TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

I never saw any snow yesterday but very cold rain in the late afternoon. At 21:00 we had a light breeze and cold rain. First thing this morning it was dry, just, and we had a light overcast but the moon was visible overhead. Just had a look and it's calm, cold and dry. The overcast has thickened and the moon has vanished behind it. The glass is spectacularly low on 968mb, I have checked and this looks like a reasonably accurate reading. The forecast is for a wet day after 09:00 and this could fall as snow at any time. The wind is a constant light to moderate NW giving a high of 3C and a low of 1C with a wind chill that could be as much as -4C. The outlook is for similar weather but it might be a bit dryer. Enjoy!
05:20 Just back from my walk. The NW wind is getting up and it';s very cold but not freezing. The overcast is broken and the moon has come back to visit us. The thin cloud is scudding across the sky, it looks wild. I'm listening to the shipping forecast, lots of Force 10 and even a couple of Violent Storm 11 winds blowing to the north. The glass is still falling and is down on 967. This matches the low reading at Ronaldsway and while it may be a bit pessimistic, not much!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's cold and it's snowing lightly.
The glass has fallen further to 965mb.
I am pleased to say it is warm and dry in here.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The glass reached its nadir at 14:30 and 964mb, it stopped snowing then. At 21:00 the slush had melted and it was calm, clouded and light rain. Same now and the glass is up on 978mb. The forecast is for a wet start, could be snow, but that stops before 06:00 and after that it is cloudy. The wind will be a moderate NE giving a high of 5C and a low of 0C with as much as -6C wind chill. The outlook is for similar weather so wrap up warm.
05:20. I've had my walk, its cold and overcast with light rain. Luckily the wind hasn't risen yet so I wasn't exposed to the full wind chill which is going to be bitter.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Overall yesterday was dry but very cold. At 21:00 we had light cold rain from and overcast sky. First thing this morning the overcast had thinned enough to make the moon visible and we had light rain. Since then the cloud has increased and we still have very light rain. The glass is up on 996mb and still rising slowly. The forecast is for an overcast day with no actual rain, just a very light drizzle at times that they are calling 'mist'. The mainly WNW wind is very light and gives a high of 5C and a low of 1C with a -2C wind chill at times. The outlook is for similar weather all week. Enjoy!
05:25. Back from my walk. Cold, calm, overcast and light rain. As exciting as that!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It stopped being damp (Not really rain...) yesterday afternoon for long enough for me to get a dry walk in round the Green. By 20:00 it was damp again but calm. First thing this morning it was still damping, it was calm cold and we had a thin broken overcast, just the loom of the moon through the cloud. Just had a look out and not a lot of change, light broken cloud on a North wind, the moon popped out but then ducked back in immediately. The glass is falling after rising yesterday and is on 995mb. The forecast is for a cloudy start but sunny by late morning and all afternoon. The variable wind starts in the North and by this evening is in the West, it is light all day giving a high of 3C and a low of 1C with a -2C wind chill later. The outlook is for a wet cold day tomorrow, then cold dull weather for the rest of the week. I can't begin to realise that it's just over a fortnight to Xmas Day. No sense of that at all. Is it just me?
05:15. Back from my early walk. Calm, dry and cool. 100% overcast, no sign of the moon. Very quiet, just one man seen draped across the top of the waste bin at the entrance to the Pioneer Car Park next to the fire station. I did not enquire after his health, he was moving so there is hope!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a bright cold day with plenty of sun. At 21:00 it was clear cold and dry. Same first thing this morning but by 04:400 it was starting to rain. I am back from my early walk, a cold wind and significant rain, not the best walk I have ever had! The forecast is simple, rain all day. The wind is a constant moderate SW giving a high of 5C and a low of 4C with a -4C wind chill most of the day taking us below freezing at times. The outlook is for similar weather, only the amount of rain will vary as the Atlantic fronts come in.
One thing that has puzzled me both yesterday and this morning is why we have a set of temporary traffic lights operating on a one way system at the pedestrian crossing to Post Office Corner. There must be a reason for them but it's not obvious.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 08 Dec 2020, 05:39 One thing that has puzzled me both yesterday and this morning is why we have a set of temporary traffic lights operating on a one way system at the pedestrian crossing to Post Office Corner. There must be a reason for them but it's not obvious.
Probably to add a bit of excitement to Barlick's life. If you do get caught up in this extra bit of Christmas cheer remember to wear your mask and observe social distancing. :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It is a bit of a puzzle Ken. A bit like the cast iron plaque that tells you that it is an offence to throw stones at it. I'm sure there is a reason for it......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 08 Dec 2020, 08:22
Stanley wrote: 08 Dec 2020, 05:39 One thing that has puzzled me both yesterday and this morning is why we have a set of temporary traffic lights operating on a one way system at the pedestrian crossing to Post Office Corner. There must be a reason for them but it's not obvious.
Probably to add a bit of excitement to Barlick's life. If you do get caught up in this extra bit of Christmas cheer remember to wear your mask and observe social distancing. :biggrin2:
They're replacing a manhole cover on the footpath. Apparently the traffic management is so they can park their van. Not sure why they couldn't use the car park which is also next to the manhole...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Big Kev wrote: 08 Dec 2020, 10:38 Not sure why they couldn't use the car park which is also next to the manhole...
Maybe because David Whipp's tent is in the way? :extrawink:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

But it isn't Ian. They have removed the bollard next to the Toilets so that the fish van and mobile bank can have access to the pavement. I suspect that Elfin Safety is at the root of this!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It finally almost stopped raining in the afternoon so I did have my walk. At 21:00 it was the same, not quite dry. This morning it is cold dry and overcast with a a light breeze. The glass is rising and is on just above 998mb. The forecast is dead simple, cloud all day, no mention of rain. The wind is light all day, starts in the west and ends as SE. It gives a high of 6C and a low of 3C with a -2C wind chill. The outlook is for another three days like this and then it could turn warmer but with rain.
05:15. Back from a pleasant walk, it's calm, dry and cool with thin broken cloud and the crescent moon is visible. Nothing to get excited about! Enjoy.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No rain was mentioned yesterday but at any time we were treated to a sort of light mist that just damped things. It was like that at 20:00 and first thing this morning. I've just popped out to have a look, it's calm, cool and dry with enough overcast to hide the moon. The glass is down on 994mb. The forecast is very similar to yesterday, overcast all day turning to light rain this evening from 18:00 on. The wind is a constant moderate SE giving a high of 6C, a low of 5C and a wind chill of -4C which means most of the day will feel near to freezing. Wrap up warm! The outlook is for wet cold weather until Monday when it suddenly brightens up a bit if we are lucky and it doesn't change before then.
05:10. Back from a very acceptable walk. We have a moderate breeze, overcast and cold but it's dry. Alright as long as you are dressed warmly and can keep moving.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Funny day yesterday, the 'cloudy' morning was bright with sunny spells but then went into serious gloom in the afternoon. By 20:00 we had rain and first thing this morning we still had light rain but now it has bated and it's just damp! The glass has fallen to 978mb and is still falling. The forecast is for the current mist to become drizzle and then light rain changing to cloudy this evening. The wind is a moderate SE falling away during the day and becoming light. The high is 7C and the low is 5C. The wind chill is -3C at the moment but falls away as the wind drops to -1C.
The outlook is changing. A quiet day tomorrow, very wet on Sunday and then a spell of brighter weather with some sun. I have little doubt this will change again!
05:00. I went for an early walk and it may have been a good plan. It was dry when I went out but by the time I was walking back home there was a light drizzle coming in on the moderate wind. But it's mild, I have had much worse in other Decembers!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

We had an alfresco lunch in Barlick yesterday, coffee and a chat with another couple for an hour. It was bloody cold but the coffee, from Frank Street Coffee House on Newtown, was good and kept us warm. It was nice to talk without Zoom :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was gloomy and we had occasional gaps in the drizzle. At 20:00 it was cool, calm and drizzling. Same first thing this morning. I've just checked and it is still the same but not actually drizzling, just damping! The glass is up on 987mb and still rising. The forecast is for light rain changing to cloudy at dinnertime. The light west wind becomes moderate at dinnertime and then subsides again. The high is 7C and the low is 3C, the wind chill peaks at -4C in the middle of the day. The outlook is for a wet day tomorrow and then possibly brighter and dryer into next week.
05:15. Back from a dry walk, it's calm, cold and 100% overcast. Nothing to suggest anything brighter later. Deep joy.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another day of gloom and drizzle yesterday. At 20:00 the sky was clear and we had brilliant stars. Same this morning but a few patches of low cloud. The glass rose all day yesterday and is on 997mb but now falling. The forecast is dead simple, heavy rain coming in around 07:00 and persisting all day. The constant SE wind starts light but becomes brisk later with gusts to 30mph giving a high of 8C and a low of 7C with a chill of -4C for most of the day. Deep Joy! The outlook is brighter and drier for a couple of days then back to the gloom.
04:50. Back from an early walk. The cloud has increased, we now have 100% overcast. The wind hasn't got up yet and it's still dry, going out early could have been a good move.
One strange occurrence, as I came back down the back street I was joined by a large young woman called Tina who was with drink taken. She wanted to high five me but I successfully evaded her attentions and got indoors. Life can get quite surreal at times. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Gloom and drizzle again yesterday. At 21:00 it was showing signs of drying up for the first time all day. At 3AM this morning the flags were dry but it had just started to rain. Bit earlier than the forecast suggested, they had 05:00 for the start of the rain. At 04:40 I realised the rain had stopped and so I went out immediately for a dry walk. I almost got it, it started raining again on a significant wind as we got near home. The glass has fallen to 983mb. The forecast is for rain, heavy this morning and then as showers with sunny intervals in the early afternoon and then reverting to cloud. The wind is a brisk SW all day gusting to 35mph and giving a high of 8C and a low of 5C with a wind chill of -4C for most of the day. So another day like yesterday, deep joy! The outlook is for variable mixed weather like this. Dryer tomorrow but rain on Wednesday. I think it's December.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was strange, much brighter in the morning than forecast and so basically showers all day. At 20:00 it was almost dry but not quite and still a bit windy. First thing this morning we had a breeze and it was dry but the sky was overcast. The glass has risen to 993mb. The forecast is for a dry day with cloud in the morning breaking to give sunny intervals this afternoon. The mainly southerly wind is constant and moderate giving a high of 7C and a low of 5C with a wind chill of -4C most of the day. So basically a cold day but OK if you wrap up warm. The outlook is mixed, expect a wet day tomorrow then dryer and even a chance of double figures on Friday. Not boring weather!
05:05. Back from an earl,y walk, cool and dry with a moderate breeze. There must be some breaks in the cloud because I could see some stars. It could be a reasonable day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was much brighter and an improvement. At 20:00 it was calm, cold and dry. Same first thing this morning with a high overcast. I've just looked out and the wind is rising and we have the first spots of rain. The glass is up slightly on 998mb but falling. The forecast is for rain all day until 17:00. The SE wind is constant and brisk gusting to 40mph. The high is 8C and the low 5C with a -4C wind chill most of the day. The outlook is for drier brighter weather and possibly warmer for a few days. This could change as the weather is unstable at the moment.
05:00. Back from my walk. Cold, Light rain and the wind has started to rise but isn't too bad yet. Very quiet out there....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I didn't bother with a walk after shed this morning, it was cold wet and windy and I had been on my feet for two hours so I decided I didn't need a wuther. I've had my second sleep and I'm looking at the same weather, my midday walk may go by the board as well. I value exercise but there are limits!
later at 13:30... I've just stuck my head outside and it's still cold wet and windy. The Xmas Edition of Private Eye has just arrived. That clinches it, back door locked, kettle on and lets get reading.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think we can all agree that yesterday was a lousy wet day! At 20:00 it was still raining. This morning we still have light rain and the glass is up on 1000mb and rising. The forecast is for this light rain to cease and for us to have a dry day. The constant moderate SW wind gives us a high and a low of 7C with a wind chill of -4C until dinner and -3C after that. The outlook is for a warm day tomorrow and then four days of broken weather. It could quite possibly change day to day.
05:25. I've had my early walk, cold, windy but the cloud is breaking, I could see some stars and it's dry so on the whole not bad. I've see much worse in mid December. The pressure readings at Ronaldsway match mine here in Barlick. I always like that independent check.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was dry until 15:00 when I was coming home from shopping, it started raining. At 20:00 it was raining and was the same first thing this morning but very mild. It's stopped raining now and we have a very mild wind drying things up fast. The glass rose slightly yesterday and then fell, it is back on 1000mb where it was yesterday. The forecast is fro it to be dry until late morning when heavy rain will come in for the rest of the day. The constant southerly wind is brisk and gusty up to 40mph at times. It will give a high of 12C and a low of 8C with a -4C chill most of the day. The outlook is for brighter cooler weather with showers for the next five days but could change...
05:10. Back from my walk. Very pleasant, it's breezy and overcast but very mild and dry. No Crombie needed!
I noted a new light on top of the house in Co-operative Street that has the flagpole. I realised this morning that it's showering the surroundings with beams of light. This means red and green stars on the road. First time I have ever seen Xmas lights like that.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I noted a new light on top of the house in Co-operative Street that has the flagpole. I realised this morning that it's showering the surroundings with beams of light. This means red and green stars on the road. First time I have ever seen Xmas lights like that.

I think this suggests you haven't been in a nightclub or a rave recently. They don't tend to have them in tap rooms. :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Quite right Ken, never is the answer!
Looking at the weather I decided not to have a bracing walk in the rain but do some cooking instead.
I should think the chances of a white Xmas are sub zero..... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”