Woodcarving a hare

micktoon
Regular User

Woodcarving a hare

Post by micktoon »

Hi all , well I have been starting to do some more woodcarvings, I hate the laying out and band sawing part so have done a few bits at the same time once the gear for doing that stage was out, then I will have enough to last me a while.

My first subject is a sitting hare, the design is from the woodcarver magazine. First the drawing is expanded to fit the wood on the computer then the print taped on with carbon paper under it and traced onto the wood, The wood I am using is Lime wood.

This is done for both the front view and side view, this is then cut around with the bandsaw, once the first direction is cut the scrap wood is tapped back so the wood becomes a block again so the other direction can also be cut while remaining stable on the saw table.

I am also cutting out a pointer dog and two wrens, these were laid out in the same manner but I do not have decent views from the above so will have to carve away rather than bandsaw for these items.

This is the hare and all the bits of scrap from cutting it out in the two planes , you end up with some weird shapes, I also managed to cut it out in such a way that it left a decent size and shape bit of scrap that will do for two walking stick handles once split down the middle, I intend doing a ducks head and a pheasants head with these. You can see this at the back of the table.

This shot shows all the blanks cut out.

This is the hare staring to be carved out, its tricky getting your head around what is safe to remove at this stage as it still does not look much like the finished thing and with the wood unlike clay or metal , once its taken off, thats it , its gone !!

Then its just more of the same , keep refering to the drawings and slowly carving away , then checking again and carving more. This Lime wood I am using for the hare is slightly spalted which gives the interesting markings ( lime is normally very bland and no visible grain ) You can see this in the photo of the hare front on here. Spalting is caused by a fungus in the wood, it can make patches of the wood soft but does not seem to bad so far.

Once it starts to take shape it gets easier to know what is really safe to take off but still tricky to know how far you dare go in some areas and there is less of a safety margin for error the closer to size it gets too.

I decided to do some sanding and dremel work to smooth the shape out as I was having a hard time deciding what was right and what was not.

This is the stage I have reached so far, I can already tell it will not end up exact to the drawing, which wont really matter as long as I think it still looks nice or not wrong, sometimes its best to leave it a day or two then look at it with 'fresh eyes' and it can seem easier to work out which bits need work and what areas are safe to take more wood off.
So watch this space............More to come soon.
Cheers Mick
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Woodcarving a hare

Post by Stanley »

Fascinating Mick.......
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
LizG

Post by LizG »

Fantastic! That was great to see the all the different stages. How long to get from the first stage to the stage in the last photo?
Liz
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

And how is your leg progressing?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Are there pictures of the wooden leg?!
micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

I have got a bit more done to the Hare carving and also started the wren, I have been loaned three seperate carvings of a wren at different stages from a friend who is an expert at bird carving to use as a guide to doing mine, good job too as they have been a great help so far, I am very greatful to have them to compare to.

Liz , the hare has probably taken about 6-8 hours to this stage, I am still new to carving so am probably taking longer than I should but I check , check and check again before taking more off :grin: as it can not be put back really !
The leg is progressing slowly Stanley but going in the right direction anyway, a wood leg might be a good topic lol.

This is the hare , I am not sure how different it will look in photos but quite a bit of work has been done since the last shots.

The wren along side the stage 1 pattern, up to the stage I have reached , in the first shot mine is the one nearer my wrist and in the second shot mine is the one at the bottom. I have carved it with gouges to this basic shape then used a dremel type tool with sanding drums to refine the shape , it still needs lots more work, I will post photos of the sample carvings I am aiming to copy next time .

It would seem the moon gazer hare design is a loose copy of a Paul Jenkins bronze scupture of the same name, Paul has a range of very nice hare bronzes in all manner of poses, I assume he gave permission for it to be in the wood carving magazine ? but either way looks like he deserves credit for the design

Cheers Mick
micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Well the hare is almost done, the hare carving is done just a base to do for it now, the main reason for this is the grain in the wood runs up and down so the feet sticking out are likely to get snapped off if knocked at any point in the future.

This is it after final sanding and the other detail carved in , like the feet.

It then was waxed using beeswax mixed with turpentine scrubbed in with an old toothbrush, and warmed over with an electric heat gun so it soaks in.

Then buffed off with a soft brissle brush then buffed wit a soft cotton cloth and the jobs a good un !

Cheers Mick.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As usual, good work and a perfect finish! I shall not be going into competition! Second eye operation today so new reading glasses shortly after Xmas. I shall have to warm the shed and get in and have a play to see how I go on.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

That is lovely, well done.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Hi All , I have a few more photos of the finished hare carving with the mahogany base fitted , I put it on a base as the grain was running up through the feet and they could have been snaped off if they were knocked.

Cheers Mick
LizG

Post by LizG »

It's beautiful.
Liz
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have a piece of your mahogany grinning at me in the shed..... Roll on the readers! This week I hope....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Wow, that is lovely. Can we see the finished product of the wrens?
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Hi Stanley .........I hope you are not bluffing :grin: , I am looking forward to seeing you back in that shed :laugh5:
Thanks for your comments Liz , I am glad you liked it .

Hi Gloria, I have still not done anymore to the wrens but will be soon so will post pics, I have started the pointer dog so will put some photos up of that getting done once I get them on the computer so watch this space .

Cheers Mick
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

They could be here today. First job is to get the LTP13 pics sorted out.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Wood Working”