Blood Donors

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Blood Donors

Post by Big Kev »

20190719_184521.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Do you get a bonus for having a bigger arm?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 20 Jul 2019, 02:24 Do you get a bonus for having a bigger arm?
An extra biscuit with a brew :laugh5:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Well done Kev, with my licence back, I will be able to do a bit of roaming to find some 12 week appointments maybe. :smile: I'm still at the end of October for my next in Barlick as the September sessions are full. On the brew front, I assume you had to make it yourself. :extrawink: :biggrin2:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 20 Jul 2019, 09:09 Well done Kev, with my licence back, I will be able to do a bit of roaming to find some 12 week appointments maybe. :smile: I'm still at the end of October for my next in Barlick as the September sessions are full. On the brew front, I assume you had to make it yourself. :extrawink: :biggrin2:
I did indeed. I have my next appointment at RR, end of October. They are requesting I bring my own cup to the session to cut down on their carbon footprint, sounds like a good idea to me.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

That wasn't mentioned to me on my last visit but as you say, seems like a good idea. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 20 Jul 2019, 16:16 That wasn't mentioned to me on my last visit but as you say, seems like a good idea. :smile:
It was a 'note' that popped up on the app when I made the appointment.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I booked mine quite a few weeks ago shortly after my last donation so maybe not thought of then.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I checked the website to see if there were any cancellations for earlier sessions than my next that I have had to book in October. All sessions are now marked with an appeal to bring your own reusable water container, they are looking to reduce their single use plastic footprint from the hydration regime. No mention of your own pot though for the brew. No earlier sessions at Rolls available but now I have my driving licence back I might have a look for out of town ones that will fit the 12 week regime for blokes when I get back off holiday. :smile:

I will have to be mindful of the dental appointment on the 10th September so that will take out a week in the middle of the month. You need to be 7 days clear of the dentist. :goodidea:

I have had a quick look and late August or September looks promising, Colne Muni, Burnley Fire Station or Turf Moor. I checked Skipton but can find no venues at all in the town which I find quite amazing, nearest is Keighley at Victoria Hall.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I take an interest in this corner of the world. This item caught my eye, and is a reminder of how things are elsewhere. I wonder what the local equivalent of a cup of tea and a biscuit is. :smile:

Blood letting
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

In the UK, black and Asian donors are in the minority and NHSBT often run campaigns to get more from those communities to engage and donate. Some have the rarer and important blood types that can help with sickle cell anaemia. I tried for four years to get my technician who hailed originally from Bangladesh to give an armful to no avail. I notice in Barlick that there are couple of young Asian women who come together to sessions and both donate. :smile:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Interesting. I was trying to show that there is a lot to this 'blood letting, and certainly more than we might appreciate in UK. I note the guy said 'blood was very expensive'. Good to see that cost is not mentioned at all when it comes to the NHS, and that donations are altruistic.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Gleaned from The Barnoldswick & Earby Times local newspaper during my research for missing service personnel from our war memorial.

June 30th 1944

There is a large advertisement on the front page:

A MAN'S LIFE MAY DEPEND ON YOU
Enrol for the "SECOND FRONT" as a volunteer Blood Donor
at the First Aid Post
Bethesda Sunday School
Blood Transfusion Sessions will be held
3.00 - 5.00pm and 6.00 - 8.30pm

July 7th 1944

There is a report about the excellent response to the Blood Donors appeal. A total of 121 pints were collected from the donors that attended. R.N.V.R. Surgeon Lieut. Craig acted as Medical Officer in charge, with local Dr. J.D. Robertson in control of the First Aid Post.

Dr Robertson was one of the senior doctors who formed the first joint surgery operations in the town which continues today. He was my doctor from childhood through to when we started our family. He recognised from reviewing her records that when Sally was first pregnant that she had never had German Measles so organised plasma injections for her, he was quite up on preventative medicine and had seen the damage done to children in the past with the disease during pregnancy. He retired in the mid 80's.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Old school like Arthur Morrison, Kim Morrison, John Wilfred Pickard and Jagoe in Earby.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I was bounced for a week on my dental appointment when I had my filling sorted. No knock on there for my next session as I'm well clear now. Since then though I have received my appointment for my MRI scan which is this Sunday. My donor session is at the end of the month, about 10 days later. Will have to see what the blue nurse says about a foreign cannula for the contrast dye!
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

What's a blue nurse?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

At blood donors the blue nurse is the senior nurse in charge of the session, the equivalent of a ward sister in hospital. Safety of the blood stock at the donation session rests with her. If you tick any of the the yes boxes on the medical questionnaire she comes to interview you and you get the Spanish inquisition of why you have ticked the box. She either signs it off as OK and you proceed to donation or she bounces you. She also has the clout to refer you to the NHSBT medical review board.

The contentious question on the form this session for me is:

"had any hospital investigations, tests, operations or alternative therapies"

Lets hope the cannula nurse tomorrow does a tidy job. :extrawink: :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

For once I have got the drop on The NHSBT donor booking system. I'm donating at the session this afternoon but decided to check the next sessions. Managed to find a slot 12 weeks from today on the 6th February 2020 on the male rota so I have booked the same time as today 14.55. If you leave it too late you end up on the 16 week cycle or miss a session completely. :smile:

I'll take my colapsible water bottle that I take walking for my pre donation hydration, they ask you to take your own container now to save on the single use plastic. I will take my enamel mug as well for the tea to go with the biscuits. :extrawink:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Me too Ian, 10 minutes after you. I usually end up having to book a different venue, there are only a few afternoon appointments left now though.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Good session the other day, met up with Kev who as he says was following me about. Saw Kirsty one of our younger Bosom Friends trustees and her boyfriend waiting their turn when I was having my brew. The crew, (all bar one that I could see) were all dressed for Halloween, from the Addams Family we had Gomez, Uncle Fester, (with Thing) and Wednesday, one or two zombies and the rest were various flavours of witches, surprised not to see any Vampires who would have been more up for the job in hand no doubt. Well done for the effort though, raised a few smiles at the session. Uncle Fester could do the light the bulb in the mouth trick. :biggrin2: :extrawink:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I received a text message and an email to tell me that my last donation has been processed and has been passed to Rotherham General Hospital. As a positive group donation (A+), my group is shared with one in three of the population and is often further split into platelets and used for the treatment of cancer patients.

Anyone reading this, (really appealing to our guest visitors) who is eligible to donate and doesn't, please register and do something amazing. :smile:

Blood Donors Website
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I am booked in to donate on the 6th February and have just checked the Blood Donor website. Appointments are available for the 30th April session which is on the 12 week male rota, (just) so I have booked a session while there is availability. Heads up for Big Kev. :extrawink:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Got my invitation and medical questionnaire for the session on the 6th February at Rolls. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Volunteering Opportunities”