Craven Harrison’s – Jeremiah 1740 vs Jeremiah 1741

HarroOz

Re: Craven Harrison’s – Jeremiah 1740 vs Jeremiah 1741

Post by HarroOz »

Stanly,

had that conversation on the way home in the car!

Vertebrae intact, the previously unknown lump on his Thyroid that exploded on impact is another matter..!

Oh Dear! :surprised:
HarroOz

Post by HarroOz »

Wendy,

all is forgiven, thank you!!! the Broughton Land Taxes might be perfect.. I hadn't realised that there is a vary large amount of them..(77) This means that I can actually produce a reasonable list of Broughton and Elslack Harrison farmers and reconcile them against some other records and possibly determine some time related connections to Jeremiah. It looks like he gets a mention lots of times (as you said)

Will be back with a list and some hopefully meaningful cross references.

Mmmm! should have listened to you in the beginning! :good:

Ian
HarroOz

Post by HarroOz »

Hi All and Wendy,

Although "all is quiet on the Western Front" behind the lines there is at least perseverence under way! The Land Tax records are showing either one Jeremiah with two concurrent Farms or two Jeremiah's and two farms. Also George and Joseph also farming in Elslack and all the same family. At this point three Proprietors. Interestingly one being the Vicar of the Church? Maybe the church has grazing land that was leased for Jeremiah's herd? The BBC otherwise known as Bob, Bob and Chris have been unravelling a Will for a William Harrison in Latin (well above my pay grade) and have dismissed this Will as it appears to be another Broughton near Rippon, (A great thank you to the BBC's for this onerous task. And more work continues on other clues to the two Jeremiah's and their respective fathers Francis and William.

HarroOz
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
HarroOz

Post by HarroOz »

Hi all,

I have completed the Broughton & Elslack Land Taxes. At this point there isn't any resolution as to who might be Jeremiah"s father, but never the less some interesting facts have emerged that are worth placing here.

1/ The records that I have are spread between 1782 and 1832 with a few years missing (but not a significant loss)

2/ There is one consistent yearly entry on a farm that is 94 Acres in Elslack for Jeremiah Harrison (Snr) from 1782 until 1830 this is our man who lived until he was 90, born in 1740 (my contention) and is the subject of this investigation. I believe this 94 Acre farm is the Smearber farm. The following 2 years (until 1832) the taxes were paid by William Harrison his son. The remaining Smearber Tenancies are known and described in a previous post.

3/ Another Jeremiah Harrison (Jnr) farms a Broughton property that I would guess is about (c) 100 Acres between 1794 and 1803 and the following year 1804 his wife Martha Harrison pays the taxes and then for the following 5 years until 1812 Messrs, Tempest, Marshall and Catley pay the taxes on behalf of the Harrison's. This farm is on Tempest land unlike the above Smearber farm that is owned by James Lane Fox and in Elslack. There is a Jeremiah Harrison buried at Broughton in 1802 and I am working on this fellow to determine his connection I believe his wife to be Martha Lund. More to come on this

4/ There were numerous other Harrison's listed farming in the same period, Joseph in Broughton (c) 80Acres, Thomas in Broughton (c) 200Acres, John/Annabella/Elizabeth/Isabel in Broughton (c) 4.8 Acres, Harrison and others (2) farming the Glebe part of the Broughton Church property (c) 73 Acres and in Elslack George Harrison (c) 9 Acres and possibly another 6 Acres, Phillip Harrison (c) 206 Acres I believe this is "Low Ground Farm", and Thomas (c) 14 Acres. These are in addition to the two Jeremiah's already described above

So, the search continues, more to come on Jeremiah Harrison (Jnr) who died in 1802 ASAP

HarroOz
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Keep going Ian. Harrisons all over the world will be interested in what you are turning up!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “Ongoing Family Research”