Brown family of Thornton in Craven

CaroleT

Re: Brown family of Thornton in Craven

Post by CaroleT »

Hi Richard
How lovely to find another Thornton in Craven Brown descendant. I have a lot of Brown information I would like to share but probably this would be best off-forum. But regarding falls from ladders - my father told me that Thomas Watson (possible illegitimate son of Robert Brown, older brother of your Christopher) fell off a factory roof, when drunk, and was crippled - he was a housepainter. I have no independent verification as yet of this story. Your mention of Christopher falling when cleaning the Church windows made me wonder. Perhaps my version is a misremembering of a family event? Otherwise, maybe falling from heights is a family trait?! Wouldn't the Christopher Brown accident at age 95 result in mentions in newspapers? I don't know which local newspapers were around at that time.
Finally, a general question. Is there a way for me to exchange email addresses with Richard so we can exchange family history information? If he wishes to that is?
Carole
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Hi Carole, If you click on a site member's name you then get the option on their profile to send a PM or an email. The initial email goes through OGFB but from then on you can use your own email address if you wish.
I have been checking the Thornton in Craven Parish registers and there is only one burial for a Christopher Brown and that was on 15/7/1891. His birth date is given in the baptism register as 17/6/1802 and his baptism 29/8/1802, so the age of 89 fits perfectly.
There is only one death for a Christopher Brown registered in the area between 1890 and 1900 and that is the one in 1891. Sorry but I'm afraid your family story is looking a bit dodgy! :sad:
The 1891 census was taken on the 5th April, and he didn't die till June, so he would be on it.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I think the Metcalf name might come from your Gt grandmother's mother...
Your Gt Grandfather Robert Brown married Sarah Smith on 29/8/1859 at Thornton in Craven. Sarah was the daughter of James Smith. A James Smith married Mary Medcalf of Earby on 14/10/1839 at Thornton in Craven. Mary is the daughter of James Medcalf. I cant find a baptism for Mary in the registers.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very handy when the mother's maiden name is used as a forename. Stanley Challenger Graham......
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Cai

Post by Cai »

A Robert Brown was a witness at my ancestors wedding in 1822 in Thornton in Craven. The wedding was between John Smith and Ann Walbank. There is a possibility that John's parents were James Smith and Alice Brown. John was born c 1795 in Thornton in Craven.
Regards Cai
Cai

Post by Cai »

Re last Post.
Connecting Alice Smith nee Browne and my ancestor John Smith born c 1795. My brother and I have had our DNA done through 23andme. My DNA has been uploaded to Genmatch.
Regards
Cai
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Welcome to the site Cai.
It's worth noting that the Brown family were church wardens and parish clerks at Thornton in Craven over many years. Robert Brown was the Parish Clerk when he died in 1824 and he pops up as a witness for numerous marriages in the preceding years, presumably because he was available if there was no one else.
Cai

Post by Cai »

Hello,
I am still hoping some Brown descendants will have a DNA test so I can ascertain if Alice Brown is my ancestor.
Cai

Return to “Ongoing Family Research”