Blood Donors

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Blood Donors

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 25 Jan 2020, 11:30 Got my invitation and medical questionnaire for the session on the 6th February at Rolls. :smile:
Me too
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Mines 14.45, will we be blood brothers again? :biggrin2:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Email from NHSBT this morning regarding a new study, STRIDES.

Dear Ian,

Donor ID: xxxxxxxxx

NHS Blood and Transplant is working in partnership with the University of Cambridge to implement and evaluate small changes in our standard practices to improve your donation experience. The study, Strategies to Improve Donor Experiences (STRIDES) will take place in all blood donor centres and mobile teams over the next three years.
During this period, you may notice some small changes to your donation experience relating to:
• The leaflets you read before you donate
• The drink you are offered in the waiting area
• The advice you are given during and after your donation.

For the duration of the STRIDES study, de-identified information about you (i.e. it does not contain your personal information) will be used to investigate if donor experiences have been improved. De-identified data from your blood donation records will be provided by NHSBT to approved researchers at the University of Cambridge.
If you do not wish for your data to be used for the STRIDES study, please ask a member of staff to provide you with the ‘STRIDES data opt out’ form. Please note that opting out of STRIDES will not affect your routine blood donation with NHSBT.
Thank you for your support.

Professor David Roberts
Associate Medical Director
Blood Donation

Professor Emanuele Di Angelantonio
NHSBT Professor of Donor Health
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Pedant's Post. 'De-identified information' What's wrong with anonymous?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I think there is actually a subtle difference in that anonymous would be regarding your name etc. Because the study is purely about the donor experience. De-identified information and data, (and hence the supplied definition) may actually be a better choice as it also covers the other data in your file such as Hgb result, blood type and all your answers and responses by your triage nurse to your medical questionnaire.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 30 Jan 2020, 11:12 Mines 14.45, will we be blood brothers again? :biggrin2:
15:10, I'll wave on the way out :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 31 Jan 2020, 09:49 I think there is actually a subtle difference in that anonymous would be regarding your name etc. Because the study is purely about the donor experience. De-identified information and data, (and hence the supplied definition) may actually be a better choice as it also covers the other data in your file such as Hgb result, blood type and all your answers and responses by your triage nurse to your medical questionnaire.
De-identified: All direct personal identifiers are permanently removed (e.g., from data or specimens), no code or key exists to link the information or materials to their original source(s), and the remaining information cannot reasonably be used by anyone to identify the source(s). Note: For purposes of HRPP policy, protected health information is de-identified when it does not contain any of the 18 identifiers specified by the HIPAA Privacy Rule at 45 CFR Part 164 (or has been determined to be de-identified by a statistician in accordance with the standards established by the Privacy Rule). For more information, including the list of identifiers that must be removed to de-identify health information, see HIPAA and Human Subjects Research.
Anonymous data: Unidentified (i.e., personally identifiable information was not collected, or if collected, identifiers were not retained and cannot be retrieved); information or materials (e.g., data or specimens) that cannot be linked directly or indirectly by anyone to their source(s).
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Thanks for that Kev, my appointment is actually 14.55 so we are not that far apart. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 31 Jan 2020, 17:33 Thanks for that Kev, my appointment is actually 14.55 so we are not that far apart. :smile:
:good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I've had to reschedule my donation, picked up a stomach bug from somewhere and I've been like a biological weapon for a few days...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Oh no Kev! Blue Nurse would definitely sack you off for that. I hope you are feeling better soon.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 09:12 Oh no Kev! Blue Nurse would definitely sack you off for that. I hope you are feeling better soon.
Cheers Ian, feeling better today. There's a 14 day 'clear' date for stomach bugs. I've rebooked for April 2nd :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

We will part company for the sessions then for the future. I am already booked for the 30th April session on the 12 week rota.

I will check around the 23rd - 30 July after this session, should be the next Rolls date after April.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Session went OK yesterday. I donated from my right arm for a change, last 10 or 12 have been from the left. My right is usually quicker, I mentioned it was the one chosen in hospital for shoving stuff in. Must be a fatter vein or something, 8 mins for my armful yesterday. Mentioning the hospital did invoke the Blue Nurse who wanted to check that my hospitalisation was on my notes. She said with craniotomies up to a certain date, the concern was the mesh that may have been used for reinforcing and sealing gaps in the skull was suspect as some was synthesised from human proteins which introduces a cross contamination risk from the donor. For that reason it has not been used for a number of years now, she was checking my dates, none in my head and all good on the dates of my surgery and she could see that I had been reviewed by the NHSBT Medical Panel and pronounced fit to donate, I knew that of course but good that they are on the ball. :smile:

Checked the next session after April at Rolls and Its just a little too soon (10 weeks) for the male 12 week rota so I have booked one on the 16 week rota on the 20th August. That will suit me for the next session after that which should not clash with my next contrasted MRI, that's the plan anyway.

Best laid and all that, I may yet have to change the August one as I have a sneaking feeling that we may be off camping around that time with the Silsden gang. I think I heard something in conversation, will have to check with my P.A. :extrawink:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I have just received at text to say that my donation last week has been passed to Leicester Royal Infirmary. I hope it is of benefit to someone or maybe more than one individual depending on how they use it. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Might be better to take your own mug next time. They'll be after the biscuits soon. :smile:

Blood Donors
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

NHSBT ask you to hydrate before giving blood so provide water. They used to supply plastic pint receptacles as well but ask that you bring your own cup. I take my collapsible water bottle that I have when I go out walking. Many others now take their own bottles and receptacles. Our team use a self service vending machine for brews after donation and have the cardboard cups with reusable handles for the hot drinks. You would struggle with a "normal" sized mug with the machine. Last time I attended I didn't bother with the brew, I just carried on with my water. I did have two Mint Club biscuits though. :extrawink:

The pre-hydration regime while you are waiting for your haemoglobin test and questionnaire run through with the nurse has cut down the incidence of fainting at sessions by around 80%

Oh and with self service you have to book all your own appointments online or by phone. They no longer do next session appointments at the venues. I try to keep two sessions ahead and am already booked for the same. :smile:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

A note in this thread about Coronavirus and blood donation. There is more information on the NHSBT Blood Donors site but the main gist is this. Donations have generally dropped off with some folk not attending due to the pandemic. Consequently there are shortages and supplies are a little depleted. It is more important now in a time of National Emergency that people keep their appointments whenever they can.

Measures are in place at the donor centres to mitigate the spread of the virus and there is no reason not to attend unless you are in one of the vulnerable groups. Social distancing regimes will be employed wherever practical at the venues. You are of course as is the norm, expected to be fit and well when you turn up to donate. Do not go if you have a fever or suspect you may be infected. At the session your samples will not be tested for Covid-19. There is no incidence of the virus being spread by donated blood or the products produced from it. At the session you my get a few different questions at the triage session with the nurse to confirm that you are fit to donate. Your donation will be taken and processed in the normal way.

Please continue to donate, another way you can help the NHS to continue the fight.

More info and booking on the link below, do something amazing.

NHS Blood Donation
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

My appointment at Rolls on the 30th of this month has been cancelled and the venue changed to Ermysteds Grammar School in Skipton. There is a post on Barnoldswick Talk FB page to this effect, some have received letters asking to re book appointments. As it is at the moment my online donor record just shows my appointment at the same time but over in Skipton.

Both venues are closed but they must still have access to the school.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I have just checked my appointment at Ermysteds and it is still holding good for the 30th. There is more information on the measures that will be in force at the venues. There will be an enhanced Triage procedure which will include more questions than normal. Also a reduced number of chairs and donors are asked not to turn up until their appointment time so that you will not have to queue. Hot drinks after donation have been suspended as these encourage people to stay a little longer.

The NHSBT site also has daily updates on any venues that have been cancelled and alternative arrangements if they have been made. They still want donors to attend and ask that if you have to cancel, do it as soon as possible to allow them to allocate your slot to someone else.

It all seems very well organised to cater for the situation we are in at the moment. :smile:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Just received my confirmation appointment letter and medical questionnaire for the 30th April session at Emysteds. As I thought there are a few extra questions, mainly about potential contact with various infections that are not normally on the list. Fortunately none apply to me so as long as that remains the case I will be good to go a week on Thursday. :smile:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Reminder text message today about my appointment. NHSBT need all the donors they can get as some of the 4% have dropped off due to self isolation etc.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

20200425_103816.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “Volunteering Opportunities”