A Stitch in Time

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

A Stitch in Time

Post by PanBiker »

Sally has just taken delivery of this:

It's a book that has been compiled to document the journey of the volunteers who made up the Yorkshire Scrubbers who stepped up to manufacture PPE for the NHS when the government could not meet demand during th Covid pandemic.

The group was formed in early 2020 by a couple of ladies over in Leeds (Marie Wepener and Mags Shaw). They recognised the urgent need for action and decided to do something about it. They put up a Facebook page appealing for volunteers and got them in shed loads! Sally saw the group along with our friend Carolyn in Barlick and they geared up for job in hand with a vengeance.

The group set up an office in one of the ladies front rooms and contacted Leeds RUFC who volunteered their premises for use as a distribution hub to the various hospitals throughout Yorkshire. Area coordinators were set up to handle the needs and supplies for each hospital trust. An appeal was launched for funds to purchase material suitable for the job in hand. All of these roles were done on a voluntary basis.

I know that Sally used her own stock of cotton for her production but later into the project we did get fabric which was distributed from the central hub. I remember driving over to Burnley and meeting someone in a car park to pick up some fabric.

The group raised £50,000 in donations which allowed them to produce and distribute 22,585 sets of surgical scrubs including bespoke clerical and maternity gowns. 50,000 accessories were produced, these were the laundry bags, ear protectors and surgical hats. Group membership reached 3500 volunteers who were involved in the project one way or the other.

All the various items were produced to standard patterns which were distributed to the sewers, who modified them to produce different sizes for NHS staff. Some pretty zany patterns came out of the project and were eagerly accepted by nurses, consultants and surgeons alike. I know Sally produced some using "My Little Pony", "Minions" and I think some ""Star Wars" cotton print she had as well as the plain blues, greens and purples.

Sally's totals were 53 full sets of scrubs, 56 surgical hats, 7 laundry bags and as sideline over 150 masks.

Volunteers were also asked to produce a standard sized embroidered or decorated panel. The book cover features the result which was originally intended to be a memory quilt. 400 patches were received including the contributions from Sally and Carolyn so the quilt turned into a wall hanging which is now displayed in the Yorkshire History Museum

This is the card included with the delivery of the book.

Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: A Stitch in Time

Post by Stanley »

Wonderful achievement!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

The book front only shows half of the finished wall hanging the other half is displayed on the back. Volunteers were encouraged to contribute photo's to the group and memories of the work they did. All are included in the book as are mentions for the folk that stepped up to organise procurement of materials and distribution networks for the finished articles. The book is a hard back memento and runs to 125 pages covering contributions from the volunteers. Sally has a picture of herself modelling a set of scrubs she produced along with the patch she produced for the wall hanging and her comment.

"When lockdown was looming I bought loads of fabric to stock up - but I couldn't sew any of it. I heard about the need for scrubs and that was it. I was on it! It was great to use my skills to help people to take control of a seemingly out of control situation"

:smile:
Ian
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

That is a lovely recognition and thank-you to everyone. 😊
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)

Return to “Sewing”