Watch Fob Sovereign Cases.

hartley353

Watch Fob Sovereign Cases.

Post by hartley353 »

Recently acquired and restored sovereign cases, the gold one is for half sovereign's, and the silver one for full coins, around thirty mm in diameter. from a time when coins had value.
DSC_0041.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tripps
VIP Member

Re: Watch Fob Sovereign Cases.

Post by Tripps »

Can you give an idea of what restoration would involve? These look like an interesting item to collect, and are rarely mentioned on the antique programmes on TV. I've seen plenty of sovereign cases, but never the watch fob version. Roughly what kind of money should we be expecting to pay for such an item here?
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PostmanPete
Regular User

Post by PostmanPete »

hartley353 wrote:Recently acquired and restored sovereign cases, the gold one is for half sovereign's, and the silver one for full coins, around thirty mm in diameter. from a time when coins had value.
DSC_0041.JPG

I was told by my Mother that I was given one of the silver ones as a teething ring when I was a baby...!
"Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946)
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Tripps wrote:Can you give an idea of what restoration would involve? These look like an interesting item to collect, and are rarely mentioned on the antique programmes on TV. I've seen plenty of sovereign cases, but never the watch fob version. Roughly what kind of money should we be expecting to pay for such an item here?
The gold one cost £15.00, the silver one £7.50. As to restoration the gold one required only a few dings pressed out and a polish. The silver one had to be dismantled the spring derusted and straightened, the release catch had been cut off with pliers and required the cut end to be squared off a tiny hole drilled down its centre then a steel post fitted into it. Over this post I fitted a brass sleeve and topped it with a pearl button. to match the repair to the case I will use a resilvering solution on the brass.
Last edited by hartley353 on 31 Oct 2013, 10:06, edited 2 times in total.
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

PostmanPete wrote:
hartley353 wrote:Recently acquired and restored sovereign cases, the gold one is for half sovereign's, and the silver one for full coins, around thirty mm in diameter. from a time when coins had value.
DSC_0041.JPG

I was told by my Mother that I was given one of the silver ones as a teething ring when I was a baby...!
That comes close to being born with a silver spoon in your mouth.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

"The gold one cost £15.00, the silver one £7.50"

You seem to have the Midas touch. :smile: Did the sellers know what they were selling or were they just too dirty? Ive looked on fleabay, and a silver went for £75, and a 9ct gold one went for £125 so you have done very well.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Sometimes i get lucky, both of these were mislisted they were amongst other objects I was searching, and I was the second and last bidder on both. Looking tonight they were many up for sale some quite cheap. This evening I was looking through silver card cases and found a silver propelling pencil with 19 mins to go, and got it for £23.There is a lot of junk on ebay but if you have the patience to wade through it there are some treasures. In the past I have made some bad buys I just stuff them in a drawer for future attention. The Mrs thinks I have some magpie genes, i'm presently working on a music box, her first words were it looks like a coffin.
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

I put a silver one on watch last evening it went for £25.00 today, but needed a bit of panel beating.

Return to “Antiques”