Searching the Archive

Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Searching the Archive

Post by Doc »

By now I would have expected the search engines to have indexed the old ogfb archive but todate there doesn't seem to be any activity by the bots in this section.

Over the next couple of days I will attempt to get a usable search facility up and running, submitting the url to the search engines manually etc. One way or another we need this facility and quick, to stop visitors receiving the page not found error message.

Watch this space.
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Chief Stoker - Royal Navy (Retired)
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Searching the Archive

Post by Tizer »

Thanks for the update Doc. It's always frustrating waiting for search engines to `find' a site but when they find the Mk.1 OGFB again it will be a big boost to Mk.2 by allowing us to refer back in detail to the fantastic archive of information.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Echo that Tizer, I am waiting to get at a particular topic that I know has some information about one of the casualties that is missing from our war memorial. Very frustrating as just a few weeks ago the Turbo Search would have turned it up in just a few seconds. I can find it with a Google search but it leads to a 404 error at the moment.
Ian
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

I am managing to find some old forum posts manually , but the search box on MK2 isnt finding stuff within MK1 , pleased to know Doc is on the case.
evnz

Post by evnz »

Is there going to be any development on the old archives? I am Bob Kings grandson and I am wanting to show my father (his son) all of Bobs old posts in the archive but any kind of search of his username etc just brings up useless error messages. Does anyone know when it will be sorted?
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Hello, I can't answer your exact questions and I don't know how you would access the posts direct through the old site...but put this string into Google and you will at least have a way of getting at Hatepe's posts:

Hatepe (R.I.P.) site:http://archive.oneguyfrombarlick.co.uk

This prompts Google to search only in the domain of the old site (archive.oneguyfrombarlick.co.uk) and find `Hatepe (R.I.P.)'. The first page of results is not so good because it has member list pages which are useful, but look further down that page and then go onto the next and later pages and you will find relevant posts, sometimes a thread started by Hatepe and sometimes a post within a thread (where you need to scroll down the page). This is nowhere near as useful as being able to bring up pages of the posts themselves direct from a search but it might help.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Evan mailed me and I found some stuff I had archived on my hard disk so I sent him that as well as explaining the situation. Word from Doc on progress would be nice. Earth to Doc?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I spoke to Doc yesterday about the reposts. He is all in favour but tells me he is still carrying on fighting to retrieve the complete archive. His problem is the size of it and the fact the language is incompatible with the new platform. He's working an a way to automate the process of conversion. We need to remember the work he still puts in.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “The Old OGFB Archive Discussions”