TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

We found a group of medieval instrument players in Nelson and there was no vocal. We just wanted the tune as the signature tune for an AV programme we set up and Lillbullero was the most appropriate non copyright tune we could find. I remember that when we set it up on a loop we got fed up of hearing it!
Yesterday was another very acceptable winter day. At 20:00 it was calm, damp and partially clear. First thing this morning it was the same but more cloud, it hadn't changed. The glass has fallen a bit but is still high on 1035mb. The forecast is very similar to yesterday but a bit more cloud. The constant very light westerly winds give a high of 9C and a low of 5C with a wind chill of -1C for most of the day.
06:10. A very nice walk on a calm, damp but mild morning with 100% overcast and a slight mist. That's about it! This and better will do!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The cloud came down to our level as it went dark which made for an unpleasant drive to Earby and back last night for the history society meeting. I hate that road in thick mist, it goes in too many unexpected directions! Pitch black outside now, so we are probably still in the clouds.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Funnily enough Wendy, I noted this morning that the overcast down here is tinged with red and is lighter, amost as though the dawn is lighting the sky above the cloud. We must be lucky!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Most notable thing yesterday was heavy fog in the afternoon, a product of the high pressure. At 20:00 it was calm, overcast, mild and dry. Same first thing this morning and it hasn't changed. The glass is falling slowly but still on 1030mb. The forecast is a re-run of yesterday, cloud and fog. The constant WSW wind is light and rises slowly as the day goes on. High of 7C and a low of 5C. The wind chill starts at -1C but as the wind rises it will increase reaching -3C later. No significant change in the outlook, Sunday and Monday could be wet. Overall the high pressure is declining but very slowly.
06:10.Back from a nice walk. Calm, mild and overcast. It's not raining but there is light moisture in the air, a cross between mizzle and fog, everything is damp. The boutique in Newtown has the dreaded sign "Closing down sale". Not sure if the Village Pizzeria in Church Street is refurbishing or closing. Windows seem to be whitewashed.
The announcer this morning on R4 said it was Wednesday. Wrong! It's Thursday!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

...which means today is Butcher's Day! :laugh5: We know your routine so well, Stanley!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Laugh you may Maz but routines are a fine thing if they suit you and I certainly thrive on them!
Yesterday was another dull day but a touch brighter and it is noticeable that it isn't dark at 16:00! The days are slowly lengthening, even though it's before dawn the skies are lighter in the morning as well. At 20:00 it was calm, mild, dry and overcast. Same this morning. The glass is down again on 1019 and falling slowly. The forecast is once more a re0run of yesterday. Dry and overcast with spells of fog. The constant westerly wind is light and gives a high of 7C and a low of 5C with a wind chill of -3C. Boring weather but better than snow and ice!
06:40. We had very light mizzle when we set off for the butcher's but like yesterday this soon ceased. So we had a damp, calm, overcast walk but still mild.
Only thing I noticed this week was that the boutique in Newtown has a 'Closing Down Sale' notice in the window. Another small start up bites the dust. A small tragedy for someone..... Such a shame.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 03:08 Only thing I noticed this week was that the boutique in Newtown has a 'Closing Down Sale' notice in the window. Another small start up bites the dust. A small tragedy for someone..... Such a shame.
It's been around for a while, it used to be on Rainhall Road corner of Frank Street.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was another dull day, end of. At 20:00 it was calm, dry and mild with cloud that was starting to break. Fisrt thing this morning it was the same and the cloud was even more broken. Enough damp in the air to wet the flags, it's still the same now. The glass id down again on 1013mb and still falling slowly. The forecast is dead simple, overcast all day, no mention of rain but from the evidence at the moment expect damp in the air if not mizzle at times. The constant SW wind is light but increases to moderate as the day goes on, it gives a high of 6C and a low of 4C with up to -4C wind chill depending on wind strength. The weather changes during the day as the high pressure that has dominated is forced south by a big Atlantic system coming in overnight which will give us a proper wet day tomorrow. After that brighter and colder becoming changeable and wet as the week goes on. We could be looking at the start of February Fill Dyke.
05:50. A very quiet walk. Light wind and mizzle as we set off but not enough to justify waterproofs so we set off and the mizzle ceased. Not a soul in sight. I suspect that tomorrow may be different!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The noticeable change yesterday was that the cloud cover was more broken and as the day went on it became colder. At 20:00 we had a light breeze, broken cloud and a hint of rain in the air, colder than of late. First thing this morning it was the same and it had just started raining. I've just looked out again and the rain hasn't developed, it is dry at the moment. The glass is down on 1003mb and still falling. The forecast is for it to be clouded but dry until around 10:00 and then we can expect a spell of rain but the expectation is that it is a narrow front and will move eastwards quite quickly, it could be dry again by 15:00. The moderate wind is mainly southerly, tending to the west all day giving a high of 7C and a low of 1C with a wind chill of -3C. The trend is to colder and brighter weather but changeable. The Atlantic systems have won!
06:20. A dry walk, 100% overcast, a light wind and cold when you are exposed to it. Three young men in the bus shelter who appeared not to have arranged their transport very well. They gave me a hard stare as I walked [past with Jack but that was all. Disconcerting, you never know what they have been on during the night! The weather feels more active this morning...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast was accurate yesterday, the rain had largely stopped by 15:00. At 20:00 we had a light breeze, broken could and it was both dryer and colder. This morning first thing it was the same and hasn't changed since. The glass fell slowly all day yesterday and is down on 993mb and still falling. The forecast is for a mostly dry, brighter and colder day. The wind is a constant SW giving a high of 5C and a low of 1C, swings into SE after dark and becomes lighter. There's a wind chill of -4C most of the day and the effect is to give the possibility of icy surfaces all day. There's just a possibility that the light rain expected in the early afternoon could give us a wintry shower of sleet. Tuesday and Wednesday similar and then perhaps rain on Thursday and Friday. Wrap up warm, it's going to be a cold day.
06:05. There was a light shower of rain as we went out but during our walk the clouds started to break and by the time we were getting back to the hutch there were large clear breaks and stars showing. The consequence of the shower is that pavements and roads are wet and if and when the expected frost starts there could be some very icy surfaces so be careful out there.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was bright and cold. At 20:00 it was cold and dry, light easterly breeze and broken cloud. This morning it was the same but damper and it hasn't changed. The glass fell steadily all day yesterday and is down on 980mb, still tending to fall slowly. The forecast is for an overcast day, dry until about 09:00 then a chance of snow showers for a while turning to rain later. The constant westerly wind is brisk at times giving a high of 4C and a low of 2C tonight. This is modified by the wind chill of as much as -6C in the strongest winds. The effect is that it will feel below freezing all day. The outlook is for slightly warmer weather but don't get excited, it's still wintry and wet at times.
Not a cheerful forecast, sorry about that!
05:55. Back from a shorter walk, all I am up to this morning. We went out in heavy driving snow but that ceased by the time we were back. Jack is empty, that was the object of the exercise. Not a nice morning, Deep Joy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

We have 31C today, might have to put the cooler on so that I can use my oven. Will definitely have to tomorrow, we are expecting 41C. 🥵
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See above Cathy, we have just been out in driving snow and about -2C allowing for the wind chill. 41C is a distant dream.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just had our second walk. That wind is bitter , the puddles are turning to ice and anywhere where a wet surface is exposed to the wind it is shot ice. Back home and I am going back to bed.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Some vicious little spells of weather yesterday but by 20:00 it was dry and breezy but not freezing. First thing this morning we had heavy rain, Just popped outside and it has stopped raining but it's damp, cold and miserable! The glass dropped to 980mb yesterday but then started to rise, it's on 995mb now and still rising slowly. The forecast is cloudy but dry until early afternoon and then rain for the rest of the day. The constant westerly wind becomes brisk giving us a high of 7C and a low of 5C with a -5C wind chill all day. Sorry Kids! Another miserable day. The outlook shows that we can expect similar weather for at least a week. As Sue said yesterday, good weather for being inside in the warm! February Fill Dyke is on its way in.
06:05. A much better walk than yesterday, I feel much better and so does the weather! No snow or icy pavements, the forecast says that the wind chill takes us down to -2C and I will believe them, my ears were tingling! Dry, breezy and breaks in the clouds, some stars visible. Only thing of note was a large skip in Butts opposite B&Ds, some heavy duty brush clearing has been done, is this some sort of development?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A bit better yesterday down here but not much, very cold in that wind all day. At 20:00 we had a strong blustery wind but it was dry and milder. First thing this morning less wind, damp but not raining and cool. Just popped out and had a shufti, no change. The glass has risen a touch and is steady on 998mb. The forecast is for a cloudy day with light rain coming in around 9AM. The wind is mainly WSW starting moderate and strengthening as the day goes on becoming stronger and gusty later on. It gives a high of 10C and a low of 6C with a -3C wind chill all day. No change in the outlook until next Tuesday when it starts to get colder and brighter.
06:00. A very acceptable walk. The cloud is breaking, the streets are drying nicely and as is often the case the wind has dropped before dawn. It isn't cold. The large skip in Butts has been serviced and is sat there empty ready for the next load.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

We have 42C today and tonight will be sleeping (?) with temps low to mid 30C’s.
34C for Friday with a late storm, there is talk of lots of rain. 23C for Saturday :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I didn't see your reply till I had edited and posted again Maz. We have a slightly better day.... but light rain later in the morning.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

It's a bit windy this evening, had to rescue one of my bins from the other end of the back garden. I've left them laying down by the wall.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

50 to 60mph gusts up here, or "a moderate breeze" according to the beeb's weather forecast.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

It is tropically humid today. Very wearing. Hope the storm starts soon...( they say it will likely rain mud again, so I can see us having to wash the front door and windows again)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Maz, when you say 'us'.......
Yes, yesterday's forecast of a rising wind was correct. At 20:00 we had broken cloud with a crescent moon, it was dry and the gusts were almost damaging. Very active weather! This morning we have less wind but the same broken cloud and it's dry. The glass fell to almost 990mb but is recovering now and on 995mb. The forecast is for it to start raining by 04:00 and that will persist all day until nightfall. The constant SW wind is brisk all day with gusts up to 40mph giving a high of 10C and a low of 6C with up to -4C wind chill. Looks like an early bath for Jack!
06:30. We were back from the butcher's and it was a good walk. The rain hadn't come in, it was mild, breezy and the broken clouds were racing over. But it was dry! There was a light spatter just as we got to the back door and looking out it has not got beyond that yet. Perhaps that was a West Coast forecast.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Thunder and rain. Still ridiculously hot and humid...it’s like living in the tropics and I feel quite damp and flat. We are used to a dry heat, so when it is humid, we feel like wrung out dish rags.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Some rain has just reached my area. Hallelujah!
Some headlines- Pt. Lincoln underwater, submerging cars and flooding properties. 77mm.
Flash flooding as thunderstorms drench Sth. Australia.
Rain in SA’s far North.
Fire ravaged Kangaroo Island gets a soaking, severe thunderstorms.
Adelaide expected to receive 15mm and 55mm of rain over the next 2 days, having not received more than 15mm since June 2019.

Let’s hope we can save some of it.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Maz, I find high humidity fatiguing as well.
Cathy, glad you are getting rain. Canberra needs it as well!
The forecast rain came in late yesterday and was very light. At 20:00 we had a mild light breeze, a moon with a halo because of very thin overcast and it was dry. Same first thing this morning and I have just looked outside, still dry but more wind now. The glass is down on 989mb. The forecast is the same as yesterday, dry until rain comes in at about 14:00. The WSW wind is very brisk all day with gusts up to 50mph. This gives a high of 7C and a low of 4C with a wind chill of as much as -5C most of the day. The only question is how heavy will the rain be? On yesterday's evidence, lighter than forecast.
06:10. No cobwebs on us this morning! We've had a dry walk on a very windy morning under racing broken clouds.
The large skip in Butts is full again, someone is digging out a foundation, perhaps for a garage.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”