Shed Matters 3

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Shed Matters 3

Post by Stanley »

This was the problem this morning. The castings aren't dead accurate and you always have to strike a compromise when machining them. The hole in the target end of the bed is a case in point and made even more difficult because I have no way of boring it accurately and had to cut it by hand by filing and using an air drive grinder with a small stone on. I got it very close and then moved on to fitting the cylinder and the front lid.

Here's where I finished up. The eagle eyed will notice that I am not going down Bob's rote of making it opposite hand. The reason is that it's a better fit on the same hand as the other. It's just how the castings worked out.....

This gives an idea of what I've done apart from the target end. I've made the front lid which has to fit both the bed and the cylinder. It has the PCD for the studs and the lid is drilled for the rod and the gland. I think it will be OK.... :biggrin2:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
BobH
Regular User

Post by BobH »

Coming along nicely, Stanley. As you say it is better to go with the flow rather than fight it. Perhaps make a pair another time😎
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Bob! Yes you're right, sometimes the castings dictate how you use them. Stuart castings don't give you any extra meat which is another problem.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This morning was work on the back lid, the steam chest and the steam chest lid. All done in the lathe. Remember that if you're facing parts, holding square items in a three jaw chuck is no bar to accurate facing and thicknessing.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Into the mill this morning and in the hour available I worked on the steam chest and its lid.

Closing time. Dimensionally these parts are finished. Now for a bit of thought where to go next!
A good hour well spent!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I decided to go for drilling and tapping holes in me castings! I started with the front lid because that's more complicated and it took me an hour and a half to get to the second image. I knocked off then as the next stage is just as complicated. Quiet progress and no mistakes. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The aim this morning was a dry fit of the cylinder to the bed with both lids fitted. My main concern was to fit the cylinder with it's valve face perpendicular. I went to a lot of trouble setting up for marking for the studs that hold the assembly to the bed. :biggrin2:

More careful drilling and tapping for 4BA studs.

Knocking off time and you are allowed to hoot with laughter. How the hell did this happen? It's exactly the same as the last one. It won't affect the running but it will not look as it should do!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Knocking off time and you are allowed to hoot with laughter. How the hell did this happen? It's exactly the same as the last one. It won't affect the running but it will not look as it should do!

Claim its a design modification to improve the valve drainage. :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Watch this space Ken. I have a cunning plan.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No shed, eyes packed up on me. I shall return...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No problems with eyes in the shed. My first job was the cunning plan I promised Ken. I have filed the holes in the target end into slots to allow the cylinder to be rotated. The nuts will cover the extensions....

Next job was to address the crankshaft bearings. First job was to saw the stock in two.

Here we are at closing time, ready to make the bearings tomorrow. A good hour and a half with no problems.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I started the day by sharpening two cutters. My usual 3/4" shank three flute cutter and a 16mm cutter which is exactly the size for cutting a 5/6"slot slightly over size for fitting. One small problem I haven't got an adaptor for the Clarkson T&C grinder so I had to mount the cutter in the lathe and reduce the shank slightly with a carbide cutter. All this takes time but I eventually got into cutting in the VM.

An hour and a half of measuring and careful milling.

At closing time I have my first rough fit of the bottom brasses. I can refine them tomorrow.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Only an hour today. I have to do early doors shop. I concentrated on one thing, the final fit of the bottom brass in the crankshaft bearing. Note that I did it all by hand, took longer but less chance of a mistake.

Here's where I was at closing time.... The bottom brasses are fitted and have their witness marks.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

First job was to check how well the crankshaft sits in between the bearings. It's perfect so we can get on with the top brasses.

Then some careful milling to get our brasses to size, tidy and square.

This is progress, ready to measure and drill for the holding down studs.

This is knocking off time. The brasses aren't finished but they are now sized, squared and measured, marked and drilled for the holding down studs. They also have their witness marks. Good progress and 90 minutes well spent.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Steadily forward with fitting the crankshaft bearing brasses. I've drilled the oil holes in the top brasses and drilled tapping size for the 4BA studs that hold the bearings down.

Here's where I stopped after an hour and a half. The caps have been drilled 4mm clearance for the studs. When I had my first trial fit I found the studs were short of thread so I had to pull back and modify all 4 studs. I have fitted the studs with Loctite and will finish the fitting of the bearings tomorrow. No rush, quietly and carefully with no mistakes.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I went in the shed with work on the bearings in mind but on reflection realised that before I did that I needed to Drill and tap for the fixing of the bed on the box base, the drilling of the holes in the hold-down lugs in the box base and painting the major castings before any more fitting.

I think the pictures tell the story. Two hours careful work and once more, no cock-ups! That makes it a good day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The paint has dried so the first task was to get the castings ready for further progress, fit the brasses and get ready for boring. Note That I have the oak out and marked for the base. It's ready for cutting to size and the moulding cut into the edges as soon as we have some dry weather and I can work in the yard as the router isn't shed friendly! Too much mess and dust.

After a lot of careful measuring and a dodgy set up I was ready for boring the bearings 1/2" to suit the crankshaft. High risk because nothing is perfectly square, we are talking about castings that have had the minimum of machining.

We seem to have got the bore right, it's square with the cylinder and is a nice tight fit when the brasses are tightened down so a bit of lubrication and run the bearings in with the drill. A lovely fit, bordering on snug but they will soon loosen up.

Closing time. It's looking like an engine and we can move on to the cylinder bore and valve now. Nice progress and no mistakes. I like mornings like this!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was dry and bright when I rose from second sleep so I took my chance, got set up in the yard and cut the plinth out for this engine. Then I moulded the edges, sanded it down and gave it a good coat of linseed oil and left it to soak in. Always a good job to get done!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Showing off really, just a sneak preview of the bed on its plinth.

The same image but now I have the bed screwed down to a temporary bed as this makes it better to work on in the fitting that's to come.

I started that process of fitting by making the gland for the piston rod in the front lid of the cylinder. Funny little things to make, such an odd shape, so they take a bit longer, lots of little operations. No rush, I quietly worked through to the point where I am ready to drill and tap the lid for the gland studs tomorrow. Nice quiet morning with good progress.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Two hours almost in the shed and this was closing time. The gland is fitted and has the bolts to tighten it down. The piston rod lines up with the lid and the gland and I am ready to make the piston. I have found a brass end that will make the piston, I shall do it my way with soft packing instead of piston rings in a cast iron cylinder. This will last much longer and never seize in the bore if water is left in there.
I had some other matters to attend to as well, I think about an hour was spent on actual fitting.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Only an hour in the shed and them shopping. One job done carefully and accurately.... Making a piston rod two and twenty nine thirty seconds long with 3/8" of 2BA thread at each end. And yes, I agree, what a stupid dimension.....
Never mind it's made and the threads checked with a 2BA nut..... I can crack on with the piston tomorrow. A nice easy job for a change!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's piston day. Just quiet turning and fitting only interrupted by the fact I had a chipped parting off tool and had to install a new tip. I am not using the cast iron piston rings. I have cut a nice deep groove and will fill it with soft packing.

Knocking off time, the piston and rod are fitted to the cylinder and I have adjusted the back lid to make sure it's a good easy fit. No gaskets in yet. Next job is to fit the steam chest and lid and the valve. That will do for tomorrow.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Before I get on to the steam chest I have to strip the cylinder down so I took this chance to refine the finish and fit of the lids.

I did the same for the steam chest lid before I mark it and use it as a template. I used a fly cutter for the best finish.

One of the faults of this Stuart design is that their design for the exhaust being mounted on a flange means that there isn't room around it for proper drilling and tapping of the studs that hold the steam chest. So I am tapping the exhaust passage 5/16" 26tpi and will screw the exhaust pipe directly into the castings.

Just like that!

Closing time. Tidy cylinder lids, steam chest lid drilled and that slattern transferred to the cylinder. Tomorrow I shall tap those holes Transfer the pattern to the steam chest casting and modify the stem entry to the same pattern as the exhaust. I think we've done good work. Quiet progress. (Note the staggered drilling of the lid and cylinder. This means the stud next to the exhaust has a full hold in the casting.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Rather than get straight into drilling for the attachment studs that will fasten the steam chest and lid to the cylinder I decided to finish all the other work on the steam chest.

I made the steam pipe and fitted it and here I am drilling the steam chest for the rod and gland.

This was knocking off time, the steam chest is nearer to fitting, there are fitting witness marks on the chest and the lid. I shall have a think and decide where to go now. I think it will be to drill and tap for the studs that fit the steam chest and lid to the cylinder. Quiet careful work and no mistakes.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A short morning as I have to get ready for a doctor's appointment. First job was to tap the holes in the cylinder and I did this under the pillar drill to make sure I got them vertical.

Knocking off time. The studs match the steam chest drillings and the lid has been drilled to clearance size. The steam chest is ready for fitting when I get to that stage.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Crafts”