Ancestry.co.uk

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Re: Ancestry.co.uk

Post by Whyperion »

Ancestry has had a bit of a makeover (see also YT vids from Ancestry on new etc features)
makes it a little easier to find and add hints and infos to persons you may be researching on a side bar).

Some of its searches still dont give you logical results for what you were looking for though.
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Ancestry free wartime records until 12th Nov.
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/c/wartime-st ... +Campaigns
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I initially posted on the Find My Past thread but as I've subscribed to Ancestry I reckon I should be here to avoid confusing myself.
I've dribbled in the bottle and sent it off, all registered and patiently waiting for 6-8 weeks for the result.
My own research has my paternal side going from Kent to Larne in Northern Ireland and then back to Scotland. Maternal side seems to be all Kent so far. I've had lots of 'hints' from other trees and the most recent relatives (grandparents) match my personal memories so I consider those to be correct. The paternal side, back to Larne, with gt grandparents fits in with what I've been told and a vague memory of 'granny' visiting once.
I've hit a couple of dead ends on the paternal side at grandparents. I know my grandfather (Hylands) was born in Larne. My grandmother (Sedge) was born in Gravesend, Kent.
They married in 1935.
My paternal grandfather served with the Royal Ulster Rifles and was stationed in Gravesend.
I have a birthday card, sent to my father, at 78 Peppercroft Street, Gravesend in August 1945, at this time the occupants are shown as the Sedge family (maternal grandmother's parents).
I was always of the understanding that my grandfather was the only one of the family in Gravesend at that time but, after reading a 'Gravesend' Facebook page, someone mentioned that they had Hylands relatives living at number 3 and they remember other relatives 'coming over from Ireland' to visit.
I also found another Hylands family, living at number 17, in the 1917 census. It all seems too much of a coincidence to not be related but I can't match any of the first names.
Unfortunately, the Facebook posts are from between 6 and 9 years ago. I have tried messaging the posters but no response.
I may be asking for a bit of assistance.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

And, just to confuse me even further. On the maternal side, my gt grandmother just seems to disappear. My mother remembers her grandfather living at the same house as her parents, she was told that her grandmother had 'moved to Canada'. I have no evidence of this and whenever she asked her father about family he always said 'what do yo want to know for?'
So I'm a bit stuck with that one too :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"he always said 'what do yo want to know for?'"
Funny isn't it how questions from the young often get that response. Either that or my mother's favourite answer; "Leo's for meddlers".

(I looked the origin up and found some very fanciful theories, none of which I bought!)
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Just say if you get stuck enough to want some help Kev. It's the difficult ones that are the most enjoyable!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Hints in Ancestry can be a real help Kev. I struggled for a good number of years on my paternal line with Robert being my oldest known ancestor who was farming in Marsett. I had all his details, wife, kids etc all checked out and correct. Couldn't find his father though until we searched at Kendal record office years ago (pre internet) and found a half perished ledger with half his details in, the rest eaten away. Ancestry hints gave me my half cousin Rupert's tree where he had a bit more luck. I now know not only Roberts father, (John) but his wife's name, (Mary) and his father Christopher also. Two more generations back and I am now back to around 1690 or so.

My parents were John and Mary also. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 05 Jul 2022, 08:24 Just say if you get stuck enough to want some help Kev. It's the difficult ones that are the most enjoyable!
I seem to be stuck with my mother's paternal grandmother. I have her marriage details and her name on her son's birth details but can't seem to find anything after that. From what I have gathered from my mother there seems to have been a breakdown in the marriage, my mother never met her grandmother and her presumption is she left when her father was a child.
I have found her grandfather, living with his parents and brother in the 1911 census, he was listed as 25 and single. He married the elusive grandmother in 1912 and their son (my grandfather) was born in 1914. Interestingly there's a 2 year old, with a different surname, at the same address listed as grandson...
The plot thickens. I'd be grateful for any advice on where to look next
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I would check death records and remarriage on the freebmd website, emigration records, 1939 Register and if I was feeling like throwing money at it, the 1921 census. :smile:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

:good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Wendyf wrote: 05 Jul 2022, 10:44 if I was feeling like throwing money at it, the 1921 census. :smile:
Is there any news as to when this is going to be cheaper to access?
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Tripps wrote: 05 Jul 2022, 11:33
Wendyf wrote: 05 Jul 2022, 10:44 if I was feeling like throwing money at it, the 1921 census. :smile:
Nope!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

How come Find My Past get a monopoly on a publicly available record? Unless of course they are the ones who digitised it or paid for the same
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

PanBiker wrote: 05 Jul 2022, 14:46 Unless of course they are the ones who digitised it
I think they were - so fair do's. However when they've recovered their costs it should go to the normal subscription. I had a quick look when it started, and some info is available for an address for free, but qute expensive to get the detail. I don't think many will be paying that for more than a few enquiries.

I wonder when the market will be saturated, and competition kicks in. Soon I hope. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 05 Jul 2022, 10:44 I would check death records and remarriage on the freebmd website, emigration records, 1939 Register and if I was feeling like throwing money at it, the 1921 census. :smile:
Drawn a blank on the freebmd search for the elusive gt grandmother and the grandson. Do I need a Findmypast
subscription to access the 1921 census?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Tripps wrote: 05 Jul 2022, 11:33
Kew is open 10am to 4pm, only a long train ride away.
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Big Kev wrote: 05 Jul 2022, 09:53
Wendyf wrote: 05 Jul 2022, 08:24 Just say if you get stuck enough to want some help Kev. It's the difficult ones that are the most enjoyable!
I seem to be stuck with my mother's paternal grandmother. I have her marriage details and her name on her son's birth details but can't seem to find anything after that. From what I have gathered from my mother there seems to have been a breakdown in the marriage, my mother never met her grandmother and her presumption is she left when her father was a child.
I have found her grandfather, living with his parents and brother in the 1911 census, he was listed as 25 and single. He married the elusive grandmother in 1912 and their son (my grandfather) was born in 1914. Interestingly there's a 2 year old, with a different surname, at the same address listed as grandson...
The plot thickens. I'd be grateful for any advice on where to look next
Anything in local Kellys Directories (and dont you Lancs Libary membership card give you some free access to some of the on line resources via their portal page)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Kev yes you do have to pay. There is no access to the 21 census at all in the library, it even blocks me when I'm using my own subscription in the library.
I have to confess to already having found the info you are looking for because I'm nosy and cant resist a challenge!! Hope you dont mind too much and I'll send you the relevant pages by Messenger....my treat :geek:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 06 Jul 2022, 11:04 Kev yes you do have to pay. There is no access to the 21 census at all in the library, it even blocks me when I'm using my own subscription in the library.
I have to confess to already having found the info you are looking for because I'm nosy and cant resist a challenge!! Hope you dont mind too much and I'll send you the relevant pages by Messenger....my treat :geek:
Ooh! Thank you so much, you're a star.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

OG strikes again.... Nice! :biggrin2:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

It's an addiction, really enjoying this. I have relatives crawling out of the woodwork :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The women on the maternal side have a lot of dead husbands which leads to a lot of name changes. You couldn't make it up, fascinating stuff.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Let me know if you want any more 1921 census lookups Kev. I can start a tab :biggrin2:
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Big Kev wrote: 12 Jul 2022, 06:24 The women on the maternal side have a lot of dead husbands which leads to a lot of name changes. You couldn't make it up, fascinating stuff.
They would be alive when they married them wouldn't they? Send for John Nettles, Midsomer Murders, immediately. :biggrin2:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 12 Jul 2022, 07:09
Big Kev wrote: 12 Jul 2022, 06:24 The women on the maternal side have a lot of dead husbands which leads to a lot of name changes. You couldn't make it up, fascinating stuff.
They would be alive when they married them wouldn't they? Send for John Nettles, Midsomer Murders, immediately. :biggrin2:
:biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “Ongoing Family Research”