Blood Donors

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Blood Donors

Post by PanBiker »

Bingley venue was easy enough to find yesterday. Just about 200 yards off the bypass on Main Street. Any available free parking spaces were taken when I arrived so I had to park on the pay and display, only £1.40 for a couple of hours. Well organised with a receptionist nurse on the door. When beckoned in she took your temperature and you waited on one of only 3 chairs to be called into the main hall. More hand sanitisers available and you were directed to a well spaced chair to read the book and wait to be called. My appointment was 3pm, I arrived a couple of minutes early and was called for my turn at about 3.35pm. Nurse said they were extremely busy, the pandemic has not put people off attending even though venues are scarcer. The Little Theatre was a lot warmer than Burnley Fire Station that's for sure, pleasant and well organised venue. I completed my donation in about 10 minutes and was having my biscuit a few minutes later. No brews of course but fruit juices available if you wanted them. I had taken my own water so just carried on with that. I scanned a Q Code of a sheet on the table and it took me to a NHSBT questionnaire about the session which I completed. I left at 4pm.

My next session is already booked at West Bradford.
Ian
Big Kev
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Big Kev »

It is good to see people aren't put off donating, the donation teams have got a well organised system going on.
I was quite fortunate at Burnley Football Club for my last donation, I was in the door a couple of minutes early and in a donation chair within 10 minutes. I 'bleed out' fairly quickly and the armful was given in just over 6 minutes. I then had to wait an hour for Paulette, despite her appointment only being 15 minutes later than mine (it suddenly got busy). I think I was one of the first in after lunch :-)
Kev

A Resigned Observer
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

This morning I received a public service message asking for blood donors to make a donation before having a Covid vaccine or 28 days after the second shot. I haven't seen this mentioned before, can you not donate during this period? Is it the same everywhere?
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

From The Australian Red Cross Lifeblood

Normal ‘Wellness Checks’ and COVID-19 related questions are done before entering, at appointment time.
Also donors have to wait 7 days after each COVID-19 vaccination before donating blood, regardless of which vaccine they have received.
If a donor has returned from overseas, they have to wait 28 days.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Thanks Cathy. I'm not a donor but this was the first time I became aware of it.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

If you have had Covid and have recovered you are a valuable asset for NHSBT. You are extremely useful as a platelet donor if you can attend one of the dedicated centres. Our nearest is Bradford and I hope it is something our Jack might consider when he feels up to it. Like me he is a regular donor but has had the virus so would be a contender.

Generally NHSBT wont touch you with a barge pole if you have had foreign needles in you of any type in the period running up to your donation, I think it's two weeks. Surgery, invokes the cavalry as I found out and requires your details being scrutinised by their medical panel. You can't donate within a week of a dental appointment either.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

My donation at Bingley has been sent to Grantham and District Hospital. I got a text and an email yesterday to tell me where it will be used. :smile:
Ian

Return to “Volunteering Opportunities”