TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

Those fires fill the news here Maz.
Yesterday the rain came in as forecast at dinnertime and it was miserable out there, cold strong wind and horizontal rain. At 20:00 it was calmer, dry and we had broken cloud. Same this morning. The glass fell during the evening but has risen back to 1014mb. The forecast is for a cloudy start then light rain coming in as it gets light and continuing all day. The wind is a strong gusty SW giving a high of 12C and a low of 5C. -4C wind chill. Not a cheerful prospect!
06:00. Back from a dry walk on a breezy, cool morning under broken cloud. Still very quiet in the town. The illuminated balloon in the tree on the Green still shines brightly.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain came in as forecast, a wet afternoon walk. At 20:00 it was breezy, dry and large clear holes in the overcast. This morning first thing it was the same. No change as I write. The glass fell yesterday to below 1010 but has recovered a bit and is just below 1011mb. The forecast is for a cloudy start then dry and sunny intervals throughout the day. The constant westerly wind is moderate and gives a high of 7C and a low of 2C with a wind chill of up to -4C depending on wind strength. Slightly better than yesterday and the outlook is for similar windy weather but generally dry apart from Saturday when rain is forecast.
06:10. We have had a pleasant walk on a mild dry morning with only a light wind.Very acceptable. The Xmas balloon in the tree on the Green is still shining brightly!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not a bad day at all yesterday. At 20:00 we had broken cloud, a light breeze and it was dry. First thing this morning we had light rain on the breeze. I've just popped me head out and it is the same, very light rain. The glass has fallen to 998mb and is still falling rapidly. The forecast is not cheerful, light rain, heavy overcast and fog brightening up to bright overcast by evening. The wind is moderate and all over the place, everything from east to SW and ending up as NW later in the day. The high is 8C and the low zero. The wind chill starts this morning at -5C but moderates later to -3C . A cold gloomy day so wrap up warm if you have to be out in it. The outlook is brighter and colder tomorrow, rain on Saturday and then back to brighter and colder for the rest of the week. The jet stream and the Atlantic lows are still in charge. Full moon tomorrow.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

41C today and 23C tomorrow.
Kangaroo Island is still burning 🔥
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We've had a wet walk, Jack is rubbed down and sausaged, I am warming up and drying out. There has been more rain during the night than I thought, the puddles are full and there is a heavy flow over the Corn Mill Dam in Butts.
The balloon on the Green is still lit....

Not easy to photograph but here it is.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a horrible gloomy day with light rain never completely absent. At 20:00 it was dry and clearing skies. This morning it was colder, calmer and crystal clear with a glorious full moon. Still looks the same. The glass is up on 1014mb and still rising. The forecast is for a dry clear day until nightfall when cloud will start to come in. The constant SW wind will be light giving a high of 6C and a low of 4C with a -3C wind chill at first but then -2C for the rest of the day. Could be a frost by the time we go to the butcher's. Tomorrow and Sunday still look wet but then dry and cold weather coming in.
06:30. Nice walk, no frost, some scattered cloud but moon still breaking through. This and better will do.
The Balloon is still lit and I see there are others in the same trees but they have gone out.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Later. A slight frost developed but didn't last long. Just had our short walk and it's quite nice out there if a bit chilly. Very little wind.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was brighter than the forecast and warmer. At 20:00 we had a breeze, clear sky and dry. This morning first thing more wind, dry and overcast, it's still the same as I write. The glass rose yesterday to 1019mb by nightfall but is down now on 1014mb and still falling, the next Atlantic low heading in! Dry and overcast until late morning when rain will come in for the rest of the day. The constant SW wind is strong and gusting to 50mph giving a high of 10C and a low of 6C with a -4C wind chill. Not as bad as the outlook was suggesting a few days ago. No big change in the outlook.
It will be windy up at Lower Burnt Hill today, don't get blown over Wendy!
06:15. A mild windy walk on a dry morning. Heavy overcast. Moon glow through the clouds. The sky is gradually getting lighter before dawn as the days slowly lengthen, very welcome.
The 'balloon' on the Green is still lit.
Later... I have chanced it and hung a duvet cover outside. The other is over the bannister on the landing....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's not come properly light yet...... Depressing!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast was right, Rain came in after 15:00, just after our second walk. I congratulated myself on good timing! At 20:00 It was raining heavily. Only light rain first thing this morning and broken cloud. Brilliant moonlight, it almost cast a shadow. Since then it's clouded over a little. The glass is down on 1007mb. The forecast is rain most of today easing to broken cloud and showers early afternoon onwards. The constant westerly wind starts light but strengthens and becomes gusty mid morning. High of 6C and a low of 3C. As the wind rises the wind chill reaches -4C and makes it feel like freezing most of the day. No change in the outlook but Tuesday could be a wet day.
06:00. According to the forecast it should have been raining but it was calm and dry, so a Crombie walk not a waterproof one. The 'Balloon' is either out or has been removed.
The item of attention was a huge pile of shattered toughened glass in the Station Road bus shelter. Some moron has smashed the large end panel and we will be paying for it! CCTV monitoring? It's quite shocking.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Later, second walk in heavy cold rain! So much for my eastern and western weather! Jack is rubbed down and I am having egg and bacon!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain that was forecast came in late and didn't last long but was cold and hard while it lasted. At 20:00 the sky had cleared, it was breezy and dry. First thing this morning we had scattered broken thin cloud, a brilliant moon nevertheless. Still the same but clearer and cold. The glass rose slightly yesterday but has fallen since to 1006mb and still falling. The forecast is bright intervals and dry until noon and then cloud and rain come in. The constant southerly wind is moderate but gusty all day and gives a high of 7C and a low of 3C. The wind chill is -4C at the moment but will rise to as much as -6C during the day meaning that the perceived temperature will never be much above 0C. That could be some very cold rain this afternoon! Tomorrow looks nasty and wet as a very deep low comes in from the Atlantic. After that back to brighter but cold weather with occasional rain.....
05:55. The Shipping Forecast was informative, the very strong depression named Storm Brendan by the Irish Met Service is being driven by a very strong jet stream to the NW of Scotland. It's this that's dominating our weather down here. We have had a short walk, I am being kind to myself, it's cold, windy and not mentioned in the forecast, some light rain blowing on the wind but hardly qualifying as wet. Back in the warm.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The heavy rain came in yesterday but didn't last long. By 20:00 the wind had dropped, it was dry and large parts of the sky were clear. first thing this morning it was the same. Just popped outside and the only change is some very thin high cloud coming on but the moon is still there with a halo. The glass dropped to 980mb yesterday but has recovered to 984mb, still rising extremely slowly. The forecast is for rain all day but at the moment it's dry. The constant SW wind is brisk and gusts of up to 50mph can be expected. The high is 9C and the low 4C with as much as -5C wind chill in the strongest winds. The outlook is for slightly improved weather after today.
I notice from Flight Tracker that incoming flights from America are flying unusually high at 41,000 feet and taking advantage of the strong jet stream.
05:55. Back home after a dry walk under a clear sky despite the wet forecast. The Shipping Forecast gives the game away, gale warnings in all areas bar Trafalgar and in the north wind as high as Force 11, severe storm. I feel for anyone out at sea in this weather. The price of fish!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not a nice day yesterday, one very wet walk in the afternoon. At 20:00 the sky was clearing, the wind had slackened and it was only raining slightly. First thing this morning we had a light breeze, it was dry and the sky almost completely clear. Since then a bit of high light cloud is coming in but the moon is still visible. The glass fell yesterday to below 980mb but started recovering in the afternoon and is still rising, it's on 987mb. The forecast is for light cloud which will clear this morning to give a sunny dry day. The constant SW wind is brisk and gusty giving a high of 7C and a low of 4C with a constant wind chill of -5C which means it will feel cold all day so wrap up! The outlook is for similar weather, colder and brighter next week.
06:00. We did the normal Valley Gardens walk this morning, I have only done short ones for the last two days. No problem at all on an acceptable dry walk under a sky that, apart from some scattered light cloud is clear. There is a breeze and when you're exposed to it it's cold enough to make your eyes water! But, I have had a lot worse at this time of year.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was dry but cold. At 20:00 it was clear, dry and cold. First thing this morning it was calm, clear and dry with brilliant moonlight. We've had our walk and its quite pleasant for the time of year, calm, dry and not as cold as recent weather. I was a bit later and it was noticeably lighter, the days are slowly lengthening.
The glass rose all day yesterday and is up on 1007mb and steady. The forecast is for a bright dry day until noon and then a spell of rain lasting until early evening. The wind is moderate with gusts all day and mostly from the south. It gives a high of 9C and a low of 5C with a -4C wind chill most of the day so wrap up warm.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain came in as forecast yesterday but was very light. At 20:00 the wind had dropped and the cloud was breaking but light rain was still falling. First thing this morning it had just started raining after a dry night, very light wind. Just looked out and we still have light rain and wind but the cloud had thinned, the moon is visible with a halo. The glass has fallen during the night to 998mb but is rising again. The forecast is for the light rain to last until late morning then brighter until nightfall with light rain coming in again then. The constant W/SW wind is lighter and gives a high of 6C and a low of 1C with a constant -4C wind chill. Brighter outlook for Saturday and Sunday but colder with morning frost, then back to overcast and light rain for the rest of the week.
06:40. This morning's walk to the butcher's was horribly wet. Just as we left the house seriously heavy cold rain started and lasted until we were half way back when it ceased. Jack has had a good rub down and a sausage and is feeling no pain, I am dry of course except for damp trousers but I shall survive that! Not the best Friday morning walk ever!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain gradually eased during the afternoon but at 20:00, despite clearing skies and a lighter wind there was still light rain in the air. Overnight the sky cleared and first thing this morning it was damp underfoot and overcast but with big breaks, occasionally the moon was brilliantly clear. I've just looked out and it is clear and drying, there will be a frost and with some damp surfaces it could be slippy underfoot. The glass is up on 1016mb and still rising. The forecast is for a dry, clear and colder day. The westerly winds are much lighter and give a high of 5C and a low of -3C tonight with a -4C wind chill for most of the day. The outlook is the same tomorrow and then warmer and more cloud for the rest of the week.
05:50. Back early from our walk as you can see. I decided that an early walk was best. There isn't any frost yet but I expect there to be one soon and the pavements are wet in places so we can expect treacherous conditions. It's clear, dry and calm so it was a very pleasant walk for the time of year!
08:45. We've had our second walk and there are some nasty patches of ice on some pavements. Be careful if you are out there!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dry and bright all day. At 20:00 the sky was clearing, it was calm dry and cold. First thing this morning, calm, a totally clear sky and a hard frost, no change in the last two hours. The glass has risen to 1036mb and is still rising. The forecast is for a clear day until nightfall then cloud coming in. The light constant westerly wind starts NNW and ends WSW giving a high of 4C and a low of 2C with a wind chill varying with wind speed but finishing at -3C this evening. The effect is that the frost will persist until afternoon. Tomorrow will be bright and slightly warmer after that it warms a little but becomes more cloudy for the rest of the week.
06:05. A very cold walk on a clear, calm morning. A sharp frost and all underfoot is frozen and sparkling. No problem because most surfaces dried yesterday and I am wearing the right boots! Very clear with stars and a brilliant crescent moon low in the South. What me mother would have called 'a healthy morning', I have little doubt she was right.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely crisp morning out there! The met office forecasts that the pressure could top 1050mb later today. A very high value. The highest recorded in Britain was 1054.7mb (31.15 in), in Aberdeen on 31 January 1902. They say we could beat that perhaps.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a bright cold day, nice change. At 20:00 it was calm, overcast and dry, not as cold. Same first thing this morning and I've just looked out, it's still the same, no sign of moon and stars. The glass reached 1042mb and is steady on that but might be falling very slowly. The forecast is for the cloud to clear by mid morning and then a sunny day until nightfall when cloud comes in again, dry. The constant WSW wind is moderate giving a high of 6C and a low of 4C with a -4C wind chill all day, There could be a light grass frost. The outlook is for similar weather for the rest of the week but more cloud. No rain in sight.
06:10. Back from a decent walk as long as you are wrapped up well. The sky is still overcast and the wind has got up, very cold if you are exposed to it and the first signs of some wet surfaces beginning to ice up if they are exposed to the wind but nothing serious as yet. We didn't have any trouble.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 08:48 Lovely crisp morning out there! The met office forecasts that the pressure could top 1050mb later today. A very high value. The highest recorded in Britain was 1054.7mb (31.15 in), in Aberdeen on 31 January 1902. They say we could beat that perhaps.
1035mb is the magic number for potential enhanced conditions for VHF frequency radio transmission. With prolonged high pressure that stretches out over mainland Europe it could lead to temperature inversion layers and tropospheric ducting effects. VHF signals are effectively ground based but can be boosted by high pressure tropospheric weather events. My best contact on 144Mhz (2M band) from Barlick was down into Italy!
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I once had to explain to a South Wales fire service why they could hear a Hungarian VHF broadcast radio station on their channels. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

:biggrin2: :good:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I once had a problem with unshielded microphone cables picking up Nord West Deutsche Rundfunk when we were trying to record Lillibullero for an AV show at Pendle Heritage Centre.
Nice day yesterday over in Yorkshire as well. At 20:00 it was cool, a light breeze and overcast but dry. Same first thing this morning and it has not changed since. The glass has fallen sightly to 1038mb after reaching a peak of 1043mb, so no new record here! The forecast is for a dry bright overcast day, possible sunny spells late morning, mist and fog perhaps at nightfall. The constant light WSW wind gives a high of 7C and a low of 6C with a -3C wind chill most of the day. The outlook is for similar settled weather. We are doing well! I noted yesterday that the Daffodils are sprouting on the Green, a nice little harbinger of better weather to come.
06:05. Back from a very acceptable walk. The sky has cleared in the last couple of hours, just a few scattered clouds but the stars are visible. Very light wind and chilly but not cold. This and better will do!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

"Lillbullero" got me thinking, way off topic. The only version I have heard was the one performed by Bellowhead, it seems they were actually singing "The Farmer's Curst Wife" to the same tune as other, more political versions of the song. Didn't we also sing "There was an old woman tossed up in a basket" to the same tune?

Here's Bellowhead. :smile:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2ND6iE5QPE

Return to “Seasons”