Favourite Walks and Rambles

Tripps
VIP Member

Re: Favourite Walks and Rambles

Post by Tripps »

Well- spookily. I watched the whole Shanaz Gulzar, series when it was first on. A bit of caution at first as I took it to be a BBC box ticking diversity exercise, but I ended up enjoying it, and came back for more..

My TV watching technique consists of starting at Ch 101 then clicking upwards till I find something that catches my attention. That way I stumble across quite a few interesting things - but a lot of Judge Judy. :smile:

I was hoping the horse was yours but didn't really think so. There would have two wouldn't there? :smile:
Born to be mild. . .
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

That's good Tripps, I wasn't sure if it was shown nationally or just in the Yorkshire region.
Shame about the horse, bigger, broader and not as pretty as my boys. I would also have been very worried to see one so far from home! Just to put a spoiler on things, the head nodding is due to fly irritation rather than an attempt at communication. :extrawink:
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Wendyf wrote: 27 Dec 2020, 11:00 the head nodding is due to fly irritation
Proves yet again, that here, (and elsewhere) - I know next to nothing about horses.

I persist in trying to learn though.
Should have listened to Jeffrey Bernard - "tames bl**ding tigers this game" :laugh5:
Born to be mild. . .
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Best laid plans and all that. Our Carla had set her sights on climbing Helvellyn today with her Wainwright bashing mate Becky. Makings of a good day for it. We had agreed to have the kids for the day and overnight as she was also going out tonight for a meal for her husband Ant's birthday.

Becky was playing football last night and has injured her finger, she went to A&E last night but there was a four hour wait so she came away. No better this morning of course, she thinks she may have dislocated it so is heading back to A&E this morning. Helvellyn may morph into a more local climb up Sharphaw this afternoon depending how Becky goes on. We will still be having the kids as the evening do is still on.

On another matter. I can't understand why the OS have stopped doing the 1:25000, 2.5" to the mile pathfinder series maps, so handy. They only do regional Pathfinder guide books now rather than the individual area sheets. Sally has managed to find the sheet covering Robin Hoods Bay on Ebay and got it for £3.00 with free postage. It's a 1950's issue but I doubt if the paths up there have changed much in the last 60 odd years. :smile:

Update on Becky, she has broken her finger, ouch! Its strapped up and she is joining Carla for the Sharphaw climb. Sally is going and will bring the grandchildren back with her. I am checking and bringing down camping gear for our trip.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We have an Explorer OL27 North York Moors East map which covers Robin Hoods Bay dated 2006. You are welcome to borrow it Ian if you want.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Thanks Wendy, Sally has nabbed one of those as well on Ebay at a bargain price. :smile:
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

:good:
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I get annoyed with the Explorer maps, they are so big and awkward to use.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

They are Wendy but they were good maps. I'm sorry to hear they have discontinued them.
I wonder how GPS programmes for mobile phones have affected map sales?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The Explorer maps are still available Stanley, it's the smaller Pathfinder maps that aren't produced anymore.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Yes, you cant see enough area at once on the mobile versions. You can pan around but its not the same as looking at a single sheet Pathfinder map. Sally met a couple of ladies on the green lane down past Copy Nook near the top from Lister Well, they were using OS on their phones but were trying to find the Fanny Grey which of course is where the green lane emerges on Higher Lane. Like I say you can't see even the slightly bigger picture.

When we went down to Glossop few years back we got an OS of the area including the Peak District and Kinder Scout, start of the Pennine Way etc. It was massive when unfolded and very unwieldy, double sided as well which made it even more confusing. I cant see the 1" series without my reading glasses which I don't take out walking with me. The 2.5" series was perfect and big enough to see without specs. With modern digital production methods I can't see why they don't still do the proper area Pathfinders.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree about the double sided ones. The Explorer for the South Pennines is one of them. What you want is alwaYS ON THE OTHER SIDE....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “Favourite Walks”