Racing Pigeons

Other Sporting Events
beejay

Racing Pigeons

Post by beejay »

Racing Pigeons

Is there anyone in the area who goes in for ‘racing pigeons?’

The reason I ask is because as a lad in the 50s and 60s I lived very close to someone who kept racing pigeons. I could see the pigeon-loft from my bedroom window.

I never found out who owned them because the loft was beyond the end of my garden therefore the owner lived in another street of terraced houses.

I remember that the pigeons would be let out and fly round and round in circles or sometimes go round in a figure of eight. Then the man would rattle a can and they would all fly down back to the loft.

I remember I was gripped with curiosity but never found anything out about how they were trained to race and have wondered ever since.

Beejay
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Racing Pigeons

Post by Stanley »

Pigeon Racing is still alive and well but we no longer see the Federation pigeon carrier parked every weekend in Church Street waiting for pigeons from local lofts to be loaded to be taken to a starting point. I suspect nowhere near the number today. The Queen is reputed to have the biggest pigeon loft in England.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
beejay

Re: Racing Pigeons

Post by beejay »

There are two phrases that immediately spring to mind. 'Open Windows' and 'Buckingham Palace.'

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Cough! Cough! Cough!

Quick! Pass me the Oxygen!

Return to “Other Sporting Events”