Shed Matters 3

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Shed Matters 3

Post by Stanley »

Straight in and bore the cylinder out with a 3/4" blacksmith's drill.

I didn't take many pics, I was too busy. Once the bore was done I could turn the register on the front lid that fits up against the target on the bed. Then Stamp the cylinder with a 'T' to remind me of its orientation. Next make the back lid complete with register. That's what the picture shows. all ready for bolt holes but there is one more thing to do.

Before I mark the bolt holes I need the steam passages drilled out in the cylinder so I can avoid them. So I have set the angle vise up in the mill and found a 3/16" end mill so I can cut a start.

Here's the cylinder with white paint on the sides so I can mark the position of the steam ports and get the cylinder set at the right angle. I knocked off here, let the paint dry properly so I can have a nice sharp and clear mark.
I enjoyed that, good progress!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Well - the export order to Cambridge still hasn't arrived. I'm starting to be concerned. Intercepted by Customs and Excise in Cambridge? :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're joking! And a First Class Stamp as well? Let me know David.
If it doesn't arrive I'll make you two more.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A lot of setting up and checking and the first job was drilling the two steam passages. The cast iron dust on the paper is the tell tale when the drill has broken through.

Nice, we're ready to go forward now but first.....

I reinstated the vice on the VM and trammed it on using a long piece of ground tool steel stock. I wonder what this would cost at today's prices?

Then I went off at a tangent. I am so pissed off with the fact that David's peg hasn't arrived that I made him two more, I was going to make him another one anyway. Actually I made three but lost one when it dropped off the bar when I was sawing it off. I spent 15 minutes on my knees and then just gave up and made another.
Prediction, David will get delivery of the original and I shall find the other peg. This is how Sod's Law works. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Wow ! - if Carlsberg made brass pegs. . . . :smile:

I've mentioned before that everything which involves me turns into a saga. Here we have a 'saga by proxy' :smile:

Nice to have good friends.

PS - Post just been, and still it's no show. . .
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A man with a cleft stick has set off down the country he says he will reach you tonight but I doubt it. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I started today by having a clean up, I hate mucky working! So Mrs Harrison and the bench got attention.

I have to mark for drilling for tapping and one thing I have to do is get the orientation of the parts right. I got this wrong twice this morning. Old age I think. But in the end I got it right. Note the square to make sure the valve face is vertical. The orientation is witnessed by a fine saw mark across the top of the components.

I am using the packings as a template.

Then under the pillar drill and drill tapping size for 7BA.

Next I had to deal with the back lid. I can't clamp these solid but what I can do is tap the first hole and fit a stud, that and the register will make sure I have the drilling right tomorrow. But for now that's closing time.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 30 Jun 2021, 12:16 A man with a cleft stick has set off down the country
It has arrived. many thanks - just the job. I shall see you're not out of pocket.

I like the book as well. Reminded me that I have a couple in the genre which I'd almost forgotten about. I can now resume the long wait for another small piece of metal which I've been awaiting for over two years now. If and when it arrives, I'll tell you about it. As usual, it's always a saga with me. . . :smile:
P1000318.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

" I shall see you're not out of pocket."
No need for that David. Don't forget that after losing Jack I have extra money each week....
Glad the pegs fit, I went for 1/8" holes....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Only an hour in the shed but productive. All 10 holes in the cylinder for studs for lids are now drilled and tapped.

The front lid clamped in place and drilled clearance size for 5BA, 2.6mm.

The back lid treated the same and here you can see the witness marks that had to line up.
Tomorrow I shall be looking at the steam chest and lids.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As promised, this morning was devoted to the steam chest and its lid.

The steam chest was first and this was fine, a good grey iron casting and with the mill and some hand work I got it to size.

Then the lid. As I feared, it was chilled and the mill cutter wouldn't look at it. (I shall have to sharpen it again tomorrow!). I had to put the 4 jaw chuck on, grab the lid as well as possible and cut it with an index tool. Even that bounced off the extreme corners.

I had to revert to the grinder to finish the lid. I have it to thickness and quite a good fit considering. Now I can look at the joys of drilling holes in it!

Last task was to take the 4 jaw off and replace the 3 jaw SC. Tomorrow I'll sharpen the cutter and drill the lid.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

BobH
Regular User

Post by BobH »

I looked at the junction between locomotive and tender on the 3 1/2” gauge Duchess that I am rebuilding. It came in partly dismantled from the workshop of a deceased friend. A search of the box of bits revealed no drag beam or pins. The drawings from Clarksons gave no details of what the loco to tender gap should be so I have judged just over an inch should be about right though not to scale. To couple up the pipes I will need enough space for my fingers. The drawings did show the pins to be 1/4” diameter but a quick check of the fixings showed them to be drilled 3/16”. I decided to take the opportunity and modify them to be as per drawing so have drilled them out to 1/4 inch and made the drag beam accordingly. A trial fit showed that the bracket on the loco didn’t have enough back space for the larger beam end. I removed it and put it on the mill to put a slot behind the pin.
24E22239-F7DB-45E3-A8CD-C0F8CDBBB45B.jpeg
A 2mm deep cut gave enough clearance.
B39A432B-0369-45FC-99F5-30566C8D7EF1.jpeg
I have now refitted it but enlarged the 2 fixing screws from 5BA as they take the load in tension. It isn’t the load that concerns me but the back and forth hammer that the coupling must withstand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Bob, nice clean working! I'm all in favour of that.

This morning was drilling for the studs that hold the steam chest on. As with the cylinders I have used the packings as templates, I have made sure the dimensions are right. The tapping drill for 7BA (No 46) just bounced off the lid, it was too hard. I put the centre drill in and forced a start to each hole and sharpened my drill. Once I had the guide of the centre drill start the No 46 drill did its job but you could tell it was a close run thing!

I didn't take a lot of pics, too busy marking and drilling! Here I'm tapping the holes in the valve face. I shall fit the studs and see how close I was tomorrow. For the moment I have another fish to fry.

I had already drilled and tapped the steam chest 1/4" X 32tpi so while I had the die on the bench I made the short steam pipe and threaded it.

Here we are after two hours. All the holes are drilled and tapped for the studs and you can just see the tip of the steam pipe peeping out at the back. Tomorrow I'll have a trial fit and see if I have got my drilling anywhere near accurate!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This first image is a bit of showing off. I sharpened my HSS cutter and did a test piece to make sure it was on centre. It is and the finish on this test piece is just about perfect. :biggrin2:

Here's the cast for the next couple of days. Basically I want to finish everything at the cylinder end of the engine.

First I addressed the steam chest and drilled it for the valve rod and tapping for the gland, then I made the gland nut. Next I drilled the cylinder for the exhaust pipe, made the pipe and fitted it. I realised that that was two hours absorbing work so I knocked off. I'll carry on with this end tomorrow.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Today was a trial fit up of the cylinder on the bed. Many small problems and fiddly solutions, try it.....

This was closing time. Two hours fitting but everything fits. No need to put the plain lid on at the rear, I know that fits, it's been on already. Tomorrow I'll start populating the cylinder and steam chest with things like pistons and valves.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Today we look at the valve....

I think the pics tell the story. The valve had to be fitted with the driving bar and then marked for orientation. Then it had to be drilled and tapped 5BA. Then the rod had to be thinned down at the end, threaded to fit the driver bar than cut to length and thread the other end 5BA. Than make the clevis. Cut the slot accurately in the horizontal mill. Nest I drilled and tapped the clevis for the rod.

Knocking off time and we need to drill and tap the jaws of the clevis for the pin. That will be the start tomorrow. Enough for today.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I started the day by putting the 4 jaw SC on and making the clevi9s again. This was the main place I went wrong yesterday, didn't bother with the 4 jaw and drilled for the rod crooked. No doubt about it being straight today.

I think you can see this is a bit better.... Now for the piston.

I put the blank for the piston in the chuck, cut it to size, drilled and tapped it for the rod and put a groove in it before parting off.

Here we are at knocking off time. The piston is on the end of the rod (straight) and tomorrow I'll have a look at the crosshead.
I didn't come out of the shed feeling dissatisfied today!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The crosshead needed making a fit in the trunk slide, then it needed drilling and tapping for the piston rod.

Then I had to reverse the crosshead in the chuck to cut off the spigot, then face the end down to the correct length. In case you're wondering why I have my biggest Jacob's chuck in the tailstock. It's also my most accurate and I held the crosshead by its spigot while I grabbed the piece itself with two jaws. Perfect and I sawed the spigot off and faced the end. Then I threaded the other end of the rod 5BA.

Last job was to drill the 5/32" hole for the crosshead pin. That was my only mistake of the morning, I got it too close to the end. That can soon be accommodated when I build it up. On the whole, a good hour then off for the shopping!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This morning I concentrated on fitting the cylinder casting to the bed. I have decided I am not going to paint, fit blued steel or install the drain cocks. I want to make another of these better than this, if you like this is my second practice! The picture illustrates one of these lessons, the nut has to be held on top of the stud in the confined space under the cylinder using a small steel rule. You wouldn't believe how long it took to get these two on.....

That wasn't the end of it! This stud was too near to the casting and so I had to make space for it with a diamond file and lots of patience. Again, I won't say how long this one nut took, you wouldn't believe me.

This was closing time, the cylinder is on the bed, the crosshead has been fitted. Now I must think about the crankshaft, eccentric and flywheel. That will do tomorrow.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Just had a card in the porch from the Post Office. Seems some idiot didn't put enough postage on a letter, and they are holding it to ransom. The fact that there's no name with the address shows it's probably the original brass pegs - and the idiot is me. :laugh5:

Very easy to pay the ransom, online with paypal, and it will be here on Tuesday. I'm glad the mystery is solved. I'm sorted for brass pegs now. . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's ridiculous, it was only a sheet of paper and a peg. I'll bet it was down to the size of the envelope.... That's an expensive peg! Hard luck David....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Today we are doing something completely different, straight turning, so relaxing. I started by putting all my tackle away and then doing the measurements for the shaft and looking for some stock. I found this piece of EN8, just the right stuff. Cut a slug to length with the help of Mrs McMaster, a very helpful lady!

Straight turning with an indexed tool, no need to worry about finish, I'm just muck shifting. My old live centre was getting suspect, it was seized up when I got it and has done a lot of work. I saw this centre for peanuts on Banggood and bought it then realised I had made a mistake, it was Morse taper 2 when I needed MT3. This does the job but has more overhang than it should have because of the adaptor. So I ordered another one the right size.....

Knocking off time. I have my slug and it's hot so laying out the centres and marking the shaft can wait until tomorrow. One last job....

I made a lot of blue chips and so I made a gesture towards keeping them out of the house, I swept the carpet.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The first step was to put a bit of finish on the stock with an HSS tool. Then some careful measuring...

Back in the 3 jaw and scribe the locations of the pin, the cheeks of the crankshaft and the two ends.

I scribed a pitch circle on the end and marked for my turning centre for the crank pin and then drilled a centre by hand.

My last move was to put the 4 jaw independent on and use the offset centre to set the stock ready for turning the crank pin tomorrow morning. Slow steady work with frequent checks.... I'm happy.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Did I read on here about Bahco adjustable spanners? I have a 10in one in my toolbox, it's always been very reliable and feels 'robust'. It wasn't new when I got it, probably inherited from my father, it says Made in Sweden on it.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes Kev. It will never let you down and it's one of the old ones actually made in Sweden from what many believed to be the best basic steel in the world. Made in Spain now and still good quality but not like the old ones to my mind.

I made a mistake the other day and bought a 4" Bahco spanner when I already had one, the top one is the first spanner I ever bought in about 1947 I think. I remember it cost me 3/6. The new one cost about £15 I think. The 10" ones are £26 at Screwfix.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Crafts”