A Walk for Audrey

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

A Walk for Audrey

Post by PanBiker »

This years annual event organised by Audreys daughters Kirsty and Carly and friends was "A Walk for Audrey".

This took place yesterday and was a 16 mile walk pretty much taking in the boundaries around the town. It was a perfect day for it, plenty warm enough under a bright but cloudy sky with a slight breeze. Not in full sun but that was a bonus and welcomed on the day.

The route started at Victory Park and went via Greenberfield Lane onto the canal at the locks down the tow path past the turnover bridge then the footpath up behind Rollls at Gill Brow. Over the road and up through Gill churchyard and then Gill Lane over to Rainhall, then down Rainhall Crescent to Long Ing to pick up the canal again and on to Park Bridge. Up onto Kelbrook Road here and into the fields to climb up the hillside skirting Hodge Lane up to the top of Tubber. Over the road here onto Lister Well Lane for the full length to join Gisburn track at the top, right here and onward to Weets House where the first refreshment station and lunch stop was sited. The walk continued down Gisburn track to cross Brogden Lane and onto Coalpit Lane then back in the fields through the solar panel farm to join Back Lane above Gisburn, on to the end and then back through the fields past Bomber Plantation and on to Bracewell. There was another pit stop point here. Last leg was back into the fields and up to Stock hamlet then down over the beck to Gilbeber, on to the gated stock moving bridge and back to Victory Park via Broad Ing bridge.

The route had been signposted by the local fell runners with marker flags and directional signs, warning signs were put out for any crossings of main roads, only three of these required, Skipton Road at Gill, top of Tubber, and in Bracewell village. Carly and her friend Sophie walked as back marker sweepers and retrieved the signs and marker flags handing them over to the road marshalls at various points around the route. I marshalled at the top of Tubber, then moved onto the junction of Lister Well with Gisburn Track, the down on to Brogden Lane at the junction with Stocks Lane and Coalpit, finally back to Bracewell relieving the sweepers of the signs and marker flags. Once back at Victory Park I walked back to meet Carly and get the remainder of the signage from the last leg.

A lot of the refreshments were provided by our local Coop store, they are one of our major local sponsors. They provided all the water, biscuits and fresh oranges for the refreshment stations which were gratefully received.

It was smashing day with around 100 walkers taking part, only one youngster dropped out and was collected at the Weets House stop by a relative. Sally and our daughter Carla completed the route. Sponsorship collected will be split between Bosom Friends and Pendleside Hospice, we won't have the totals for while yet but I reckon it will be a very welcome amount once the figures are in. I know Sally set of with £100 in sponsorship, there is a Just Giving site set up and many have used this for their method of collecting sponsorship.

I will post the totals in here when known and put a few photo's up in due course.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: A Walk for Audrey

Post by Wendyf »

Well done to all concerned! You had the perfect day for it.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Assembled walkers and multiple canine friends ready for the off at Victory Park.

Marshalling at Bracewell, Sally and Carla ready for the last leg of the walk back to the park via Stock.

Lots more images here on the Bosom Friends website:

Photo Album - A Walk for Audrey
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice pics Ian......
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Amazing really. So many people willing to put themselves out for good causes. I used to consider anything above 10 miles a bit of an achievement, 16 miles is fantastic especially since quite a number are at the 'mature' end. Well done everyone.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Copied this from the Facebook announcement put up by Audrey's daughter Kirsty.

And so, the total amount raised by the Everybody Loves Audrey event of 2018 is £2610 - to be split equally between Barnoldswick and Earby Bosom Friends and Pendleside Hospice. Thank you for each and every donation - your endless support really does mean the world 🌏

On May 12th 2018 we all gathered to Walk Together, for Audrey - but more than for Audrey, it was for everyone.
For us. For you. For those who have touched you, and will never be forgotten.
For those who have been supported by Barnoldswick and Earby Bosom Friends, and for those helped and cared for at Pendleside Hospice, as we were - and will be eternally grateful for.

We really do live in a wonderful place, with lovely people and a local charity to be proud of.

Thank you again to all of the teams and individuals who helped to make the day a success - see our special mentions in the event page 💙

We are overwhelmed with everyone’s kindness and generosity, as always.

Here’s to 2019 💛

#wereallyareprettyfabulous
#everybodylovesaudrey

All I do, I do #foraudrey 💎

Thank you again, Kirsty xx

:mexwave:
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

My grandparents may have been sat on that wall at Bracewell, waving you on in spirit. In the pic with Sally and Carla, they buried to the left in the photo, not far in from the wall.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “BE Bosom Friends”