BARCROFT PAPERS

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

BARCROFT PAPERS

Post by Stanley »

BARCROFT PAPERS

The memoranda book of Ambrose Barcroft 1689 to 1693 and the Account book of Thomas Barcroft 1693 to 1732. Edited by Wilfred M Spencer. FLA.

Transcribed from a copy loaned to Stanley Challenger Graham by Helen Spencer, Wilfred Spencer’s widow.

Copy of a letter written by Thomas Barcroft (1652-1732) of Noyna Hall, Foulridge, Parish of Colne, Lancashire, to an un-named correspondent who may well have been Richard Moore of Ball House Foulridge, who in June 1679 rented to Thomas Barcroft one fifth of Foulridge Mill at 21/- per year. The copy is undated but bears on its reverse a page of accounts dated 1671 written in the hand of his father Ambrose Barcroft (1629-1693) and is probably of about 1694/95.

‘I hear you are about bringing an action against me as to your fifth part of Foulridge Mill which methinks will appear to be a very unreasonable thing, whensoever it is brought before the Court of Chancery and the matter rightly represented, for I never heard of anybody ever concerned in it but they were losers by it and I can have the testimony of the whole country that it never was good for anything.. I have heard my grandfather say, who was chiefly concerned in it for many years, that he was £20 loser by it and in those days it was at best and let to one Bernard Emmott for 40/- per annum yet I am morally certain the rent was badly paid, and now since Pollard built the mill at Wood End nobody owned it (for it was short of water and without a drying kiln) Insomuch that John Spencer and Richard Hargreave who had stood their share before threw them up and would concern themselves no more about it. I had put it into good repair at £20 charge at least, as I find by particulars of my account – beside the £8-10-0 rent paid to you it cost me £5 or £6 in suit with the Towne, so that I may safely affirm I am £40 the loser by it and think my accounts will make it out; and for me to have maintained a miller and to have been at a yearly charge in reparations of the mill for the sake of your fifth part only, and of no benefit made of the mill, had been an unreasonable charge upon me. You may cause me to spend money and spend money of your own. But to avoid a Chancery Suit I am content to give you a Guinea though it be in my owne wrong, there is likewise a Mill rope, a good one, and a wire siff you may have. I wonder you should expect I keep up the mill after I had sold two mill stones to Mr Hoyle (for two guineas which stood me in above £8) for the use of your own mill. I would desire your answer at your leisure that I may know what to depend upon.

[Then follows another paragraph which Wilfred notes as appearing exactly as below but up to the word ‘anything’ is a draft of an earlier passage in the letter which has been heavily corrected.]

….. and upon occasion I can have the testimony of the whole country that it never was good for anything that I may the better understand how far my Engagement, I being much in the dark as to particulars having kept neither side lease though I wrote them both myself, and am Sir, Your humble….

[The original copy was made by Wilfred Spencer, 14th February 1959.]

The Memoranda Book of Ambrose Barcroft 1689 to 1693 and the Account Book of Thomas Barcroft 1693 to 1732.

Biographical details relating to Ambrose and Thomas Barcroft are to be found in the preface to ‘A High Constable’s Register. 1681 edited by R S France MA. Published in Vol. 107 (1955) of the Transactions of the Historic Society, and in ‘Barcroft Family Records’ by Emma T Runk, Lippincott, Philadelphia, 1910. Documents in the Lancashire Record Office have provided the additional information that in 1650 (presumably on the occasion of his marriage to Martha Thompson of Middlethorpe near York.) Ambrose and Martha had an annual rent of £30 settled on them by his father, Thomas (1607 to ?) and Ambrose is here described as ‘Ambros [sic] Barcroft of York, Merchant. He was then within a few days of his 21st birthday and from this period onwards many of the documents referring to him are connected with his business transactions in the buying and selling of wool and in lending considerable sums of money.

Apart from the eminence which he attained in his appointment as High Sheriff of the Blackburn Hundred in 1681 he served as Constable of Colne on several occasions and repeatedly filled Parish Offices in Colne. The minute books of the Meetings for Sufferings of the Society of Friends of Marsden records in 1674; ‘About the same time, John Emmott, Constable and Ambrose Barcroft, Overseer and George Barnard, Steeplehouse Warden of Colne 5/- fine took from John Moon of Colne, shoemaker, two pairs of shoes worth 7/- and returned nothing again.’ This entry is particularly interesting because Ambrose had a family of cousins in Ireland who were of some note amongst the Quakers and one of whom, John Barcroft, (c.1663 to 1723) became an itinerant Quaker preacher of wide renown and visited Ambrose at Noyna in 1690 and on later occasions. By this time the Quakers were very numerous in North East Lancashire and John was also visiting Friends in Skipton, Colne, Trawden and Marsden.

The exact date when Ambrose settled in Colne after his marriage has not been ascertained but he lived variously at Noyna Hall, Foulridge and in Colne itself, at Colne Hall. Two years before his death Ambrose moved back to Colne and felt moved to write in his memoranda book; ‘We removed from Noyna to Colne to dwell there. The Lord bless, preserve and prosper us! Amen.’ However, for the most part in the papers of the Barcroft family he is referred to as of Colne Hall. This building, demolished in 1867 stood on a site in our present Albert Road, opposite to the Post Office. Until the death of Ambrose, Thomas (1652 to 1732) his only son, lived at Foulridge Hall but afterwards is referred to as of Noyna until his death. Ambrose left no will but in April 1693 Thomas was appointed administrator of the Estate of Ambrose Barcroft (Filed at the Prerogative Court of York) and later, in 1696, Thomas was bound under a Tuition Bond to ‘Well and thoroughly educate and bring up Ambrose Barcroft (1681 to 1724) – natural and lawful son of Thomas Barcroft above bounden…’ Thomas is meticulously careful in his record of expenses incurred in the education of his son and even enters his son’s board, not to mention that of his horses, when young Ambrose is at home from school. This concern for accuracy led to some trouble for in 1699 Thomas enters in his accounts ‘Paid, 3rd of December to Sir Christopher Greenfield for drawing a bill in Chancery against Henry Wolton [sic] who will allow nothing for my son’s maintenance, £1-10-0.

This memoranda book is illuminating upon many aspects of late seventeenth century life – private banking, the beginnings of the manufacture of an improved woollen cloth and the domestic arrangements of a middle class household.

Ambrose emerges as a meticulous recorder of his minor as well as of his major concerns. Though his education at Colne Grammar School does not seem to have been over-successful so far as his handwriting is concerned, he certainly grew up with an acute business sense, a scrupulous devotion to his public duties and a highly developed interest in all aspects of local and national affairs. His numerous quotations from the title pages of books and his zealous copying out of such pages of books as interest him attest to his wide and lively interests. This memoranda Book is not the first which he kept as a search through other of the Browsholme Muniments in the Record Office has unearthed a page from one of some twenty years earlier, this amongst papers dealing with the original Foulridge Corn Mill which was largely owned by the Barcrofts. The accounts of this mill which Ambrose and later Thomas kept provide further evidence of their excellent book-keeping as of their punctiliousness.

In the remote, hilly and barely inviting salient of Lancashire into Yorkshire which coincides with the Parish of Colne, no other family has left such a wealth of records from this period and few can have enlivened the interest and admiration of posterity.

The memoranda Book of Ambrose Barcroft.

[Page one, top half, page torn off along the top]

3d per pound but to abate 1/-. Note the [illegible] so I paid £2-0-0
Broad bulld at Henry Bauldwaines 40 week 12 October next.
[SG note. 40 week gestation for this bulling gives a current date of 6 January 1688/89]
Paid John Emmott 18/- for 15/- so he owes me 3/-. 30 shave [sheaves] threshed.
Bonds to Mr Denham as foll[ows]

Mr Swire Esq. [sic] 21th Jan £315
Mr R Trueman 1 April 53
James Driver Esq. 8 March 53
James Varley 14 May 20-12-0
Wm. Sagar Esq. 1 June 31-16-0
Jo. Bannister 6 June 103
My Selfe 6 June 51-10-0
James Hargreaves Esq. [illegible] 106
Peter Ormerode 23 July 103
Stephen Tillotson 30 May 90 20-12-0
Hugh Moon and Thomas Robinson 12 December 90 21-4-0
Jo. Lindlay Esq. 26 December 89 103
Mr Swire and Christopher Smith £105 the 18th March 1690.

1688/89
Feb 2.
Hired James Hartley for a yeare to come 1 April, wage 13/4. Note he was 10 or 12 days at home in beginning by reason of snow and bad weather.
Sent Nathan Scott for a month
March 4.
A pot of butter sold to Jonathan Tilling 5 stone 2 ½ lbs wool weight pot and all (yet brine may run out) at 3/8 per stone the butter.
March 5
Peas set
March 18
James Hartley came to be servant.
March 20th
Hongit calved an ox calfe.
20th.
Recd. formerly from sone B by John Barret 20/- and £1-11-7 for blue and red cloth for himself and his soldier and this day I paid him 8/5 being ye remainder.
22nd
I received of Richard Hargreaves last years rent for Miln: viz in money 8/6 and in assessment 1/6. I abated him for the last two years upon his complaint.
22nd
Chew calved an oxe calf.
27th
I paid Allan 2d towards 6 loads of lime I had last summer for middlings. I owe 3/-, could not change.
April 9th
Red cow bulled at Thos. Bauldwaines, 40 weeks 15th January 1689. Sent to Whiteing 15 scores of linn 12 leas of after hecklings and 70 leas of [page torn]
11th
James Hartley (my servant) brought his cow which I am to keep a year. So I ask 40/- and he speaks of 30/- but I intend to take what I shall learn to be the compass of moderation and not otherwise.
-----------------------------
…… agreed with Jonas Pickles to graze all between the further Craggs on Noyna: to graze before Midsummer 2/3 if he can, however, half at least and all the rest before the 4th of August. I am to pay 1 ½d per rood and to give somewhat more for the money part if I ….. to cause for it.
Hongit sent to be fed with William King of Stainton.
I paid to Margaret, wife of Law. Hargreaves of Car [Carr Hall] use for £40 due upon or about the first day of this month, being £2.
I paid Mr Ughtred Shuttleworth £4-16-0 for use of £80 of his, lent with £20 of mine to Mr Bradill (Note. I gave Mr Br. 5/- again but Mr Shutt. Bare no part of it) I also, about a fortnight since took a new bond of Mr Braddill for £100 to Mr Shuttleworth and Mr Shuttleworth paid me the 20/- in Mr Bradill’s bond; by so much he borroweth of Sarah Bulcock and which Sarah orders me in my owne hands out of the £2 received for her of R Boothman last Wednesday.
Note. I paid Sarah Bulcock of Whalley Abbey £29 viz £9 received a good while ago of R Trueman for use and £20 received on Wednesday of Richard Boothman for use.
Note. I had this £40 of his in my hand, viz. £20 received of R Trueman and £20 of Richard Boothman the one £20 Mr Shuttleworth gave bond for this day to Sarah and she ordered me to lend the other £20 to Edward Walker and David Browne.
Paid Greaves by James 12/- (the 14th June) then 7/- 18th of June to June 28th.
Mr Henry Shaw died. Buried 12th.
Thomas Bulcock of Mr Fossey’s shop the White Bell in Watling Street.

July (1689)
Cherry bulled at Henry Bauldwaine’s 40 weeks 20th April
Seven companies of Foot quartered in this parish. Foulridge has a company of Grenadiers and I had Lieutenant Fowl.
Six companies more (all 13 being R Castleton’s regiment) in this parish. Foulridge had one company and I had Lieutenant Lascelles and Ensign Lord and their servant.
6th.
A load of malt and another of wheat.
Cart loads of hay,[?] Little Ing – 7, Great Ing, 14. New Ing 13. River Ing 10. Great Flat Ings.
Broad bulled at H Bauldwaine’s 40 weeks 20th April.
Chew bulled at Henry Bauldwaine’s 40 weeks 4th May 1689/90
Sent by GJ to EA 4 pack cloths viz. 10-14-22-23.
---------------------
August 1689.
Received of H Hargreaves last Whitsunday rent for Tuggs [WS note: Tuggs Close, now known as ‘The Close’]
Chew bulled 2nd time at Henry Bauldwaine’s 40 weeks 15 May.
Paid N Hammond for M Wormall 8/- for his Colne tithe – present James Hartley [page torn] and Robert Cuthbert of Standred. [WS note: Standroyd, between Colne and Laneshawbridge]
Sent by Luke Hoyle to Mr Abraham Hall 3 bonds for Mr Denham (viz) One of Peter Ormerod (which Mr A W sent me last week and I now return to him) for £103 the 23rd July last (he being willing to continue it some time longer)
One [bond] of John Lindley; Edward Walker; James Cross and Miss Grimeshaw for £103 the 26th December next. And one of John Lambert, Ely John Petty and Richard Shackleton for £106 the 5th July 1690.

14th
John Hargreaves (Cob) died and was buried the 16th. [WS note: ‘Cob’, a by-name by which he was known, also appears in the Colne Burial Register, his residence being given as Moss House.]
22nd.
Sent 24 pack cloths into Lincolnshire viz 23 by Thomas Camshaw and one on Monday by Richard Boothman.

October 8th
John Holgate and I was at Altham sworne assessors of the tax of 12/-.
9. A load of malt.
12th
Sent a receipt (as formerly) to Mr Edward Dixon to be sent to Mr Francis Tomlinson for £15 to be received of Mr Prichet.
18th
Brand calved an oxe calfe.
25th {?}
Left of the piece of waste a yard and three quart and some better: and of the cloth cull’d almost 6 yards.
24th
John Holgate and I did deliver to the Commissions at Haslingden an assessment of 12d per £ upon the lands within Fenbridge which were valued at half according to a former high valuation but as lands are at present it was at 2/3 (at least) of the value. There was also some money assessed. All which came (in the whole) to £16-15-7.

November 9th
Received Sawley rent being £233, whereof I left at Henry Hargreaves £125 (viz, in one bag £60 in shillings and in another bag £65 in half-crowns and crowns. At James Tillotson’s £52. Brought home £29-16-0 and paid Law. Ridehalgh in full £26-10-0. In all as I said, £233.
Old ? sack weigheth almost 3 lbs of wool weight.
25th
Two Dutch Dragoons Shawick Davis and Bernard Shawick were quartered here this night and went away the next day.
Two treatises of Government. In the former the false principles of Sir R Filmer are debated etc. The later an essay concerning the true Originall of Government. Printed for Awnsham Churchill at Black Swan in Mary Lane by Amos Conor. I inquire who is the author of this (John Locke).

December 1689
Received by Robert Goodyear from Mr Dixon £15 which Mr Tomlinson had received of Mr Prichet for Bro. J T Diet etc till October 7th last.
------------------

Received of Robert [Cocket or Cockshot] 4 bushels of shilling [shelled oats] at 6/6 per bushel in part of what he owes me for wool. Note this was 6 strokes (12 pecks of corn) of meals or….
{SG note: Zupko’s Dictionary of Weights and Measures in the British Isles gives two measures that almost correspond. ‘Strike’ a measure that varied between ½ to 4 bushels, generally reckoned to contain 2 bushels and equal to ½ a coomb or ¼ of a quarter. ‘Stroak’ is probably another name for ‘strike’ {in the sense of striking the top of the measure flat} a measure of capacity in Northern England c.1800 containing two pecks or ½ a bushel. This corresponds with Wilfred’s translation of 6 ‘strokes’ equalling 12 pecks of corn.}

The Advantages of the present Settlement and the great danger of a Relapse. Sold by Richard Chiswell at the Rose and Crown in St Paul’s Churchyard.
The Character of a Trimmer etc. Sold by Richard Baldwin at the Black Bull in the Old Bayley.

13th
The swine lately bought at Gargrave – falling off from eating, wee killed her and she weighed about 220 lbs wool weight. [SG note: The term ‘wool weight’ was necessary to denote which system of measurement was being used, different trades had different standards. ‘Wool weight’ can be safely assumed to be a pound of 16 ounces.]
17th
We finished plowing of Lower Laughton field. John Fortt held plough. [WS note; This, as other fields named in the book, still bears the 17th century name.]
18th
I sent to Mr Abraham Hall by Luke Hoyle two bonds for Mr Denham viz: One of Stephen Tillotson for payment of £20-12-0 the 30th of May next. The other of Hugh Moore and Thomas Robinson for payment of £21-4-0 the 12th December 1690.
30th
Bargained with Richard Hartley Mason to get whelps set [WS note: ‘Whelps’ are vertically set stones as in an arch.] and to dress them and set the kiln at Carry Hey very well and I to pay him 20/- whereof I gave him 6d in earnest. I say paid him 6d the 8th January. Paid his son for him 2/-. 16th January paid him (besides a doubtful half-crown to get off it if he can) 6/6.

January 1689
8th
Memd. About 6 weeks ago I lent Coz. Robert Bulcock £60 and this day I received from Coz. John Bulcock by his man £51 in part thereof so there is £9 owing to me. Note I lodged this money in a canvas bag sealed at Coz. Henry Hargreaves where I also have £40 in another bag sealed – in all £91.
14th
[illegible] wool about 1/4th more than the 3 weights or scarce so much now.
16th
Broad bulled at H Bauldwaine’s – 40 weeks 24th October 1690.
17th
Red cow calved an oxe calf.
24th
Memd. Friday the 24th January 1689/90 my son Thomas his fourth son was born at Foulridge Hall a little before sun-rising and was baptised William [WS note: Emigrated to Virginia, living in 1728 in Mansemond County.] on Thursday the first day of February next after by Mr James Hargreaves Minister of Colne. The Lord give him grace to fear and serve him. Amen.
------------------

February
Wonderful predictions of Nostradamus, Gerbner, David Pareng and Antonius Torquatus – with a large preface by Will Attwood. Printed for J Robinson at the Golden Lyon in St Paul’s Churchyard, T Fox in Westminster Hall and M Wotton at the 3 daggers in Fleet Street.
7th
Susan had 6th good weight.
10th
Nelly had the half stone and Boscobell ? stone.

17th
Coz. Alice buried.
18th
38 cops of warp spun by Susan weigh 6 lbs. 94 cops of warp spun by Nelly weigh 7 lbs.
28th
Hired Christopher ? for a year, his wage £3-10-0. I gave him 6d in earnest, my wife present. Note, he is not to come till about 27th March.

March
Sent a bacon flitch to Brother Scott – it weighed 66 lbs avoirdupois.
7th
Had a load of malt.
10th
38 cops of warp spun by Bernard Hartley’s wife weigh 8 lbs. 73 cops of weft weighing 5 lbs spun by Nelly vizt. 167 cops of weft in all weighing 12 lbs good weight.
17th
Red cow bulled at Henry Bauldwaine’s – 40 weeks 23rd December 1690.
18th
Sent by Luke Hoyle to Mr Abraham Hall a bond whereby Mr Sam Swire and Christopher Smith stand bound in £200 for payment of 105 to Mr John Denham, March 18th 1690.
In the form of Prayer for the Fast 12th instant and 3rd Wednesday monthly and in morning prayer Psalms 62, 64, 144. First lesson 2nd Chronicles; chapter 20 to verse 31. Second lesson Luke 21, verse 5- 20. In evening prayer Psalms 46, 70,97. First lesson Isaiah 58. Second lesson 1 Cor[inthians] 10th chapter to verse 15.

April 1690
? calved a Why calfe the 17th.
7th
Mr Townley of Royle and Mr Brockhole gave me 3 guineas (vizt. For each of themselves one and one for Mr Lee, Mr Bradshaw not being willing to give) as an acknowledgement of gratitude for my faithful discharge of my Trust as Feofee in Coz. Barcroft’s lands.
13th
The assessments upon the Acts for 2/- and 1/- per pound within the 15 Townes of our Division vizt. Colne, Trawden, Haslingden, Marsden, Burnley cum Habergham Eave, Cliviger, Worsthorne, Briercliffe, Ightenhill Park, Heyhouse, Twiston, Worston, Downham, Pendle and Chatburn amounted to £602-9-1. as it was returned to the Head Collector, Receiver General, and into the Exchequer.
28th
Red cow bulled second time at Henry Bauldwaine’s 40 weeks about 3rd February 1690.

May 1690
5th
Ambrose went to Mr Christopher Smith at Colne Schools. The Lord Bless Him!
6th
Received Sawley rent being £225 whereof I lodged at Henry Hargreaves two bags (£50 each and crowns and half-crowns) At Jonathan Tillotson’s two bags vizt. £50 in one and £46 in another bag (mixt money) and brought home £29 mixt money.
7th and 8th
I took the said two bags from Jonathan Tillotson’s.
12th
Chew calved an oxe calfe.
13th
Alice Baxter came to be servant.
15th
Received by John Robinson from Mr Edward Dixon £15 received or to be received by Mr Francis Tomlinson pf Mr Prichet for brother J.T. till 7th April last.
17th
Brand calved a Why calfe.
16th
Coz. John Thompson (son of Bro. Sr. Henry Thompson) died and buried the 18th.
27th
lodged at Coz. Blakey’s a Bagg having in it £143-10-6 vizt. £80 in money and £63-10-6 in gold. There is of mine at Henry Hargreaves two bags each of them £50 – besides £28 I have with him to be sent by Thomas Barnshaw into Bishopwick.
28th.
I went to York with my wife to visit friends.

June
5th
Received of William Tillotson 9/- being ½ years use due to Mr Richard Grimshaw for £15 lent upon bond to ditto Tillotson which I shall pay or send to Coz. Grimshaw so soon as I can – I say 9s. Note. I paid this 9/- to Mr N G the 16th July 90.
17th
I went to Otley to meet and bring home my wife from York.
19th
Jonathan Robinson paid me 4/- which was due to Coz. Martha Pease in February (as I take it) for interest of £120 – Note I sent her the value of my own money by Mr Edward Dixon at York Assizes.
Cherry bulled at R Andeton’s 40 weeks 19th March 1690.
-------------------

June 1690
22nd
I reckoned with Jonathan Robinson and paid him for works in full to this day 42/7 ½ , vizt. 40 shillings I lent him 18th July 1689 and 2/7 ½ I allowed. Received of 12/- he owes for use of £10 due 13th May last. So he still owes for use 9s and 4 ½ d .
22nd
Brand bulled at R Andeton’s 40 weeks 29th March 1691.
23rd
Received of Coz. Henry Hargreaves Whits[un] rent for Tuggs but gave him again 1/-.
27th
Chew bulled at Henry Bauldwaine’s 40 weeks 4th April 1691.
29th
Barred Why bulled at R Andeton’s 40 weeks 6th April 1691.
[July]
2nd
Cherry bulled 2nd time at Rich [Andeton’s] 40 weeks 8th April 1691.
2nd
A load of malt and a load of wheat. Note had malt about ten days ago.
2nd and 3rd
Mr James Foulds and I received upon Mr Leo Egerton’s request the second quarterly payment of the Assessment of 3/- in the pound and the 1/3 paid. The same to Mr Egerton.
9th
Cart loads of hay. Little Ing, 7. Great, 13 (but quantities of 14) New Ing, 14. Driven Ing, 11. Great Flat Ing, 7.
14th July (90)
Brand bulled second time at Richard’s (Andeton) 40 weeks 20th April 1691.
16th July
Christopher Bauldwaine paid me 36/- for William Sagar which I paid to Mr Denham last year but one for use of £30 owing to him by William Sagar.
18th
Barred Whye bulled 2nd time at Richard’s 40 weeks 25th April 1691.
21st
Cherry bulled 3rd time at Henry Bauldwaine’s 40 weeks 29 April 1691.
22nd
Received of Coz. Henry Hargreaves 3/- in pt. Of 9/- he received of bad money in the £19-19-6 he received of me lately of Mrs Bank’s servant.
27th
Paid Miller of Bradley Mill 12/6 for 10 pecks of dryed oats I had off him about December last but I entered it not in Book of Expenses because at 1st January last I set apart money for discharge of it.

A Modest Enquiry into the causes of the present Disasters in England etc. Printed for Richard Bauldwaine in the Old Bailey.
A new Relation of the Cruelties and Barbarities of the French upon English Prisoners of War. Being a journal of their travels from Dinan in Brittany to Thoulas in Provence And back again. By Richard Stratton. Printed for the said Richard Bauldwaine . Killing no Murder.

August
4th
My wife hath 90 leas of yarns at Whiteing with Ellen Turner.
5th
Mary Walton Widow of Great Marsden (Henry Walton mother) died the 5th and buried 8th instant.
11th
Paid Nicholas Higson for four waste [coats] £8 Vizt. For 2 bought 4 June and 2 bought 2nd of July namely by Whit. Rent £3-10-0 and in money today £4-10-0.
------------------

August 1690
12th
Memd. I paid my son Thomas 6/- in full of all odd Reckoning between us (Save that I owe him) by his value to my wife by his order being part of the money that Elizabeth owed my wife for flax.
Note. Account on table in Study.
20th
Compounded with Mr Richard Hamond for son Thomas Tithe for 23/- in the hearing of Mr Hargreaves.

September
4th
This day I examined Jonathan Robinson’s book and the work he hath done for me since 21st June last comes to 3/3 ½ and he owing to me upon the said 21st June 9/4 ½ as appears by the Memorandum of that date in this book. He now owes me this day 6/1.
29th
Received of Anne, James Hartley’s wife, this year’s rent for Slack, 29/-.
22nd
William Rushton made me a new pair of wheels.

October
6th
My coz. John Barcroft [WS note: The celebrated Quaker preacher (c.1663-1723) (and Elizabeth his wife) of Ballimaran in King’s County Ireland came to my house and went towards Ireland the 13th instant. The Lord give them a happy voyage. My uncle William Barcroft and my aunt live at Drumcook in the same County (about 3 miles from Ballimaran) with Jane Barcroft my coz. Ambrose, his widow, who hath 5 children by him namely Ambrose, William, Thomas, Ellen and Alice. My coz. John hath only one daughter named Mary, having buried two children.
14th
I Paid at Carlton to Mr Lambert of Calton £392-10-0 which with £107-10 that he did owe to Mr Denham upon a bond (Dated 22nd June 1689) for £200 with condition to pay £106 5th July last and it being about 3 months since comes to 30/-, in all £107-10-0. Which with the £392-10 I paid him makes £500 for which he, Mr Pudsey, and Mr Lister gave a bond for £1000 with condition for payment of £525 to Mr Denham the 15th October 1692.
17th
Bernard Hartley of Bent, Executor to Jo. Hargreaves (Cob) paid me 5/- for A.B. which the said Jo. Hargreaves gave him by his will.
17th
This day Richard Hargreaves of Foulridge paid me the last year’s rent (1689) for my part and Richard Hargreaves of Morss [Moss Houses?] part of the Milne 9/5 ¼ d vizt. I had 30 thrave (24 sheaves) of straw last winter at 3d per thrave is 7/6 and he paid me half the account but complaining that he had a hard bargain of it I returned him 6 ¾ d.
[WS note: Moss Houses is a hamlet about ½ a mile east of Noyna.]
20th
Coz. John Barcroft sent Coz. Thomas Bulcock from Liverpool a black mare he bought at London, but having hurt her back much and could neither sell her at Liverpool nor take her for Ireland. (because of £5 customs) he expects (as TB told me) that I would give him £4 for her by reason of some accidental discourse about her, saying she was not fit for me and he would take her to Ireland. Hereupon I received her and this day (21st October) sold her to James Tattersall [WS note: Tattersall’s of Newmarket originated at Burnley.] and could not get a penny more he seriously affirming that he had [lighter] pennyworths offered to him and I could not hear of any that wanted to buy but a number exceeding desirous to sell. So that I knew not how to dispose her better.
22nd
Lent Thos Bulcock 4 books- Zarrentor’s history of Portugal; Rebellion of Ireland; and History of Desertion.
About 13th instant
A load of malt forgot to be inserted in due time and place.
31st
Broad or Cocket calved an oxe calf.

November 1690
1st
Six pounds of candles bought, some in the house at the same time.
3rd
A B began to write with Mr Edward Kippax.
3rd
Killed our beef. A cow bought of Robert Watson of Thornton at Mich.
5th
Sent to Bro. Scott by William Midgely 29/10 for 2 cwt 0 quarters 4 lb of iron, bought of one Mr William Stephenson lately, for ironing a pair of wheels. My wife also sent him 44/- for 8 stone of kirtle Flax Sister Scott sent her lately to sell. And this was all she could make of it and that with much adoe (being mean stuff) and yet she paid 6d for carrier from Skipton besides.
5th
Last Monday (3rd instant) I sent by G Taylor to John Atkinson of Bradford, carrier, to be forwarded to Mr John Denham a Bond that John Lambert of Calton, Ambrose Pudsey of Bolton Hall and Thomas Lister of Arnold Biggin Esq., sealed etc. for the use of Mr Denham. It’s dated the 14th October last, is in £1000 with condition to pay £525 the 15th October 1691 to Mr Denham.
5th
Last Saturday (1st Instant) I had of Robert Cocket 5 bushels of shilling at 6/- per bushel which was neare 2 loads of meale.
10th
I lodged at Coz Henry Hargreaves of Sawley rent sum of £40 in shillings.
10th
I received a letter by a Liverpool carrier from Coz. John Barcroft dated 21st October last. It was sent to Mr William Hurst near Black Horse in Liverpool.
20th
Thomas Trueman paid me 10/ ½ d saying his brother Robert will pay me as much for their part of last Mich. Coalmine rent.
About 10th instant Martin Dickinson at my request sent to his brother John Dickinson 5 white halfthicks of mine (bought of Thomas Leigh at 36/- in June and now with dressing, sealing etc stand me to above 37/6 per piece. And I writ to John Dickinson desiring him to sell them for me as soon and as well as he can, they now about 26 yards long.
21st
Mrs Frances Trueman owes me 7/6 which I returned as she had not to change it.
24th
I sent to Mr Denham a Bill of Execution of John Morell’s dated 19th for £4-18-8 pay to Mr Denham.
26th
Paid Mr N Hammond 6d which I promised him for my son’s tithes (above 22/6 himself is to pay) Present Mr James Foulds and Joe Farrar at same time paid him 5/- for James Emmott tithe and 6d for my own.
26th
Received from Mr Dixon by Mr Haworth which Mr Dixon had received from Mr Tomlinson who had received it of Me Prichet 15th. Due 7th October last, sent to Mr Haworth 4/- to be paid by Mr Dixon to Henry Watson for carriage of iron.

December 1690
6th
I was taken with a fit of colick and gravel which continued a night and a day and then it pleased God to give me ease.
15th
E.T Coz ill.

January 1690/1
12th
A B went to Schools, pay AG from this day. [WS note: Ambrose Barcroft 1681-1724) emigrant to Pennsylvania, drowned in Delaware River.]
14th
Paid Robert Cocket for 2 bushel dust had last year which he saith I have not paid for, 1/-.
14th
Bought of Thomas Driver of Law a flitch of bacon (green) which weighed 73 lbs wool weight at 3d per lb. 18/6.
22nd
Mr George Goodgen paid me 7/- I lent him at Lancaster last Assizes.
22nd
Jonathan Robinson shod me 4 [oxen?] and 2 of my sons.
21st
Thos day I paid George Taylor 6/5 in full of my halfe for all Gazets owing for (Coz. Blakey being to pay as much) vizt. For 77 beginning with 2549 and for 1626 so we begin with 2627. Note we have paid as if there had not been one Gazet wanting though perhaps some might have been lost or etc at Bradford and so we had them not. We purpose to count carefully the Gazets in our hands and if any be wanting to pay G T for so many fewer hereafter. [WS note: It is possible that these ‘Gazets’ came through Benjamin Bartlett a Quaker bookseller of Bradford (Quakers in Science and Industry. Dr A Raistrick, page 281)]
26th
This day Thomas Speake came to work with me and I lent him 4/- which is to be earned by work or else repaid to me.
27th
This day I read a letter from Coz. John Barcroft dated 10th instant in Dublin desiring me to cause £3-10-0 to be paid to Mr Haughton for his mare having sent a receipt which will be [illegible] upon payment. However I desired Edm. Waterhouse to request his brother in law Mr William Hurst to pay that sum and to take the said receipt and send it to me and then I’d pay the money to ditto, Edm. I received at the same time a letter from my Uncle William Barcroft but without date yet sure to be of the same date.
28th
This day I paid to Edmund Waterhouse £3-10-0 the value he promiseth to pay to his brother in law Mr William Hurst of Liverpool and to procure that the said Mr Hurst does pay it to Mr Haughton in £3-10-0 full for Cozen’s receipt, I say paid.

February 1690/91
3rd
Jona: red cow calved a whye calfe.
7th
A load of malt.
11th.
Bought of Henry Parker a flitch of green bacon weighing 98 lbs wool weight at 3d per lb is £1-4-6. Note my wife took out a spare rib which I suppose weighed 5 or 6 or 7 lbs.

February 1690/91
12th
This day I had about 12 stroke of meale coming of a 8 bushels of shilling bought of James Hartley of Salterforth and for which I paid him by account 48/-.
14th
Ambrose went from us to Foulridge Hall.
18th
View over Colne too [illegible]
18TH
paid Anne Smith for AB diet from 12 January to 15th instant being five weeks, 2/6.
19th
Bought of William Taylor of Kelbrook a flitch of bacon weighing about 68 lbs (wool weight) dry. Note, the 20th I sent to Bro. Scott 68 lbs or better avoirdupois of this bacon together with 9 packs of meals. Paid WT for it £1-1-0.
26th
Broad bulled at H Bauldwaine’s 40 weeks, 3rd December.

March 1690/91
5th
I went to Whalley to meet Mr Walker of Hungerhill and James Crosse expecting Mr Denham’s money would have been paid but it was put off.
17th
Paid James Browne of Thornton by the value to 2 coals lads that brought 5 loads of lime 1/-. Note he owed me when he left off bringing lime last year 25/6 or 51 loads of lime, but the lime he bringt being new that he brings I must pay somewhat more than 6d per load otherwise with the 1/- he would owe 53 loads.
20/21st
I went to Preston with Christopher Bauldwaine and prevailed with Mr Patten the croft called Two Penny Rent below Buckbank [WS note: A field immediately below Waterside in Colne] together with the buildings that Henry Bauldwaine (his father) and himself have erected and are erecting therein for 3 lives or 31 years at I believe under 6/8 rent per annum. Also I agreed with Mr Patten to have the house in the lower end of Colne [WS note: This house was Colne Hall in which Ambrose Barcroft lived intermittently] wherein Jonathan Trueman lately dwelt with the kitchen, barn and part of Hall Hill therewith , usually occupied for 7, 8, 9 or ten years as I pleased under £4 rent per annum (If my wife be therewith content) Mr Patten to bear all assessments whatsoever.
24th
Had from James Browne of Thornton 42 loads of lime vizt. 41 set upon the plowed in Slack and 1 load for house use. Note, he owed me a greater number of loads which I should have had last year at 6d per load but now allowing him 7d per load and he affirming there was not so much lime due to me as I reckoned. It comes that I have fewer loads but now we are clear.
24th
John Parker took Turne out of a red Twinter heifer bought when a calf of Roger Hartley of Foulridge.
28th
At night J Speake hath been 23 days vizt 7 when he held plough at 4d and 16 at 3d is 6/4. And he had of me 8/-,(21) 2 days more at 8d.
A plain and Easy method for preserving those that are well from the infection of the plague etc by Dr Willis sold by W Crooke at the Green Dragon without Temple Bar. In Octavo price bound 12d.
30th
Robert Emmott came this morning to be with me a few weeks.

April 1691
2nd
This day (Thursday) Mary Robinson came to be our servant for a year.
7th
Chew calved an oxe calfe.
7th
I weighed 37 copps of warp yarn that is in a basket which was spun by the lasses and it is 7 ½ lbs (There are 18 copps more weighing 5 ½ lbs spun by James Emmott wife.)
12th
Jonathan Robinson paid me 7/4 for use of £120 of Coz. Martha Pease, this should have been paid about 6 or 7 weeks ago and I have it paid to Coz. Martha Pease (Now Douglas) some weeks since as per a Memd among papers concerning her and Coz. Mary Pease.
15th
William Banks paid me 40/- for 20 stooks of Seed Oats.
20th
4 ¼ lbs of dighted (cleaned) weft fleece wool I intend to send to Joseph Atkinson who will give me as much skein wool for it.
27th
This day 26 loads of coals in Kitchin at Colne, only some few used in these days past.
28th
7 ½ lbs of weft being 56 copps spun by Bert. Hartley’s wife

[WS note: Here the page is double ruled across its entire width.]

May 1692. The Lord bless me and mine.
1st
I sent to Thomas Greenwood (to Mr Abraham Hall which James Driver and Robert Midgely sealed for payment) of £53 to Mr Denham 8th March 1692 and delivered in to James his former bond which he and Bet. Driver entered into for that sum due to Mr Denham which bond I received lately from Abraham Hall.
7th
We removed from Noynor to Colne to dwell there. The Lord Blesse and Preserve us! Amen.
9th
put our two cows into South Fields and the rest did next day, only Mr Trueman not till 11th.
15th
I took a bond of Mr John Blackburne of Fryerhead [SG note: Friars Head is a large farm near Eshton to the NW] and William Rakes of Eshton for payment of £106 to Coz. Mary Pease 15th May 1692 and 19th I sent this bond to her by Mrs Dorothy Hill with £2-19-0 received of R Trueman for use of her £200 since 18th February. Note, he gave em £3 but I returned him 1/-.
20th
Leeming bulled at H Bauldwaine’s 40 weeks 25 or 26 February next.
27th
Load of malt.
28th
At Robert Hargreaves of Barrowford, son of Coz. Robert Hargreaves of Carryhey his request I paid to John Waterhouse and he immediately paid to RH £20 part of £52-4-0 due to him of the 8th given by Aunt Whalley. And JW promised before Landlady Tillotson to repay me the said £20 if the said RH does not give me an acqittance for it when he comes to 21 years of age.

June 1691
8th
Received of John Waterhouse from Mr Dixon which Francis Thomlinson received some time back from Mr Prichet upon my receipt sent about 10th April for Brother J T. I got use from October 7th till 7th April Sum of £15.
9th
Leeming bulled 2nd time at Henry Bauldwaine 40 weeks 17th March next.

Memoirs Relating to the State of the Royall Navy of England, for ten years determined December 1688. Writ by Mr Sam. Pepys Secretary of ye Admiralty of England. Sold by Sam. Kible at the Green Turk Head in Fleet Street.

An Abstract of the State of the Royall Navy of England upon the 18th day of December 1688.

Rate Shipps Men Guns
1 9 6705 878
2 11 7010 974
3 39 16545 2640
4 41 9480 1908
5 2 260 60
6 6 420 90

Bombers 3 120 34
Fireships 26 905 213
Hoze 6 22
Hulk 8 50
Ketches 3 115 24
Smack 5 18
Yachts 14 353 104

173 42003 6930

Of these, at see or going forth 92; repaired 66; under repair 8; to be repaired 4; Newly come in from see 4. (Mr Sam. Pepys.)

A List of the Forces for the yeare 1692.
Horse, 144, Troops 8702 men, pay per annum £605,202-14-10
Dragoons, 7 Regiments, 52 troops; 3440 men. £142,808-18-0
Foot. 881 Companys, 59054 men £1194,939-13-8
Totall 71,196 £1,942,850-13-8

Note a Regiment of Horse consists ordinarily of 6 troops and 300 men their pay £20,634-13-4 per annum. Some Regiments have more troops and men and some have fewer of both.
A regiment of Dragoons consists ordinarily of 6 troops and 360 men; their pay £15,999-3-4 per annum. Several Regiments have more Troops and more men.
A Regiment of Foot consists ordinarily of 13 Companys and 780 men; their pay £16,145-3-4 per annum.
Horse Troops of Guards have 260 men each for the most part and more pay than other Horses have. Vizt. 260 men have £21,921-5-10. And the Foot Regiments of Guards also have more pay than other Foot. Vizt. 2140 men have £48,030-19-2 per annum.

I question whether this be a true List not being said to be published by Authority.

June 1691
17th
Memd. James Blakey of Lens Head my co-Feoffee about the cottages within Colne being dead, I desired Mr Grantham (the Steward) and the Jury that two new feoffees might be chosen whereupon Christopher Smith of Edge and John Holgate of Hill End were made choice of with their owne free consent.
19th
Upon Mr Hargreaves of Hall’s request I writ a letter this day to the Arch Bishop of Canterbury (but much against my mind in regard it is unfit (I conceive) for me to write to so great a person, though my ancient acquaintance, and Lesson-fellow at Colne Schools for several years) humbly desiring his recommendation of Mr James Hargreaves Vicar of Naffarton in Yorkshire, son of the said Mr Hargreaves of Hall, (our Minister), to the Lords Common of the Great Seals for the Parsonage of Thwing near Naffarton which is in their donation and now vacant by the death of the late Incumbent. [WS note: Enquiry at Naffarton has proved this request to have been fruitless.]
20th
Received of Henry Hargreaves last Whitsunday Rent for Tuggs 16/- abating him 8d because he lodges money for me some times. I say 16/-.
27th
A load of wheat bought at Skipton. Cost with carriage [no amount]
24th
Richard Boothman went for Lincolnshire this day to buy wool for me etc. by whom I sent £156 as is said to be in the Book of Wool Bought – the 30th Lawr. Spencer the Carrier went after him with two horses and took 15 pack cloths of mine.
30th
Ellen Emmott came this Tuesday towards night.

July 1691
1st
Received of Coz. Hargreaves of Foulridge; by his wife, for the rent of my part and of Richard Hargreaves of Moss of his part of Foulridge Mill (being ¼ part) for the yeare 1690 (ending as to this rent at Mich. Last) sum of 8/6. Note; the rent is 10/- but he complaining that he had a hard bargain of it I abated 18d.
3rd
There was 24 yards of the 8 pieces of Ash-wood brought by G Manly for Rails etc. for stairs and 24 yards in length measured by Law. Leigh who saith 2d a yard is enough and that I should rather have some abated of that because the Railes were too thick (inch bords being fitter) which caused more pain and some losses.
4th
Memd. This day (Saturday) I agreed with John Lacock to [?trim] me once a week and I to pay him 18d a quarter and note I paid him now in hand 6d in part and so must pay 1/- more at quarter end – if it pleases God.
16th
Memd. I sent 15 pack cloths of my owne by RB into Lincolnshire about three weeks since 9 of which are already come back with wool and 6 remains there. And now I send by him 20 cloths being 10 of my owne (3 of which are of the 9 which comed back) 2 of Law. Ridehalgh, 1 marked LR red cloth, 3 of Roger Hartley (Slack) 1 RH red cloth, 1 RH ink and 1 RH red cloth with RHEO ink on the other side and 3 of James Tatt, 2 GT and one IT red L, and 2 of Henry Bests.
--------------------

July 1691
15th
Sent by Richard Boothman to pay for wool bought for me in Lincolnshire £70 vizt. 22 Guineas and a half Guinea is £24-3-9 [£23-12-6 by my reckoning. SG note.] and in silver money £45-16-3.
15th
Brother J T begun in his distemper.
26th
(Monday) Alice Tustall came.
30th
Sent into Lincolnshire by Lawrence Spencer 3 pack cloths for 3 packs of Mr Bonner’s wool vizt. 1 AB 15, 1 FO red, 1 of my owne.
30th
Received of Peter Nelson for hay grasses in the slack 5/-

August 1691.
4th
I went to Mearley and paid to my sister [WS note: Margaret born 1635 married Robert Bulcock of Rainsholme 1660] £6-12-0 being in full of all whatsoever money I have received for her or did owe unto her, and she gave me a Receipt in full accordingly. The said £6-12-0 was for 12/- I received for her of John Spencer of Foulridge for use of £10; and £6 was use for £50 Richard Boothman owe, the first £3 due in May 1689, the other £3 for use due in May 1690, and he owes her for £3 for use due in May last.
6th
I received of Hugh Moore and Thomas Robinson £21-19-0 in discharge of their bond for £20 dated 11th December 1689, the interest for the time being a year and almost 8 months comes to about £1-19-8 but I abated the 8d. Note; I answered to Mr Denham’s account a good while agoe 24/- for a yeares interest, which therefore I must take out of this money to my selfe. Note also their bond not being comed to me from Mr Abraham Hall they left the money sealed with those of their own seals with me, I promising to deliver them the Bond shortly or else the money. Present Robert Houghton. Note. I gave Hugh Moore the Bond August 12th 1691.
13th. Thursday
Catharine Hemwell came to be a servant.
19th
Sent by Henry Frankland and Lawrence Spencer 6 pack cloths into Lincolnshire for wool.
26th
Paid John Holgate (Block) toward stores had and to have of him. 5/-. Paid him more 21st October 1691, 5/-. 6th November paid him in full, 2/-.
31st
A load of malt.
31st.
Memd. There are two packs in wooll chamber at Noyner, both of Hemenby and that which lieth at East end on back of portell is of the Minister’s wooll. 6 Packs more were carried thither last Saturday (29th) vizt. Two of Scambelsby (vizt. No. 22 and 10) The other 4 of Bilsford.
Memd. In the Slack 172 Hattocks (shooks of corn) 17 Hattocks set out for tythe by John Farrar the 29th instant. [SG note: Zupko says that a Hattock was a Northern England term for quantity and was a shook of 12 sheaves]

September 1691.
4th
Memd. In Lower Lachton Field 180 Hattocks, 18 hattocks set out for tithe this day by James Beardsworth, John Farrar’s servant.
17th
This day Roger Hartley (Slack) paid me 49/- (I abating him 2/-) for his rent for Noynar Fold this yeare 1691.
21st
Having sent into Lincolnshire this summer several times as appears before in this book 44 pack cloths, I send this day by RB 9 more, in all 53. I have already 43 packs come and have 10 to come.
19th
This day at night Mr John Denham departed this life. I have been in Partnership and otherwise concerned in trade with him, (having bought wastes etc. for him a good long time.) about eight and thirty years. He was (as I believe) a very just and religious man.
24th
My 2 kine put into Coz. John Blakey Fog [WS note; pasture. SG note: More accurately ‘Fog’ is the short sweet aftermath which grows after hay harvest. It would also grow in corn fields after harvest. Regarded as a valuable crop in this area] on Colne Field, he proposing it (in regard he put his owne in the same time) though I might have let them in South Black Stubb Heys till Michaelmas. [WS note: Field now built over by Derby and Stanley Streets {below Town Hall} By the end of the 19th century this name had degenerated to ‘Blascomay’]

October 1691
7th
Colne court began. I Foreman of Grand Jury.
6th
This day I paid John Lacock for trimming 18d vizt. 1/- in full of last quarter ending Saturday last 3rd instant (having paid 6d at beginning 4th July) and 6d towards ye present quarter.
13th
Thomas Bulcock and Robert came hither and stayd with us 2 days. Robert being shortly for Virginia the third time.
20th
I lent George Manley and paid it to his son 4/-.
22nd.
Christopher Smith of Edge paid me £3-10-0 for use of £60 secured by a surrender of certain lands (in Mr James Fould’s hands) and due 15th instant, I returning him 2/- of £3-12-0 I say £3-10-0.

November 1691
3rd
Received by Henry Hartley and from Skipton by John Robinson a little Runlet of Apricock wine. Sent by my Ladie Thomson to my wife.
4th
Colne Court, adjourned from 7th October to this day, was accordingly held this day and further adjourned to 10th February next.
4th
John Emmot paid me for Stubble Fogg in Slack and Lower Lachton Field till Caud (cold) next, 8/-.
9th
A load of malt. 9 of (illegible) of malt.
18th
Received of Henry Hargreaves last Mart. (Martinmas) Rent for Lower Tuggs (abateing him 14d) 15/6.

18th
Received of Thomas Driver of Noyno and for a pair of oxen of mine sold him by James Tattersall (which were bought at our Mich. Fair of John Tillotson of Surgill and cost £9-10-0) about 3 weeks after Mich. Sum of £9-18-6.
23rd
Received by R.G. from Mr Dixon £15 received by Mr Thomlinson of Mr Prichet for Brother J.T.
25th
Received from Mr Charles Wilkinson, Mr Townley of Townley his last Mich. Coal rent £1-0-1 and 28th October of L.R. Roile (Royle) coal rent etc. £1-0-1.
26th
A day of Thanksgiving for the King’s preservation the last campaign and safe returned and for reducing Jutland. Likewise my Birthday as I have been informed.
--------------------

December 1692.
7th
My wife sold an old great pan to Robert Boys for 26/10 which she gave me to keep till she can buy another pan.

Copy of a certificate for Buriall in Woollens.
L.L. of M. in the Parish of Colne and County of Lancaster, Carpenter, maketh oath that the bodie of Mr R. deceased not eight days since was not put in, wrapt, wound up or buryed in any shift, sheet or shroud made or mingled with any hemp, flax, silke, hair, gold or silver or any other thing but sheep’s wooll only; Nor put into any coffin lined or faced with any cloth or stuff or any other thing whatsoever made or mingled with any hemp, flax, silke, hair, gold or silver or any other thing but sheep’s wooll only; according to an Act of Parliament entitled An Act for Burying in Woollens, dated the …………… day of January 1691.
Sealed and subscribed by us who were present and witness to the swearing of the Affidavit.
Predicte Laurentius juratus die annoques pedictus coram me.

January 1691/92
The eleventh day of January 1691/92 between nine and ten of the clock at night, my deare wife departed this life and was buryed the fourteenth day in the chancel neere the side of Mr Townley’s quire. The Lord Bless, guide, comfort and help me! And make me ever mindful of her virtue!! She was borne June 29th 1631 and lived sixty years, six months and thirteen days.
22nd
Broad bulled at Henry Bauldwaine’s 40 weeks 31st October next.
4th
Received of Henry Blakey in part of £8 he owes on Bond and Interest. Sum £4. Note Jennet Proctor came to tend my wife on Sunday the Second day of January 1691/92 and my sister came the 14th day pf January 1691/92.
26th
Memd. I weighed a bacon flitch this day senight to be sent to Brother Scott (but could not be got away till this day); it weighed 76 lbs with the sacks and that weighed about 3 lbs so the flitch weighed about 73 lbs avoirdupois. It was sent hence by John Robinson to be carryd by Henry Watson to Brother Scott.

April 1692
1st
This morning there was fallen a thick snow.
4th
A load of malt.
18th
Having lately sold all my Oats of last year’s growth at Noyna to James Tatersall for £7, he paid me this day £6-1-6 and Jonathan Tillotson oweing him for 9 peck at 13d per peck and for 9 peck at 12d which is 18/9 he orders me to receive this of James, to make up the £7 which I am content to do. Note also I sent to James 10/- to be paid to his son John and Robert Emot for thrashing and dighting about 19 sacks.
22nd April 1692
Memd. 15th May 1691 I lent of Coz. Mary Pease money to Mr John Blackburn of Fryerhead (as it is said in the month of May 1691 in this book) and took a bond of him and Mr Rakes of Eshton for payment of £106 the 15th May 1692. But he desireing to pay in the money now I, by advice of Mr Grandorge (?) , and I accept it and it wanting between three weeks and a month of a yeare did abate for a month, receiving £105-10-0 of which I also paid 18/- which was spent on this occasion by him, Mr Grandorge and myself. So I have let upon interest for her £100. I must send her £5-8-6 interest, as I must also send £6 due in May for the £100 lent Richard Boothman.

May 1692
4th
My mare horsed by James Hartley’s horse. Paid in hand 18d and to pay as much when she shall have a foal.
I sent by G Taylor to be carried by Richard Eastwood to Mr William Douglas £13-8-0 vizt. £7-4-0, Jonathan Robinson’s interest for £120 last years, ending in February last. And £5-19-0 Jos. Crabtree’s interest for £100 a year ending 1st March last (Note, I short 1/- which was spent at receipt of this money) Note, copy of my letter of this date to Mr Douglas.
12th
Thomas Driver of Law paid me interest for £20 due 24th December last, £1-4-0.
13th
I paid Coz. Blakey for wintering my two cows vizt. From Mich. Till yesterday after 40/- a cow, but one of them being sold 25th February last (our new fair) he abated me for two months 11/- so I paid £3-9-0.
12th
This day I sent my two cows to grass with Mr Hargreaves.
14th
The 12th instant I disposed of my deare wife’s apparel and gave to my daughter Eliza [WS note: Strictly his daughter-in-law Elizabeth Leigh who married his son Thomas on 10th November 1679.] in Gownes, Mantas, Petticoats, Linnens, hudds, Scarfes, and other things to a very considerable value. I gave to Sister Bulcock a Silk Farrantine Manta Petticoat and divers other things at good value. To Jennet Proctor a Manta Petticoat and severall other things of good value. To Bet. Wilson a deal of woollen apparel and other things. To Mary, daughter of James Tattersall a Stuffe Petticoat pair of Cuffs and a pair of knit gloves. To Ellen Emmott, Ann Grimes and Nich. Whiteham’s wife etc. severall things.
May 1692. 24th
I sent by Coz. Mr James Hargreaves (Minister on the Wolds) to Brother Scott £6-9-0 vizt. £3-13-0 for Rings for Sr. H., his Lady and Bro. Scott; and for scarfs for Sisters Scott and Hewardine. I sent also by him to Coz. Mary Pease £11-8-6 according to Coppy of my letter to her of this date in pasteboard box.

June 1692.
Henry Walton and I were Godfathers and Attorney Hargreaves wife Godmother, to Charles, Mr John Bannister of Barrowford, his son. [WS note: Mr John Bannister was of Parkhill in Barrowford.]
Meditional Experiments etc. by the Hon. Rob. Boyle in Twelves, price 1/-.
Sent by ……… to Richard Boothman, now in Lincolnshire, 18 pack cloths vizt. Of my owne (marked A.B.) nos. 7-9-14-16-26-28-29-10-101-30-31-32-33-18-25. (15 cloths) and 1 R.B. blue cloth (being Jo. Tattersall’s which he let me have instead of one I lent him and which cannot be found at present) 2 E.V. in red cloths.

Anno 1692.
According to a printed List the English Fleet consisted of 63 Shipps for the Line of Battle (vizt. Besides Frigates, Fireships etc.) And the Dutch Fleet of 36 Shipps (besides etc.) The English fleet was 6 first rates, 10 second rates, 34 third rates, and 12 Fourth rates. Again there are 6 shipps of 100 guns each, 10 of 90 guns and upwards under 100, 3 of 80 guns, 24 of 70 guns and upwards under 80, 7 of 60 guns. In all 4,500 guns and 27,725 seamen. The shipps of 100 guns had about 780 men each, 90 guns about 680 men, 80 guns about ……. , 60 guns about 340 men, 50 guns about 250 men. Admiral Edward Russell Esq. Sir Ralph de la Val Vice Admiral of the Red Squadron, Sir Cloudesly Shovell Rear Admiral of ye same. Of the Blue Squadron, Sr. Jo. Ashby Adm., George Rook Vice, Rich. Carter Rear Admiral. The Dutch fleet 36 shipps, 12,950 men and 2494 men.

July 1692.
13th
It pleases the Lord to visit me with a most grievous fit of the stone and the gravel. The Lord restore me to health in thy own good time.
18th
A load of malt.
20th
Received from Mr Dixon by R.G. £15 which had been received of Sergeant Prichet by Mr Francis Thomlinson, being for Brother G.T. Dyet for 7th October last till 7th April last.
22nd
I set Great Flat Ings (that is the hay grass of them only) to James Tattersall for £1-6-3 (a deal too little ) I say £1-6-8.

14th October
With [illegible] 1 hour I paid 17/6.
25th
Sr. Henry Thomson of Middlethorp, my late wife’s brother, dyed and was buried on the 27th ditto.

September 1692
21st
Sent two pack cloths 28 and 26 by R.B. into Lincolnshire. Note, I have sent 18 in June and have received 12 packs so I shall now have 8 pack cloths there.

October 1692.
2nd
Paid for weaving 16 yards of Huckaback for Eliza, 4/-.
8th
Mr Edward Graves of Hemsworth 6 miles beyond Wakefield came to help me in reference to my distemper of Stone and Gravell and staid with me to the 12th at noon. And he procured me by his medicine and manuall operations to void 12 or 13 stones whereof 5 or 6 were large.
13th
Dr Lister to Mr Grandorge, for my life I cannot find any such glasse or Instrument in use, tho I have made great inquiries. A sponge in a bladder is the most usual remedy in that case.

November 1692.
16th
A load of malt.

January 1692/93
9th
This Monday A.B. began to learne with Mr Hargreaves. The Lord give good successe.

LAST OF DIARY ENTRIES MADE IN THIS HAND

6TH march
This day John began to learn with Mr Hargreaves and both Ambrose and John [John was baptised at Colne on 15th March 1683. Mr Hargreaves was incumbent and schoolmaster at Colne.] had their dinners 3 weeks before this time, I suppose, the 13th February 92 when they learnt with scrivener.
Memo.
The 4th Feb. 92 I paid my Coz. Mary Pease £104-10-0 due to her on Bond from my father. This money was paid John Blakey of Colne and he returned it to London by a Bill he procured from Mr Graham of Halifax payable to Madam Constantia Boynton the Lady she served.

My 5th son Robert was born on Tuesday the 21st November 1693 about two o’clock in the afternoon.

Received the 24th of December 1693 for the dyet etc. of my Uncle John Thomson from 7th October 92 till the 7th of April 93 the sum of £12 vizt. In money by John Waterhouse £9-9-10, £2-8-2 paid my Uncle Scott for flax and 2/- Mr Dixon deducted for postage of letters etc. Is in all £12-0-0.
Received the 10th of April 1694 by Mr Dixon of Skipton the sum of £12 for the dyet etc. of my uncle John Thomson from the 7th of April till the 7th of October 93, £12.
My son Thomas was born the 23rd of July about 4 aclock in the morning. [WS note: Thomas was living in Bradford in 1728.]

[SG note. My copy of the document finishes here. Some footnotes by WS were illegible or cut off on the copy]

Transcribed by SCG/30 January 2004
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: BARCROFT PAPERS

Post by Stanley »

Bumped
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice to see that it has been accessed 8 times since I bumped it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped again. This is important evidence about the early cloth trade and therefore essential knowledge about the history of Barlick.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Is he buying or selling wool in Lincolnshire?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think so Wendy. See entry for June 28 1691.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Research Topics”