THE 2014 WW1 CENTENARY IN BARLICK.

Thomo

Re: THE 2014 WW1 CENTENARY IN BARLICK.

Post by Thomo »

The F Barritt on the scroll is probably Frank Barritt from Foulridge, this was passed to me yesterday from John Richardson at CPGW. It has been decided not pursue the Duke of Lancaster's possible involvement any further, this due to problems in the past, they have been invited, it is now up to them. One thing that would have an impact of some kind, given that the main theme is the Rohilla, is a Naval participation. Having spent a lot of yesterday exploring the possibilities. I soon became aware that the Navy I knew is now a shadow of its origins. All of the Naval presence has gone from our area, and most activity is now centred on Portsmouth, Plymouth, Rosyth and Faslane. Top of my "shopping list was the Field Gun teams, this would have been just the ticket, but they ceased to exist in 1999, the practice of adopting a ship is also now history. The nearest unit of any kind is a Division of HMS Calliope (Newcastle), and is Ceres Division at Leeds. This is a Naval Reserve unit and I suppose would be fitting as all of the Men who died on the Rohilla were Naval Reservists, I now have their contact details. Another slight hiccup came to light at the weekend as well, many of the MOD contacts that I had have changed their contact details.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

This just in from 4 Yorks:-

RegtSec (O'Kelly, David Lt Col (Retd))

Today at 3:58 PM

Peter, this has now made its way to me as Bob has now retired from his post in Halifax .

We met when I came across for the Freedom last year.

I am not sure how much support we will be able to offer this year as the battalions are all busy in early Sep. Let me ask around and see what we can find.

Hope all well

Regards

David
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

A bit more encouraging Peter.
Ian
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Some we win. some we lose. A mail from Aero Engines Carlisle and they are sorry but no can do on the Wartime Weekend, The Nene engine however they tell me is owned by Rolls Royce, I will see what they can do.
Update at 14.38 Contact made with Rolls Royce.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Every now and then something arrives out of the blue, this came this afternoon:=

Hi Peter,
I was given your address by your namesake here in Whitby Pete Thompson of Whitby RNLI Museum.
I am part of the Rohilla Centenary team and am writing some music and a play which will endeavour to tell the story of the disaster. It will be performed on 1st November in Whitby.
Pete tells me that during the first weekend of September you are having the RNLI exhibition and maybe some other events in Barnoldswick related to 'Rohilla'
I would love the opportunity of adding to your plans by bringing some of the musicians and artists over to perform during that weekend.
Perhaps we can speak by phone and if that's ok I'll give you a call later in the week and maybe organise a meeting over your way in the near future.

Best regards
Richard Grainger
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Judging by response, mails suggest that this could be an appealing possibility. Trying to please as many as people as possible is not an easy task, but this I believe would go down well, and in particular with the youngsters. There is little else to report at the moment and by this weekend I will start re sending mails. The mantra here is that if there is nil response after 5 attempts it goes cold and other avenues are then explored.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

As reported in the Attention thread. Gus has posted some links to Rohilla information over on the Facebook site for Barlick pictures. I have popped a link on the FB site back to this topic.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Here is a link to the Facebook site set up for the SS Rohilla Centenary 2014.

SS Rohilla Centenary 2014
Ian
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Disappointing news this morning from the re enactment group:-
Hi Peter, sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the invite however we have a prior booking for that weekend, sorry.
Events dates sometimes clash and this seems to be one of those occasions.
Best wishes for your event. Regards, Peter Wedel.

No news at all from Rolls Royce ref the Nene Engine and no further contact from the theatre group at Whitby. The constant search for ideas keeps opening up other possibilities however, there is a branch of the Royal Naval Reserve at Leeds, this would fit in well with the Rohilla theme as the Men who died were all members of that reserve, I will give it a go. I will also have another try at the Restored Military Vehicles Trust. Any other ideas are of course always welcome.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

These are the Men and Women of the Royal Naval Reserve in Leeds, I note that two of the Officers are Naval Sick Berth Reserves, as were the Men on the Rohilla:-

Thomo

Post by Thomo »

An invitation has just been mailed to Lt Cdr David Noakes of Ceres Division at Leeds, now again we wait and see what happens!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

The BBMF have posted their program for 2014, this is how it looks for Saturday the 6th of September:-

Sat 6 Sep
Lanc/Hurri/Spit/Dak
Prestwick World Festival of Flight
Prestwick Airport,
South Ayrshire

It appears that they have a second Lancaster "Thumper" this is possibly on loan from Canada. Display details for both aircraft will be posted later.

Tonight it is the weekly meeting of the Naval Reserves in Leeds, we will see what happens!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

The main body of the book is now complete at page 388, Tot time!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Second Lancaster must be from Canada Thomo, they have the only other operational one in the world.
Ian
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Yesterday evening I rang Ceres Division at Leeds, they were just going through their e/mails. I spoke with the duty leading hand and explained what it was all about. This morning this was in my inbox:-

Good Evening Sir,

My name is Hannah Lee from Ceres Division in Leeds, I just wanted to thank you for your invite. The event looks amazing and of course we would like to attend.
Please can you advise how you would like Ceres to assist.

Thank you,

Hannah Lee.

Now that we have something to work with I have a few ideas of my own, for instance manning the Rohilla display, for this I can supply all the information required. They also have a small recruitment team which could take part. I am still open to other ideas, please put your thinking caps on.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Lancaster mystery solved, there is no 2nd Lanc. Lancaster City of Lincoln is being re painted in the colours of Lancaster B1 DV385 Thumper MKIII which was with 617 squadron Dambusters) in 1945.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

It has carried dual insignia, City of Licoln and Phantom of the Ruhr on Port and Starboard sides for some years now. Is it a complete paint job or still going to be an alter ego? We will see in September anyway.
Ian
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

A mail just in from Rolls Royce, we have the Nene Engine from them now to add to the display.
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

New areas for sowing Flanders Poppy seed on the edge of the Town Green are on their way to being ready for the seed.

The poppy seed will be mixed in with a mix of other annual wildflowers, together with some perennials. This will give a succession of flowers this year with the perennials coming into flower next year. The scheme is a Barnoldswick in Bloom initiative with support from the town council and Pendle Council.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I wondered what they are for. If they are as good as the wild areas at the top of Valley Gardens they will be an asset.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Agreed, that should look very good. We may get a bit of free advertising for the Centenary project next week pending a visit from BBC Lancashire in Tuesday. Thanks for that David.
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Peter, I'd have given you notice that they were going to call, but had to rush out straight after speaking to Tim. I knew you'd be the person to give them all the info.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

No problem David. I think I know enough about the Rohilla to make it interesting. He did ask if it would be possible to get a couple of the descendants here, this may not be easy but there is a lady ten doors away who is related by descent from 3 of the victims. I also understand that Claire Teals Husband has a connection. Regarding the book, I spoke with Bob Andrews at Pioneer Press in Skipton yesterday, I will be mailing him some sample pages and copies of the cover this weekend in order to get them to come up with a price. They are printing the new Earby book for the history society.
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Visit Barnoldswick has received the following information about activities in Whitby:

I am writing on behalf of Whitby Art Society. We were asked by RNLI Cromer to produce art work commemorating the story of the Rohilla and the great rescue off Whitby in I914.

As so many brave members of your community were involved in this we felt that their descendants may wish to visit this exhibition. If so, fuller details are on our website or from our Secretary.

RNLI 'Hope in the Great War' (inc Rohilla Exhibition) at The Pannett Art Gallery, Pannett Park, Whitby from 23 July to 31 August 2014.

This is the briefest outline of a huge artistic undertaking (64 paintings which were also made into a book) but I hope it may be of some interest to you.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

This mornings interview with BBC Radio Lancs. went quite well despite several interruptions. I got a good plug in for the Wartime Weekend as well. This will be broadcast around August for the Centenary. The usual battle against non answered mails continues, company secretaries are like Doctors receptionists, hard to get past!!!

Return to “Miscellaneous Events”