Summer 2016

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Summer 2016

Post by Stanley »

Try ditching your pillow Maz? It's worked for me.....
Heavy overcast at 21:00 last night and rain on the wind, very mild this morning and steady rain from a 100% overcast. The glass fell all day yesterday and is still heading downwards, it's on 990mb this morning. The forecast is dead simple, rain until noon and then gradually clearing up as the day goes on. Constant moderate SW/W wind and a high of 15C. Still Barlick holiday weather!
06:35. Back after a reasonable walk. The rain was only light and it is very mild. My rain gauge in Butts tells me that the rain has been constant all night, Butts Beck is roaring over the cill and muddy coloured, heaviest flow for months. Anything that is green is loving this weather, everything is still growing strongly.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We had howling 90km winds for 24 hours. I was up at 5am securing our back gate, which had somehow blown open and was banging loudly. (Febby never heard a thing, or so he claims!) Now that the winds have finally abated, they tell us we are in for 2" of rain and a whopper of a thunderstorm. We abandoned all hope of our daily walk...
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Ok...it's officially wintry here...(I am not feeling the cold but poor hubby can no longer feel his hands and feet). Skies are black, with wind, rain, hail...and there is talk of snow. Trees blowing down and crushing cars/blocking roads/squashing homes.
Can't see us getting a walk in today either.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Is this unusual where you are?
Clear mild and dry at 21:00 last night after a generally showery day. Broken cloud coming in from the west at the moment. The glass dropped to just below 989mb yesterday but then started rising, it's on 1003mb now. The forecast is for a dry bright day with a light to moderate West wind all day. High of 16C.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

WP_20160712_09_44_12_Pro.jpg
We have 10C today and an arctic chill, it's freezing Brrr...
These winters are getting colder and colder.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Back at 06:15 after a pleasant walk in shirt sleeves and padded waistcoat in low sun coming in from the East.

What struck me was the scaffolding in Newtown.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

You ask if this is unusual, Stanley.
Yes...AND tonight's weather update says Alice Springs ( right in the middle of the outback) will have a "high" of just 13C tomorrow....I have never known that before.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

High broken cloud at 21:00 last night, dry and cooler. The cloud was moving very slowly but appeared to be on a NW wind, very hard to tell. Heavy broken could this morning and still cool. The glass is rising, up at a fraction above 1009mb. The forecast is for a cool (15C) bright overcast day with no rain. The constant moderate wind will be from the west but tending to NW at times. The low that has been affecting us us obviously moving away to the east and the outlook for the next few days is for things to warm up slightly.
06:15. Back after a pleasant walk. It's cool but dry, I have had worse walks in July! No sun as yet, the overcast is too heavy....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I think he comes on thru the back door Maz... :wink:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Aye... :laugh5:
Wearing dark glasses and doesn't put the light on...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dig 'til you find the cause Maz. Interrupted sleep is miserable.....
Cool dry and west moving high broken cloud at 21;00 last night. 50% clear sky this morning, dry, cool and a heavy dew. The glass is is still rising, just over 1015mb this morning.The forecast is dead simple, a re-run of yesterday. High of 17C, plenty of sun through a light overcast and a light to moderate west wind all day. No rain forecast.
06:15. A pleasant shirt sleeve walk on a sunny morning. Noticeable that the sun isn't as high at 06:00 as it was in June.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

100% overcast but dry at 21:00 last night. Broken overcast and dry this morning. The glass is up slightly at 1017.5mb. The forecast is for a dry overcast day until 10:00 when the chance of a shower increases until 17:00. The wind is moderate SW and the high is 17C. Barlick summer.....
We were back home at 06:30 after a pleasant shirt sleeve walk on a mild, humid morning under 100% overcast. Nothing significant to report other than the convoy of silage making traffic heading through the town from the agricultural contractors at Lane Ends. Remembering my farming days, the equipment is quite enormous! I hope they have a good cut.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Broken cloud but mild and dry at 21:00 last night. Mild and raining steadily this morning first thing and the same as I write, it's that fine steady rain that wets you faster than any other sort! Very mild. The glass is down a touch at 1015mb. The forecast is for the rain to cease in the next hour and be followed by an overcast but sometimes sunny day with a high of 16C. The wind will be a constant light to moderate westerly all day. Very growy! What caught my eye in the outlook is that they are forecasting a high of 25C for Tuesday! Jack and I will hold on until the rain stops......
06:35. Back in the hutch after a dry walk, the forecast was right. The cloud is breaking up and it is very mild. If nothing else, a growy day!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

High broken cloud, dry and mild at 21:00. Broken cloud this morning, clear sky coming in from the west at the moment. The glass is rock steady on 1015mb. The forecast is for a dry bright day with plenty of sun, high of 17C. Wind constant moderate from the west. The forecast high for Tuesday has gone up to 27C! I shall miss Barlick's hottest day... Wonder what it will be at Keele. We are at Ironbridge and Blist Hill that day......
06:40. back in after a pleasant walk. High scattered cirrus cloud but small rain clouds at low level, enough to block the sun from the East but not enough to deliver any rain. A heavy dew. A lady in a car stopped and asked me if I had seen a Boxer dog. I told her, sorry I hadn't but I wished her well in her search.... Horrible when a dog goes AWOL.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry and mild at 21:00 last night. Dry and mild this morning under an overcast sky so no dew as yet. Glass is still rock steady at 1015mb. Forecast is for an overcast day, brighter later, high of 22C and a light west wind all day. Tomorrow is still forecast to reach 27C. Looks like a hot week for me down the country.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The temperature here reached 28.9C, a fraction short of the predicted 29. We have had a light breeze for most of the day, turning Easterly later on. If it was so hot up here at nearly 1000 feet, I don't like to think how hot it must have been down in the valleys. I'm useless in heat and malfunction at anything over 20C.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Very hot around Lister Well and Weets today, I did a six miles on a new geocache series foray. My walking time was 2.5 hours but I was out 5 hours in total with my stops at the various cache sites I found. Food and hydration with me of course but I was very warm by the time I got home. Shower was fantastic!
Ian
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Vehicle temp display reckoned 33degC in Clitheroe at 2ish, 32 in Burnley a bit later. I think I might have seen a 34deg flash up while out. Heat affecting train services , so much of my afternoon plans disappeared.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was traipsing round Ironbridge Gorge on Tuesday and it was hot....... Too hot to try to teach the kids and at one point it was getting to me, I cured that by popping into a pub and drinking two halves of some of the best bitter beer I have ever tasted, I think it was Banks'. Our other trips to Quarry Bank, Gladstone Pottery and the Black Country Museum were hot and sunny but not on the same level as Tuesday. I got sunburnt and when Susan saw me yesterday she said how well I looked. I always favour a 'farmer's tan' but was sleeveless so my arms are a better colour than they have been for twenty years!
Warm evening at 21:00 and this morning it is misty, the sun hasn't burned through yet. The glass is on 1014mb. The forecast is good, another bright sunny day once the mist clears. A high of 20C and a light breeze from the west all day. As good as it gets for a Barlick summer!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 21:00 last night it was mild, overcast, dry and a light west wind. Same this morning. We have had our walk and it was a very pleasant walk but with no sun, 100% overcast. My rain gauge in Butts is down to a trickle over the cill. The glass
has started falling in the last two hours and is down to 1012mb, this could mean some rain later. The forecast confirms this, it will be bright overcast with spells of sunshine until around 13:00 when there is an 80% chance of a spell of rain and possibly a light shower or two later in the day. The wind at the moment is a very light westerly but during the day it will back to the SW and rise to a moderate breeze, The forecast high is 18C with very high humidity. Still summer weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was cooler, dry and overcast at 21:00 last night. This morning we had a dry morning, broken cloud and a moderate west wind first thing. By the time we went for a walk we had a lovely sunny morning but now we are back heavy cloud has rolled in from the west and it looks as though a shower may be imminent. The glass is down again at just over 1009mb. The forecast is for a bright overcast day, high of 16C with a constant moderate west wind. No rain forecast. (And it is brightening up again....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cool and dry at 21:00 last night. Damp and mild with fine mizzle this morning. The glass started rising yesterday about teatime and this morning is on almost 1013mb. The forecast is for an overcast day with a high of 17C. The early rain shower will soon cease and there is no more rain forecast until late this evening. The wind is very light at the moment but will increase to a moderate South Westerly and be constant all day. Like yesterday, not blazing summer but a good growy day. The pastures and gardens are doing well.
06:45. The rain had ceased and I had my Hogg coat on just in case but it was a bit warm! No sun but pleasant. I met one of my dog walking mates who told me that at one point it rained hard during the night and he had to get up and close his loft window. Nothing like that here so it must have been a very localized shower. It's OK, I've had worse walks in July!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry last night with a falling barometer. Quite heavy rain first thing this morning but I have hung back a bit and it's fair now. The glass is still falling and is on 1005mb. The forecast is for the rest of the day to be dry with sunny intervals. A high of 17C and a constant moderate west wind which will at times tend to the NW. The outlook is unsettled. Not summer but not bad weather!
07:00. Back home after a pleasant dry walk. My rain gauge in Butts tells me that there was a reasonable fall of rain early this morning, there is a normal fall over the cill of the dam. I put a tee shirt on under a short sleeved shirt this morning and wore my padded waistcoat. I could have done without the waistcoat, it was mild. Still good growing weather the gardeners and farmers are doing well this year.
Wendy, bring Dennis and Sparky down here and let them eat my mint off.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was cool and dry last night at 21:00 with a moderate NW wind and scattered high cirrus cloud. More overcast first thing this morning but we had an early walk, back at 05:50 and the cloud is a high overcast which is breaking up at the moment. A cool but pleasant dry walk. The glass fell yesterday but started to recover and is tending to fall once more, it is just over 1007mb at the moment. The forecast is for a cooler day, 15C and by 09:00 rain is expected on the light to moderate mainly Southern wind wind it will not clear fully until 20:00 tonight.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Damp from the afternoon showers but not raining at 21:00 last night. 100% overcast and light drizzle this morning. The glass is back down to 1001.5mb. The forecast is for a showery morning and a brighter afternoon. The wind starts light in the SW but for the rest of the day is moderate and variable from all over the Northern quarter. Despite this the high is forecast to be 19C. Not high summer but as usual very good for gardens and crops.
06:45. Back from the butcher's after a walk in light drizzle. No problem and hopefully it will clear up later. Not holiday weather but good for crops and gardens. I noticed yesterday that some of the nettles in Butts are 6ft high!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”