Miscellaneous DIY Projects (or bits of jobs)

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Miscellaneous DIY Projects (or bits of jobs)

Post by Big Kev »

Nearly there, best go and buy some pipe and call UU to inspect.
20220616_140737.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

What sort of pipe do you need Kev? We have some spare blue alkathene pipe and various fittings.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 17:54 What sort of pipe do you need Kev? We have some spare blue alkathene pipe and various fittings.
Thanks for the offer Wendy, I've been out and bought 25m of 25mm alkathene this afternoon. It was on offer at Toolstation. I got a brass 25mm to 15mm stoptap too also on offer :good:
I booked the inspection as well, they can't come until the 28th so the car will have to stay out on the street until then. I can get it in (hence the tyre tracks in the dirt) but it's a tight squeeze.
20220616_202047.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

20220616_202747.jpg
Can't get out with the car there :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tidy job as usual..... :biggrin2:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sleeving is required where the new pipe enters the house and, due to the height difference between the garden and the house, the 30in depth couldn't be maintained so insulation is required.
20220618_111128.jpg
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I used soil pipe for the sleeving, this is the transition from 24in down to 30in
20220618_111043.jpg
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

A bit of shoveling and I've made room for the car and a bit of room to get out on foot.
20220618_133733.jpg
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Kev.
I'm a bit confused is the pipe where it enters the house higher than the garden level. Just wondering if water can seep into the house along the pipe run or have you sealed it completely?
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 18 Jun 2022, 16:32 Kev.
I'm a bit confused is the pipe where it enters the house higher than the garden level. Just wondering if water can seep into the house along the pipe run or have you sealed it completely?
The entry point into the house is higher than the pipe run. It's 30in deep from the back gate, under the flagged bit. It then goes under the first retaining wall (where the concrete was cut out) and comes up to a depth of around 20in. It then slopes up gently into the back wall of the kitchen. You can just see the black soil pipe I used as sleeving in the gap between the retaining wall and the kitchen. I am in the process of putting up a concrete block wall to encase the short bit of black pipe that is currently open to the elements, this will put it 'underground' and meet UU's inspection requirements. The black waterproof membrane will stop any moisture getting into the kitchen wall and will be trimmed off once the wall is built. It won't take long as it's only 16in wide, it's a tight squeeze getting in there for me though :biggrin2:
20220618_194038.jpg
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It makes me feel tired just looking at all that work..... I think I'm getting old.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Got the last of the concrete blocks in this morning, glad to get that done. It's not easy trying to lay blocks standing sideways with one hand, I'm too big to manoeuvre in that small space. Just need to backfill it with rubble and cap the top off with a bit of concrete.
20220619_120033.jpg
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good! Can you relax now?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Not yet, I called UU this morning to ask if they had any earlier inspection dates (another 8 days is a long time to leave an open trench in the garden). They're coming on Wednesday afternoon now so I need to retrieve the odd big lumps that have fallen in and line the bottom with some sand. I'm back on the paid job on Wednesday so the backfill we be evening work.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

A bit of tidying up, the rough pointing around the blocks will be rendered over so I wasn't careful with it. I have backfilled this bit as the alkathene pipe is sleeved. I have photos for evidence of what's under there.
20220620_121954.jpg
20220620_122029.jpg
20220620_122221.jpg
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You sound to be more patient than I am Kev. It would really bug me having to wait 8 days for an inspection!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 03:12 You sound to be more patient than I am Kev. It would really bug me having to wait 8 days for an inspection!
I phoned them yesterday morning and managed to get an earlier appointment, the inspector is coming tomorrow now, 22nd.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:biggrin2: :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

A rough render on the blockwork this morning, once it's had a few days to dry out I can tosh it over with some masonry paint to blend it in with the rest. Works are now at a standstill awaiting inspection on Wednesday, I can then fill in the trench, re lay the flags and put some concrete in where I've cut it out. There's a bit of pipework to do in the kitchen and, once UU have connected the new pipe to the main, capping off the old lead pipe.
20220621_090400.jpg
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"capping off the old lead pipe."
That's a good result Kev. There's a house for sale near me at the moment and I doubt if the state of the water supply is figuring largely in the negotiations. It's a good question to ask for reassurance on for anyone buying a property. Far too many of the old connections are still being used.
Incidentally I often wonder about the state of our electricity mains. It's about 100 years since mains leccy arrived. Most properties will still be on the mains installed then.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 03:53 "capping off the old lead pipe."
That's a good result Kev. There's a house for sale near me at the moment and I doubt if the state of the water supply is figuring largely in the negotiations. It's a good question to ask for reassurance on for anyone buying a property. Far too many of the old connections are still being used.
I got to see the inside of the lead branch feed when UU came to fix a leak in the back street, I'm surprised any of us have any water supply at all. I notice fluctuations in water flow when taking a shower. I replaced the supply pipe at Park Street for the same reasons (shared lead supply), the difference here is UU are paying me to do the job whereas Yorkshire Water charged me £1800 to do the same.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 03:53 Incidentally I often wonder about the state of our electricity mains. It's about 100 years since mains leccy arrived. Most properties will still be on the mains installed then.
Most of the utility companies operate their networks on a reactionary basis for repair. The electricity supply once it gets down from the pylons and goes underground only seems to get attention when a bit fails with a big bang or is inadvertently dug up by other contractors, (usually with a JCB). Telephone network was classic until the recent fibre roll-out where previously condemned poles were magically pronounced fit for purpose again. :extrawink: Prior to that it was all still running literally on twisted pairs. Fibre essentially saved it from inevitable collapse. Sewers are a different matter again. I cant remember in my lifetime ever seeing any sewer maintenance in the town. I did experience the effect of collapsed sewer in my basement workshop in Colne back in the 90's, the blockage caused the whole job lot to come up on my floor!
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

UU engineer has been and we've passed inspection. Holes are a lot quicker to fill in :biggrin2:
20220622_150907.jpg
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"Most of the utility companies operate their networks on a reactionary basis for repair."
That's right Ian, if it ain't broke don't mend it. Another version could be "Out of sight, out of mind".
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

When I was mending TV's I was once asked why I cleaned up my solder joints as they wouldn't be seen once the back was on. I explained that's not the point. Keeping it tidy means you can inspect the joints properly and ensure its an effective repair, pride in your work also comes into it of course. Even if it's not seen. :smile:
Ian

Return to “DIY”