TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Big Kev »

Just been to Barlick Aldi, there's a lot of sleet in that rain. It's currently 2 degrees so there's a good chance of some snow overnight.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It has been (and still is) a stormy night. The wind was rising and it had started raining at 20:00. This morning we have slush on the ground and white roofs. The Glass fell to 983mb but has recovered to 987mb. The forecast is for a dry cloudy day. The NNW wind is strong and is still gusting to over 50mph but will gradually ease to 35mph gusts. The high will be 2C and the low -4C with as much as a -5C chill at times. The result is effectively sub zero temperatures all day. Two more days of very cold weather than it rains on Tuesday and warms up a bit.
I wonder what it is like at Lower Burnt Hill?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It's been a wild night! Strong wind coming from the North is as bad as it gets for us as we have no shelter from it at all. Luckily it's surprisingly rare. The door we use all the time is on the north side and was on the list for changing before Col became ill. There are huge gaps all round it and a cat flap and a stupid letter box that opens inwards, the wind was whistling loudly through them all night. I had to lock the cat flap and still can't unlock it as it just flies open.
There is quite a bit of snow, it's a white world but the gritter is out up and down the road. Other people on the Colne side of the hill have lost power but ours comes up from Kelbrook and is fine.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As I suspected Wendy. Glad you have no major damage. The wind is dropping down here. Our lights are flickering but no actual cuts yet.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 07:13 Other people on the Colne side of the hill have lost power but ours comes up from Kelbrook and is fine.
The lights were flickering here around 10pm last night. There's just a dusting of snow, I would imagine the wind has blown most of it away.
20211127_075345.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

We’ve no snow, but the gale blew down one of our biggest trees right across the road, that’s been entertaining trying to move that. We’ve got the road open thanks to all who helped, don’t want that to happen again.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Gosh, lucky it fell onto the road Gloria 😲
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Sounds nasty Gloria, there are reports of trees down all over the area. We are staying put today, there is about 4 inches of snow here some of it stuck solidly to the windward side of walls and fences. We were meant to be going to see friends in Skipton today and they didn't seem to believe that we had had snow when we made our excuses.
20211127_100346.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Cathy wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 09:48 Gosh, lucky it fell onto the road Gloria 😲
If it had fallen any other way it would just have hit more trees, luckily no cars were under it and it was just coming light. We are on a bendy unlit country lane so it could have been quite a hazard, especially if it had been a weekday, it can be a bit of a rabbit run.
Gloria
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Susan had to make a detour for this fallen tree near Winster in Derbyshire yesterday morning.
Wendy, that pic of yours looks like monochrome.... Remarkable what an extra 500 feet can do to the micro-climate.
Yesterday was cold but dry. At 20:00 the sky was clearing, the wind had dropped and it was already freezing. This morning it's calm, clear and we have a hard frost. The glass has risen to 1004mb and looks steady. The forecast is for a dry bright day with plenty of sunny spells. The NW wind is moderate giving a high of 2C and a low of -3C with as much as -5C wind chill. Another cold dry day tomorrow and then we revert to more unsettled Atlantic weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

DAA9BB73-23DE-43B8-B685-1B4DBD6BACED.png
The Bureau of Meteorology has said that Australia can expect more rain this Summer, which will hopefully lessen the amount of Bushfires .

Fingers crossed 😊
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Cathy. Margaret says they had 38C in Perth yesterday and it's hot again today. We have a very gentle fall of snow at the moment....

A bit later......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

We have snow, which is quite rare for us.
Gloria
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See above Gloria....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Breaking news.... Margaret is having a picnic on the beach at Perth.....

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 09:59 Sounds nasty Gloria, there are reports of trees down all over the area. We are staying put today, there is about 4 inches of snow here some of it stuck solidly to the windward side of walls and fences. We were meant to be going to see friends in Skipton today and they didn't seem to believe that we had had snow when we made our excuses.

20211127_100346.jpg
You OK up there in the mountains Wendy? It's hoofing it down here.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Here too Kev but at least there isn't a howling gale today. Actually, I think it might have stopped now and we are all snug and warm with everything we need.
20211128_141045.jpg

20211128_141128.jpg
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

London (SW) has been cold the last few days, as predicted. Down to 1deg C , maybe a little less. The wind from the north brought some rain, and pushed most of the remaining large leaves off the trees. Autumn this year started early , with just a few bright hours of warming sun. After tomorrow the temps should start to rise as the warmer westerlies return. Tottenhams Match this Afternoon at Turf Moor , Burnley was called off 50mins before kick off - snow had been cleared from the pitch but it was covered again within 15mins reports the BBC. Yesterday the BBC reported the closure due to snow of the M62 going past Rochdale and much rail travel disruption north of York effectively. At present a mums flat the flats above and below are unoccupied and any heat is just leaking away and even the double glazing is not sheltering the rooms. The Christmas Decoration ( a short string of LED lights went up and gives the illusion of warmth and cosyness in winter
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

West Ham are probably regretting that their match at Man City this afternoon was not called off. Snow looks like its not enough to abandon the game but conditions difficult - though obviously the same for both teams (hopefully not unlucky if the wind switches direction for the 2nd half - I have seen that happen). I wonder how modern euro players would have coped in the 1950s with the heavy ball , the muddy quagmires and the fog and the neccessary heavy boots, the game has move from one of attrition to one of amazing skill but the physical conditions still play a part. I assume the hot Vimto and Bovril is on tap for the fans at the game.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wendy's report covers me as well. Snug and warm and everything I need, (And no need to go out to feed the hens!)
Yesterday afternoon the wind dropped and by 20:00 it was almost calm and the sky was clearing. First thing this morning it is calm, a hard frost and the sky is clear except for some scattered very thin cloud. The glass is up slightly on 1009mb. The forecast is for an overcast day and for rain to come in this evening. The westerly wind is light until this evening when it rises as the rain comes in. We have a high of 3C and a low of 3C with a wind chill that gets to be -4C this evening as the wind that brings the rain in starts to gust to almost 40mph. The outlook is for more unsettled weather, on the whole, more wintry.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday the rain started to come in as mizzle in the late afternoon. By 20:00 we had light rain and it was warmer. First thing this morning all the snow had gone, it was mild, calm and dry. It's still dry as I write this. The glass is on 1005mb and the forecast is for rain all day. The westerly wind is brisk and will gust to 35mph giving a high of 9C and a low of 5C with a -3C wind chill all day. The outlook is for us to revert to colder, brighter and dryer weather starting tomorrow.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday it rained all day and was still raining at 20:00. First thing this morning we had a light breeze and rain, it has stopped raining now but everything is wet and cold! The glass fell all day yesterday but is rising now, it's on 987mb. The forecast is for broken cloud with light rain and sunny intervals late morning. The NW wind is brisk and gusts to 35mph giving a high of 6C and a low of -1C with a -5C wind chill for much of the day. Wrap up warm! The outlook is for similar broken weather except for tomorrow which is brighter and colder.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday we had the light rain late in the morning. At 20:00 it had dried up, the sky had cleared and we had a frost. First thing this morning it was calm clear and very cold, it's still the same now. The glass has jumped to 1005mb. The forecast is for full sun until late afternoon. The constant NW wind is light to moderate and gives a high of 2C and a low of 0C with as much as -5C wind chill. The result is a perceived temperature below zero all day so wrap up well. The outlook is for changeable weather, not a lot of rain and tending to get colder after a slightly warmer day tomorrow.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not sure what effect it will have but I have just done the Xmas haircut. Can't do with hair on me head! (And there are all these people bothered about being bald.... )
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Nice one Stanley. Hair loss has never bothered me, it was a bit of a forgone conclusion as the trait runs in the male line of the family. My dad and all his brothers apart from Bill all lost their hair in their twenties. I made it until I was in my forties. Sally does my 3mm trim for what there is left. :extrawink: :laugh5:
Ian

Return to “Seasons”