Bagels

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Bagels

Post by PanBiker »

Never had a go at these before so I thought I would try it. A different preparation method to normal bread dough. Slight variations in recipes but the one I used:

300ml warm water

450g Strong bread flour

1 x 7g sachet dried yeast

3 x tblsp sugar

2 x tsp salt

Method:

Put 1 x tblsp sugar and the dried yeast in a bowl, add 100ml warm water and cover for 10 minutes until the mixture starts bubbling.

Put the salt and 2/3rds of the flour into a bowl, make a well and add the yeast mix and 2/3rds of the remaining 200ml of water. Mix adding the remaining water and flour until you have a stiff (not sticky) dough.

Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes. Place back in the bowl, cover and leave in a warm room to double in size (about 1 hour)

Knock back and divide into 8 or 10 equal parts, roll each into a round ball, slightly flatten then create a hole in the middle with your finger or a wooden spoon handle, enlarge the hole to be about 1" across. Place the formed doughs onto a tray with baking parchment.

Here is where the process varies somewhat from a normal bread.

Boil a large pan of water add the other 2 x tblsp sugar to the water.

Lower the formed doughs into the water using a slotted spoon (2 - 4 at a time) and boil for around 1 to 2 minutes turning over half way through the process. The length of boil determines how chewy the end result will be, (1 min soft, 2 min chewier).

The bagels will form a firm outer, lift them out with a slotted spoon to drain the water and set them back on the tray.

At this point you can add any toppings you require you can also add an egg glaze if you wish.

Bake in the centre of the oven at Gas mark 7 for about 20 - 25 minutes.

They should sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.

I didn't use any glaze or toppings on this first batch and they came out OK.

Each Bagel will be around 220Kcal
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Re: Bagels

Post by Tripps »

Well done for trying them Ian. My memories of bagels is going to the Prestwich (Manchester) area on a Sunday when most other shops were closed, and getting some from Bookbinders bakery. This would be in the late 60's, and they were not common beyond there.

They were smaller than the modern (New York) ones, had a shiny surface, and were very hard to chew. the idea of eating them as a sort of sandwich didn't occur - we just had them with butter on.

This Brick lane Beigel seems to be the best source now. I saw a video of that place, and remember there was some sort of religious ritual associated with the bakery. I think they were passed through a hole in a wall as I remember it.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I got turned on to bagels when I lived with a Jewish lady in NY. I have a story...
I was up early one morning and fancied a BLT and a coffee so I wandered over to 2nd Avenue and went in the first coffee shop that was open and ordered Bacon on a bagel. The man looked at me and said "You're a Limey. This is a Kosher deli!" I realised my mistake and changed it to Lox on a bagel but he said no, you can have bacon, I'm doing some for myself but don't tell anyone! :biggrin2:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

All the locals must have known - they'd be able to smell the bacon frying from half a mile away! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tripps wrote: 09 Nov 2019, 20:56.

This Brick lane Beigel seems to be the best source now. I saw a video of that place, and remember there was some sort of religious ritual associated with the bakery. I think they were passed through a hole in a wall as I remember it.
I've had bagels from there when I worked in that there London, smoked salmon and scrambled egg or roast beef and English mustard fillings were two of my favourites.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I've added it to my 'bucket list'. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Couple of good bagel bakers in Finsbury Park too, best thing of Brick Lane is its opening hours. But I find the shop multi-wrapped ones too chewy- I have lost too many fillings from my teeth in them so given up on the cream cheese ones that I used to like.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The bloke in the shop was Jewish but he had flexible attitudes. He had one every morning and must have got away with it. Lox is salmon and I liked Lox and cream cheese as well....
Ethel once found a kosher pork butcher's shop in Paris....

I found this in LA.

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This topic has certainly triggered off memories for me! I spent a lot of time with a Jewish family in NY at one time and loved the culture. (In particular the humour but I'd better not get started on that!)
Apart from bagels I was introduced to new foods, hot salt beef on Bagels, Blintzes, and the whole range of kosher delicatessen. I remember being at breakfast on morning with the family and it consisted of a pile of fresh bagels and a Lazy Susan in the middle of the table loaded with sweet herring pickle, lox, cream cheese and a white pickled fish that I couldn't identify but which was superb. I admit I overdosed on it encouraged by Jack Sussman telling me to "Enjoy!". I found out later it was incredibly expensive pickled sturgeon and apologised but was assured it was OK. If you ever get the chance to try it, "Enjoy!".

I was also introduced to the delights of an old fashioned automat. I wonder if they still exist? Again, if you ever get the chance and it's Kosher, pile in and fill your boots!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Baking”