Sourdough Savoury Cheese Scones

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Sourdough Savoury Cheese Scones

Post by PanBiker »

We are low on bread and my starter needs a refresh so I have some discard. I first mixed up the makings of a Bloomer as that takes the longest to produce, it's should have more or less completed it's first rise as I post.

I thought I would use the discard for some savoury scones. Here is the recipe I have used:

350g - Self Raising Flour
90g - Cold Butter
5g - Salt
7g - Baking Powder
220ml - Milk
100ml - Sourdough Starter
70g - Mature Cheddar or other cheese of choice, (grated)

Rub flour and butter together to a fine crumb, then add all the other ingredients. I mixed the dry stuff first then added the cheese, starter and milk. Mix gently with a spoon but not too much. Turn out onto a floured surface. Pat down to about 4cm thick, cut out and set on a baking sheet or greased tray. Brush with egg and milk or add a little more grated cheese on top.

Bake at 180C, about gas 5 for 10 -15 minutes then have a look, they may need slightly longer until golden brown. Remove and allow to cool before consuming. :smile:

Ian
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Re: Sourdough Savoury Cheese Scones

Post by Whyperion »

typo ?
3.35Kg of Flour ?

If it is self raising, why add baking powder I thought that was added to SR flour in the first place (or is it to additional aid the stiction of the fat and dried goods?
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Sourdough Savoury Cheese Scones

Post by PanBiker »

Amended, thanks for mentioning. Not my recipe, one I found online but a few do add baking powder or bicarb to the flour SR included. Probably to contra the fat in the cheese and milk as you assume. They turned out OK, very light. :smile:
Ian

Return to “Baking”