Pte Greenwood James Standing

Chris Foster

Pte Greenwood James Standing

Post by Chris Foster »

Hello,
I'm hoping that someone can help with my query.
I'm enquiring about if there are any relatives of Pte Greenwood James Standing...
Link https://cpgw.org.uk/soldier-records/gre ... -standing/
I've recently had someone correspond with me who as in their possession an item pertaining to Pte Standing, that he would like to see returned to his family.
Does anyone know if the Standings, or relatives still live in or around Barlick ?
Any information would be greatly appreciated
Regards
Chris
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Pte Greenwood James Standing

Post by Wendyf »

Hello Chris, we had a question a few years back about the Standing family from someone doing family history research. It might be worth contacting the lady who posted this:-

viewtopic.php?f=362&t=14746
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Hi Chris and welcome to the site. I have checked the electoral register for current Standing family members. There are none registered in Barnoldswick or Earby. On a wider search there are Standing family members in Colne and Nelson who may or may not be related. Of course he may have had sisters who's names will have changed if they married. There may be further clues on the 1911 census. I know some of our keen genealogy members may comment on this. His parents certainly were in Barlick at the time.

I know also that he is not commemorated on any CWG or family plot in either the cemetery or churchyard at Gill Church. I distribute remembrance crosses each year down at Gill and maintain a list of all those that I visit and he is not on there. Many are mentioned on family plots although they are buried in foreign fields which is the case for Greenwood. Of course I may not have found such a plot yet. I tend to loose some each year and gain the odd new ones to my list. It all depends how the leaves fall particularly in the Churchyard.

Check the thread to see if or genealogist turn anything up on the census. You may get more information if you put your appeal out on one of the Colne or Nelson Facebook sites, particularly any that cover the local history etc.

I see Wendy is already on the case while I was posting. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Welcome Chris. Here's what I can offer. Joe Standing was a printer with a business at Butts Top. He is mentioned as selling stationery to the Calf Hall Shed Company in 1906 and Harold Duxbury says he had one of the first cars in Barlick (and wore his cap back to front when driving it.). I seem to remember a Molly Standing having a milliner's shop in the town at about the same time.
Sorry I haven't more.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Chris Foster

Post by Chris Foster »

Sorry for the long delay in responding. Thank you all for your input, I shall follow Wendy's lead and see if anything turns up! I
Kind Regards
Chris

Return to “Looking For Someone”