in wireless shutter as well, the controllers are quite cheap. I think the tripod is one of the small Gorilla jobs, I already have full sized one. I got the kit for £176.00. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

That's a good deal.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I reckon if I had pre bid with my maximum it would have gone over my budget which is what happened to previous lots I had been trying to buy. I still put my maximum bid in but leaving it until the last few seconds didn't give any chance of counter bids. Most previous lots have been going for £225 - 250 or higher depending on the bundle. Its badged as the T3i Rebel so may well have been bought on holiday, same beast of course.

Not played with SLR's since my former Pentax 35mm. I found a used film cartridge in it, goodness knows what's on that, can't remember the last time we used it! Will have another learning curve with the controls and options, all good fun. :smile:

Just checked the tracking number and it was at Preston post office yesterday. :good:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

PanBiker wrote: 28 Feb 2021, 11:04 I reckon if I had pre bid with my maximum it would have gone over my budget
Agreed. Decide what your maximum is and bid it (plus 1p ) when there's ten seconds left. You will ony pay the final price no matter how much your bid is. Any longer term bid is mostly a waste of time. Needed though, sometimes to flush out a bidder when the price seems too low. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Tripps wrote: 28 Feb 2021, 11:28 Agreed. Decide what your maximum is and bid it (plus 1p ) when there's ten seconds left.
I always add 42, pence that is, as it's the answer to all things according to the HHGTTG. :laugh5:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I like that strategy..... :biggrin2:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I know nothing of these bidding strategies but I once read that there were Apps that bid for you through a super fast connection that submitted your bid about 2 nano seconds before the bidding ended.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Yes there are, they are called sniping apps or programs. You can get them for most auction platforms.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

The Canon was delivered this morning at 10.30. It's in pristine condition. Currently charging the batteries then I will have a play. Got the serial number now so I can download all it's support software for image processing from the Canon website. No interface cables but that is a minor matter and easily replaced.

I took these with my phone:

Should keep me busy for a while. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I just use Photoshop for image processing, I used the Olympus software to upgrade the firmware in the body and lenses but as it's no longer manufactured I won't need it anymore.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I don't have Photoshop Kev so will use the proprietary software. The latest version which combines a lot of the previous separate packages is not available for Windows10 64 bit so I have downloaded the Windows7 64 bit version and will give that a whirl and see if it runs. Seems strange as the earlier separate versions are available for Windows 10? I have down loaded those as well. When I tried to install the all singing all dancing version it requires the camera to be connected which I cant do at the moment as I don't have the lead, I have ordered one which should come this week.

Oh, I will mention that I have created a new category in the hobbies section of the Gallery for Photography.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

How you getting on with the Canon Ian?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

OK thanks Kev. Just playing around with it in Auto in the main and trying out the Macro settings at the moment. All of these were taken at 18mp but I have processed them through Irfanview to resize for the site.

Ian

Return to “Photography”