TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

We got a bit of sun in the afternoon yesterday. At 20:00 it was clearing, dry and a light breeze. This morning first thing it was clear as a bell, dry, calm and cool. It's still the same now but perhaps just a little overcast coming in. The glass is up on 1009mb and rising. The forecast is for a dry overcast day with more rain coming in this evening after 18:00. The constant east wind is light and gives a high of 12C and a low of 10C with a -2C wind chill most of the day.
06:10. A pleasant walk on a cool morning. The cloud is broken but enough to obscure the stars, it's calm and dry which is a great improvement! Butts Beck is still running very strongly. Not a bad morning at all.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As promised the rain came in as it went dark. At 20:00 it was breezy and raining. Still breezy and raining first thing this morning and it hasn't changed. The glass rose slightly yesterday but started falling in the afternoon, it's on 1002mb this morning. The forecast is for rain all day with the exception of a possible lull late morning. The moderate wind starts as ESE and ends with that but in between touches all northerly parts of the compass. It gives a high of 13C and a low of 10C tonight but for most of the day is about 11C with a -2C wind chill. Very similar weather expected all week so wrap up warm!
04:45. The rain is heavy now..... Deep Joy!
06:20. Back in the hutch. I put full wet weather gear on and was resigned to Jack getting soaking wet. not so! It stopped raining as we went out and the wind has dropped, so we had a dry walk. I am not complaining.
It must have rained all night, Butts Beck is thundering over the dam in Butts perhaps even higher than a couple of days ago. (I was listening to the accounts of the Big Dry in Australia... Very unfair!)
I have looked at the weather map and we might be lucky, this band of rain is heading east and we are on the western fringe of it. Perhaps it won't be as wet as the forecast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had a dry spell yesterday in the morning then more rain in the early afternoon. At 20:00 it was just starting to rain. First thing this morning it was dry but by the time we set off for our walk at 05:45 we had a light wind and rain. Not serious but Jack needed a rub down when we got home. From the state of the puddles and the flow over the Corn Mill Dam there wasn't a great weight of rain overnight. The glass is up on 1010mb and tending to fall. The forecast is for a wet day with a lull perhaps during the morning. The mainly southerly wind is brisk and constant giving a high of 12C and a low of 10C with a -3C wind chill for most of the day. The outlook is for broadly similar weather for the next week.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had a drier end to the day and at 20:00 it was breezy and dry with breaking cloud. During the night it was clear and dry and when we went out for our walk, it was dry, breezy and large patches of sky still clear. The glass fell all day yesterday and this morning is on 997mb and still falling. The forecast is for a bright day with sunny intervals but some heavy showers. The constant SW wind is brisk all day and gives a high of 13C and a low of 9C with a with a wind chill of -3C all day. The outlook shows no change, the next two days will be a bit cooler.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Rain prevailed by evening and at 20:00 it was windy and wet. First thing this morning it was not raining but still breezy and the flags were wet, it must have rained during the night. I've just looked outside and we have light rain. The glass is down a bit and steady on 994mb. The forecast is very similar to yesterday but more and heavier rain. The constant SW wind is brisk and gusty at times giving a high of 11C and a low of 8C with a -3C wind chill. Looks like a cold wet day!
15:55. Back in the hutch after a walk in full wet weather gear triggered by the fact it was raining heavily when I got dressed. However, Sod's Law kicked in and we had very light rain and at times none at all, Jack didn't get wet enough for a rub down. I am not complaining.... All that aside we have 100% overcast and I have no doubt that the forecast will be proved correct, there's a lot of rain to come.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I don't know about you but yesteryear was just the day to be caught by a sharp shower out of a sunny sky! It got me. At 20:00 it was breezy, cool and we had another shower. First thing this morning it was breezy, cool and all was wet after a recent shower but then it was fair. Since then the wind has fallen and we have steady light rain.
The glass is slowly rising and on a shade over 997mb. The forecast is for a similar day to yesterday, rain and sharp showers at any time with an occasional glimpse of the sun. The constant SW wind is moderate and gusty at times giving a high of 13C and a low of 11C tonight with a wind chill of -4C at the moment improving to -3C for the rest of the day. The foreseeable outlook is for depressingly similar weather.
06:10. We set off under ragged cloud, a brisk wind and light rain. By the time we reached the head of Butts the sky was mostly clear, it had stopped raining and the stars were brilliant. Ten minutes later as we arrived back at the hutch, it was clouded over with ragged cloud again. That's how fast the weather is moving this morning!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Intermittent rain all day yesterday. At 20:00 it was still raining. First thing this morning we had damp flags but it was not actually raining, still the same, overcast, but with an occasional big spot of rain. The glass is down slightly on 995mb. The forecast is simple, rain, at times heavy, until early afternoon. The constant moderate (gusty at times) WSW wind gives a high of 12C and a low of 9C with a -3C wind chill until afternoon when it reduces to -2C. There is a yellow weather warning for the rain which is quite localised. We are getting the downside of living in a maritime climate dominated by the Atlantic, a series of lows is marching towards us. On the positive side, this is what ensures we never break world records for weather readings so we shouldn't complain too much!
Ten minutes later we have heavy rain.....
06:45. We are back indoors and all the wet weather gear off and drying. Jack is rubbed down, sausaged and feeling no pain. From all this you might have guessed that we had heavy rain there and back. Thank God for efficient waterproof clothing.
Only one thing of note, the dick who came down from the direction of the town centre while I was crossing Skipton Road. He screeched round the corner and all I could do was wave my arms, no chance of dodging him. He managed to top, just and I told him he was a stupid bugger and ought to get up earlier in the morning. A close shave and it illustrates that no matter how careful you are, life is a lottery!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Do you and Jack wear a fluorescent vests when you are out on these dark mornings Stanley?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No Wendy and that's a very good point which has occurred to me as well! Having said that I was in the middle of a well lit road.
Just had our short walk and it's still raining heavily....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It's still hard to see pedestrians in dark clothing, especially when it's wet.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Agreed.... I shall be rectifying the position today one way or another!
The story yesterday was rain, lots of it until the afternoon when, as per the forecast, it bated but returned in the evening. At 20:00 it was raining and first thing this morning, though dry, the flags were wet from overnight showers. It's still dry and a few stars visible. The glass is up slightly on 997mb. The forecast is for a dry overcast start with some sunny spells during the morning and early afternoon. The constant SW wind is lighter than yesterday giving a high of 12C and a low of 9C tonight. Expect a wind chill of -2C all day. The outlook is for similar weather, no change in sight.
06:00. It was raining a bit when we went out but soon cleared and we have had a dry walk on a calm morning. The light scattered cloud leaves room for a lot of clear sky. Still a very heavy flow over the cill of the Corn Mill dam despite only light rain overnight.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

For a change we had a dry day. At 20:00 it was still dry and also first thing this morning when we had a full Hunter's Moon shining through high broken cloud. It has moved on now but it is still dry. The glass is almost unchanged on 998mb. The forecast isn't good, the dry weather will only last until about 08:00, after that we have rain, at times heavy, for the rest of the day. The light to moderate wind starts in the east but around mid afternoon backs to SW as the Atlantic low reasserts itself. Expect a high of 10C and a low of 7C with a -2C wind chill as the wind strengthens later.
06:00. A dry calm walk under what I suspect is thickening overcast, hard to tell because you can't see it. So nice to only have to wear my Dickie corduroy coat with no waterproofs. However we will be lucky to escape rain on our next short walk, might go a bit early!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There had been a light shower but we chanced it without waterproofs. Very still out there but dry and I wonder how much rain we'll get.... Good call going a bit early.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not quite the weight of rain that was forecast, but a showery day. At 20;00 it was raining but during the night it cleared and we had a brilliant full moon. First thing this morning we still had the moon but it was evidently hazy as the moon had two halos, one around it and another enormous one half a sky across. I thought at the time it was very close to a moonbow but as I have never seen one of them I can't be sure. I've just looked out and the large halo has gone, the sky is clear and stars are visible as is a plane flying overhead at 28,000 feet and doing 411 knots. Flight Tracker is great! It's a DHL freight out of East Midlands Airport, destination unknown. The red-eye from Toronto to Schipol is just about to cross Barlick airspace.
The glass is up again on 1003mb. The forecast is for a drier day, bright overcast with sunny intervals. The constant light SE/SW wind gives us a high of 12C and a low of 8C with a -2C wind chill most of the day. A bit more settled, could it be the full moon influencing the weather again?
06:10. A nice walk on a calm but slightly more overcast morning. I mat Pepe and his companion and we had a nice chat as they were racing round the Co-op car park. Edie is teething but is walking and can say Pepe's name! I saw a clip of her doing it.

Not a pretty sight I admit and God alone knows why I pull these funny faces! But the point is the reflective harness. Will this do Wendy?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Yes that's better but the face is a bit scary!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It is isn't it! God knows why I was doing it. A good move I think, drivers are so careless these days.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I thought the harness was meant to be to put on the dog. :smile:

I fully approve though - it will protect you and not be too onerous to wear.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Elasticated David and you hardly know you have it on. Susan approves also....
Yesterday was mainly dry but it got very gloomy towards nightfall and at 20:00 it was raining. First thing this morning everything was damp after overnight rain but it was calm, dry and overcast, heavy enough to obscure the moon. Still the same as I write. The glass rose a touch yesterday but this morning is down on a shade above 996mb. The forecast is a re-run of yesterday, quiet, dry and overcast all day. The constant light, mainly westerly wind gives us a high of 12C and a low of 9C with a -1C wind chill. The only variation in the outlook is for there to be perhaps less overcast, but otherwise more of the same.
05:50. A pleasant walk on a calm, mild dry morning. Thick overcast, I saw moonglow just briefly only once.
I checked with a neighbour who was setting off to work in his car and asked how the reflective material showed up in the headlights (You can't see it yourself) and he said it was brilliant and made him think about his kids.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 15 Oct 2019, 03:20 he said it was brilliant and made him think about his kids.....
Have you ever thought of getting a pair of shoes that kids wear that light up at every step they take. They always make me smile. Of course we adults would never think of wearing such a childish thing even though it may save your life. Funny animals aren't we?
Last edited by plaques on 15 Oct 2019, 11:30, edited 1 time in total.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I don’t think I will keep the last pic of you in your reflective harness Stanley, but I am glad you are wearing it. :extrawink:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

They don't make Trickers with light up heels P.
Cathy, I don't blame you. That's the general opinion!
Yesterday was quite pleasant. At 20:00 it was overcast and dry. Same first thing this morning, moon just visible through broken cloud so an improvement. I have just had a look and the overcast is thinning. The glass is down a touch on 994mb. The forecast is for rain from 06:00 to mid morning then mostly sunny for the rest of the day. The light wind starts in the SE but as the rain stops it backs into the west and becomes moderate and gusty giving a high of 12C and a low of 5C tonight. The west wind gives us a wind chill of -2C.
05:40. Yes, I went out early to escape the rain. When I looked outside we had light rain so waterproof coat on and off we went. It stopped raining as soon as we stepped into the back street. Never mind, we've had a pleasant walk on a calm mild morning. 100% overcast now, no sign of the moon.
The bad news is that the conical emitters have appeared on the lamp posts on Skipton Road.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It started raining on time.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast yesterday was spot on. A very acceptable afternoon with plenty of sun, a bit chilly but cheerful! At 20:00 we had a perfectly clear sky, presaging a cold night. First thing this morning it was still clear, brilliant moon and a bit nippy, we could be close to a grass frost later. Still the same, the air is like wine! (Did you see the report yesterday that suggests that people living in heavily polluted cities lose ten years of life?)
The glass is up slightly on 998mb.(I like small barometric shifts, generally a sign of quiet weather.) The forecast is for a dry sunny day until early evening when there is a chance of rain coming in. The constant southerly wind is light to moderate giving a high of 12C and a low of 8C with up to -3C wind chill at times. A good day for a walk Ian! The outlook is for similar weather, dry and a bit cooler. (They were forecasting rain tomorrow but that seems to have changed.)
06:10. We have had a dry walk on a calm morning under clear skies. It's cold but no frost as yet. However I doubt if you'll escape ice on the windscreens as we get close to dawn.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just had our short walk. No frost but it's cold. I think we are into Crombie weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain came in as forecast at dusk but otherwise it was an acceptable day. At 20:00 it was cold and raining. First thing this morning it was cool, dry and overcast. Since then cold steady rain has started. The glass is down on 990mb. The forecast is for rain at almost any time today with some sunny intervals. The constant light SW wind gives a high of 11C and a low of 7C with a -2C wind chill rising to -3C at times. It's a chilly day so wrap up warm and keep moving! The outlook is drier but a little cooler.
06:40. We were lucky, there was a lull in the rain and so we had a calm dry walk to the butcher's and back. Only one thing spoiled the morning, I was almost across the road outside Forester's Buildings when a car came flying down the road and just managed to skid to a halt before it hit me. Reflective harness counts for nothing if a driver is asleep at the wheel or on his phone. Very worrying!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”