Summer 2016

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Re: Summer 2016

Post by Whyperion »

London's warmer sun has been a little too hot, until yesterday/today , when really the shortening daylight now means not enough light to work by in the still warm and nice air. The unsettled weather I assume from a low pressure, coming tomorrow and into Saturday might disturb my planned trip to Mablethorpe by way of Leeds and Penistone
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The overcast was slow to burn off again yesterday, after 10:00. The glass started to fall last night. Light overcast this morning. Glass is down at 1002mb. The forecast is for it to be overcast and rain is expected around 10:00. A cooler day at 16C with a moderate east wind first, swinging round into the south by noon. The full moon has accompanied a change yet again.
Back in the hutch by 06:45. There was an unusual sky at 06:00. Heavy pink overcast and many street lights still on. Otherwise a mild, pleasant walk but it definitely feels like rain later.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

From 10:00 to early evening it was a wet day. At 21:00 we had a mild SW wind and high broken cloud. First thing this morning it was almost a clear sky with some high broken clouds. Light broken cloud at the moment with the same SW wind. The glass has dropped like a stone to 990mb, not a good sign! The forecast is for heavy showers on a strong SW wind almost any time during the day. The high will be 16C but it looks as though we shall not get the worst of the wind, further south it could be stronger.
06:40. Back in the hutch after a dry breezy walk. When we first went out there was the occasional shaft of sunlight coming in from the East but it has clouded over now and is definitely threatening rain. Not as good a day as yesterday..... and not summer either!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We escaped the worst of the wind and rain yesterday. At 21:00 we had a brisk west wind and broken cloud. This morning the wind is moderate and NW with broken cloud. Recent rain and it looks threatening. The glass is rising fast and on 1000mb. The forecast is for a dry overcast day with a bit of sun late morning. The wind will be mainly a moderate westerly backing to SW later this evening. A bit warmer at 17C but on the whole a gloomy day.....
06:30. Back home after a damp walk in light rain from a clearing sky. My rain gauge in Butts tells me that there must have been quite a lot of rain yesterday and during the night, there is a good flow over the cill of the Corn Mill Dam and it is stained brown. Quite a lot of debris has been blown out of the trees. Not full daylight yet, not high summer!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a showery day yesterday and raining first thing this morning. Still light rain from 100% heavy overcast and dark. Only hopeful sign is that the glass is still rising and is on 1009mb. (I noted this morning that the house core temperature is lower than at any time this 'summer'.) The forecast is for rain until this afternoon brought in on a light SW wind. The high will respond to this wind and reach 18C. One thing I have noted over the last few days is how strongly the grass is growing on the Green.
06:50. Back home after a wet walk. Butts Beck is even higher this morning, 6" solid over the cill and dark brown. The ground must be reaching capacity. Light wind, 100% overcast and a wet morning at least in prospect.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It cleared up yesterday and the glass started a slow rise. At 21:00 last night we had an exceptionally mild west wind and it was dry. The glass is steady on 1016mb this morning. The forecast is for a summery day! Lots of sun, no rain and a light southerly wind which will warm us up to 24C! A bit of a change.....
Back home at 06:45. I spoke too soon, there was a very light shower around 05:30 but we've had a dry walk and the cloud coming in from the west is breaking up nicely. Weak sun coming in under the cloud to the east. Very mild and humid......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a warm day yesterday. At 21:00 last night it was still warmer outside than in the house, dry and a west wind. The glass is back a bit at 1014mb this morning. The forecast is for a dry bright day with a constant westerly wind until late tonight when it will swing into the east. The high will be 20C, slightly cooler than yesterday and some areas could have thunder this afternoon.
06:45. Back after a pleasant walk. Enough cloud to block the sun in the east but dry and calm. Looks like a quiet day but cooler.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

the last council twit who decided on flat roof garages (better than corrigated fibre re-inforced sheeting though , or tin ), forgot to specify white reflective chips as a finish. So even the back is warmed a little too nicely, but then its too dark by 6 ish to see to well. I must learn how to properly fire up the tilley lamps...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Fine at 21:00 last night but raining this morning and what wind there is is in the east. The glass is steady on 1013mb. The forecast is for a showery day with a light easterly wind, unusual because the east is usually a dry quarter. The high will be 17C.
06:35. Back home after a gloomy walk. The rain has ceased but we have 100% thick overcast and no sign of dawn in the East. However, it's mild and I have no doubt the plants are enjoying it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Raining at 21:00 last night and dark. Fair this morning with a clear sky first thing, still mainly clear now but some scattered cloud. The glass is down at 1008mb. The forecast is for a dry bright day with a constant moderate SW breeze and a high of 17C.
06:30. Back after a pleasant walk. Very light wind. The cloud is increasing at the moment and is blocking any sun from the East. Mild and humid, another growy day!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mild and dry at 21:00 last night. Cooler and clear with a heavy dew first thing, at the moment still clear but with high thin cloud. The glass started rising yesterday and this morning is on 1014mb. The forecast is for another mainly bright day with no rain. The main feature is that the wind has reversed direction and will be a light to moderate easterly all day with a high of 19C. Not a bad start to the BH weekend.....
We had a pleasant walk, calm and a heavy frost and more than a hint of Autumn in the air with a slight mist that will soon burn off. Cool enough to make my glasses mist up when I came indoors.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Isolated flash of lightning at 18:00 last night. Dry and fair after rain at 21:00. Fine this morning first thing but at 04:30 we had a thunder storm with heavy rain. The glass is back at 1005mb and the forecast is for early rain and fog but clearing later. The light to moderate wind is mainly NE and the high will be 17C.
06:35. Back after a pleasant walk in the dry on a calm morning. What wind there was during the thunder was from the East but there is hardly any now. The cloud is thinning and breaking up. My rain gauge in Butts tells me that somewhere in the gathering grounds there has been heavy rain during the night, it is running a banker and very badly discoloured. Leaving summer and BH aside, it's a growy morning!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Your rain gauge is correct, there was heavy rain and more thunder around 11pm.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The storm came very close to us around 4.30am, our neighbours at Blearaside had a power surge that took out their phone and router.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

The rain last night was heavy enough to interfere with my satellite downlink signal, absolute zero on both channels from the transponder. It even took Jason Bourne out for a short while, good job I have seen him sort the baddies before. :grin:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I thought it was over Earby.... I never heard a thing Kev! Hard and fast asleep.
Clear last night but foggy this morning at the moment. Glass is up at 1013.5mb. Forecast is for fog until about 8AM then a bright day with full sun. The moderate East wind will keep the high down to 16C.
06:45. Back home after a pleasant walk. The early fog has gone completely and the wind, though forecast to be easterly is coming from the west bringing in broken cloud.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a nice day yesterday and last night at 21:00 it was dry and fair but getting dark sooner! This morning the sky looked overcast first thing and is the same now. The glass is up slightly at 1017mb. The forecast is for a quiet mild day, overcast but with sunny intervals and no rain. The light WSW wind will be constant and the day warmer with a high of 19C.
06:55. A pleasant and uneventful walk. Two things strike me, the speed at which the grass is still growing and the fact that the foliage on the trees is beginning to look a bit tired
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Fair, calm and mild at 21:00 last night. The sky was clear apart from a few thin high clouds. It is calm and mild this morning and as far as I can see we have light overcast. The glass is down at 1010.5mb. The forecast is for a mostly dry bright day but a chance of a shower mid morning. The wind will be moderate, constant and west or SW all day giving a high of 17C.
06:45. Pleasant walk, calm, dry and clearing skies. Not bad for the last day of August.... The renegade cockerel is surviving in Butts and defending its territory against Jack. Things could be worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Heavy mizzle all the way home, brightened up around lunch time.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had more showers than forecast Moh as well but all light rain. Dry and calm this morning and the glass is up slightly at 1014.5mb. The forecast is for a bright overcast day with some sun and no significant rain forecast. The wind will be light, mostly SW and the high will be 16C. A quiet weather day for the first of September.....
06:30. A pleasant walk, calm, dry and mild. There were some threatening looking low rain clouds coming in from the SW when I first went out but they soon passed over and there are now patches of blue sky.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had a touch of light rain but on the whole yesterday was a good day. At 21:00 last night it was fair and dry. This morning there was a light mizzle first thing. The glass is back this morning slightly at 1008mb. The forecast is for a bright overcast day, mainly dry after the light drizzle that is falling at the moment. The wind will be light to moderate SW and the high 16C. Not exciting but it is September!
It had stopped raining by the time we went out and so it was a pleasant walk. The skies are clouded but every sign of them clearing. Noticeable how the days are starting to draw in.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There was less sun and more light rain yesterday than the forecast. Last night it was fair and calm, this morning we have had a very light shower early on but the sky is good, well defined clouds and clear sky in between and it's dry. The glass is steady on 1008mb. The forecast is for a dry bright day until noon and then an afternoon of significant rain. The moderate, mainly southerly wind will swing into the west late tonight and the high is forecast to be 17C.
06:45. Back after a pleasant walk under an almost clear sky. Some cloud out to the East is blocking the sun and the wind is more westerly than southerly. That makes me think that the rain might come in earlier than is forecast. One thing I have noted is that the Barlick forecast tends to lean more on the weather to the East but sometimes the West gets the upper hand.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain came in by 10:00 yesterday and persisted on and off into the night. Dark and drizzling at 21:00 and still at it first thing this morning, the cloud has broken and it's fair at the moment but heavy black clouds coming in again from the west. The glass has fallen sharply to 998mb. The forecast, surprisingly, gives a dry overcast day with a diminishing moderate wind from the West and NW. High of 17C. I think I might take this with a pinch of salt today, those clouds in the west look very threatening!
06:50. Back home after a damp walk, mizzle when we set off but brightening a touch now. One depressing note, the heating is set at just below 18C and it cracked on this morning for ten minutes......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had more rain than was forecast yesterday, it was 14:00 before the sun came out. At 21:00 it was dark, fair and mild. This morning first thing we had mizzle again, it's clearer now and not raining but it doesn't look very promising. The glass is well up at 1009mb. The forecast is for an overcast day with a chance of light rain at any time from 10:00 to 18:00. The light southerly wind persists all day and contributes to a slightly higher temperature of 18C.
07:05. Back after a dry walk but 100% overcast and mild. There is some clear sky in the east but as the wind is southerly it won't be coming across to us!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Same pattern yesterday as the day before, damper than forecast. At 21:00 it was very mild, dry and calm but low threatening cloud on the way in on the west wind. First thing this morning just slightly damp and overcast, same at the moment. The glass is up at slightly over 1014mb. The forecast is for a dry overcast day with a moderate, mainly SW wind. This will raise the high to 21C.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”