SHED MATTERS 2

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: SHED MATTERS 2

Post by Stanley »

In your own time, they're cleaned and ready for you.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Been back to the car boots today with my mate John, these are my shed related finds for today.

Quite a varied selection, quite a few bits and bobs of tig welding collets ceramics etc , a flexi neck 26 tig torch head, a nice big old wood clamp, some leather working pliers come hammer plier tool , a pair of end snippers, an O ring plier ? , some french chalk sticks , a carbide burr , a small rose bearing , a large tap wrench , a die wrench , a nice tack hammer and last but not least a full size resin cast of a skull !.................. beleive it or not just what I was after as I want to carve a bigger skull so perfect to work from.

These are the Oring pliers closed

This is them half open the three prongs all move outwards and open to about an inch or a bit more. They will work for O rings but I think I have seen this type of thing getting used to put coloured plastic ID rings on birds legs ? so that might be what they actually are ?.

All in all a canny days booting !

Cheers Mick
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Also used to put castrating rings on lambs.... Glad the operation went OK. Don't do anything rash for a couple of months!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Hi Stanley I have been taking it easy and its been good weather for chilling out in the garden too this week so hoping for more next week :grin: I have got more shed related things again from the car boot sale .
Well the sun was out so myself and JohnDB hit a couple of bootsales once again. We both got some decent stuff, here is my haul, although I got some good gear I was still gutted to see a bloke pick up about 12 tee handled allen wrenches like the one I did get ( I have been looking for some for a while) from right under my nose a matter of seconds ahead of me and get them for £2.............. still I cant complain, I got some good stuff today.

The haul consists of a nice big adjustable spanner ( 24 inch ) it was spotted by John but he alredy has one so I picked this one up ( made in China , which I dont like in general but seems good enough quality ). A 30mm combination spanner, pair of knee pads , a Bahco hacksaw, welders chipping hammer, A welders magnetic clamp , leather hole punch , two square hole punches for sheet metal, roll pin punch , 2 hole saw arbors, a metal wedge, Roebuck small bolt cropper type wire cutters, nice wire crimpers, 1/4 tee allen wrench, small pigs tail flexible handled tool, like a tiny drain clearer tool and 1 set of brass interlocking letter stencils and 2 sets of number stencils, its the type you can assemble then spray through, like used to mark army ammo boxes etc. All at the usual reasonable car boot type prices, so well pleased.

Cheers Mick
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You can't have too many hacksaw frames. Someone once asked me why I had about six. It took quite a while to explain about the need for different blades for different jobs....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The work on the LTP is almost finished. My shed finger is itching!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bodger

Post by Bodger »

Not a shed job, but maybe a model project, a nice piece of precision engineering from 110 yrs. ago, makes one proud of our engineering heritage !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN1tOVzF ... e=youtu.be
micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Hi Bodger, thanks for posting , that is one smart bit of engineering, in its works and looks , I would gladly have that as a main feature on my living room wall :grin:
I have been back to the car boot sale and this was my lot from today............ Only the 6 bits of tool steel and the large centre drill engineering wise. The plastic dial caliper is a decent thing but more for woodworking or rough sizing. The pliers are proper old things I have got them more as small tongs for picking hot things up blacksmithing wise really at 20p you can not walk past them ! The two pipe cutters are Momument make and work well. The knife looking tool is for hacking putty from windows and as I have a window glass to replace should come in handy, the screw driver is Spiralux ratchet type straight blade and all the little buffing wheel type things are various grades , tuffted , felt etc, the small box came with them its called 'Gloss Sticks' for restoring the gloss to porcelain after grinding , made by the Columbus dental Mfc Co, Columbus , Ohio U.S.A there is a small instruction booklet and two sticks of polish inside and judging by the way its written must be early 1900's I would say , interesting.

Cheers Mick
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Careful Mick! Or you will end up with as much stuff as I have.... (Mind you, I never regretted getting anything)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Hi Stanley , are you not back in that shed yet ??.....you can not blame cold weather now :grin: I have tried to post some more car boot finds but doing it my normal way did not work. I normally write post in another forum I post on , then 'select all' , 'paste' and copy into the reply window here , last time it said something along the lines the post can not be submitted as in wrong format, please try again. I did try again and it just said the same again ?............... I have not tried to post again with photos etc from a copied and pasted post, does anyone know if this have changed on this site to cause it or was it a one off that night ?.
Thanks Mick.
micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

More boot finds to report lads. Sunday I got this stuff , A Black & Decker heat gun, a slaters ripper ( you slide it under slates to be removed and pull back sharply , the hooked blade cuts the copper roofing nails off so slates can be removed without breaking them ) 2 scotch augers for boring holes in wood , a bar fits through the top like a tommy bar and they pull themselves into the wood as they cut a wood bit was thrown in with them, and a nice 6 inch imperial dial caliper.

I have been back to another bootsale today as it was lovely day weather wise again, I took a couple of photos of the general scene, thinking people from other areas of the world may not be able to picture an English car boot sale !

This is the parking area in the foreground and the bootsale are in the distance, as you can see its a lovely day and setting, just goes to show the North of England is not as deserted and desolate as some Southern M.P's seem to think .

This is the general scene in there , lines of cars with their good either on the ground or on tables, it can be literally anything for sale.......you name it , its there really, people just walking about inspecting the goods.

This is what I managed to find , a nice set of metal drawers, I knew John Doubleboost was after some of these so snapped them up for him, The yellow things resting on top of the draws are suction cups for fitting and lifting glass...............good quality German made so at £2 each , you never know when you might need them.

A set of Dormer M24 taps, the box looks like its been rattling about in a toolbox but the taps look unused.

For once some proper engineering type stuff, a 5C collet block set and a new in the box 3/4 inch R8 collet.

Last but not least a box full of reamers and two lathe chuck keys, the reamers are both metric and imperial, hand and machine reamers, some nice and sharp some a bit rough but the whole lot was £10

Cheers Mick.
micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Well it would appear that it was just the other night that had a problem as I have just did the above post the normal way and it seems to have worked ok :laugh5:

Cheers Mick
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You remind me of me thirty years ago Mick. Trick is to know when to stop buying!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Sundays car boot haul , the weather has started to turn so showers made the boot sales a bit on and off but still managed to find some decent stuff. Here is the days haul.
Two Scotch augers the long wood drill bits you can see at the bottom of the photo, they have short tee tubes at the top out of the camera veiw that a bar slots through and they are just wound into the wood by hand, this is a 3/4 inch and inch sizes , I have already picked up a few smaller sizes so have a set up to inch now. The box with the electric sockets coming out of it is a 110 volt splitter box so you can leave 3 items plugged in at a time, which will be handy. Three spanners 13mm, 14mm, 17mm that fit my routers for changing bits. A Clarkson 7/16 BSF tap, a long MT3 tapered reamer, a roatry wire brush, a cup wheel for a grinder, 4 Dewalt recipricating saw blades, a clamp fixture thing, that drops into a hole and will push against an object ( just looked handy for 50p ) and last but not least , the thing that looks like a punch with a knurled section on it is a 1.25 carat diamond grinding wheel dresser made by Albert Herbert so a nice bit of quality kit.

This second photo is a small fixture that a 4 inch grinder fits into and makes it into a small chop saw, they are handy when the grinder has a thin cutting blade for cutting hardened rod etc and shortening bolts and things.

Stanley , I dont know when you stopped buying tools but I bet it was when your legs were starting to let you down or you would probably be still out there now I bet , I still have a lot of items I need to be able to do any and every job ha ha ........... The weather has changed now mind and the nights cutting in so the car boot season will be over soon.

Cheers Mick.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was when the money ran out!
Feeling guilty about the shed but at the moment editing the LTP is the prime objective. Have a look at the Newton edit I saved on the main site when I got into trouble on the dev site for an idea of what I'm doing.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Hi lads , more boot sale goodies today, I dont know if its just me but the photos on my last couple of posts look squashed vertically and stretched length wise ?
This is todays finds, a random selection really.
Two tubes of brown silicone, a waterproof light switch, I need these items for planned jobs and 4 bowling balls , these are made from a very hard heavy wood called Ligum vitea and are perfect for making mallets on the wood turning lathe.

This is the more engineering related stuff. A tool makers clamp, some nice calipers , Jennys are Starrett and have extending leg and fine adjustment too as well as lock, The large internal ones are Moore & Wright and the similar smaller ones are Brown and Sharp even through they are so alike, the small external calipers are also Brown and Sharp but look older and have pattent 5 97 marked on them 1897 ? A nice 15 inch of Elora ( German ) adjustable shifter and a adjustable wood cutting bit for the old type brace.

Then I spotted a box with books in it ..........Umm there seemed to be foundry type books mixed with religous stuff I managed to get these ones and avoid the religous ones.

I only really wanted the general foundrywork books so will give John and Rob the others as they like the more detailed books on the subject. I will keep these three.

There are two of the Standard methods of analysis so will see if Rob wants the other one, I think he will also like The properties of cast iron and the Chemistry book has quite a bit on metals too as well as things relevant to his plating I think.

I think John will like Practical ironmaking as lots of industrial action in it.

Stanley I have look but could not see the the Newton edit , can you give more info where to find it please ....................it will be winter before you get back in that shed this year :grin:

Cheers Mick.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The Newton Pickles Edit is HERE Mick, it takes a while to load in.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Wendy. Plenty of things waiting in the shed and next winter I'll crack the heating problem..... but the LTP is important, the Newton edit is only the tip of the iceberg.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Thanks for the link Wendy , I have not had a chance to have a look yet to be honest as never stopped the past few days, I was expecting to see a post from Stanley with shed action :grin: ....it will be too cold again soon Stanley :laugh5:
This is my haul from last Sunday.
A Record chain wrench , A strage shaped hammer, a Record spoke shave and a rough old scraper tool

This is the hammer head, not sure what it would have been for exactly but will clean up and a new handle should make it new again !

Some taps , 7/16th BSF Presto set and M16x2 Osborn, both good makes and as new.

A Mitutoyo 150 Digimatic vernier, it needed new battery so a gamble , but it worked fine with new battery.

Cheers Mick
micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

These are todays finds :grin: ............... The car boot season will be over soon , so I will be in the shed using all this gear then !

A small Moore & Wright square , A wire and plate size gauge, one side has the standard wire gauge sizes and the other side is marked with the decimal equivalents
A triangle square with no makers name, a set of Bonhaus imperial allen wrenches and an Oakley soft spounge sanding drum to go in the drill press, these are handy for sanding curved sufraces in wood.

This was a job lot for £3 , loads of different stencils , various sizes of lettering and symbols etc and several straight egdes, scale ratio rules, an adjustable angle setter perspex 90/45 square.

Last but not least this was purchased on behalf of my mate John Doubleboost ( he has Man flu at the moment ), I think its his way of not catching a cold again :laugh5:
Cheers Mick.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Too busy with the transcripts Mick! Don't worry, I'll be back!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

This is what Sundays car boot sale turned up.

A bit of a varied selection. 2 big size new files, one flat one half round. 4 x 40grit sander belts, a ' king dick 1/2inch extension bar, a nice pair of wire cutter/ strippers, a bag of cable ties, a carbide tipped drill bit, a Dormer set of easi outs and matching drill set, a Zeus data book, a Wesco oil can, 4 Britool combination spanners 32mm, 19mm, 18mm, 17mm and a Gordon open ended spanner 8mm x 10mm.

This is some 1/2inch thick alloy plate and some 4 inch 100mm ball bearings, they are flaking but ok for what I want them for, to make formers for blacksmithing and metal bashing, they are not light for carrying about boot sales mind !

Cheers Mick
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You've got three big balls! Superman!
How's your leg going on?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

This is what I found at the car boots this week.
Wednesday, There are two cans of some anti rust spray meant for spraying on moulds and dies according to what I can make out off the can, it seems good stuff leaves a thin wax coat. A nice small Snap On chisel, A chrome brush with a handle that you can fill with fluid, turns out it was for cleaning typewriters after looking up on the net. A pack of various hooks for hanging things up, A pack of 10 car body filler spreaders and a paint mixing stick with 2-1 and 5-1 ratios marked on it.

I also got these books, all from one stall for £10, the old steam engine one is from 1902, the decorative ironwork book is good with good photos of ironwork being made in stages.

Todays haul was this lot.
The sockets are Halfords 3/8th drive torx type heads, 3 old style soldering irons, a blower that will be good for blowing off sand casting moulds, the two metal brackets are for hanging something up on, wire leads in my case. There are various sanding drums, grinding stones and a carbide burr, a record small G clamp, WD40 , light oil and an interesting hammer head.

This is the hammer head , I think it must be handmade as quite irregular and not perfect, I like the 'cut of its jib' so will clean it up and fit a new handle, You can never have too many hammers !

Hi Stanley , the leg is not doing too bad , my thigh feeling better but knee just the same, I will be going for check up soon so will see what can be done about my knee. It looks like the summer has finally ended , the weather has changed the past few days............. you will have to hurry up and get in that shed or it will be too cold again.
Cheers Mick
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Don't worry Mick, I'll be back! LTP is in a corner now thank God, almost finished it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Crafts”