Kitchen Refurb

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Kitchen Refurb

Post by Stanley »

These things happen Ian. The trick is to rectify them with the least pain and it looks as though you have managed that..... A variation from my Granddad Alex is that 'A drunken man on a galloping horse won't notice it'.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I put the new door on the corner cupboard, transferring the corner post to it and without handle, that's now sorted. I had to swap the hinges out as well as the corner unit has 170 degree hinges. I have fitted the flipped 300 door with the handle to the bottom 300 unit next to the cooker which has to hinge from the right hand side, it has standard hinges on at the moment but it too could do with 170 degree. I have had to hang it that way as this is the unit that buts up to the sink base and creates the left hand corner. Due to the width of the room I could not get a clearance gap between the units which would have allowed it to swing the other way. This will also mean that the fill in piece at the side of the sink unit door will have to be fitted on the inside of the front fascia rather than the front, I may actually cut it as an insert to sit flush as it will look better.

Jack was at home so we took the opportunity of un-boxing the oven and dry fitting it to the base unit. We had to get the support shelf at the right height and install the metal heat shields to the front edges of the cabinet, we have also fitted the filler piece below the oven. So it's just waiting for connecting up now along with the ignition for the hob. Simple slide out and back in then final fixing through the front with a couple of screws.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Any updates Ian? Need a picture 'fix' :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Only finished exams last week Kev and have had one or two jobs to do at home. Jack is using the kitchen as he has a sink and gas hob (without ignition at the moment). No date yet for Nathan for the electrics.
I have almost worked up, still have the pelmet to do, need a good dry day to get the cutting done in the yard. I'm going to do a reverse of the top, identical measurements of course. Just a bit of prep to do around the back door frame inside and then the painting can be completed. I'll take a photo next time I'm down.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Excellent
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Jack's electrics were sorted while we were on holiday so the four extensions he was running the kitchen on have now gone. He is complaining (after having no light at all downstairs) that everything is too bright! Anyway I can crack on after we get Ruby back home and finish the bits and bobs. I will get it finished before we go on our beach recovery holiday. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Been doing odd bits of prep at Jacks, mainly for the final bits of painting. I scraped out all the filler around the back door casing and renewed so the glossing can now be finalised. I have also done a bit of refurbishment work on the internal door to the living room from the kitchen. The original solid pine door has been replaced by previous owners with one of those modern white finished internal panelled doors, they are quite lightweight and are of honeycomb construction with just a minimal mounting rail for the door mechanism if fitted. This one is on a roller catch and has been fitted with round knobs which have been refitted a number of times to reposition the screw fixings, so much so that the knobs were hanging off for lack of purchase in the material. The door is in good nick apart from that. They are a stupid price to replace so I have made remedial repairs. I plugged all the old holes with wood and PVA then sanded each side flat. I had some 3 or 4mm mm pine board so I have cut and sanded a couple of pattresses to fit to each side. I have glued and pinned these on and left them to set with a cramp on. These now cover al the previous mounting failures. We had previously painted the kitchen side of the door so there is just the pattress to paint on that side along with the other side of the door.
Ian
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

It's a shame about the original door. The old solid doors are so nice. When my brother renovated his first home in Cardiff. He kept all his old doors, stripped them down to the natural wood and oiled them. They were beautiful. He also had a Victorian tiled hall and kitchen. He kept those too. It was a house with great potential but was a terrace with no back access and nowhere to park his car as it opened straight on to a main road . They moved eventually, when they had small children, what had been a cheap sad buy he left as a magnificent house with original features.
If you keep searching you will find it
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

With an odd exception all our internal doors are the originals. When we moved in they had all been panelled with hardboard and painted. I took them all off, removed the hardboard and had them dipped. We then did them all with a neutral sealer and then a thinned polyurethane top coat. We stripped all the architraves by hand and those are the same. When I had my workshop in Colne there was a plumber in the same building and he had removed an original 1920's oak fire surround with mantle that he was intending to skip, it had 70 years of coal dust and crud on it. It was a shame to skip it so I gave him £10 for it and took it home. I spent the next 2 -3 weeks cleaning it back to the bare wood. It has a sticker on the back dated 1921. It has a nice carved half clover leaf and chevron strip arranged in lozenges full width just under the mantle that took a long time and sore fingers to get back to the wood. The hearth and mantle had been taken out in our back room and there was a Canon Gas Miser mounted on the wall. We replaced that with a tiled hearth and back and then had a new gas fire installed I then fitted the 1920's surround. We never use the gas fire now as we have CH but it remains in-situ along with the surround.

Here is Jacks internal door with it's pattress fitted to support the new door knob after it's painted up, picture is before I filled the nail holes in the corners.

Kev said he hadn't seen any pictures for a while so here is a quick rotation round the kitchen, now in use. Pelmet still to cut and fit on the bottom of the cupboards. LED down lighting has been fitted under the cupboards. I didn't photograph the ceiling but that now has six brushed steel skirted LED down lights fitted.

Oven, hob, extractor and chimney.

Bit of work to do round the boiler, and a fill in piece needs fitting in the sink unit. More on this later.

Pantry and stairs doors with new 4 way light switch finally wired up and working.

All woodwork has been painted up now, the last few bits I did today will probably need another light coat. I have painted right up to the caulking that I ran in the other day around the back door. When the frame has had another coat and dried off I will run a bead of white silicone round to finish off.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Looks tidy.......
When I moved in here I took all the original doors off, stripped the hardwood off them and had them dipped. What surprised me was the weight of them! I re-used all the original hinges and door locks and handles Making new shields for the knobs wherever they were needed. I hate these modern doors! All right the front and back doors are better but I like to see old style internal ones and if they are Baltic Pine so much the better. The only one I didn't touch was the door from the kitchen into the shed but I fitted that with antique cast brass doorknobs, a good mortice lock and a solid brass finger plate with shaped brass pull handle..... I love old door furniture!
By the way, I don't like hot caustic dipping but as the doors are all good pegged generous mortice joints none of them suffered or warped.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Looking good, Ian.

I have the original internal doors, with the exception of the bi-fold arrangement into the dining room. At sometime the hardware has been changed and fitted higher up on the doors, probably a good thing in my house :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

That is looking fantastic, well done it it's been a long job hasn't it
If you keep searching you will find it
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Thanks Sue, the main delays have been waiting for others mainly the final electric hook up. I had nearly 7 weeks of exams invigilation along with a bit more down time for holidays with the grandchildren. Jack has been using the kitchen though since the gas hob was connected up.

Given all the paintwork I did yesterday a final coat and the window bottom an extra coat while I had the paint pot open. Noticed that I haven't done the kicking boards either yet as I had to leave them off for access underneath, the cabling for the cooker and hob feeds runs underneath with the switching in the sink base unit. It only needs 3 sections cutting and the brackets positioning. All stuff left to do are bits which in many cases take longer that the bigger jobs. It's progressing and I'm hoping for a final finish before our Greek excursion. :smile:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I did the plinths the other day but found we had been under supplied on the plinth seal for the bottom, we need an extra length. I have cut and fitted all the plinths so its a simple matter to retro fit the seal strip later.

I fitted the knobs to the living room door now the paint job has hardened off

I have decided to tile the window sill as the front edge meets the worktop directly behind the sink. There is room to run the border tiles along the front and still allow for a silicone bead to finish it off, it will make a much better waterproof seal for that area.

We need some more, (4 lengths) of the border tiles. Checking on B&Q if find that they are now end of line and not available online or at any of our local B&Q's. I have found stock at Bradford or Halifax which is the area our Jack works in with the schools he supports so he is picking some up tomorrow. Good news is that they have been reduced from about £3.70 a strip to £0.30p so only £1.20 for what we need. :smile:

I have been to our local emporium today on Seniors discount day to pick some tiles for the sill, I only need 3 and have selected a near match from the same range as the border tiles. They are regular squares arranged as 6 x 6 and should be OK for the job in hand. I got nearly £3.00 discount on these. I will run the border tiles along the front with the metal trim on the top which will stand above the front edge by 10mm. the tiles for the sill are the same thickness (8mm) as the border so they should sit nicely up to the trim on a bed of adhesive/grout. I got the length of plinth seal that I need as well.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Good stuff, it'll get there :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Best laid plans and all that, just had a call from Jack to say that he was at the Halifax branch of B&Q which, despite what it said on the internet did not have stock of the 4 extra border tiles we need! They have checked stock at all other branches and there are none to be had. :sad:

Plan B: The tiles I have bought for the sill are 6x6 squares, each square is the same dimension as the height of the border tiles (48mm). I will have to cut each of the 6x6's down so we will have spare tile strips to do the front. So the sill will be a separate but in keeping design to the border tiles. I still have enough of those to tile up to the sill at either side.

They should put estimated end of line dates on stuff like tiles, it's only 6 months since the shelves were full of them.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Never mind Ian, it's still a tidy job!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I have offered up the solution dry to the window bottom and actually I think it will look better than using a dissimilar tile along the front. The tiles at 50mm as they will be once bedded in will end up slightly higher than the height of the window bottom and I will have to raise this slightly to get the right level for the top tiles. Not really a problem and the lesser of two evils. If I raise the bed slightly it will allow fixing without having to cut any tiles down from front to back, 4 tiles deep will be perfect, the tiles are pre spaced on a mesh backing. I will still have to cut the side tiles down to match the profile of the window casing, it will need two straight cuts, its nearly but not quite square at the right hand side and has about a 30 degree bevel to the casing at the left. The tiles are not ceramic but stone squares 8mm thick, my Son in Law has a small angle grinder that is used primarily for chasing cables into masonry which should be good for the job. I will fit the whole job lot dry before final fix. I have a couple of strips spare for any faux pas. :extrawink:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 15 Sep 2017, 09:45 I have offered up the solution dry to the window bottom and actually I think it will look better than using a dissimilar tile along the front. The tiles at 50mm as they will be once bedded in will end up slightly higher than the height of the window bottom and I will have to raise this slightly to get the right level for the top tiles. Not really a problem and the lesser of two evils. If I raise the bed slightly it will allow fixing without having to cut any tiles down from front to back, 4 tiles deep will be perfect, the tiles are pre spaced on a mesh backing. I will still have to cut the side tiles down to match the profile of the window casing, it will need two straight cuts, its nearly but not quite square at the right hand side and has about a 30 degree bevel to the casing at the left. The tiles are not ceramic but stone squares 8mm thick, my Son in Law has a small angle grinder that is used primarily for chasing cables into masonry which should be good for the job. I will fit the whole job lot dry before final fix. I have a couple of strips spare for any faux pas. :extrawink:
I have an electric tile cutter (like a bench saw) if it'll be easier than the angle grinder...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Thanks Kev but in this case I don't think it will be. They are not solid, the tiles are separate stone squares on a plastic mesh backing, probably better coming from the top on the individual tiles than from the bottom through the mesh. I only have to cut four on each side to the correct angle.

When you retire you could start a tool hire emporium I reckon. :biggrin2: :extrawink:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lending tools can be dangerous stuff if you don't know and trust the borrower! (Kev, your cigarette lighter plug awaits.....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 15 Sep 2017, 10:56 Thanks Kev but in this case I don't think it will be. They are not solid, the tiles are separate stone squares on a plastic mesh backing, probably better coming from the top on the individual tiles than from the bottom through the mesh. I only have to cut four on each side to the correct angle.

When you retire you could start a tool hire emporium I reckon. :biggrin2: :extrawink:
No worries. For reference the cutting wheel cuts 'downwards' if that makes sense.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 16 Sep 2017, 02:19 Lending tools can be dangerous stuff if you don't know and trust the borrower! (Kev, your cigarette lighter plug awaits.....)
I think they're quite safe with Ian. It's good to get them used, there's only so much DIY I can do :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

How many people give the lender a bob, (5p) as a waiver if they borrow a ladder? I think that used to be the going rate, I don't know if it used to apply to other tooling though. :smile:

I'll let you know how I get on with the mini grinder Kev. My concern for a flat bed arrangement is that the tiles are on a flexible bed and I only need to knock the corners off four individuals on one side. They are only 48mm square so not a lot to get hold of, that's why I thought going straight down with the grinder on each tile would be the best bet.
Ian

Return to “DIY”