The View from Up Here.

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The View from Up Here.

Post by Wendyf »

I'm lucky to have a wonderful view and a new camera, so I thought I would start my own topic to put the pics in.

The approaching storm this afternoon made me put the mower away, but the wind changed suddenly and it passed us by.

Then as the sun was going down this evening....

Image.
chinatyke
Donor

Re: The View from Up Here.

Post by chinatyke »

Very nice views, Wendy. What a nice idea and great photos. Love the bottom one, it would also look well as a painting.

A long time ago I was in Hainan Island with my sister whose hobby was photography. Sher told me there is a name for that effect of layering of the landscape. Sorry, can't remember what it was, but you have captured it beautifully.

Looking forward to some more pics from you.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely Idea Wendy.... Good pics. My mind went to the recent TV programmes on keeping traffic moving in London. I don't think we would swap!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Sunshine & showers this morning with a brisk westerly breeze.

The rooks are enjoying it!

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Lovely pics. We are all flat around here and can just see Rivington in the distance.
When we came to Barnoldswick earlier in the week, we came on the road from Barrowford/Higherford, would we have come past you? We came past Whitemoor stables. There seems to be some very nice properties up on that road and quite a few for sale---maybe we should move back to the hills.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

No Gloria, but you can see that road in the distance on this mornings pics. The white things top left of the last photo are mobile homes at the Dalesview park and the backs of the houses beside that road before it drops down the hill into Barlick.
elise

Post by elise »

Good photos Wendy
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Excellent photos Wendy, if you intend more of this think about a tripod, the cheapest way of improving your images.
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

I think my brother used to live in one of those houses many many years ago, there was a fantastic view out back.
Gloria
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

" we came on the road from Barrowford/Higherford,"

So did I on my recent pilgimage. That's what the satnav ordered me to do. :smile: Attractive scenery, but narrow road in parts, and the local drivers would not yield an inch. Having great respect for my no claims - I slowed to a halt on several occasions. I mentioned how attractive the countryside was to Stanley, and wondered why it wasn't promoted more, as a tourist destination. he said " Let's just keep it to ourselves"
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Loving your photos Wendy, you certainly have a talent for photography. Thanks :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Thanks for those photos Wendy - I echo China's comments. I'd have any of them on my wall.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Tripps, our satnav did the same, and we had the same experience with local drivers----they were "coming ready or not".
Gloria
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Thanks everyone, it's the view that's good not my photography!
I'm still using the camera on an "auto" setting, I need to read the manual and get a bit more adventurous. Hartley, I haven't tried a tripod, being more of grab the camera, dash outside and snap sort of person, but I might give it a try....especially as the camera doesn't have a viewfinder so I can't hold it steady against my face.
The camera is a Canon SX500 with a 30x zoom (currently on offer at Argos for an excellent price) it's small and light and I love it!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

This is the view from the kitchen window. It's my washing-up view, so I don't bother with the dishwasher.

There's the ancient highway from Colne to Skipton, "Sandbeds", the masts and Pinhaw to look at, and also the old farms of Ninevah, Salt Pie and Proctor Heights.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

A photo taken a couple of weeks ago using the zoom. Old fashioned small bale haymaking below Harden Old House.

It has been a good year for haymaking...hopefully it will be available for the winter at a good price!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You seem to have tickled everyon's fancy Wendy! Good stuff, keep it up.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Wendy, the layered sunset one should be sent off to Countryfile, it's brilliant. You could sell loads of prints from that, I would certainly buy one.
Gloria
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I love the views too, but mostly I am chuckling to imagine that Wendy uses her face to hold the camera still. Hilarious. ( what shape is your face for heaven's sake?)
I must admit I hold my breath when taking pics on zoom, or lean against anything solid to keep things steady.
( so I just turn blue...but your face must be something truly amazing)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Always like to keep you amused Maz :smile: Having checked with my old camera (which is quite small) I find that its my hand that rests against my admittedly strange shaped face, with my nose sitting comfortably between thumb and forefinger :grin:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Yes, of course, and it is the strangest feeling not having a view finder at first ( I am thinking of the hysterics I went into trying teach my mother how to use a digital camera...which I thought was a step forward for her as she must have hundreds of photos of people from the neck down. A photographic decapitator if ever there was one. With the new camera, her subjects are now just blurred blobs, complete with blurred, blobby heads though.)
But I have heard of some folk who have faces that stop traffic.
And others that have faces that launch ships.
Others that crack mirrors.

Having one that holds a camera steady would be an asset ( a small window of marketability!). :interesting:
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Great pics Wendy! With the Canon's intelligent vibration sensor you'll manage without a tripod most of the time. Steadying the camera against something solid will help at other times, especially on full zoom. It can also help to use a a wad of material (scarf, glove, folded handkerchief) between the camera and any hard surface such as a fence to further damp down vibrations. One danger I find is that in low light situations I'm sometimes over-optimistic about the vibration sensor - I take a pic and it looks OK on the back of the camera but when I get home and blow it up on screen it's less good! Can't win `em all!

Another trick when you need to keep the camera still is to use the shutter delay function - set it for 2 seconds which means the picture is taken after you've pressed the shutter and when the vibration from pressing the shutter has ebbed away.

I notice, looking at the details of the SX500, that it claims to have `0 cm macro', presumably meaning you can get very close close-ups. My Canon G11 is good, offering 1cm macro, but 0 cm sounds amazing - except perhaps you get so close that you hit the object with your lens if not being careful!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wendy, no shame about auto.... My camera has functions I don't even know about! Perhaps I'm just getting old because I don't worry about it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Looking north across to Blearaside yesterday.

hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Hi Wendy good advice from tizer, tripod only for long exposures or long distance landscapes, your layered view would have enlarged lovely if taken using a tripod.I have some good quality VR lenses,but once on a tripod I can switch off the vibration reduction. this has enabled me to capture views over 25miles in winter light, with no heat haze. The argos tripod I use with my pocket camera cost £10.00

Return to “Photography”