Bugs in the Archive

Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Bugs in the Archive

Post by Doc »

I've come across a few bugs in the archive which I will address ASAP

The Search Facility is not working - I will upgrade this to a Google site search
Login - It Wont Work - I will disable this link

No Doubt there will be others that I haven't found yet.

If anyone finds any more bugs, then please reply to this topic with the details and I'll try and sort them.
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Chief Stoker - Royal Navy (Retired)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Bugs in the Archive

Post by PanBiker »

Hi Doc, first of all thanks for all the hard work you have done and are continuing to do. I like the look of the new site and can instantly see the added functionality, (quantum leap comes to mind), well done.

I know that you will have a lot on your plate but I have noticed the archived data finishes on the 5th Jan. Will there be any chance of accessing any slightly later data? I would like to copy some historical research from the old Barlick War Memorial Group thread over to the new site to retain some continuity if possible. I have all my notes but would rather avoid having to type it all up again.
Ian
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

Ian

I was going to take a snapshot of the site this Wednesday 25/01/2012, but because of the server crash it won't let me, I had to revert to the snapshot taken on the 5th of January, so any information posted on the old site since then has been temporaily lost until I can play about with one of the SQL backup files when hopefully I will be able to extracted the missing postings.

Sorry for the inconvienience
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

No problem Doc, if you can get at it sometime it would make the information in the new topic flow better. I'll hang back posting anything else in there for a bit. I don't suppose there is anyway of inserting a post before the last post in the thread?
Ian
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

panbiker wrote:No problem Doc, if you can get at it sometime it would make the information in the new topic flow better. I'll hang back posting anything else in there for a bit. I don't suppose there is anyway of inserting a post before the last post in the thread?
I don't know, looks like I'll be finding out soon enough
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I think I have figured a way round it doc without a lot of bother. I could make a post in the thread topic to act as "white space" and edit it up afterwards. That way I could continue adding my research from where I am up to now and insert the earlier stuff if you can recover with a later SQL index point.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

With the tubo search not working, I tried a manual search through the topics to find a particular thread "Casualties of War". Invariably the site indexing seems to break down if you try to dig too deep. I tried with a number of my own topics and it seems to be fairly consistent. The breakdown tends to leave you on a 404 error page as a guest member on the new site.
Ian
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

Acknowledged Ian,

I'm hoping once I integrate a Google Site search in place of the Front Page Search in the archive that the problem will be overcome, because the site was only opened today, the search engines haven't had time to index the new site yet, so even if I implemented it now the search engines wouldn't have anything to show.

I'll keep am eye on it and then repost when its viable.
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Doc, I assume that if you can eventualy rejig the archive site with a later SQL index point to get the data nearer to the 21st Jan the bots will only have to re-index the extra data they find won't they?

I hope that's the case anyway.
Ian
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

Yes :grin:
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I have tried to get into the Archive a couple of times recently but I just get a message saying I'm not allowed access. Is it just me or is it the same for everyone?
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Same for me Wendy.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Archive is still in limbo. Best way to get into subjects if they exist is via Google using the keyword archiveoneguyfrombarlick as a filter. It makes the search site specific and usually finds something.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

When is the changeover from Doc to Pluggy taking place?
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Pluggy is ready but Doc has so much on his plate at the moment that it's best to let him get on with more important matters. It will happen and I have little doubt that when it does Pluggy will find a way round the problem of re-posting the archive. It still exists! So the short answer Moh is a bit more patience..... Meanwhile, subs sent in to the site go straight to Pluggy and as it's a year since we started the new platform all contributions gratefully received. Usual route through the Paypal facility on the portal page.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “The Old OGFB Archive Discussions”