SHED MATTERS 2

micktoon
Regular User

Re: SHED MATTERS 2

Post by micktoon »

You back in there yet Stanley ............... its almost winter again :grin:

This is todays car boot finds ..... The boot sales are dying off for this season I think now , even though its been a nice day it was more quiet in general. Two decent books £2 each , one wood carving and the other woodturning, A funny looking coping/fret saw but seems good quality, a small hacksaw, a marples tee handle hole drill, a round diamond sintered type file , meant for filing ceramic tiles I think but I want to see what its like on wood when I am carving and a nice hard smooth natural oilstone.

Cheers Mick
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Is that what we old farts call a gimlet?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Stanley , you have got it spot on , when I did the post I could not remember what they were called but knew it would come back to me soon as someone said it :grin: I have a mystery tool a few people have looked at and no body knows waht it is, there have been a few suggestions but none right , well further reseach has proved them wrong. So its still unknown what it is , I will take some photos tomorrow and see if you have seen one before.
Cheers Mick.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

You could put it in the Mystery Objects thread Mick.
Ian
micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

I have had this tool lying around for years , I can not even remember where I got it from, probably a car boot sale ? I have shown it to a few people that collect tools etc and no one has a clue what it actually is, it could be from any trade and the small notch cut out at the far end of the 'blade' right hand side ( just visable ) may have been not original and added later ?
It looks old and is of general good quality it has no makers marks at all, its iron with wood handle and brass ferrule, its well made , the edges are not sharp and the 'blade' part is sort of a triangle section, the underside of what you see is flat.
Any ideas anyone ?

If anyone wants more info or more photos just ask.
Cheers Mick
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm almost certain I know what it is as I've seen one used. I'll keep stum until it has been dealt with on 'Mystery Objects'.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bodger

Post by Bodger »

Now heres an interesting project for a model ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_yemjfgkE0
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Good animation Bodge, even I got the drift!
Ian
micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Hi All , Due to mainly weather I have not been to many boot sales but got to an indoor market last week and got some new taper shank drills, a long series normal shank drill and a reamer , I got the lot for £10.
I can't remember the actual sizes off the top of my head but the long MT2 drill is 18 inches long, largest was 14.5mm I think , all good makes and unused so happy with them.

Cheers Mick
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Amazing what you can pick up if you keep your eyes open, that's how I finished up with a full shed!
Am feeling guilty about the shed but I'm realistic enough to recognise that until I have my second operation and get some efficient reading glasses anything I do will be a pain. Roll on the letter from Gisburne Park! All is well in the shed, no rust creeping in.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Hi Stanley , hope you get that letter soon , at least you are keeping the rust at bay. I fear it will be the cold season before you know it so the shed wrapped up till next year :surprised: I have still not got a 10% on that tool and I am afraid I think your idea of a saddlers stuffer is wrong too Stanley, an old guy from the carving club who has been a saddler for 50 years says its definatly not a saddlers tool. The best other option so far is some form of ropemaking tool , but not the normal marlin spike type , so lad thinks its for doing some fancy rigging type knots , he is hunting through old books to try and find a picture of one ................ so watch this space for news .
Keep wrapped up and dont let any rust start in the shed .
Cheers Mick.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You could be right about the tool, the one I saw was nowhere near as ornate. There won't be any rust in shed as I am careful never to allow condensing conditions in there. Roll on the letter..... Having one eye is a bugger!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Any sign of the letter yet Stanley ? , nothing worse than not being able to see what you are doing. Glad to hear there is no rust in sight too, there was one day here when it was really cold overnight then really warmed up and rained then was wet all day and much warmer and everything got condensation :surprised: Normally I am ok with it , that was just one of them days where the weather conditions were all against you.
I went to the bootsale for the first time in a while with John Doubleboost , John came back emptyhanded but I got a couple of things.
A Martindale Voltage tester, looks good quality and condition, it indicates what voltage range , if DC or AC and polarity for £2 and an angle drive gadget for a drill , seems like a good bit of kit , it swivels to all angles and is well made so for £3 it would have been rude not to have bought it

This is the angle gadget in a few positions.

Cheers Mick
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley is going for his second eye op tomorrow Mick.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mick, with a bit of luck I shall be pilot grade in both eyes tonight. From what I can see with the good eye I shall need reading glasses and as soon as they are with me just after Xmas I shall be in the shed to have a play. I have a magnifying angle poise lamp in there and I suspect it will come in very handy! Long sight is 100%, it's a miracle, and that's without glasses of course.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Thanks Ian , looks like Stanley still managed to get to the computer in the end. I hope all went well Stanley and your sight will be back to full shed power soon , I look forward to seeing you in there again :grin:

Cheers Mick
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks, all went well last night but of course the new eye needs to settle down and I;m waiting for the effect of all the medication to wear off. Seems to be OK. I'll report when I'm up to speed.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Hi Stanley , I was glad to hear that all went well and hope you will things wil settle down quickly so you can enjoy full sight again and have a play in the shed.
Cheers Mick
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm seeing an improvement every day. I have to keep reminding myself that it's only 60 hours since I had a knife in my eye! Patience Stanley.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bodger

Post by Bodger »

Stanley, now your peepers ae getting good i thought this may be of interest, different chip formations in high resolution
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/an ... on-276094/
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Interesting video Bodge. It makes you wonder how we ever get a finish when you watch the build-up on the tool nose actually doing the cutting!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Hi Stanley , how are the eyes doing now ? You might get back in that shed before Christmas yet :grin: , Hope they are doing well and your happy with your new vision.
Cheers Mick.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for asking Mick. I finish the eye drops tomorrow so the full benefits in the right eye will slowly kick in. I'm fighter pilot now so it will be Superman X ray vision when they settle down!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Not really sure where to post this possible appeal for help, but here as hopefully a few people who can assist with information may pop-in.

Now that mother-in-law has no direct control over the contents of her fathers house there is a possible need to move out at least some of the stuff. While furniture will probably go to appropriate freecycle or charity shops, the rather less usual stuff ( the house was originally a part-retail premises built new and bought by her father in the 1920s , located in South Yorkshire and used as a shoe repairers until effectively the death of her husband) is going to be more difficult. As I doubt my son will have the time ( or the readies to finance safely the property in its current condition until he gets time) its probable the electric driven machinery ( dating from the 1920s with some probable 1950s/60s updates has only a limited market - most new shoe repairers either need to by from franchisors or prefer new equipment that wont need overhaul or repair itself), will either have to be sold at a fraction of its value (the total value of the property ,thanks to its location ,is well under inheritance tax limits, but things like council tax /rates kick in on us just about immediately) [ I also get another morris minor for the repair pile, hopefully 'just' a brakes overhaul - not fun in January in an unheated garage when I have a garage full of junk that should have been cleared the end of this week in London to do as well ]. Alternatively the equipment I could try to advertise in Industrial Exchange and Mart ,but the last time I looked the shoe-repair equipment section was rather empty. I understand the wooden laths (?) do have a value and if I can store them should raise something at auction in London.

My thought overall is for the equipment to go on permanent loan to somewhere like Beamish ( there are family connections to Hartlepools ) if they could collect it ,it would fit in with the 1950s planned displays , and there is also a rather substantial gas powered back bolier/ cooker system and just about everything else (Wedding Dress?) dating from the 1950s in situ the last time I looked in the 1980s.

Thankfully the wife's grandfather's drum kit was sold in the mid 1960s or that would be joining the pile too ( his "day" job was pit musician at the Hippodrome chain of cinemas/music halls across West Yorkshire from the 1910s to the 1930s , the demise coming with the talkies ( even a six piece band was expensive for operators to pay weekly for ). There is still a parlour piano - again one from about 1912 of the English makes that are not favoured by dealers- though, I dont think it will take too well to a small , centrally heated , flat.

I will contact Beamish , but if anyone knows of any other , or better place , for these items to go to I would be grateful. ( for various reasons the wife just wants it all in a skip and the house auctioned off as soon as possible , but I would hope the historic value can be appreciated by others )
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

I have emailed Beamish, their offices closed until 2nd Jan , so I wont expect an early reply, but much of the items does seem to match with the 2013 'donate' criteria so hopefully this will be the destination of them, they may well be joined at some time by some other bits that I find I have ( I had put them aside for a toy museum in scotland, but that closed late in 2012 so that did not occur ). Much of the furniture we had in our first flat originally came from the family side from Hartlepool, but gaining more furniture as we moved meant that went to charity shops when we were in Leeds.

The house (semi) itself is interesting , brick built, two storey + roof to front , three storey to rear+ additional external WC shed abutting the house. Internally the ground to lower ground stairs are concrete , with further sub-basement area ( coal hole/store ) , a quite difficult to convert for 'modern' day living and not located in an area of high demand for housing- pity as actually with a bit of re-configuration we could possibly get grants from local authority to either update (mostly electrics) to family house with long term rental out , or provide two 1 bed flats and one studio flat ( which the 'bedroom tax' support cut opponents tell us there is a shortage of ) two of which would have ground level access for the less mobile , copying the footprint and layout of son's flat.

Return to “Crafts”