Shed Matters 3

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Shed Matters 3

Post by Stanley »

Today is axles and wheels. I have decided to put the axles on crossways, they will be out of sight and crossing the grain so they strengthen the carriage. Easy to make the actual axle ends fit the wheels as well. I happened to have this piece of 1/2" key steel about my person.....

Some careful measuring and decisions and then cut the blanks in the vice using the hacksaw. Then face the ends and make both axles the same length.

Marking the length of the axle ends. Then a bit of straightforward turning.....

A bit later we are ready to drill for the fixings and the taper pins that will retain the wheels.

By closing time I had one axle finished and ready for mounting and the other is ready for tomorrow. Notice that I have decided wood screws will be OK. The original carriages would have very heavy coach screws.

I did this pic of a cluttered bench. You can always tell when I have been enjoying myself. I had a flash back to the early days when I was always wasting time looking for what I wanted. The nice thing about being old and having a well established shed is that if you have used your head, over the years you have made sure that never happens again. If you're just starting a shed don't despair, if you work at it you will end up with full treasure chests as well!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Domestic affairs, cooking and the imminent snooker match have all conspired to cut into time in the shed this morning. However....

I managed to get in for a while and finished both axles. They are now ready for fitting to the carriage.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Despite the demands of shopping and other matters I was in the shed by 07:30 and had a good two hours on the cannon.

We start off by fitting the axles and wheels.

A bit later, I had them fixed.

Here's what we are looking like. Now I have to make the trunnion housings and mount them.

I went for a furtle in my brass ends box.... These two are the right size and nominally the same size.

They are the right overall dimensions, all that was needed was to get into the mill and make all the faces perfectly square and the same size. Half an hour of quiet milling after I addressed the fact that the ways are a but stiff, it's a while since I used it. So I spent some time getting some oil into them. Not easy, the Rong Fu wasn't intended to be lubricated! But I finished up making it a bit better.

A bit later.... We have two blocks that are exactly the same size and dimensions.

Then some decision making and a fag packet drawing. I think I know where I am going now!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm in the shed early this morning because I have a lot to do before I go to Airedale this afternoon so I was in there at 6AM. I want to get the trunnion mounting blocks ready for finishing and fitting. First I did some measuring and marking....

Once I had it all straight in my head and marked I started off by drilling the holes for the mounting bolts and the trunnions. 3/16" for the bolts and 3/8" for the trunnions.

Not long afterwards I was ready for some more marking, I want to cut a couple of shoulders on each mounting block. I have put witness marks on the end of each mount so that I can make sure they are fitted the right way round.

I can't put the trunnions fully in the blocks, I have deliberately bored them tight but I can get them started and offer them up to check I am on the right track. In particular I wanted to check the relationship of the elevating wedge and the breech.

Then into the mill for some metal removal. As I say so many times, this sort of work with stock material instead of castings or forgings that are somewhere near the right shape means that we spend a lot of time making lumps of metal smaller!

Knocking off time at just before 8AM. I think you can see where we are going. Now I need to spend time doing hand work to make the mounts pretty. I don't want to be under any pressure doing that so that's for tomorrow.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

It's looking very nice :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good, I'm glad you like it. I might be AWOL today, good sense to look after myself while the BCG does its work..... My immune system is working overtime!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sorry lads, still doing as little as possible while my immune system works overtime. I shall return eventually but at the moment caution seems the best policy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just to report that treatment is going well with no major side effects. I am still being careful but Shed Itch gets greater every day. There is hope yet for Kev's cannon!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Patience lads...... The pull is getting stronger but this week after the second immunotherapy treatment which is reckoned to be the worst of the six for side effects and I'll admit to tiring easily so I am looking after myself!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The good news is that I have been in the shed. Don't expect anyting major, it was an itch I had to scratch!

The cannon has been on my mind..... The next thing I have to do is bolt the trunnion housings on to the carriage and I didn't want to do the obvious and drill right through the frame to install 4 X 2BA studs. I could just put a thread in the oak itself of course and with some wood glue in the hole they would be fine but I remembered this King Klik set I have had on the shelf for 30 years and hardly ever used. I got it when I was looking for a tidy and authentic way to fasten the engine name plates on the Ellenroad Engine. Originally they had been simply bolted on the the cladding with 14" Whitworth screws and a nut at the back. I had the 1/4" brass Whitworth screws but didn't want to have to take the cladding off to install the plates. I knew about this system and went looking for a kit. Essentially they are a hollow pop rivet that you can install from the front face and clench them with the installation tool. The trick is that the inserts are threaded on the inside so the effect is that you have a threaded hole in a piece of thin plate. The bag holds the 1/4" inserts I had to buy because the kit was for Unified threads.
So I got the kit out and had a furtle.

I wanted to use these 2BA set screws because they have a nice deep hexagon head but as I said the kit was for Unified. However, and here's the clever bit, 2BA is almost exactly a match for 10-32 UNF and I had them. They are a slight interference fit but are fine.

At first I thought I would have to mill a bit off the shoulders to get a good enough hold but when I tried them I have more hold than the bolt diameter so that will be OK. I shall drill the hole for the insert a touch smaller than recommended for steel plate. I think this going to be a good solution..... Then I remembered that the way the anchors work is that the part of the anchor immediately under the shoulder is designed to collapse and expand which is how they grab the thin plate. This means that I shall have more hold in the wood than I thought.
That's it! Itch scratched and I am pleased.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bodger

Post by Bodger »

Stanley, did you ever come across 6 jaw chucks ? https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/tls/ ... 18489.html
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes Bodge, and the good ones are excellent. Getting very close to a super size collet chuck of course. A bit of overkill for a bloke like me though.
On a general point, as I go on with my BCG treatment I find that the side effects are cumulative for the first six weeks. This is to be expected as my immune system is under constant attack from the virus. It concerns the shed because my absence might be for longer than I thought so bear with me. I am looking after myself!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Today felt like the day to get back into the shed. I've done just over an hour and I thought that was pushing things far enough. I could tell I was out of condition so I used my head.

The job is Kev's cannon. The first thing to do was adjust the size of the trunnions to make them a good fit in their bearings. Remember that I have the balance wrong and will want to freeze the trunnions in their housings when I assemble the cannon.

Not long after they were on and I could mark the carriage for the holding down bolts. I had a rethink at this point on the plan to use King Klik inserts and decided against it, I am going to go down the simple route, drill and tap the wood for the bolts. I've done this plenty of times before, it's quick, simple and it works. Why complicate matters!

Under the pillar drill and drilled slightly smaller than I would for tapping metal. 3.9mm.

A bit of gentle tapping.

I'm ready for mounting the cannon but decided to stop, I want to decide how far I go with finishing touches before I make the permanent fix. That's enough for the first day back after a long and stressful lay-off.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Small steps Stanley, good that you are back in the shed though. :good:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Ian, it's progress! (My version of the trig point on Weets!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A deeply uninteresting pic of a cast steel bar that has been through an annealing cycle in the front room stove. Only problem is I didn't get it hot enough and will have to do it again.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

In the shed for an hour. First thing was a clean up all round including vacuuming the carpet!

Then I put the cannon in the lathe and gave it a spin while I cleaned it up a bit. Then a bit of fitting and adjusting. I have put some Loctite in the bolt holes and on the trunnions so I have got rid of the nod caused by the imbalance.

Here's where I got to. I have a couple of embellishments in mind and will think about them but essentially it's finished.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

In the shed at 7AM.

I want to hold some brass hexagon stock so a change of chuck to a three jaw SC. Find a form tool, mount it on centre and away we go!

A bit of careful turning and then finish off with the parting tool.

Here we are, that's what I was after, a tidy little knob for the elevating wedge.
I'm calling that finished Kev, it's sat on the table waiting for you. You know when to catch me.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

That looks great. I'm off on Friday so will drop by after taking 'er indoors to work. Thank you :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

20190322_111228.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

better than it did on my kitchen table. Has Her Majesty passed it?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

She's very impressed, thank you again.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's right, the urge won! It's going to be another cannon, this time with the trunnions in the right place! First job was cut an 8" brass blank. Mrs McMaster is a star....

Then a bit of simple turning.....

I realised that I would be better off with a bigger chuck so I had more hold.... The insulting tape is to protect the finis, It's ready for polishing in that area.

Now is the time for the bore while everything is parallel and concentric. I started with a 1/4" long series, 5" deep was as far as I could get. Plenty of stopping to clear the flutes.

I had already found a long 1/2" drill and sharpened it. You'll see what the 1/2" rod is for in a short while.

Knocking off time and I am ready for the 6" deep 1/2" bore. The pilot hole will make it quick and easy.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Crafts”