SUMMER 2012

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: SUMMER 2012

Post by PanBiker »

Steady on Kev, your posts are getting my Spammers Radar exited. I'm a dab hand now at banning folk for messing around with the site :wink:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote:Steady on Kev, your posts are getting my Spammers Radar exited. I'm a dab hand now at banning folk for messing around with the site :wink:
Method in my madness, Ian. http://www.oneguyfrombarlick.co.uk/view ... 862#p22862. I forgot I might kick off a spam alert :laugh5:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Aye! :paranoia:
Ian
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

If the beck is flowing quite steadily in Summer ( assuming we have 1 in 5 wetter than average summers ) would this make the (Energy Matters) turbine worth installing ?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Go back and read the posts in 'Energy Matters'.
I was a bit puzzled this morning by Kev's posts but I have realised what's happening after reading the Stanley topic. I like it Kev and thanks for taking the trouble! Pluggy is right, if you get up early and post while you are the only one on the site you take over the active topics. Sorry about that but I don't see why I should worry about being an OG enthusiast and supporter. In case anyone hasn't realised, the solution is dead easy. post me off the front page!
We see the start of a big change this morning. Eastwood Bottoms is full of mist and the glass has risen to 30" and is still going up. Could we be in for some sun?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Barlick summer was short-lived! Doc and I watched the clouds rolling in from the West as we had a quiet smoke and a coffee in his back porch at their new address. It's dull and overcast this morning. Glass is stuck on 30". It's anybody's guess what today will bring. A shower wouldn't surprise me.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

cloghopper
Regular User

Post by cloghopper »

:smile: Just been looking at some long range forecasts, and it looked as though N.W. UK might be in for a few rain free days. Very pleased for you because it has been a washout summer. I've been hearing about all sorts of outdoor events having been postponed or cancelled.
On the other hand (yipee!) down here in Southern Italy, we are forecast 2/3 days of thundery stormy weather. We haven't had any rain since late May, and my garden and the countryside certainly need it, as long as we don't get hailstones. Watering has become a weary chore rather than a pleasure.
cheers,
cloggy
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It got sunny later in the day and much warmer. About 12C in the backyard just before dawn. Glass is still nailed to 30" but dithering downwards a bit.
One consequence of the weird weather is that most of the corn mazes haven't grown high enough to be a proper maze!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

cloghopper
Regular User

Post by cloghopper »

Well, the forecast storm arrived at about three o'clock this morning. Quite a pathetic effort. A throw-away-camera flash or two of lightening, a burst-paper-bag clap of thunder, and a torrential downpour that lasted all of 27 seconds. Still cloudy though, and much cooler. 19.7 C as we speak, as against the 26 C. of the same time yesterday. Hope it's good for you there up North.
cheers,
cloggy
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sun is shining at the moment but it's raining further north. Glass is down a bit at 29.8". Fingers crossed but the rain band is said to be moving south.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Sun is shining here at the moment with blue skies but lots of clouds. Very warm lovelly and not complaining. As the summer arrived at last Eileen
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

A lovely sunny morning here but I can see the rain out west beyond Barlick. The local farmers are all "siloing" as my neighbour calls it. The fields round us were cut yesterday, rowed up in the early hours of the morning and the grass is being hoovered up now. I hope they get enough dry weather.
I've just been down to Colne and at Saltersyke they are haymaking in the traditional way. I was prepared on the way back with my windows open to capture the smell..........mmm wonderful. Sorry to go on a bit, but as I came down our track there was a buzzard hunting very low over the newly mown field. Amazing how they can just hang on a current of air. I know, I am very, very lucky to be able to live up here. :grin:
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I did get a distant picture of the buzzard but it had gained height by the time I got my camera...

Then the big grass hoovering machine got stuck below Blearaside

But it has got going again now.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A friend of mine once commented that distant birds always look like a speck of muck on the lens! No rain yesterday we must have missed it. Dry warm night, 70F in workshop this morning! Glass steady on 29.8" and overcast at the moment. Very warm, 24C in kitchen as I write....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Strange day yesterday. I left home at 8.00am to go to Kendal in glorious sunshine and temperatures quickly rising. By the time I got to Settle it had clouded over and by Ingleton the rain started. Continued raining and overcast until I left Kendal at 2.30pm then had almost the reverse of the morning. Rain to Settle then lifting and it was cracking the flags when I got home. Cath has got a lovely tan from the "few minutes" she sat in the garden reading!! Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Best rub her down with chip fat Comrade......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Well yesterday I finished the weeding then got my wish for some horizontal gardening with a good book. Really hot last night and blue skies again this morning and still hot. Summer is here :laugh5: Eileen
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

It has been another warm, muggy humid day today. Difficult sleeping at night even with a window open. Looks like cooler, fresher conditions from Friday onwards - back to our normal type of weather by then. Our weather always goes to extremes - to hot, to sunny, to cold, to wet or very wet. Its never just right. But that's the British weather for you.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Barlick has escaped the trauma of full-blown summer. There is a stubborn band of cloud sitting over us. One very light shower around 8am yesterday. Glass has risen slightly to 29.9" but solid overcast. Warm and close.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Cool up here this morning with an Easterly breeze.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A light shower at about 11:00 yesterday and another during the night. Just about ideal for the gardens if not high summer. Glass back to 29.7", looks as though we have missed this segment of summer. Forecast is cooler and some rain.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Beautiful blue skies here today, some light rain last night. Eileen
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Nice start here too Eileen, with a sea of mist down below earlier on.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday could have been the last shirt sleeve day for a while. Cooler this morning and glass down to just below 29.6". Dry outside with very little dew and high cloud coming in from the west.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Very windy here today. Hope it dries the washing. Eileen

Return to “Seasons”