TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

I think yesterday afternoon was warmer than the 23C they forecast. At 20:00 it was calm clear and dry. First thing this morning there was evidence of a light overnight shower but it was clear, calm and dry again. Same as I write. The glass is up slightly at 1019mb, normally a good sign but this is what is ending the Indian Summer as it is high pressure to the North and this is going to circulate cold weather down to us. The forecast is for a dry day but a mixture of cloud and sunny intervals. The wind starts very light from the west but in the next couple of hours will start to swing to NE and gain strength to moderate later. This cools us down and we can expect no more that 16C as a high and 9C as a low with a -2C chill later. The outlook is for dry sunny weather but much cooler with single figures at night. Looks like the end of our brief Indian summer!
05:05. An early and interesting walk! It's clear, calm and we have a light mist. For the first time I can remember it's warmer now, at 16C, than it will be at any time today as we have no wind chill. There was another strange thing, when I went out there was a very bright light shining North from somewhere in the vicinity of the gasworks. It was the scale of brightness you'd expect from the 'night sun' light on the Police helicopter. It had gone out by the time I got back home. Very peculiar. (The two white lights on the toilets in the Pioneer car park were far brighter than usual this morning, they have been damaged for a while and I suspect new ones have been fitted.)
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Our weather station was showing 27° yesterday afternoon. We aren't convinced that it's accurate but it was uncomfortable out there and I was relieved to finish cutting grass and come indoors.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wendy, that confirms my feeling about the afternoon. It was pleasant yesterday but not as warm. At 20:00 it was dry calm and quiet with a light overcast, same first thing this morning. I've just had a look outside and my impression is that it's clearing. The glass is well up on 1027mb. The forecast is for full sun all day. We have a very light easterly air flow giving a high of 17C and a low of 8C tonight with a wind chill of up to -2C. Once more we have the strange phenomenon of it being warmer now than it will be mid morning. The outlook is for this settled sunny weather to persist into next week.
05:25. A good walk. Quiet, a light cool breeze and the sky is clearing, I have little doubt that the sun will put his hat on. This is reinforced by the shipping forecast, almost all areas report fair with good visibility.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was as promised, bright and sunny but cool. At 20:00 it was cool, calm, clear and dry and was the same first thing this morning. Just looked out and it hasn't changed. The glass is down slightly at 1025mb. The forecast is for a day of scattered cloud and sunny intervals. The east wind is light to moderate giving a high of 16C and a low of 10C with a wind chill later in the day of -3C. The outlook is for another three days of this cool, bright dry weather but then the chance of cloud and showers increases.
05:30. A cool, dry walk under a clear sky. That's about it except for a conversation I had with the bloke who waters the hanging baskets. He asked where Jack was and when I told him he offered me a 3 year old bulldog bitch with all its papers that he knows of at Gisburn that's free to a good home. I told him not to tempt me but all my instincts were to take it. I shall not deviate, at my age it isn't fair to have a dog and expect others to deal with it when I die. Hard but necessary.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Right decision Stanley, you’ve done your bit for dogs, many times over 😊
26% of the UK adult population have a dog (that’s 9.9million dogs)
And that guy you spoke to meets a lot of people, he will help to find someone to adopt the dog. 👍
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Cathy, Susan said the same thing. What troubles me is that it belongs to a couple who have got together and have 4 kids between them and the bitch has become a nuisance. Solution? Lock it in the garage.... It's so cruel.
Yesterday was cool but fair and at 20:00 it was cool and dry with a clearing sky and a light breeze. This morning it was still the same but perfectly clear and calm. No change since. The glass started falling yesterday afternoon and this morning is on 1020mb. The forecast is for a clear sunny day with cloud coming in late tonight. The wind is a brisk ENE gusting to 30mph at times. It gives a high of 16C and a low of 10C with a chill of -3C all day. Two more sunny days to come, rain forecast for Tuesday and then a drop in temperature with cold nights.
05:20. Back from an early walk. The sky is clear and stars visible but there is scattered high cloud. The wind is moderate and cool, getting very close to Crombie weather first thing in the morning! Definitely single figure country. The bonus is that the air is like wine!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

If you see the chap again advise the family to contact Pendle Dogs in Need. Gisburn is just outside their area but they might be prepared to take the dog in. Bull breeds seem to be much in demand but it's essential they go to a well chosen home as there are some bad folk out there!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Welcome to Autumn, it's the Equinox today. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wendy and I suspect that the bulldog in Gisburn has been rescued.
While we were away... summer has ended and today we move into cooler if not colder weather. It's raining at the moment and we are promised rain all day. Over the last three days the glass has fallen and is on 995mb. The wind is light, starts in the west but then we get into a northerly flow tending to the East, only light but it gives an early high of 12C and 6C low later. Only a light wind chill but it will feel like single figures all day. Wrap up warm!
05:35.My dad always said that there is a providence that looks after drunken men and idiots. I think he was right. I have a had a dry walk, calm, mild and a break in the overcast. It started raining as I got back home.
The bulldog. I saw the man, he says that the dog Wendy noted is not the one, the Gisburn dog is a three year old English Bulldog bitch. He is seeing the woman tomorrow and will recommend she calls Pendle Rescue.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

That's a shame, it just shows how many dogs there are out there needing a new home. Pendle Dogs in Need secured foster homes for 2 young bull breed dogs yesterday, both described as family dogs.
Dark and damp this morning!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There is hope yet Wendy. He said he'd let me know what happens. He's really exercised about the dog and I think he might get a result.
The rain has come in and it's a cold wet morning now. Second walk will be done though. Must keep my legs going and I love the clean fresh air!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was cool, wet and gloomy. We got a dry walk in in the afternoon but only just. At 20:00 it was overcast and raining. First thing this morning it was overcast, calm and dry. Basically it hasn't changed but I see there are some isolated spots of rain. The glass continues its steady fall and this morning is on 989mb. The forecast is for rain to arrive around 07:00 and be with us all day until late this evening. The light to moderate east wind tends to the south and gives us a high of 10C and a low of 6C tonight with a wind chill of up to -2C. The outlook is generally drier but similar temperatures with cooler nights. A grass frost isn't far away.
05:35. I've had my early walk, it's cool, calm, overcast but still dry. Saw one of the blokes I encounter every morning and he asked me about Jack. I told him what had happened and he said that others had commented on the fact that I was dog-less. I didn't realise people were talking about me!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

They probably set their clock by you Stanley :laugh5: At least they are not talking AT you :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That could be right Cathy! We are almost a little community, the early workers and the early dog walkers.
Yesterday was wet and gloomy, at 20:00 it had stopped raining. First thing this morning it was calm and cold with a clear sky and a heavy dew. I've had my early walk and it is clear and very cold in the wind which is rising, we are into Crombie weather! The glass started rising yesterday afternoon, it's on 996mb and still rising. The forecast is for a clear cold day with good sun, cloud starting to build this afternoon. The constant WNW wind is brisk and later will gust to close to 35mph. The high will be 11C and the low 3C tonight, could be a grass frost. The wind chill is as much as -4C and later this morning the perceived temperature will be down to 2C.This is the first morning when I can honestly say it is cold. One thing of note is that they have started flagging the area round the Jubilee Fountain.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was cold clear and dry. Same at 20:00 and first thing this morning. I have had my early walk, dry, clear sky and a very cold NW wind. The glass has risen slowly over the last 24 hours and this morning is on 1007mb and still rising. The forecast is for it to stay dry and clear until midday when cloud will start to build. The mainly Northerly wind is moderate and constant giving a high of 11C and a low of 4C with a constant -3C wind chill which keeps us in single figures all day getting as low as 0C during the morning. The outlook is for similar weather for three days and then no warmer but a chance of rain.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cool but nice yesterday and the same at 20:00. First thing this morning it was cold calm and mostly clear. I've had my early walk and it's the same, we have a light cold north wind an almost clear sky, some high scattered thin cloud and we are not far off a frost. The flagging round the Jubilee Fountain is well advanced, just the trick one left that need cutting. I note that up-lighters have been installed round the base of the fountain. The glass is up on 1012mb. The forecast is very similar to yesterday, clear and sunny until noon and then increasing amounts of cloud into tonight. The constant light NW/WNW wind gives a high of 13C and a low of 4C with a -2C wind chill. The outlook is for similar cold weather and after the next couple of days there is a chance of rain as an Atlantic flow establishes. Not much doubt we are into real back end country now, the first frosts are not far away. But this is par for the course, winter comes every year and I doubt if it will be any different this year. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We had a touch of frost yesterday morning.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I am definitely feeling the benefit of putting insulation in the kitchen roof.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No frost this morning down here and it's a nice sunny morning. Not too cold because the wind is less than yesterday.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

It's a lovely morning down here, been out putting the second coat of paint on the fence.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Lovely here too, much more sunshine than was forecast.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree, Yesterday was a very pleasant day and afternoon as well. At 20:00 it was calm and cooling down. First thing this morning it was calm, dry and cold but as far as I could see some cloud coming in. Earlier it was clearer with an almost full moon but that is setting in the west already. I've just looked out and it's clearer now, still calm and cold. The glass is down a touch on just under 1010mb. The forecast is for sunny intervals until Noon then clouding over with a chance of a shower this evening. The constant west wind is very light all day giving a high of 13C and a low of 6C with negligible wind chill. The outlook is for similar weather, mainly dry but we could see wind and rain on Wednesday.
05:35. A bracing early walk. Calm, clear sky, dry and a sharp white frost. The air is like wine and it's a pleasure to take a deep breath!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Light rain came in yesterday at 17:00 as forecast, at 20:00 it was damp but had stopped raining. First thing this morning it was calm, cool foggy and damp and that hasn't changed.

Here's what Barlick looks like this morning, calm, cool and foggy! The glass is up a touch on 1011mb. The forecast is for a dry day overall with sunny spells after this early fog clears. The constant west wind is very light all day and gives us a high of 14C with a low of 8C with no chill until later this evening when it could be -2C. Very little alteration in the outlook except that tomorrow we could have wind and rain. Definitely back end.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The mist is just starting to rise.
20200929_071159.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Seasons”