TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Gloria

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Gloria »

Heavy and overcast for the most of yesterday. Today is noticeably cooler, overcast and missly.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

London is and has been bright, dry , sunny , hot. (maxing out about 29deg), bit of a cooling breeze if you can find it. Edgebaston yesterday had good batting weather (unless you were English as it was also good bowling weather)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon was pleasant while the sun was out but the wind was chilly if you were sat when it went in. At 20:00 we had overcast and a light breeze, not as oppressive as it has been. This morning it was calm and clear first thing but has clouded over now. The glass is up slightly on 1019mb. The forecast is for cloud but plenty of sun breaking through. The light variable westerly wind gives a high of 20C and a low of 12C with a chill of -2C later this afternoon. The main feature of the outlook is less sun, warnings of thunder and lower temperatures.
I've had my early walk, cool, calm and 80% overcast.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

We have the odd white cloud and feeling fresh and warm.
Gloria
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday there was plenty of sun and it was very strong. By 20:00 we had cloud coming in but later in the night the sky was clear. First thing this morning It was calm with broken cloud, the same now and early sun is coming in. The glass has fallen sharply to 1008mb. The forecast is for a sunny start but perhaps thunder later from noon onwards. The light westerly wind gives a high of 19C and a low of 11C with perhaps a -2C chill. Thunder forecast until tomorrow night and after that a lack lustre forecast. Let's see what happens today and tomorrow.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Had my early walk. Enough cloud in the east to block the sun at the moment. Otherwise calm and cool....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've had my noon walk, much hotter than the forecast said.Thunder is a possibility this afternoon.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

We have had a muggy day and now odd spits of rain
Gloria
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No rain or thunder here. The afternoon was sunny spells and by 20:00 it was overcast. This morning it's calm close and cloudy. The glass is down on 1006mb. The forecast looks much the same as yesterday, sunny spells and the threat of a thundery breakdown. The wind is a steady light mainly WNW giving 18C and 8C tonight with hardly any chill during the day. Looking more closely at the thunder warning it seems to be for areas to the SE of us. The outlook is for similar weather but forget the thunder!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We escaped the thunder again yesterday and at the end of the day at 20:00 it was calm, mild, partly cloudy but sun coming in under the cloud. First thing this morning we had cloud cover but as it has got light the sky has cleared.
The glass is up and slightly over 1014mb, still rising. The forecast is for a cloudy day. The light wind is NW at the moment but will shortly swing to ENE giving a high of 17C and a low of 10C with a -2C wind chill later. The outlook is for unexciting cloudy weather.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

We’ve had no rain or thunder either in west lancs, today has the makings of a nice day.
Gloria
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday we were threatened with a months worth of rain in one spell but saw no rain. We had overcast and at 20:00 it was sunny because the sun was getting in under the clouds. It was cloudy but dry during the night and first thing this morning it was clear calm and cool. It is still the same now. The glass is down slightly on 1012mb. The forecast is for a sunny start but clouding as the day advances. The light SE wind gives us a high of 18C and a low of 10C with a very slight wind chill later. The outlook is for cooler weather, nothing exciting. I note that we are in a period of very high pollen levels and feel sorry for those who suffer from hayfever. This must be bad weather for them.
Another thing that strikes me is that we need rain. It seems quite a while since we had a significant fall.
05:30. I've been for a walk. We have high broken cloud. It looks clearer in the East but it's calm and the cloud is moving very slowly.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was mostly overcast an d today looks to be the same. At 20:00 it was clear and the moon was high in the southern sky. This morning first thing it was overcast but dry, since then it has started raining. The glass is down a bit on 1007mb. The forecast is for light rain until about 09:00 and then cloudy all day. The constant light to moderate east wind gives a high of 14C and a low of 8C with a -2C chill. The outlook for the next five days is similar to today, not flaming June!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

It’s rained here overnight, but nothing heavy, and we’ve got the odd bit of drizzle still.
Gloria
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was overcast. At 20:00 we had a clear sky and strong evening sun, this morning first thing it was mostly clear and is still the same, just a few wisps of high thin cloud. The glass is up slightly on 1009mb. The forecast is for a dry but overcast day all day. The wind is calm or light at the moment but by 09:00 will be a moderate NE giving a high of 13C and a low of 5C with a -2C chill. At the moment the betting is that there will be more sun than forecast. The outlook is for warmer but changeable weather, nothing exciting.....
Today is the longest day and once more it looks as though we shan't see all of it due to cloud. I've been for a walk and we have sun but only just....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Aye, welcome to the first day of Summer. Hard to believe that from now on the days will be shortening. Late Spring run up has generally been OK if a bit of a dodgy start. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 08:46 Aye, welcome to the first day of Summer. Hard to believe that from now on the days will be shortening. Late Spring run up has generally been OK if a bit of a dodgy start. :smile:
And what a glorious first day of summer it is, not. The sun is forecast to come out at 8 this evening :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

We went to our Carla's over in Silsden yesterday for tea and noticed the best part of the day was the latter end. Quite warm in the sun after tea. Bit of a change today.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday the sun was AWOL all day. At 20:00 it was clear and chilly. The sky cleared during the night and at 23:00 it was still light. First thing this morning it's calm, clear and cool. The glass is up on almost 1019mb. The forecast is for a mainly sunny day, perhaps more cloud this afternoon. The NW wind is light until this evening and gives us a high of 17C and a low of 7C with a chill of -2C this evening. No flaming summer weather in the forecast, looks cool, dull and perhaps a bit of drizzle. The nights start to draw in, winter is on its way.... :biggrin2:
Later... I noticed that the CH had briefly kicked in. It must be chillier than I thought. (Forecasts of frost in some Northern Scottish glens last might.....)
Later... I've had an early walk. We have a clear sky and full sun but chilly enough to trigger the central heating. Flaming June?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast was right, we lost the sun at about 11:00.
Lowest June temperature since 2012 in Scotland, almost -3C in some northern glens.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday the sun came back as the sky cleared in the evening. At 20:00 we had a light breeze and full sun. It's a full moon tomorrow and at midnight we had a big moon in the SW. First thing this morning it was clear calm and cool. The glass is up a trifle on 1020mb. The forecast is for a sunny start but clouding by late morning. (Sue weather!) The light west wind tends to the north at first and then settles as a westerly and increases slightly as the day progresses giving us a tropical high of 15C and a low of 12C with a -2 chill in the afternoon. The outlook is for slightly warmer weather but dull.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I decided it was a cool enough day to wear my A2 Leather flying jacket so I Got it out and gave it a coat of leather dressing.
My old mate Bob Jacobsen, who was a tail gunner on B17s with the 100th Bomber Group at Diss in Norfolk, inspected the jacket when I bought it at Berman's in Twin Cities and pronounced it a good replica. He said they didn't wear the sheepskin lined one, it was too cumbersome, it's lined with faux silk.
I bought it because it was on sale, last of a line they had stopped selling. $80, a bargain.
Same quality as this costs around $300 today. The easiest way to judge the quality of replicas is to weigh them. The lighter they are, the better.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was cloudy all day. At 20:00 it was calm and cloudy but dry. This morning the flags were drying but there was evidence there had been a shower during the night. Still overcast. I've just popped me head out and still the same, very uniform low cloud cover. The glass is down a shade on 1019mb. The forecast is for a cloudy start but sunny intervals from noon onwards. The light to moderate west wind gives us a high of 19C and a low of 11C tonight with a -3 wind chill when it is at its strongest this afternoon. Cooler tomorrow and Saturday and then we seem to move into warmer and sunnier weather.... (Could this be summer?)
Later.... I went for a short walk. Overcast and misty. We have had a very short spatter of rain, very big drops but dry again now....
06:40. Light rain, enough to wet the roofs.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was sunny but by 20:00 it was raining. Still raining first thing this morning and it hasn't stopped yet. Not complaining, the growers need it. The glass is down on 1012 and still falling. The forecast is for rain all day. The light NE wind gives us a high of 13C and a low of 10C with a -2C chill. The outlook is for warmer, dryer weather, about time too!
06:00. No walk this morning, it's still raining.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's stopped raining but it's cold out there, definitely not flaming June!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”