My Harrison Roots

triciacockshott

Re: My Harrison Roots

Post by triciacockshott »

Hi I am just trying to take my family tree back even further, I have got to George Harrison 1641-1716 married Isobell Preston , I think i have this right that he is the father of Stephen Harrison 1685-1747. Can anyone help?
I am the daughter of Harrison Carradice, my Great Grandmas was Bridgit Harrison who married John Carradice.
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

That is as far as I can get in my hubby's tree - trouble is most of the church records were not kept during the civil war. Many people guess but that is not right.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Welcome to the site Tricia. Keep digging and talking to us. It's amazing how eventually someone clocks the discussion and comes up with something new.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Harrisa

Post by Harrisa »

Hi everyone. I am new to this site having just found it. My name is Ann Harrison. I am a descendant of Richard Harrison who was born in/near Tosside in/near 1824 and emigrated to Canada. I will be travelling to the are in April and would love some hints or ideas on where to pick up info on family lineage. Thanks.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Welcome to the site Harrisa, there is a lot of Harrison information on here so it's worth using the search button! Local libraries are good places to start.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Look in the masthead Harrisa, thre's a box labelled search. If you put Harrison in there you'll have enough to keep you going for a while. I'll bump the Harrison Index entries for you to start on. Look for the topic in active topics.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Stanley wrote: 01 Mar 2014, 05:21 In the early 1960s Harrison Brothers split up when Jack took his money out and invested it in the dairy at Accrington when he and others formed a partnership and bought it. Very soon sold to Associated Dairies. Billy carried on with one wagon on general haulage and I drove it for him for about four years but then got fed up with the tramp and went back to the dairy. Billy had one son, John and I can't remember Jack and his wife having any kids. Corrine(?) taught at Springfield School Earby for a long time. I think Billy died in the late 1960s, I don't know about Jack.

Billy and son John at Morecambe in 1961. (click for full size)
Hi - I've just discovered this forum while searching for news of relatives (& having time on my hands at the moment due to Covid!). Corinne (nee Spencer) was my cousin. She was born in Lane Bottom, Walsden (nr Todmorden). I stayed with Jack and Corinne on many occasions at their home in Elslack and have some very happy memories of that. You are correct in saying that Jack and Corinne did not have any children, and also (another post) that Jack was 'albino' - or at least had an exceptionally fair complexion. Sadly, they subsequently divorced, in the 1970's from recollection. Corinne subsequently moved to Fence (nr Higham) and remarried. As an interesting 'aside', Jack and Corinne were very friendly with Professor Dan Gill who was a larger than life geologist with a distinguished career in the Himalayas & elsewhere. He also used to stay with them in Elslack, but our paths never crossed and I just knew him from conversations with Jack and Corinne as 'the professor'. Some years later, while studying for a geology degree, I discovered by chance that the professor that I was studying under was Jack and Corinne's 'professor'! I remember the real welcome that the Gill family subsequently gave me. I don't know if Corinne is still alive or not. She was quite a bit older than me, and I've spent most of my life overseas and have lost touch.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Welcome to the site Chris. Thanks for info about Corrine.
Jack as definitely albino, had red eyes and superb night vision but could hardly see during the day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

JKG

Post by JKG »

ChrisK wrote: 15 Jul 2020, 19:21
Stanley wrote: 01 Mar 2014, 05:21 In the early 1960s Harrison Brothers split up when Jack took his money out and invested it in the dairy at Accrington when he and others formed a partnership and bought it. Very soon sold to Associated Dairies. Billy carried on with one wagon on general haulage and I drove it for him for about four years but then got fed up with the tramp and went back to the dairy. Billy had one son, John and I can't remember Jack and his wife having any kids. Corrine(?) taught at Springfield School Earby for a long time. I think Billy died in the late 1960s, I don't know about Jack.

Billy and son John at Morecambe in 1961. (click for full size)
Hi - I've just discovered this forum while searching for news of relatives (& having time on my hands at the moment due to Covid!). Corinne (nee Spencer) was my cousin. She was born in Lane Bottom, Walsden (nr Todmorden). I stayed with Jack and Corinne on many occasions at their home in Elslack and have some very happy memories of that. You are correct in saying that Jack and Corinne did not have any children, and also (another post) that Jack was 'albino' - or at least had an exceptionally fair complexion. Sadly, they subsequently divorced, in the 1970's from recollection. Corinne subsequently moved to Fence (nr Higham) and remarried. As an interesting 'aside', Jack and Corinne were very friendly with Professor Dan Gill who was a larger than life geologist with a distinguished career in the Himalayas & elsewhere. He also used to stay with them in Elslack, but our paths never crossed and I just knew him from conversations with Jack and Corinne as 'the professor'. Some years later, while studying for a geology degree, I discovered by chance that the professor that I was studying under was Jack and Corinne's 'professor'! I remember the real welcome that the Gill family subsequently gave me. I don't know if Corinne is still alive or not. She was quite a bit older than me, and I've spent most of my life overseas and have lost touch.

Hi I'm Julie
I grew up at Smearber Farm My Maternal Grandma was Martha, My parents moved to the farm in 1960 when Agnes and Dick who were brother and sister retired to Early. I remember Uncle Dick had an arm amputated I believe in the war, Unfortunatly I don't know any more but would be really interested to find out more. I know he made adaptations around the farm so that he could continue to do the farm work.
I remenber Jack and Corrine, I beleive they had a baby who died, she is buried in Elslack and Broughton Graveyard. They divorced and Jack remarried a Scottish lady from Perth called Dorothy. They lived at Fenton Villa for a good few years. Following Dorothy's death Jack continued to live there alone supported by freinds and my mum. His health deteriorated and he died in Thornton Hill Nursing home maybe 10 years ago i'm not sure.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for adding that Julie. Was Martha a Harrison?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

JKG

Post by JKG »

Yes She was Martha Ann Harrison the youngest Had older brother Richard, and Sister Agnes who farmed there till their retiement when my parents took over the farm
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Julie....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Looking For Someone”