Editing , Cropping and Manipulation

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Editing , Cropping and Manipulation

Post by Whyperion »

Or maybe not.

I was going through one days worth of photos , with even a free old digital camera - wait time between switch on , focus and completing photo a short eternity, which meant that the subject matter , mostly moving , was sometimes missed. Thinking though how to present the photos. I could leave the main subject detached in a way from its background and surroundings , which would lose reference of where the photo was , and to an extent fashions , weather conditions and generally the subject in context. Its not a problem say a portrait photographer has ( other than maybe making the subject 'better' than their reality ), and the problems have been discussed in books, particularly street furniture and errant trees and lampposts, to digitally remove seems a good idea not to detract from the subject , yet one feels one is incorrectly changing the landscape.

Anyway noted on the BBC website , might be of interest :

A new exhibition at the Barbican in London, Everything was Moving: Photography from the 60s and 70s explores the shifting political and social landscape of that time through the work of a number of photographers. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-19558613
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Editing , Cropping and Manipulation

Post by Big Kev »

Interesting article. Would quite like to see the exhibition but don't think I'll have the time. :sad:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My mentors were all heavily into photographic journalism and it was a point of honour to get the framing and composition right in the viewfinder. The best cameras (particularly the Nikon F of course!) gave the same image on the film as you saw in the viewfinder. It was common to print pics with the dark edge of the neg bleeding into the image. I still try to maintain that standard but will admit that from the picture editor's point of view there is a case for cropping. If you want to get the best view of this find a copy of Harold Evans' book Pictures on a Page. I was lucky enough to find a cheap clean copy, (LINK) You can still get them on Bookfinder for about a tenner. Well worth the investment.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Un edited , from the view finder , though the processing lost the title over the community centre.

Compared with the forgotten places one I note phone box is still in place , but a newer aluminum one

If cropped I would lose the people and right hand shelter and the stop pole , framing the building with the curved shelter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Photography”