Give Us This Day Our Daily Bread

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Give Us This Day Our Daily Bread

Post by PanBiker »

Now there's an offer you cant refuse. :smile: :extrawink:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

And I won't.

"Cast your bread upon the waters" to get back on topic. :smile:

Actually I'm using a self tapping screw at the moment, but that's not in keepng. A nice brass one will be better. I (think) I can remember the month so just need one for the date. The hole seems to be 3-4 mm wide. Doesn't need to too precise as it tilts back, and won't fall out. .

Arrangements are in the post - with a mystery prize. . . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Be still my heart.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tripps wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 13:25 Arrangements are in the post - with a mystery prize. . . .
A self tapping screw?? :biggrin2:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Our artisan bakers in town have put up their prices again for their bread. We used to get their Chia bread but the price is getting silly. Sally gets a loaf to take over for our Carla when she is doing her granny duties on a Wednesday. I am in the process of rearing two more Chia and Sunflower seed loaves for our consumption. I reckon I can turn out three for the price of one from the bakers. :extrawink:

Just waiting for the dough to prove.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have noted that their prices for everything have 'got silly'. Not quite as big a fan now.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Have a bit of sympathy for the small baker. Their raw materials have gone up in price along with rates, rents, and utilities. They are not into mass production so their time is a large factor in costs. Basically they have become 'hobby' shops how they survive is a mystery.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have sympathy Ken and recognise their difficulties, it's simply the fact I can't afford their prices. You can spend as much in there as in the butchers and have very little to show for it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

One other thing I have noticed is that all my bread taps hollow like it should. The Chia and other loaves from the bakers, although very good seem to be made more on the Chorley Wood process or similar as they are soft and spongy. Mine stays fresher longer as well. :extrawink:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Bought a sour bread from Sainbury's yesterday. Two chunks for tea with my ploughman's. Nice taste, not too soft. A toasted slice this morning. Doesn't give a traditional crusty toasting but has a nice flavour and texture. Probably get another next week.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Finished off the last loaf of my hand baked bread at lunch today so a replenishment of stock required. I am doing a couple of Chia, Sunflower loaves and have added Pumpkin seeds to this mix.

I am also trying some fruit teacakes. I have mixed enough to make a half dozen. Bread mix with a bit more sugar, spices and fruit. I have put Cinnamon in and a shake of nutmeg, fruit mix will be raisins and sultanas, should have currants and peel but I don't have stock at the moment. I have made up the weight with more sultanas.

Both are on their first rise, the seeded bread should get there first I reckon as the teacake mix is a bit stiffer dough. I'll stick a picture up when I have finished.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Here we go, today's baking output. The loaves are OK as expected. Two for the use of, Chia, Sunflower and Pumpkin seed.

Fruit teacakes are a bit of a let down. They look more like scones.

Proof of the pudding is in the eating of course so here we are with one fresh from the oven opened up.

It is definitely a bread rather than a scone texture but they have not formed properly. I think this is due to a couple of things. The dough seemed a bit dry and I should have added more liquid than called for I reckon. The other is that the fruit is added at the knock back stage after the first rise which in itself went according to plan. Problem was integrating the fruit to the dough with it being a bit firm. After dividing I had difficulty forming the neat balls that you need for rolls and the like, again I reckon because it was too dry.

More work will be required on this recipe before I get it right. Next time I will go off instinct rather than the recipe for the liquid content and use the mixer at the knock back stage to get the fruit in.

They taste OK with a slaver of butter but I think this batch will be best toasted once fully cooled.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Weekly bread baking session so I am having another go at fruited bread. I have made this one up myself and have used a half measure of the Nigella recipe but added the fruit to the basic dry mix. No seeds in the liquid of course. It's half measure but I have used a whole measure of dried yeast, (difficult to keep half a sachet). It's currently going like a train on the rise so it should come out OK. I will bake this as a loaf rather than rolls. A lot slacker mix with the normal recipe, I have only used raisins as Aldi didn't have currants the last time I shopped. I'm popping down this afternoon so will check again.

I mixed up my standard Chia and Sunflower dough as usual and that is also rising nicely. Pictures to follow.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Will the raisins 'plump' up a bit if you soak them in something? Tea or something alcoholic like port?

When I last made bread I found a really slack mix worked best, a favourite was a cheese and onion loaf. A handful of cubed strong cheddar and finely chopped half a small onion mixed in after the second proving.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

The Nigella recipe is very slack. Here is the result of today's bake. My normal couple of Chia and Sunflower seeded loaves and the fruit loaf variant at the front. Hard to get semi solid additions in after the first rise so I chucked them in to the dry mix. It didn't seem to make a difference to the proving. Bread making machines always add extras in after the first rise but they continue with another mix during the knock back stage. I reckon you could do it in the mixer. Soft cheese etc is a different consistency so will mix a bit easier, I have done this when making cheese variants as you describe.

The bread will be bob on, I'll let you know how the fruit loaf turns out when we get into it.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

They look good
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Big Kev wrote: 08 Jul 2021, 13:45 Will the raisins 'plump' up a bit if you soak them in something? Tea or something alcoholic like port?
For the record Kev, the raisins plumped up quite well with the moisture in the dough mix. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 08 Jul 2021, 23:29
Big Kev wrote: 08 Jul 2021, 13:45 Will the raisins 'plump' up a bit if you soak them in something? Tea or something alcoholic like port?
For the record Kev, the raisins plumped up quite well with the moisture in the dough mix. :smile:
:good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Here is a slice of the fruit loaf:

Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I trust that tastes as good as it looks?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Indeed it does Kev, as is or toasted. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I've been looking at a low carb alternative, to pizza dough, as I have the urge for a cal zone. Lidl sell a low GI cob loaf that's only 36g per 100g of carbs so I'm going to try an experiment. I'm going to hollow it out and fill with red pesto, ricotta, mozzarella and sliced salami. Wrap in clingfilm and squash it a bit (2 chopping boards and 4 tins of beans).
Once I'm ready to eat it, remove the clingfilm and 15 minutes in a hot oven to melt the cheeses and crisp up the crust.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I will wrap it in foil and leave it in the oven longer next time, it tasted really good but I prefer my mozzarella a little more 'elastic'.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Learning curve Kev, took me a while to get my Lamb Kleftico bang on.
Ian

Return to “Baking”