BE Bosom Friends Centre - 2, Green Street

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

BE Bosom Friends Centre - 2, Green Street

Post by PanBiker »

Following years of fund raising by the group and a generous legacy left by a former member and supporter (Brian Yardley). We managed to secure a part of the Green Street WMC comprising of the former tap room, corridor and toilet downstairs and all of the upstairs rooms, the largest room formerly housed the snooker and pool tables and large screen TV. Upstairs also has four office sized rooms and additional storage spaces. The entire block immediately prior to the establishment of the WMC used to be a shop and a number of cottages which were remodelled into a single property.

Our purchase of part of the building had multiple bonuses. It gave the group premises to develop into a centre for our role as a cancer support group and allowed the club to be refurbished and continue to trade as it is today. It has also benefited other groups who can use the centre. Two of the upstairs former offices have been refurbished and are occupied by two trained operatives who offer complimentary therapies.

The original layout of the WMC had a vestibule at the front with an entrance to the left to one bar and seating area, the other to the right gave access to the tap room and bar, which was originally linked to the other. At the back of the tap room was the entrance through to the main bar and seating area in the largest ground floor room. From the tap room, the corridor gave access to the male toilets and stairs up to the games and TV room and further over the upstairs corridor, offices and committee room.

During rework of the building our half of the building was sealed from the remaining WMC, the entrance from the vestibule was bricked up as was the through route to the original main bar. The corridor leading to the toilet had an emergency fire door exit out onto the street. That has now become our main entrance to our half of the building.

No 2 Green Street.

Entrance corridor, reworked toilet with full disabled facilities through the door on the right.

Left at the end of the corridor and you can see that the former tap room bar has been converted to our new downstairs kitchen and serving bar. We have the usual collections of cupboards and drawers, a built in fridge, oven, hob and extractor, sink and our latest addition for the downstairs kitchen, an instant heat counter top boiler. We retained the original bars top ceiling feature but have added LED downlights for the worktops.

The floor in the old tap room sloped two ways, away from the corridor and also slightly down from the bar area. We had the floor levelled during the refurbishment. A bit of a dark image (flash didn't fire) but this is looking from the entrance into the room.

Again here from the kitchen side.

Better image here with the light behind looking back up to the kitchen.

We completed all the bottom floor first so that we could start to put the centre into use for the support group and other users. We recognised that in order to support everyone who may use the building that the upstairs would no be accessible to anyone unable to negotiate the stairs. We looked at options for installing a lift but without major reworking of the building on both floors this was not a realistic option both on the practicality for the amount of need and the cost.

We decided that a stair lift would be the answer and we launched an appeal for funding help. We had not been running the appeal very long when we received a call from Acorn Lifts who are based in Colne, they asked if they could come along and have a look at our problem. Access was given and one of the engineers came and measured up. He then announced that if we were in agreement Acorn would install a lift free of charge! In addition they would maintain it on an annual schedule. The engineer already had the complete kit in his van and installed it in a couple of hours. All the company wanted in return was a bit of publicity which of course we agreed to and actioned via our website, social media and a press release to the local papers. We don't own it but can use it as long as we are in the building, this was a fantastic donation that effectively allowed us to plan phase two and development of the upper floor.

Back out into the corridor and the stairs are straight ahead, the stairs have a right hand turn half way up. Observant folk will have seen the bottom of the stair lift track on the corridor picture. The lift can be manually or remotely controlled from the top or bottom, we tend to park it at the top.

The main upstairs room used to house a full size snooker table, a pool table and a 50" corner console projection TV, so a usefully large space that can lend itself to a range events once we have finished development. It needs to have a separate catering area and have it's own toilet facilities. The end of the room immediately at the top of the stairs is separated from the main room by a pillar which was formerly a double flue from the original cottages which has been left as a supporting structure, the area is directly above the downstairs corridor and toilet and was used as the main office for the club at one time. We have decided to turn this end of the room into another toilet with full disabled access and another galley kitchen area. I measured up and drew up a basic plan for the joiner to work to, the ceiling is high enough to allow us to under draw it and start again in that area with modern LED downlights.

Here is the new studding (already boarded and plastered) and door into what will become the new toilet area. You can seethe old chimney breast with the mounted radiator.

And the other side of the dividing wall which will become the galley kitchen. It's wider than it looks here and will support a corner base unit, sink and drainer, triple drawer and a fitted fridge unit and cupboards.

I have not photographed down the long upstairs corridor with the adjacent rooms. When I went in the centre one of the therapists was in her room and had a client. The end of the upstairs corridor has the emergency exit for the top floor, it exits onto a fire escape above the flat roof and down into the yard at the back of the club.

Earlier this year we benefited from a team from Marks and Spencer's who came along for two full days and provided the labour to repaint the whole length of the corridor and three of the four rooms. One of the rooms is going to be developed as quiet area where anyone can retreat to our maybe utilise for 1 to 1 counselling or support.

Lots to do yet but ongoing with fantastic continued community support.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: BE Bosom Friends Centre - 2, Green Street

Post by Stanley »

What a good effort. I didn't even know the Green Street was no more. Last time I was in there was 60 years ago with Danny Pateman.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Green Street Club is still very much there and thriving now after a full refurbishment. Anyone who has not been for while would not recognise it. Our purchase of part of the building allowed the club to fund the rework.

From the main entrance the door into the tap room was bricked up. The former small saloon bar was opened up and the bar area which used to be on the right was removed. Back and side wall was knocked through into the former main bar, the original main bar area was removed also. All the floors were levelled and a new bar was built along the back wall from the entrance, seating in the old saloon area in front. The rest of what was the original main bar is now fairly open plan with a few high tables and stools, seating around the sides and the snooker, darts, and large screens for the sports etc and room to set up live entertainment. They have a multimedia type machine that acts as a photo booth, juke box, quiz or gaming machine, you just select from a touch screen what you want for your money. It's modern and a very popular venue with young and old alike. Next time you are in the parish have a furtle.

Green Street - Barnoldswick WMC

Facebook page for the club. If you go to photos and scroll down you can see their refurbishment pictures.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I don't know why I say this but Good! I'm pleased it survives....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I believe we had the majority of our new upstairs kitchen delivered yesterday. I will pop round today to see how it's progressing. :smile:
Ian
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Looks good, very swish.
I spotted the end of the stairlift track downstairs but thought it was a radiator!

Apply for future project funding from the Lottery Commission?
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

One of our trustees is expert in finding funding sources. We have a few applications in at the moment. Trustees meeting next week and we will see where we are at. A lot of funders like to see a specific project either planned or in progress. That was the basis of our M&S labour in the community arrangement, we funded the materials for painting, M&S supplied 6 members of their staff for two days to help us with the job.

We have regular funding and support from our local CooP. Our recent sponsored walk, all the bottled water, fruit juice, tea, coffee, milk, biscuits and fruit was supplied free from them.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're right about funders Ian and they value local input as well. Always ask for twice as much as you want with costed schemes.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Our shop on town is still the biggest source for the group. We try to source external funding for capital projects and use the shop revenue for direct support back to those who are going through treatment.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good strategy.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

It works very well Stanley. We have very few overheads apart from the shop rental and the utilities for the centre. All trustees and volunteers are just that, volunteers, no one gets paid so it maximises the amount that we can redistribute into the community or grant to other groups. Under Charity Commission rules we could employ a manager, many do, especially for a lot of the town centre charity shops, but we have never had the need.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I tried to set up the same structure when I was funding Ellenroad but on a larger scale. Despite the fact the referees I called in said my idea was a licence to print money and the Arts Council agreed to come on board it frightened my board and they wouldn't let me do it. They had the same reaction when I proposed taking over the spare land in Junction 42 on the M62 and creating a park and ride facility. All part of the same plan. I think it was too ambitious for them.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

PanBiker wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 09:40 I believe we had the majority of our new upstairs kitchen delivered yesterday. I will pop round today to see how it's progressing. :smile:
I was wrong about the kitchen unit delivery, misheard Gus and it was the day he ordered it. No matter it will come when it comes. Construction not quite ready for it yet but moving on at a pace. I called in yesterday and the electricians were in installing all the cables for the kitchen ring and LED down lights. All that was more or less sorted when I popped in and they were looking for a route through the upstairs corridor wall to give them access to the upper floor consumer unit for the feeds. That wall is about 18 thick and a lot easier to look for an existing route than have to make another. Lighting and power feeds are easy enough to pick up as there are existing circuits in the main room but they need to get a direct 6mm feed from the consumer unit for the cooker and hob. Once that is done the rest of the boarding can go up on the kitchen walls and the under-drawn ceiling. Bits of the floor will have to be lifted then to get the plumbing in, all coming along nicely though.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Ian - give my regards to Gus next time you meet. I still treasure the puzzled look on his face when a total stranger approached him in the street, and asked him if he was Gus Brennan. :smile:

That was about five years ago when I went on pilgrimage to Barnoldswick. I've looked back at the photos of the day, and find that you and Sally are also in the album. Nice.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Indeed I will Tripps, he's a prolific snapper isn't he, just short of 55,000 photo's on flickr!

It's our trustees meeting next week although I may see him before, Ill tell him he's mentioned in dispatches. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I've only just got around to reading this thread and it's amazing. You and your colleagues have done a brilliant job, Ian! :yahoo:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Thanks Tiz, only possible with the continued support of the community. Lots still to do but making the main room upstairs accessible with it's own facilities will make it a lot more versatile. It will led itself to larger groups for meetings, family gatherings, parties, etc. We are putting full facilities into the upstairs toilet including a shower unit to support users who may have more challenging toileting needs.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Decorating is almost finished in the upstairs room. Gus and I have created an Art Deco feature wall which is very on vogue and although I say it myself looks quite good, four colours on one wall with colour bleed to adjacent walls. Kitchen is fully completed as are the toilet facilities. We have one small setback on the AV front, I have fitted the support bar for the display but cant put the display up. We totally overlooked power points in the ceiling (behind the tiles) for the AV kit! Best laid plans and all that....

We need four sockets at the TV end, one for the TV, one for extended audio amplifier, one for the broadband router and the last for a powerline adaptor so we can plug in a WiFi extender downstairs. I intend to put all that kit above the ceiling tiles and out of view. We also need overhead power at the other end of the room as we may put a screen and ceiling projector at that end.

Would make sense to cater for all eventualities. Completely overlooked that and could kick ourselves, waiting for our sparks to have a slot to fit us in. It's not too big a job as the feeds for the upstairs ring main are already up there behind the suspended ceiling it only needs two junction boxes in one leg to shove an extension loop in for the overhead power, grrrrr. :sad:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Console yourself with the fact you have identified the omission and are doing something about it Ian. Complicated projects always have small glitches, I have had plenty myself and all that matters is how you overcome them.
I think we need a pic of that Art Deco wall....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Staring us in the face Stanley, the nearest sockets to where the wall mounted AV will be are 5m away and would involve trailing cables down our feature wall. I need to get the display out and set it up temporarily on it's stand, the full user guide including all the info on connection options is embedded in the TV! I will need to get some addition AV kit to do a bit of conversion for the inputs, no problem I have access to a full range of what I need to provide the required versatility. I will also need to pull all the rear connections out to a wall socket for easier access.

I took some pictures of our feature wall on my phone but I think I have deleted them. I'll do another next time I'm in.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Sparks was in the other week and two double sockets have appeared at ceiling level above where the display will go. I would have preferred them in the roof space but taking a tile out and checking, I can see that there was not enough clearance to shove them up there.

I have signed the group up to a Talk Talk deal for broadband. As a charity we had to register as a business account so our options are 17mbps ADSL and 67mbps fibre. I opted for the latter as it's on offer for 24 months. We don't have a line so Open Reach are coming on Tuesday afternoon to sort us. Crazy thing is, we have to go with an ADSL router initially to establish the line and account, once that is sorted they will send us the fibre router and flip us onto a different cabinet. Seems daft to me but hey ho, if they want to sent two different routers so be it. The ADSL router was deliver to me a couple of days ago.

We need somewhere to install the various IT and AV hardware and it needs to be adjacent to the new mains sockets. To this end I have got a bit of MDF board cut to size by Stephen at B&D, I am cutting out some cable notches along what will be the back edge of the board which will become a shelf above the display. It will give about 6" of storage height for the various bits and bobs. SVGA to HDMI converter, router and possibly a WiFi extender depending on the coverage downstairs. I will paint it up the same colour as the wall at that end of the room. I need to order some bits now from CPC to further the install.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That is all Double Dutch to me! Well done for understanding it all!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Open Reach came on the appointed day and time, (well a third party contractor) and tried to find a live line on the terminal block already available upstairs at the centre. The Kelly Communications guy found a line but it belonged to the club next door, the line was routed through the former snooker room to the club downstairs. He ran a feeed of a spare pair of conductors in the box and fitted an ADSL master socket. The cabling on the outside of the building was in a bit of a mess with the connections running through abox tht was missing it's lid. This was both for the club and the line that he was istalling for us. He replaced the single broken box with two separate ones. One carrying the original line belonging to the club and a new one for us to carry the line back to the feed pole across the street.

This is where the job stopped, the pole needed for the connection had no safety certificate so was not climabable. He measured out the twin copper covered steel cable and left a bit spare, fitted the curly wurly strain reliefs then coiled it up and left it attachd high on the wall above the club door. He ordered up a hoist for another team to finish the job. Everything went quiet fo the next few days so I chased it towards the end of the week. I noticed an Open Reach van on site on Tuesday morning so I asked him if he had our job. Turned out he was the advanced team and he had coned off part of the street so the hoist could get in, it was on it's way from Burnley. An hour later we were connected up and I let him in to the centre so he could test it full from the master socket. All well but he told me the line would not be activated until Open Reach signed off the job as completed to Talk Talk, usually by midnight on the day of the job.

I took the router down along with my laptop to hook it up and do a bit of configuration to further my installation. This router will only be used temporarily until they upgrade us to a fibre connection in which case we will get Talk Talks "Super Router". All well so far so next job is to install the trunking for extending the connections to / from the display.
Ian

Return to “BE Bosom Friends”