Lamberts leaps and bounds

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Lamberts leaps and bounds

Post by PanBiker »

I have forwarded my family tree research filtering the hints on Ancestry. Robert, the Marsett mole catcher in his later life who had farmed in the area all his life used to be my oldest known relative although I had a name for his father from a snippet in a perished register that we found in Kendal record office a number of years ago. His name was John. I knew little else about John. Hints from other tree makers have yielded some bonuses. One of which is Rupert who is the son of my cousin Suzanne, my uncle Bill's daughter.

His research, with citations has yielded Johns wife Elizabeth who was born in 1745. Further more I have also found from another tree maker John's mother and father. His father was another John, (1723) who married Mary Barrows (1716) she was 7 years older than John who was 18, she 25 years old when she gave birth to their son John.

My oldest known relatives now have the same names as my mother and father, John and Mary. :smile:
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Lamberts leaps and bounds

Post by Wendyf »

Nice one Ian. I reached a full stop with my own family research ages ago, it would be amazing to get past that point.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The furthest back I got here was a Challenger who was arrested and charged with 'seditious riot' in Ashton under Lyne in 1847. That was so satisfying I decided to stop there.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

A bit more and courtesy of Rupert as well who has turned up John's christening record which gives his fathers name as Christopher. John was born in 1723 so his father could potentially have been born late 1600's or early 1700's. We have lots of John's, Roberts and Christopher's in the family.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I now have a potential for Christopher's father who could be Thomas Lambert. He is cited on a potential baptism record in 1700 for Christopher. This one has been found on the Mormons database in Utah.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

A bit closer to home research, I have finally got round to applying for my dads army service records. I did the application online yesterday, (I hope the scan of his death certificate is OK) the background patterning is there for a reason I reckon. Anyway, all requested info has been fired off and will be sent to the British Army. Their disclosure branch will search to see if they have the records. If they have you are sent a payment link to retrieve the information. The enquiry via the gov.uk website is free. If they don't have the records you are directed to English Heritage. The gov site says that it can take three months to a year to conduct the search. Not digitised then.

As far as I know it will go from West Riding Territorial's, Duke of Wellington's Infantry. East York's Regiment and then the R.A.O.C. which is where I think he was demobbed from.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I had to apply to the Australians for my dad's records and got them immediately. They must have a better system than we do!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I think we probably have a lot more records to sort through than they have down under.

A lot of the British WWI records were lost in the Blitz during WWII. For WWII records the subject has to have been deceased for over 25 years unless you have written consent from the immediate next of kin for the application. The former applies to me as well as me being the latter as well.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

PanBiker wrote: 23 Nov 2022, 10:44 A bit closer to home research, I have finally got round to applying for my dads army service records. I did the application online yesterday, (I hope the scan of his death certificate is OK) the background patterning is there for a reason I reckon. Anyway, all requested info has been fired off and will be sent to the British Army. Their disclosure branch will search to see if they have the records. If they have you are sent a payment link to retrieve the information. The enquiry via the gov.uk website is free. If they don't have the records you are directed to English Heritage. The gov site says that it can take three months to a year to conduct the search. Not digitised then.

As far as I know it will go from West Riding Territorial's, Duke of Wellington's Infantry. East York's Regiment and then the R.A.O.C. which is where I think he was demobbed from.
I received and email from the Parliamentary & Disclosures Branch three weeks ago informing me that my dads Service records are now held by The National Archive. They sent me a reference number to quote to them to follow up the request. I emailed them with the details and the reference number. I didn't get any acknowledgement or confirmation of receipt so I chased it today. I sent another email asking for an update of my request after using the live chat facility on the NA website. I have sent them the information again and see if I get a response this time!

Apparently the service records are being transferred and processed in batches. I just want confirmation that they have received my request and it is in the pipeline.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It sounds as though, in common with all other public services, the NA is starved of resources. Good luck with it Ian.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I had email this morning from The NA. Apparently my dads service records are now subject to the Freedom of Information Act and GDPR regulations. Next of Kin relationships are now discounted and do not automatically qualify for releasing the information.

They have also made an assumption that he may still be alive and that his birthday was less than 100 years ago, the latter automatically sealing any records, they are incorrect on both counts!

Top and bottom of it they have cancelled the request and closed the file until I prove otherwise. Apparently they cannot use any information or proof of documentation already sent to the Parliamentary Disclosure Branch or forwarded to the Army Records Office?

They will open a new request if I send a copy of his death certificate and prove date of birth which I have done. This shows that he has been dead for 30 years and also that next month he would have passed his 105th birthday having been born on the 11th May 1918. Hopefully this will allow them to open a new request and it should satisfy both criteria under the FOI and GDPR rules.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds as though what funds they do have have been spent on erecting administrative barriers to cut back on the number of requests (and therefore the workload) they have to service, In other words, a Cunning Plan!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Another problem for others wishing to retrieve the records of their relatives is that they are being transferred to the NA in batches. I would assume that you would still have to apply via the .gov site, then have your request sent to the correct military arm to find out if they still held them or if they have been transferred. A three step process, I started this last November and it was 4 months before I got any sort of feedback.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I remember asking for my Dad's records in Australia and getting immediate access to all of them. Perhaps we ought to pay them to hold our records.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

As I said before we probably have a lot more records to deal with. Three arms of service also.

Also wouldn't your dads records be for the First World War? Most of ours for that conflict were lost in the Second World War Blitz.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The records are being digitised by Ancestry who hope to have them available 2024/5.

https://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine ... -ancestry/
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Back in February I opened an official looking A4 envelope that arrived in our post. When I saw the address and logo I thought I was being sent call up papers! A big RAF logo and Air Command in capital letters. Then I remembered that a couple of months earlier I'd sent a request for my dad's WW2 RAF service record together with the required death cert etc. I received two A3 sheets, obviously photocopied or photographed from the original records. Also many pages of alphabetical explanations for all the abbreviations and acronyms used in the documents - I'd have learnt a lot less from them without that information. It's been very helpful and has confirmed much of what my dad told me and added in a lot more. Also it clarified some points where my dad had got confused with dates. It was very helpful for the first couple of years of the war and the final year or two but less so for the intermediate years when he was in South Africa as part of the Joint Air Training Scheme (JATS) established to train South African Air Force and other allied air and ground crews.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Peter, did you go through the .gov site first for access to the records?

After reading Wendy's link I think I can answer that. Seems that the RAF records have already been digitised and indexed.

I have to say that at the moment it is very confusing who to apply to and how to pay any fees that may be applicable. The information on the .gov gateway says that you only have to pay it they still hold the record and will be notified as and when. NA have said nothing about any payment. They seem to be more concerned with the GDPR and FOI rules.

Ancestry may be a quicker route if they have the contract. I already know my dads stuff is in an early batch and is no longer held by the MOD.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The RAF records must have been easier to access Ian, I got Dad's at least 10 years ago but it was a photocopy of the original record.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

No update this month from The National Archives regarding my dads service record, all gone very quiet. Previous two months I got two emails, both the same, sent on consecutive days. I don't think the system is working very well.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Probably austerity taking its toll Ian. Public services are a long way back in the funding queue at the moment. Priorities are more likely to be failing franchises or vanity projects like HS2. Don't hold your breath.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

National Archives have stopped sending me updates about my dads service records and now only seem to send adverts for books and other merchandise that they sell. They need to stop all that and concentrate on what they are being paid for, indexing, digitising and replying in timely manner to requests for information that folk are entitled to. :exactly:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The Treasury will have set them a target of how much income they must generate through commercial activities. All part of the continuing emphasis on austerity in the public services.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I have had nothing form the National Archives regarding my dads service records since June. The last email stated that any chasing emails would not be processed and that the next communication would be when they had any further information! I know that Ancestry has got the contract for digitising the army records. It's one year and one day since I made my first enquiry via the .gov site that was then passed on to the army who eventually told me that all the records had been passed to the National Archives. It would now seem that the can has been kicked even further down the road. :furious3:

The link Wendy put up to the information about the Ancestry contract says they will be released 2024 - 2029. It also says that it takes a year to process an application.

I have been following up some of the hints suggested in our tree and have updated my Aunty Belle's (Lizzie Belle) entry with the banns for her marriage in 1931. Also my granddad Fred Halls entry in the 1939 register which also shows my mums details at the time. I have messaged my niece Julie as I noticed on her tree that she has her mums, birth year wrong by 4 years? I think that must be a typo, not had a reply yet.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Hard luck Ian. In the present state of the UK finances I can't see the National Archive being a candidate for adequate funding.....
Let's see, which was the Party we were told was 'Good with money'?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Ongoing Family Research”